BLESSINGS OF SAND, CURSES OF PAPER
RATING: R+
 

     The shock still hadn’t faded from Dana Scully’s mind.  The horrible vision of the burning box car and the hollow feeling in her soul persisted. She had spent the previous night at her mother’s place, as Skinner stood vigil outside her door. She cried in silence so he wouldn’t worry and come in to comfort her. Only one man had the right to see her so alone and frightened.  He earned the right years ago when he sacrificed his passion for her peace.  In a small cottage in Loch Ness, a damaged soul was healed by a kind loving heart.  Since then that same heart had been wounded and neglected, betrayed and broken, but whenever her soul needed mending, he found the love in his heart to heal her.  Only that man with the loving heart would ever be allowed inside.

     Skinner offered to stay outside her home to guard against intruders but she declined.  She had no desire for a bodyguard.  If they came for her, she would fight them openly so others would know their crimes.  Such was her strength and conviction.  Even so, she honestly didn’t expect them to be so bold.

    So for the first time since being reunited with Mulder, Scully spent the night alone, truly alone.  Even the nights when she didn’t sleep with Mulder, she felt him near in her heart. Until tonight. She wondered if this was how he felt when she was gone.  He had said very little of his experiences during that time period, as if the whole incident was a great void of memory and time for them both.  The only clear memory she had of that period was a brief dream-like encounter with Mulder when their soul merged with erotic passion, an event Melissa claimed ‘channeled’ through her.   As Scully tossed and turned in her bed, she considered asking Melissa for her help in ‘reaching’ Mulder but quickly dismissed the idea.  It was easier to believe Mulder was dead than to hope his soul was adrift in the spirit world.

    A gentle knock on the front door distracted her from her depressing reflections.  She peered through the peep-hole expecting to see Skinner standing there, apologizing for his tenacity and insisting that he remain on guard at her door.  <No, only Mulder would force such an issue. >  Scully thought to herself.  Skinner was a man who could be taken at face value and indeed, it was not him at her door.  So why was Frohike calling on her at 1 AM?

    Standing in her doorway, holding a nearly empty wine bottle, Frohike spoke hesitantly.  “I know it’s late but I heard the news.” He paused as he saw the weariness in her eyes and apologized “Maybe I should go. Pardon my presumptuousness.”  Her eyes turned dark and sympathetic, and she asked him how much he had to drink.  Holding up the bottle, he mused, “Do you recycle?” She returned a sad smile and asked him in.

    She made coffee to sober up her late night visitor.  As they sat in kitchen, she broke the silence by commenting, “I suppose I needed to contact you at some point. There may be no official confirmation of his death for months but you are the executor of his will.”

    Frohike sighed between sips of black coffee. “I only took the job because I thought he was too stubborn to die.  After all, he had a lot to live for.” He gently touched her hand and tried to look directly at her but seeing her pain only worsened his so he stared back at his cup.

   Scully affectionately squeezed his hand and replied, “He asked you because he trusted you. And because he knew you’d look out for my interests as well.”  The older man muttered a quiet ‘thanks’ as Scully recalled the decisions she and Mulder made after her disappearance.

     When they withdrew their petition to adopt Hope, they took a serious look at their marriage. Although it was legally and spiritually binding, they still clung to their individual lives. She still had a circle of friends that only knew him by name, he still kept a separate apartment.  They agreed that, for whatever reason, they both felt more comfortable with a certain measure of distance that would allow them to retreat temporarily into the life they knew apart from one another.

     With that knowledge in mind, Mulder had insisted that their financial estates remain separate unless a contract was specifically entered into as a joint agreement.  He didn’t want to burden her with any of his past indiscretions that might come back to haunt him.  Scully reluctantly accepted his decision and held her questions about what type of things might ‘come back to haunt him.’  She suspected everything from the possibility that he may have fathered another child during their years apart to the likelihood that he incurred heavy debt financing his private search for Samantha. But since he had been suffering from the loss of Hope to another family, she didn’t want to cause him anymore grief. It was only now, with the certainty of his death looming over her, did she realize that forfeiting her responsibility and rights to his estate made her feel that much more distant from him.
 
    Frohike spoke sorrowfully, remembering Mulder. “He was a good friend. A redwood among mere sprouts.” The words were barely adequate to describe his departed friend but Scully understood what Frohike was trying to express.  There were no words that could ever be powerful enough to describe Mulder. Silence remained the best requiem in his honor.

    Frohike finally broke the quiet as he looked at Scully and said, “I guess this means he's passing you the torch.”

    Scully glance at him sadly. “Uh, I'm afraid not. I'm soon to be out of a job.”

   “Those sons of bitches.” Frohike swore. “They're rigging the game.”

    Scully sighed with resignation. “And like rats, they just scatter back into the woodpile.”

    “The rats that killed the cat.” Frohike replied as he showed her a news paper clipping reporting the death of Kenneth Soona, the man who hacked the DOD system and gave Mulder the files for which he died.  According to the article, Soona was killed execution style and his body dumped in the Trenton city landfill.

     As Scully scanned the article, she realized that Soona’s body was discovered two days after Mulder disappearance.  “Could they be so stupid?” she wondered out loud.

     Frohike raised an eyebrow. “You on to something?”

     Scully pursed her lips in thought.  “Maybe. But I don’t have access to the Bureau resources to check it out.”

    “You could come work with us.  We might be able to tap you in to what you need. If nothing else, you’d give the outfit a little class.” the Lone Gunman offered.

     Scully shook her head and said, “Thanks but I’m not quite ready to move in with you.  I think it’s time I call in some favors at the FBI.”

     Frohike gently patted her on the shoulder and replied, “I may be the executor for his will but you are his legacy. No man could be prouder.”

______________________________

     What neither Scully nor Frohike knew at the time was that Mulder had not yet surrendered his hold on life.  Although he escaped from the burning boxcar, his battered body could not escape from the desert’s slow death.  But in an odd twist of fate, the vultures which circled above him, waiting for the final hours, served as a distress signal, and he was rescued by Albert Hosteen and his tribesmen.

     They found Mulder, hidden beneath the rocks, along side a mysterious inhuman body, just like the ones Albert’s grandson found in the boxcar just a few days ago. Just like the one Albert himself found when he was a young man working in the same quarry.   The gray lifeless form that repulsed even the vultures was a part of the lie meant to obscure the evil of unwise men.  And just like the truth, Mulder’s life hung in the balance between now and forever gone.

    Albert’s son was anxious to call Scully as he promised once they found Mulder but Albert warned him that such a call might alert those who sought to kill ‘the FBI man’ and that any news his could give her would be premature. “His body has become tired and weak and it searches for rest.” Albert wisely told his son. “My fear for the FBI man is that his spirit does not want to be healed. That it wishes to join the spirit of his own father who had died and does not want to return to the world of the living.” So they carried Mulder to the ritual hogan in preparation for the Blessing Way chant, an ancient ceremony to summon ‘the Holy People’ who would come to help his spirit decide its fate.

    Mulder’s body rested underneath green boughs as Albert performed the ritual, just as he had seen his father perform it when he was a boy.  He had seen the healing power of the Blessing Way chant and knew that each step had a special purpose and had to be followed precisely. Meticulously, he created the spirit map in the sand and chanted with his people to call the Holy People to guide Mulder. As much as Albert wanted him to live, he knew Mulder’s spirit had to seek its own path.

     The chant carried Mulder’s spirit to a dark place, beyond his conscious mind and physical self.  It was not unlike the near-death experience he had after being shot two years ago but this time, he knew why he was there – to decide if the struggle to live was worthwhile.  He felt the presence of the Holy People surrounding him and from their essence a single figure emerged.  The familiar form of his old friend and mentor, Deep Throat, spoke to him.  His voice was as calm and as frank as it had been in life.

  “I come to you, old friend, with the dull clarity of the dead not to beckon you but to feel the fire and intensity that still live in you.” Deep Throat drew closer and continued. “There is truth here, old friend, but there's no justice or judgment without which truth is a vast, dead hollow. Go back. Do not look into the abyss or let the abyss look into you. Awaken the sleep of reason and fight the monsters within and without.”

     Mulder’s spirit stirred as he tried to respond. Mulder had already peered into the abyss and saw within it himself-his darkness and his hopelessness. <It’s where I belonged,> he thought.  <My reason and sense of justice is blinded by my passion which springs forth from the darkness to consume my noble purpose. I have no strength to fight the beast within.>  Despair washed over Mulder as his spirit slipped towards the void.

    As if to rebut his resignation, Deep Throat left him with a memory of an atrocity committed years ago to ignite the fire of purpose once again in his old friend. Mulder ‘saw’ how the aliens died in the boxcar. They shirked and ran in terror as cyanide canisters were lobbed into the enclosed space. They clawed and pounded at the walls trying to escape. Some began to pile up against the corner where he found his escape. Finally he heard a voice – a human voice – crying for help.

      Before Mulder could recover from the shock to the vision, he saw another figure emerge from the shadows to replace the first.  It was his father.  “Hello, son. I did not dare hope to see you so soon nor ever again hope to broker fate with a life to which I gave life.”  Mulder felt as if he could actually touch him.  No longer just spirit, Mulder sensed his flesh and blood arrive in this dark place where the dead spoke forgotten truths.

      An urgency pressed Bill Mulder to finally say the words he had tried so many times to say during his life. “The lies I told you were a pox and poison to my soul and now you are here because of them.  Lies I thought might bury forever a truth I could not live with. I stand here, ashamed of the choices I made so long ago, when you were just a boy. You are the memory, Fox. It lives in you. If you were to die now, the truth will die. And only the lies survive us.”

     Mulder began to understand.  His passion, his darkness, was a weapon, unwittingly forged by his father’s guilt.  As fire fights fires, Mulder had to suffer the lies as a youth so that he might know them and their power, as a man. Mulder felt life and hope returning to his spirit, as he asked, “My sister? Is she here?”

      “No.” his father replied.  “The thing that would destroy me, the truth I felt you must never learn is the truth you will find if you are to go forward.”

     Mulder closed his eyes and struggled with the responsibility of seeking the truth. In the end, his father gave his life for the truth, but could Mulder accept it? His father and family might be forever vilified and his own honor sacrificed for the ultimate truth.  But that had always been the choice. Why did he falter now? Mulder opened his eyes to speak to his father again but saw another father before him.  “Hello, son.” said Captain William Scully. “So we meet again at the threshold.”

     Mulder had ‘seen’ Scully’s father during his first near death experience but this time he seemed more settled and less threatening.  “So what’s the cost of truth? What’s the price of justice?  Your life, your honor, your love?  Life ends whether you make something of it or not, so you might as well give it meaning. And I learned in the service that honor isn’t something we’re given; it’s grows inside us as our devotion to duty melds with a higher purpose.  And love – there’s no question in my mind and in my heart that the love you and Dana share is everlasting. There will be conflict and questions and anger, but love isn’t about just getting along.  It’s about souls touching and sharing a spirit.  So what is the price of truth?”

     Mulder sighed heavily. “It’s not enough to die for the truth. You have to be willing to live for it.”

     Captain Scully nodded. “Go back. She’ll be there, waiting. Remember – she is the Truth, she is the Reason, she is the Love.”

     Mulder closed his eyes again and his whole body tingled with a new energy.  Dana was the key to choosing life. She was the ‘sleeping Reason’ that would awaken and help him fight the monsters. As the Holy People faded and his spirit prepared to rededicate itself to the battle, Mulder felt the presence of another familiar soul.   He opened his eyes and gazed upon a barely visible figure of a woman.  Melissa Scully had reached out to his spirit again.

    “Fox, you and Dana have a destiny. Sacrifice is part of the process. Seek to understand it instead of letting it draw you into the darkness.” she implored.  “There is power in the dark passions of jealousy and revenge but there is a greater force in the light of reason and love.”   Then she faded as well and Mulder listened to the silence of a new life being born within him.
_________________________________

    Scully walked through the main entrance to the FBI Headquarters where a friendly guard apologized for making her subject to the same security precautions as the general public.  She smiled in return, knowing he was just doing his job, but was surprised when she tripped the metal detector.  The guard apologized again as he passed the hand held sensor wand over her front side. Nothing happened. They were both mystified but he allowed her to go through without any further delay.

    Scully went directly to Skinner’s office. Skinner quietly admired the way she was holding up under the pressure of Mulder disappearance.  She was nothing like the raving maniac Mulder became when she was kidnapped. He frowned as he wondered if it was the certainly of his death that gave her the strength to carry on.  Before he lost himself in his own reflections, Skinner asked “How are you? Was there something I can help you with?”

     “I’m fine, Sir.” she answered tight lipped. Then she showed him the article Frohike showed her the night before and explained that she believed he was Mulder’s source for the secret file.  Skinner tried to discourage her from pursuing this case on her own but she insisted that he should at least check the ballistic report of the bullet that killed Soona against that which killed Mulder’s father.

      “Trying to prove what?” he asked sympathetically.

      “That Mulder wasn’t involved in his father’s death and that there is a conspiracy to silence anyone who may have spoken to him concerning the files. We already know Krychek is involved.” Scully replied exasperated by Skinner’s stonewalling.

     Skinner frowned again. She was beginning to sound just like Mulder. “Dana, you’ve been relieved of your investigative duties. Not just for disciplinary reasons but for your own safety.  You don’t need to protect Mulder any more. Drop it.”  He explained that if there was a match, the computer would have alerted them already but Scully continued to insist that he should check personally.

    “Sir, if you trust me at all, believe me when I say that these people will stop at nothing to cover-up the truth.”

    Skinner quickly moved around the desk, grabbed her by both shoulders and looked her straight in the eyes. “Stop it!” he scolded. “You’re looking for answers that don’t exist.  Don’t put me in a situation where I have to get a restraining order against you.” Scully glared at him crossly then pulled away. Skinner exhaled heavily and reached out to gently touch her shoulder from behind. In a much softer voice, he said “I’m sorry. It’s just that I care about what happens to you. The more involved you are, the more likely you are to get hurt.” She didn’t pull away so he continued. “Listen, I’ve been instructed to serve a search warrant on your apartment to look for a digital tape.”

     “I don’t have it.” she replied sadly.

     “Is this tape what Mulder died for?” Skinner asked softly.

     Scully held back her tears and answered. “I believe so.”

     Skinner sensed her despair and gently placed his other hand on her other shoulder then stood there in an awkward embrace.  “If you hear anything about that tape, tell me immediately.  Until then go home, sit tight and let me do my job. I’ll call later tonight to see how you’re doing.”

     Scully became suddenly aware that she was pressing her back again Skinner, using him like an emotionally buttress.  She stepped away quickly and replied “That won’t be necessary, Sir.  I’m fine.”

      Escorting her to the door, he said “I’ll call anyway. Just in case you change your mind.”   His words offered her little comfort as she wondered what to do next to discover
the truth that Mulder died trying to reveal.

     After Scully left Skinner’s office, the CSM entered and asked if he had asked her about the tape.  When Skinner reported that Scully didn’t have the tape, CSM puffed thoughtful and said, “Well, that’s unfortunate for everyone.”

     “Stay away from her.” Skinner growled, surprising himself with his own directness.

     CSM smiled and replied confidently, “Don’t worry. I will. As long as you do the same.  You are a married man after all and Mulder isn’t even officially dead yet.”

      Skinner flushed with outrage and excused himself from the office before he tore at the old man.  Skinner told his assistant he’d be making department rounds for the next hour or so then headed down to the lab.  He quickly spotted Agent Pendrell and approached him causally.  Skinner spoke uncharacteristically soft.  “Agent Pendrell, what do you know about ballistics?”

     Pendrell was surprised that Skinner was speaking to him at all, let alone so secretively.  “Sir, we have an entire ballistic division…”

     “I’m asking what YOU know.” Skinner said more harshly.  “Can you do a basic match?”

     “Of course. But why…”

     Skinner looker around cautiously and said, “Dana Scully needs some help. Unofficial help.”

     Pendrell swallowed hard and nervously answered, “What do you need me to do?”

    “Who do you know at the Trenton PD?” Skinner asked, firmly setting his alliances.

_______________________________________

     As Scully left the FBI building, she looked over at the metal detector then asked the guard if she could walk through it again.  He said sure so she emptied her pockets of keys and loose change then walked through.  It beeped loudly once again.  The guard tried the wand to isolate the source but this time he checked her back as well.  They found the source near the base of her neck but there was no necklace, clasp or button. Just Scully’s bare skin. Confused and concerned the guard sent her to the medical wing to have her checked out.

     The doctor took an x-ray and showed Scully the small metallic object lodged just under the skin.  She had no idea what it could be but the doctor suspected it was a piece of buckshot or shrapnel that struck her as she covered her face.  He suggested using a local anesthetic and removing it for examination.  Scully agreed and they were both alarmed when they saw what it was.

     “I know what it looks like to me but I couldn’t tell you how it got there.” the doctor offered as he studied what appeared to be a tiny computer chip which was just removed from Scully neck.   Scully took a look at the strange chip under the microscope and recalled the similar implant removed from Duane Barry.

    Scully left immediately and tried to call the Lone Gunmen but only got the answer machine. After two more attempts she tried to think of who else might consider extreme possibilities.  After their earlier conversation, she knew it was impossible to go to Skinner.  And her mother would only worry more. So within minutes, she was headed to Melissa’s place.

_____________________________________
 

      In the still brisk air of dark morning, Mulder sat outside the hogan, weak and tired but very much alive.  Albert attended to him, performing the ritual bath with a damp sponge as prescribe by the ceremony.  The Blessing Way chant had been performed for three days as Mulder suffered from burning fevers. They thought for certain that he would pass beyond this world but on the night of the third day, he opened his eyes and asked for water.  Just as the rising sun touched his cleansed flesh, a bright new hope illuminated his renewed spirit. Albert offered him food and water, knowing that his silence signaled a need to reflect and to heal.  Albert told his family, “The spirits were in attendance. The body and spirit of the FBI man are rejoined. As are the Truth and his Search, once again together.”

_____________________________________

   Melissa studied the implant in the vial and looked at her little sister with great concern.  She barely had time to grieve over Mulder and now her life seemed completely out of control. Melissa knew that control was everything to Dana and to lose control meant she would see her life as worthless.  Melissa knew the only way for Dana to take back her life was to find out what happened.  “We’ve got to find out what this is.” Melissa announced as she shook the vial.

     Scully crossed her arms and frowned.  “I don’t have access to the FBI labs.”

     Melissa turned to her and said “No. I’m talking about access to your own memories.” Scully sighed obviously not wanting to hear Melissa’s logic.  “You don’t even remember giving birth to a child.  Dana, you’ve buried everything so deeply you can’t consciously recall it.”

    <She sounds just like Mulder.> Scully thought, then realized Skinner must have thought the same about her when she barged into his office. All her medical training told her that Melissa was right but her last words to Mulder echoed painfully in her mind. She had said that the Truth was within her and now she held it in her hand, yet she was no closer to understanding what it all meant then she was on that last morning together.  What if Mulder died seeking a truth she had the answer to all along? She shook her head violently. “No. We have to study the physical evidence.  After all that’s happened, I can’t trust my memory.”

     “Trust yourself. And trust whatever instincts Fox shared with you.” Melissa implored.

     Scully tried desperately not to cry but the tears brimmed in her eyes.  “He left me nothing! No feelings, no instincts, no soul.  Oh God, Melissa, there’s nothing but a vast empty hollow inside me. Just the cold light of reason, the memory of events…He’s gone completely.”

    Melissa embraced her sister and encouraged her to let the tears fall.  “I’m so sorry, Dana.  I had no idea.” The truth was Melissa had every reason to believe Mulder’s spirit was ‘alive’ and well. When she heard of his death, she had tried to ‘channel’ his spirit and made contact. That she could find him and Dana could not was unthinkable.  Melissa couldn’t comfort Dana by telling of her experience. It would only make her feel more alone. So instead she tried to restore the control her sister depended on.  “Listen, Dana.  The man I’ve been seeing has access to all kinds of information – computer networks, government records, police files. I think he works for the CIA.” Scully stopped crying, caught off guard by her sister’s remark. “I haven’t seen him in a week but when I do, I’ll ask for his help. If anyone can follow Mulder’s logic, it’ll be him.”

     Dana hugged her tightly and dried her tears. “No, Missy. You can’t put yourself at risk like that.” Scully mustered a thin smile and added. “That’s my job.”

     “Then please, please, consider MY option.” Melissa pleaded. “You haven’t just lost Fox, you’ve lost all touch with your own intuition.  You’re carrying so much grief and fear that you can’t see you’ve built these walls around your true feelings and memories.”
Scully sighed in resignations as Melissa whispered “Just do this for me. As your sister.”

     Scully hugged her again and answered, “You’re not just my sister.  You’re my best friend.  You’re the only one who sees ‘the Invisible Woman’ I’ve become.”
____________________________________

     Later that day Scully found herself at the office of Dr Pomerantz, a specialist in regression hypnosis.  He was a pleasant and soft spoken man who seemed truly intent on helping her. She tried to keep an open mind but felt a nature resistance to everything he said.  He reassured her that such feelings were normal, and they were precisely why she needed to focus beyond them.

    Dr. Pomerantz asked her to close her eyes and focus on a place where she always felt completely comfortable and safe.  Scully instantly remembered the days she spent with Mulder at Loch Ness, after her rape.  She was only 21 and had been terrified and ashamed just the day before.  But Mulder’s loving patience quieted her fears and earned her complete trust.  They were only friends then but even as friends they loved each other deeply. She was still innocent and naïve, and had never seen his violent rages. It was the place she always wanted to go home to.

       The doctor waited as Scully relaxed then asked how she felt during her ‘missing time.’  She admitted that she was afraid that she and her baby would die.  “But you didn’t die. Someone must have taken car of you. Do you remember who that someone was?”

     Scully began to strain, forcing herself to recall the events as they happened. “There were men… a man took me…there was a light…loud sounds…”

     “You spoke of your baby. Did they take care of her?”

     Her head lolled from side to side. “She wasn’t there…I never saw her…”

     Scully warned the doctor about the strange circumstance surrounding her unusual pregnancy and told him to focus on the implant. He thought it odd that she seemed to be able to deal with a phantom baby easier than she could with a computer chip in her neck but she seemed to tolerate the memory without distress, so he pressed on. He asked if she remembered any pain during the procedure. She could only recall that the ‘sound was all screwed up.’ She remembered hearing an alarm and they asked if she was all right.

       Scully was becoming more agitated as she pushed the recollections to the surface.  The doctor suggested that maybe she trusted them not to hurt her, that perhaps it could have been someone she trusted at the FBI.   She moaned “I had to trust someone…I was powerless…I could not resist them….”  The images were cloudy but she remembered a table besides hers and a body stretched on it.  He recalled feeling even more helpless being unable to help him.  As the images slowly reassembled in her mind, her breathing became unsteady.

      The doctor intervened before the stress became too great. “If this is too painful. I want you to go back to the comfortable place where we began and try again.”
 
      Scully allowed her mind to slip back to the cabin in Loch Ness with Mulder. Mulder at her side. Suddenly she realized the body beside her during the procedure WAS Mulder.  She froze in a panic until Dr Pomerantz lightly touched her hand, then she awoke with a violent start. “No!” she shouted. Gathering her thoughts she quickly said, “I’m trying. I don’t think this is working.  I don’t think we’re getting anywhere.” She rose suddenly and apologized for taking his time and quickly left the office.  Pomerantz knew she was suppressing more than just memories of an object placed under her skin but had no idea how frightening her visions truly were.

      Disappointed and distraught, Scully drove up to her building just in time to see AD Skinner leave. She felt like running to him for comfort, but something was wrong.  He seemed anxious, glancing around nervously as he slipped back into his car.  Scully pulled her car out of sight and watched he leave hastily.  Scully recalled what he had said about the search warrant and felt a sudden coldness as if another part of her became empty inside.

      She examined her apartment and it seemed undisturbed. But then again Skinner was as professional. Finally she decided to call and confront him.  In a gruff voice, he denied going to her place at all. When she insisted that she saw him, he said she must have made a mistake then hung up abruptly. She was reminded of  the sound of anger in her father’s voice made when she opposed him.  Her emotional isolation closed in around her as her search for the truth proved fruitless. All she had was more lies and a vague memory of forgotten betrayals.

     Skinner stared at the phone then looked up at the CSM lurking beside his desk. Skinner rose and excused himself, trying to find an unmonitored line.  When he finally did, Scully would not answer so he called Mrs. Scully instead.

      “Maggie, your daughter’s in danger.” Skinner said seriously. “And I’m not sure what I can do to prevent it.”

     “What are you saying? Is Dana all right?”  Maggie asked anxiously.

      “For now. But I need to get word to her. She tried to talk to me earlier but I couldn’t speak freely.”  He could hear her whisper ‘oh my God’ on the other end.  “Listen, don’t call her or go to her. You’ll only attract attention to yourself.  She’ll call you soon. I’m sure of it.”
 
      “Walter, are you any danger?” Maggie asked full of concern.

      “No more than usual. I’m just doing my job.” Skinner replied honesty then hung up. He felt flattered that Maggie would be concerned for his safety but he felt more worried that another Scully might put herself at risk.
 

    Mulder sat on the floor of the hogan with the Albert and his people.  Albert cautioned him that to end the ceremony properly he must not do any work, change clothe or bathe for 4 days.  “That’s really going to cut into my social life.” he joked, finally feeling more like myself again.

    The younger boys gave him a gift of a blessed pouch of sunflower seed.   They had heard him ask for them during his worst fevers. Mulder smiled recalling his father’s addiction to the salty seeds. He remember how as a young boy, he would awake up alone in his room feeling as if he was the only living thing on the planet. Then he would hear the sound of his father cracking open the seeds with his teeth and he knew he wasn’t alone. Mulder thought about his father and asked “During my fevers, I left here and traveled to a place.”

      Albert nodded and touched his chest. “This place. You carry it with you. It is inside of you.  It is the original place.”

     Fascinated, Mulder said, “Then it wasn’t a dream?”

      Albert just smiled and answered cryptically, “Yes.”  He wiped out the sand drawing of the spirit map, signifying the end of the ceremony.  He announced “We are done now.” then he and others left.

     Mulder remained and studied the pattern in the sand.  <The true path, the way…it’s all here. > he thought as he gazed at the jumble of colored grains. But now he had to leave this place a find the path to Truth among the living.  He closed his eyes and touched his chest.  In a quiet whisper he vowed, “I carry this place inside me. The path remains true even when scattered by time and strife.  Together we’ll traveled it so that others may follow, to find the Truth.” The perfect image of Scully formed in his mind as his heart felt alive with passion and purpose once again.
 
     Late that night, Scully cried in her bed feeling more alone than ever.  Mulder was gone. The Lone Gunmen were pursuing their own truths. She couldn’t face Melissa after running out on Dr. Pomerantz and she was too ashamed to go to her mother’s house. Now Skinner turned her away. Scully told herself to keep believing. To have faith. The Truth was still out there.

     In her dreamless sleep she saw an image. Mulder stood above her, speaking from the stars. “I have been on the bridge that spans two worlds, the link between all souls by which we cross into our own true nature. YOU were here today, looking for a truth that was taken from you, a truth that  was never to be spoken but which binds us together in dangerous purpose.  But our live are joined by more than our quest. Our love demands the Truth if we are to remain together and our passions must know justice to ever be satisfied. I have returned from the dead to continue with you but I fear that the danger is close at hand and I may be too late. If only my faith could give you strength and my love offer you protection.  All that I am, I am for you, for us.  May it be enough until we are rejoined and made whole again.”

    Scully woke with a start, breathless and flushed.  It was Mulder, not just a dream.  In her loneliest hour, he came to her as he always had to heal her and love her. She was no longer alone, as she felt the vigor of his passion and the restlessness of his soul. Her memories were charged with emotion once again.  And most of all now she knew without a doubt, even in the absence of hard evidence – Mulder was alive.
________________________________________

     Alex Krychek knew a lot about what it meant to be noble.  The courage and conviction it took to sacrifice yourself to a higher cause. He knew because it was something he tried to do but never succeeded at.  Even  with Melissa, he tried to stay away from her, knowing his presence would endanger her life, but he couldn’t.  He hovered outside her home, watching and wanting to go to her.  He knew she sensed him near and often even left the door open as a kind of invitation.  The desires of the flesh beckoned him but more than just sex, he wanted to love her and feel her love in return.

     But now he had orders to kill her sister.  He wasn’t surprised after all that had happened.  He took a deep breath to clear his mind and discovered he had only one choice.  He would turn himself over to Scully and tell her about him and Melissa.  He would help her find the answers she sought in return for his freedom and a chance to be with Melissa again.  It wasn’t noble. It was selfish and self centered. But then why would be expect anything else from himself?  Survival was the only thing he ever did right.
________________________________________

     The next day Scully attended William Mulder’s  funeral in Boston.  She shocked Mrs. Mulder when she told her that her son was still alive despite what the FBI authories said. In her few dealing with Dana Scully, Mrs. Mulder learned just how fiercely protective her son’s wife was. She regarded Scully as a woman of powerful will and unshakable integrity.  So even though it seemed unlikely that Fox would ever return, Mrs. Mulder trusted that Scully would call soon with the good news.

     After saying goodbye to Mrs. Mulder, Scully was approached the a distinguished looking well manicured man.  He led her away from prying ears and explained that he was a member of a consortium that represented globe interests. “Interests,” he said, “That would be threatened by the digital tape, which she no longer had possession of.”

    “I never had the tape.” Scully corrected.  “Would they be threatened enough to murder?”

    The WMM replied frankly, “Oh my, yes.”  When she asked about Mulder, the WMM insisted he was dead but Scully refused to believe him. “I’m not here to tell you lies.”

     “What are you here for?” Scully sneered.

     “To tell you your life is in danger, too.” he replied. Scully tried to walk away but the WMM continued to talk.  He warned her that that they would kill her one of two ways. One or two professional assassins would come to her home,  kill her and be gone in a matter of hours or someone she close to her, a trusted friend, would come to her home unexpectedly. He explained that she wanted something they didn’t –Justice.

     Scully questioned why he came to warn her and he said her death would only draw attention to the group. The added “Motives are rarely unselfish.” Finally she asked what kind of business he was in. He replied, “We predict the future and the best way to predict it, is to invent it.” Then he walked way leaving  Scully shaken.
_________________________________

     Mrs. Mulder returned to her home after the funeral. Just as she walked through the door, she heard someone behind her. “Mom?” came the soft uncertain voice.

       “Oh my God.  Fox! I can’t believe it. Dana said…but the FBI…” she stammered in shock.    Mulder hugged his mother and told her he was all right.  Once she recovered  from the initial shock, Mulder explained that he needed to know more about his father’s work.  He ran to the attic and pulled out old photographs and began to question her about the men who stood beside his father in front of a large industrial complex.  “Don’t do this to me.” his mother pleaded, anguished by painful memories.  But Mulder persisted, demanding to know anything – names, where they were from, what they did – but she claimed to remember nothing.

     Mulder brushed her off coldly once her realized his mother wouldn’t help. < Why should I expect things to change now, just because I died? > he asked himself and he rummage around until he found his Dad’s gun.  “I think it has to do with Samantha.” he said hurriedly as he loaded the weapon then left her just as suddenly as he appeared.
_________________________________

     When Scully returned to her apartment, the phone rang.  It was Melissa asking where she had been. She hadn’t heard from her since she went to see Dr. Pomerantz. Scully was still shaken by her encounter with the WMM and Melissa insisted on coming over to talk to her. Scully agreed and thanked her then hung up.  The phone rang again suddenly and Scully picked it up expecting to hear her sister but she only hear a dead click at the other end.  Remembering the warning, Scully thought assassins lurked outside waiting for the moment to strike.  She called Melissa back but she had already left.  Scully left a message that she was on her way to her place and would meet her on the way.

      As she dashed from the apartment, Scully grabbed her gun and tucked it in her purse. Once outside she headed for her car but was cut off by another car.  The passenger door swung open and Skinner leaned out and said “Get in the car. I need to talk to you.”
 
      Scully gasped slightly remembering the other way she was told she would be killed.  She tried to make an excuse but Skinner persisted. “Please, it’s very important. Didn’t you speak with your mother?”  Scully was sure he had been watching her as he glanced around nervously.  “We have to go now, Dana.” he ordered.

     Scully eyed Skinner’s gun in its holster under his jacket.  < Not here. > she thought to herself as she agreed to go with him.  Sliding into the empty seat, she slowly opened her purse so that she had easy access to her weapon at the right moment.

    When Skinner said they needed to go some place private to talk, she suggested Mulder’s apartment and he agreed.  After opening the door, she let Skinner enter first then drew her weapon and cocked the hammer.  Before Skinner could turn, she ordered him to keep his eyes forward and his hands up.  “Don’t turn around or I’ll blow your head off. Don’t think I wouldn’t do it, you son of a bitch.”

     Skinner heard the fear and pain in her voice. “No, I believe you. Just stay cool.”  he replied calmly with his hand in the air.  She had become just like Mulder right down to the paranoia and rash behavior. He knew she must have thought he betrayed her, shutting her out, but he felt his own sense of betrayal after all he had done for her.

    She ordered him to the couch and to sit on his hands.  Glancing at the X in window and the bullet hole where the shot was fired at her, she turned to Skinner and said bitterly, “I know why you’re here. Whose errand boy you are.”

     “No one sent me.” Skinner replied in a hurt voice. “Dana, listen…”

      “Don’t call me by that name!” she shouted, bearing the weapon down on him.

     Nodding Skinner whispered, “OK, sorry. Look, I’m trying to help you. I care about you, Scully.  Can’t you see that?”

     “All I see is a liar and a traitor.”

     Skinner gritted his teeth in frustration.  “I did what I had to do to protect you.  No one else is in a position to see your way clear. I just need your trust. All I ever wanted to do was show you some kindness.  The least you could do is believe me.  I know I’m not Mulder, but don’t shut me out.”

     Scully shook violently with rage.  “Mulder was right! You think I’m some trophy to satisfy your male ego. Trying to prove you’re better than him.” Skinner shook his head saying ‘no’ but Scully ignored him. “I trusted in you. Put my faith in you. And you betrayed him and me.”

     Angry at her accusation Skinner roared back, “It’s not like that! You don’t understand”

     Settling down Scully answered coldly, “You’ve got the rest of your life to give me answers.”
___________________________________

   Melissa had seen Alex lurking in the shadows near her home the night before.  Something was keeping him away but it wasn’t strong enough to stop his desire all together.  As she headed out to see her sister, Melissa considered the sacrifices Dana had made for Mulder.  She abandoned even some of her basic tenants just to prove her love to him.  Melissa wondered what she could do to convince Alex that she was just as willing to surrender her life to him. She loved him and his darkness. She wanted to the fill the emptiness in his life, not just for a few hours at a time but forever.

    Maybe Dana could help.  She understood the darkness of desperate men. If nothing it might help her forget the pain of her own loss.  Melissa suddenly chided herself for her selfishness.  For once, Dana had come to her for help, and all Melissa could do was think of her own plight.  < Poor, Dana. > she thought. < To give in to your heart’s desire only to have it taken away.> Alex would have to wait.  Melissa steeled herself preparing to listen to her sister’s latest terrifying story.
________________________________________

    Krychek protested that he didn’t need Cardinal looming over him to complete his assignment and that he would only get in the way.  The CSM insisted that Krychek’s actions lately had been erratic and unreliable, dispatching Bill Mulder as a suicide instead of framing Mulder as intended. When Krychek asked X to accompany him instead, the CSM only said “He has other business to attend to.”

     Krychek deliberately waited until Scully left her apartment. He made the suspicious call to draw her out.  It wasn’t hard to fool Cardinal into thinking he made the call to make sure she was home. So went they entered, Krychek pretended to be surprised she wasn’t there.  Cardinal suggested they set a trap for her and wait for her return.  Krychek began to argue saying it could be hours.

    Suddenly there was a gentle rap at the door and the would be assassins dove for cover.  Krychek tried to tell Cardinal to hold his fire since Scully wouldn’t be knocking at her own door but suddenly they heard a key slide into the lock and the door swung open.  In an instant Cardinal fired his silenced weapon at the red-haired figure that entered. Krychek watch helplessly as the figure dropped to the floor.

    The second he stepped out from his cover, Krychek knew something was wrong. He approached the still body in a quiet horror then saw her face. “Oh no.” he gasped. His world shattered into a thousand pieces as the woman he loved lay dying before him. He staggered back swearing incoherently. “Oh damn it. How the fuck could this happen?”

    Cardinal didn’t understand his colleague’s shock.  “What’s wrong?”  Krychek ignored him and grabbed the phone to call 911.  “What the hell are you going?” Cardinal demanded.

      “She’s still alive. Maybe there’s a chance…” Krychek mumbled.

        Cardinal grabbed him and shook him violently.  “We need to get the hell out of here.” He dropped the gun by her body and rushed out the door.

      Once again Krychek’s instincts kicked in.  The moment he heard the operator answer, he knew help was on the way and dropped the phone.  He leaned over the body and kissed her cheek tenderly. “Oh God, I’m sorry. It should have been me.” he whispered then ran out after Cardinal.

     Krychek dove into the car as Cardinal sped away. Suddenly Krychek shoved his gun into Cardinal’s neck and demanded him to stop. Once they stopped, he ordered Cardinal out of the car.  Panting and crazed, Krychek yelled, “You bastard! You shot the wrong woman. That was her sister.  That was Melissa!”

     Cardinal didn’t understand why Krychek became so unglued. “I made a mistake. It looked like her.”

      “You idiot! She’s nothing like her! She’s warm and caring not cold and calculating.” Krychek raved.

      Finally the light came on in Cardinal’s dim mind. “Now I remember! The woman from the bookstore.  Your woman?”

     Throwing his body against the larger man, Krychek shoved Cardinal against the wall and held the barrel of his gun under the man’s chin.  “I love her, you pathetic Neanderthal.” he growled. “I should have killed you when I meet you, you lousy sack of shit!” Krychek squeezed the trigger as Cardinal closed his eyes. But once again, he couldn’t bring himself to fire the shot.  The one thing Melissa had left him, besides her love, was something no cold blooded assassin could afford to have – respect for all life.

    Cardinal remained frozen, knowing a sudden movement might set off Krychek’s instinct.  “Listen Krychek, put down the gun.” Krychek tried again but shook violently struggling within himself until he finally flung the weapon across the alley. Cardinal sighed with relief then Krychek smashed his fist against his face, knocking him to the ground.  Krychek silently got back in  the car.

     Cardinal pulled himself to his feet and rubbed his sore jaw.  He picked up the gun and returned to car. Sitting in the driver’s seat he glared at young angry man next to him. “OK I deserved that. But what are you going to do now? An assassin who won’t kill people, even someone who you hate as much as me, is dead.”

    Krychek slumped back in the seat. “Then kill me now.” he sighed.

     “No, no.” Cardinal replied. “I don’t want to kill you.”

      “I want to killed you. I just can’t.”

     “I know. That’s why you need me.  For revenge.” Cardinal answered coldly.  “I’m just like you.  Doing my job. I’m not responsible if she dies. You need me to handle the people you are.”

     Krychek looked at the bruised face of the man he hated more than anyone else in the world at that moment.  “Why? Why would you help me?’

     “Comrade-in-arms.  I understand what you’re going through.” he answered plainly.

     Krychek didn’t believe him or trust him but he knew he had little choice. So he began to wonder who was responsible. The CSM for sure, but like everyone else he was only doing his job.  Who forced the issue, went out of the way to put Scully and Melissa at risk? Mulder. But he was already dead. < Maybe there is some justice in the world.> he thought as he resigned himself to a hollow victory.

______________________________________

     Back in Mulder’s apartment Scully and Skinner traded threats and accusations.  Skinner calm he was trying to protect her and that killing him would only serve their purposes.  Scully accused him of cooperating with them and plotting to kill her.

     Skinner sighed bitterly, “I didn’t come to kill you. I came here to give you something. Something you can bargain with to save your life.  I’ve got the digital tape.”

     “You’re lying.” Scully said calmly.

      He motioned down to his jacket. “I’ve got it in my pocket. I took it from Mulder’s desk when you disappeared.”

     Suddenly Scully heard footsteps just outside the door. In the moment she turned to look, Skinner grabbed his gun and pointed it at her. He shouted “Drop your weapon! Put it down , Scully!”

     Scully stood fast and tighten her grip. “No way.”

     “I said put it down.  Listen to me, Dana!”

     “I said no. You’re setting me up.” she insisted.

      “I’m trying to help you” he replied through gritted teeth.

     “Then put your weapon down and sit down.” Scully demanded

      Skinner shook his head. “Not a chance.”

      Trying to find a logical resolution she said, “You said you weren't here to kill me, Skinner, now prove it.”

       Skinner growled “I didn't come here to have a gun shoved in my face either.’

        Exasperated Scully cried, “Damn it, Skinner!”

       Suddenly the door flew open and Mulder stood then, his gun pointed directly at Skinner. “Drop your weapon!” Scully wondered for an instant if she was imagining him but felt the passion and rage that she knew in her heart, and loved in spite of herself.  Mulder was alive, in all his glory and fury.

       Skinner looked shocked and outraged.  “Back off!” he ordered. Turning to Scully he yelled “What the hell is this? What are you trying to pull?”

      Look at Scully tenderly, Mulder asked softly. “Are you OK, Dana? Did he hurt you?”

      She nodded and answered yes still in a daze, as Skinner roared, “I’d never deliberately hurt her.”

      Mulder focus on Skinner again. Pulling back the hammer of the gun he shouted, “Shut up! Give her the gun!” Skinner finally surrendered the weapon as he looked accusingly at Scully.

Skinner surrendered his weapon reluctantly to Scully, as she kept her weapon aimed at him. "You can put that down now." he grumbled hut she continued to keep him under guard. She glanced at Mulder and he nodded so she finally lowered her gun.

      Mulder shrugged at Skinner. "If it means anything, she did shoot me." Skinner frowned and Mulder lowered his weapon but kept it at the ready. "Now, I want an explanation for what the hell is going."

      Scully continued to glare at Skinner and explained that she was warned that someone she trusted would try to kill her. Skinner quickly defended himself, as he pulled the DAT tape from his pocket and demanded to know why everyone was willing to kill for it.

     Mulder told him exactly what was on the tape and just how desperate the CSM was to keep its contents secret.  "He killed my father for that tape then he killed me."

     "What are you talking about?" Skinner snarled looking at the obviously live agent.

        Knowing that Skinner had a near death experience himself, Mulder answered simply, "I was a dead man. Now I'm back."

       Skinner looked down at floor then at Scully, who seemed less than willing to accept Mulder's explanation even though he was on her side. She demanded the tape and he refused, so Mulder raised his weapon again.  Skinner was a bit unnerved at how easily Mulder took to armed persuasion but he was not intimidated.  "So far I've had better luck hanging on to this tape than either of you.  Thus tape stays with me." Mulder cocked the gun in readiness But Skinner didn't finch. Skinner waved the tape at Mulder and said, "this is the only thing keeping them from blow us all out of the water.  It's the only leverage we have but it's not going to do us any good if it falls back into their hands."

    "Then you'd better make sure it doesn't."  Mulder replied as he popped the hammer off ready and lower his gun.  Mulder glanced around the room but he realized he couldn't remain there if he wanted them to think he was still dead.  "Come on Scully. Let's go."

      "Where?" she asked.
 
      Mulder reached over and took her hand and gazed into her fiery eyes. He knew she was full of questions and full of doubts but he knew her couldn't give her any answers yet.  "There are some truths that aren't on that tape.  They still think I'm dead. Now maybe our only chance to find the answers."

     Scully nodded then scowled at Skinner as she returned his weapon.  "Why didn't you tell me you had the tape?"

    "They would have found out and we'd both be dead." Skinner holstered then weapon and tried to sound sympathetic. "Once I realized they might deal if you did have it, I tried to give it to you but you weren't home."

     "And you had to deny it over the phone or they would have known." Scully concluded.  "Sir, I’m sorry I accused you of...of being untrustworthy."

     "Just keep that in mind the next time you draw your weapon on someone who cares about you." he replied sincerely, watching Mulder's reaction from the corner of his eye.  When Mulder frowned and nudged Scully, Skinner offered to remain in the apartment to cover their tracks. As much as anything he was trying to give the reunited couple sometime alone.

     Mulder understood and nodded.  Then together with his partner, he began his search anew. As he stood beside Scully while waiting for the elevator, he slow wrapped his arm around her.  "Dana," he whispered, "You're the reason I came back.  My search consumes me but that wasn't enough.  But I had a promise to kept." He kissed her gently on the lips but she pulled him into a passionate embrace. Her grip was so tight he could barely breath.

   As the elevator door opened, he pulled her in the car, still locked together.  Scully released him long enough to whisper  "I knew you'd be all right."

     Mulder gazed down at her with a curious expression. "How did you know?"

    She kissed him again and answered "I could feel you again." With that, she trapped him against the wall, pressing sensually into his body. As Mulder braced himself, his hand slammed into the 'Stop' button. Then she sighed, "Just like I feel you now."

     Mulder responded with the vigor of a man reborn.  He ignored the world around him as he focused on her alone.  He felt the powerful physical arousal but the desire to fill the missing piece of his life drove him even stronger.  Without conscious thought, he began to reach under her blouse, needing to be part of her flesh and heat once again.

    Scully's actions answered his, pulling away the barriers that separated them until they joined in an erotic and spiritual embrace. The awkward difference in height never even slowed them. He took her weight in his arm as she wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist.  Gently positioning herself, she began to feel the slow, passionate penetration. A primal moan emitted from deep down his throat until it surfaced as an uncontrolled cry.  Overcome with each other they tumbled into a desperate climax of need and fulfillment.

    Exhausted and slightly embarrassed Scully pulled herself together and restarted the elevator.  When the door opened at the ground floor, she could see that nobody noticed the delay.  She breathed a sigh of relief as Mulder led her out to the street.  Suddenly she paused and looked back to his apartment.  Behind the taped X in the window she could see Skinner, watching their delayed departure. With mixed feelings towards her boss of guilt and revenge, she averted her gaze before Mulder noticed.

    Mulder tried to explain how the Blessing Way chant brought him back to her but she was more concern about what they would do to make sure they stayed alive. She told him about the implant in her neck, and he swore at himself for missing it all these months. When she told him that Soona was executed, Mulder said "Then we'll have to the next rung in the ladder." as he headed to the offices of the Lone Gunmen.

     The Langly studied the photo Mulder brought of his father and his colleagues,  while Byers studied the implant.  There couldn’t offer anything help with the implant but Langly recognized men in the photo, instrumental in running Operation Paper Clip,  "Our government's deal with the devil" Langly declared.

   Operation Paper Clip protected Nazi war criminals who assisted in our governments efforts to study extreme stresses as a prelude to space travel. Langly pointed out Victor Klemper, a Nazi scientist who experimented on Jews but then applied his knowledge to our countries agendas and was now living in comfortable retirement at the expense of the American people. But Byers pointed out that according to the public record, Operation Paper Clip was disbanded in the 1950’s.  But Mulder's photo was taken in 1973.  Mulder raised an eyebrow "So what was this? A class reunion?'

     "Apparently, they continued the work in secret, perhaps without the knowledge or consent of the politicians who tried to end it." Byers offered.

      Mulder frowned.  "But that would mean my father is..."

    Just then Frohike burst in and exclaimed excitedly "Unbelievable!  We thought you were dead." He gave Mulder a hearty handshake and a huge grin.

     Mulder smiled in return. "I guess you'll have to wait a little longer before you can put the moves on Scully."  At the mention of her name, the older man looked upset.

     Frohike turned to Scully with his sad expression and told her that he picked up a report of a shooting while monitoring the police band.  Then he told her that her sister was the victim, in critical condition at DC General.. She and Mulder both went pale.

      Mulder had seen Melissa 'on the other side' but only as a shadow.  He assumed it her spirit channeling him as she did with Scully when she was adducted. But suddenly he realized it was the future he saw. A future were Melissa Scully joined her father in the thereafter.  How could he tell Scully?  She would risk her life trying to change her sister's destiny. Mulder didn't care about destiny or fate or prophecy. He only knew that he'd had come back to be with Dana and he wasn't about to lose her.
 
       Scully was already rushing towards the door when he stopped her. "I have to go to her. That bullet was meant for me." she confessed.

     "If they’re trying to kill you, that’s the first place they’re going to look. Taking another bullet yourself won't save her." Mulder implored. "I think I know someone who can help your sister.  The same man than helped me.  But we need to find the truth if we hope to do anything against these men.  We can't count on that tape to protect us."

    "Is that why you let Skinner keep it?" Scully asked in return. He just nodded and she replied, "Those bastards. I hate this.  It's not fair."

    "Life never is. But death knows no justice so life is our only chance." Mulder replied knowingly.

_________________________

    With the Lone Gunmen's help Mulder and Scully located Klemper.  He lived in a private estate, isolated but ordinary to anyone who didn't know the history of the man within.  They found him in the greenhouse tending to his orchids.  The elder man tried to send them away thinking they were reporters or busy bodies. But when Klemper recognized Mulder's name, Mulder took the cue to question him about the work his father did.  Klemper admitted nothing but his own rashness. “We were young men catch in a fever but we changed the world.” he said.  Scully glared at his cavalier attitudes over the suffering he caused.  “Progress demands sacrifice…”   Scully turned away, sick and tried of hearing about sacrifice.

    Mulder didn't give up. "My father died trying to tell me...he wanted forgiveness for choosing that work other his family, over his own sense of right and wrong. Was he a murderer too? I need to know the truth. Isn’t that what you want? For the truth to be known?"

     Klemper frowned but looked at the photo of him as a younger man with Mulder's father and the others. He told them the picture was taken at the Strughold Mining Company in West Virginia then asked if they knew Naiper's Constant. Scully answered yes immediately and he offered nothing more.  Scully challenged him as if he owed them more but he refused to continue the conversation and asked them to leave.  Mulder led Scully away with a final remark "Let's go.  Back to the a world of the living.”

     Klemper watched as they left and said to himself  “A world of the living?  But for how long?  That photo you have…that piece of paper is a curse. Your father’s curse.  Just like the piece of paper that I handed him that said he had to choose…”

_______________________________________

       Krychek nervously answered his phone.  The smooth, menacing voice asked what happened in Scully’s apartment. “Cardinal got anxious and shot Scully’s sister by mistake. Agent Scully wasn’t even there. We’re still looking for her.”

      This wasn’t news to the CSM.  He wanted to hear what ‘his men’ had to say for themselves.  “So Mr. Krychek, how did you know it was her sister?” he asked calmly.

    Krychek froze in silence. If he lied, he would surely find out. If he told the truth, his alliance would be in question. So he picked both and neither. “I saw her picture in Scully’s apartment when I broke in to place the bug.  I found her and got to know her, just in case we needed to put pressure and Scully.”

   “That was very clever thinking, Mr. Krychek, but you forgot one thing…putting pressure on agents is my job. You’re just a hired gun. And according to Cardinal, not even a very good one.”

      Krychek roared “Look, I didn’t hit the wrong target!”

      “Then finish the job.” The CSM ordered forcefully. “Like a professional.”

     Krychek hung up then threw the phone across the room. He had no choice. Scully would never help him now no matter what he promised and Melissa couldn’t vouch for him. His unsteady hands fumbled with the weapon. He wasn’t sure if he could finish the job but if nothing else at least Scully wouldn’t hesitate to cut him down. He had no choice to do his job, like a professional.

     The CSM had little patience with fools like Krychek. The Syndicate was accusing him of sloppy work and demanded to see the tape.  He was sure Skinner had it and would hand it over to protect Scully.  It was just a matter of time before Skinner made the offer and he would gallantly accept it. By then either Scully or Krychek would be dead and either way the problem would be taken care of.

   Meanwhile, as the CSM made his smug plans the Syndicate received a call from Klemper to let them know Mulder was alive.  They unanimously agreed to call ‘their friends ‘ who would take care of the situation the CSM seem unable to control.
______________________________
 

     The worried Maggie Scully paced in the waiting room, still in shock.  When she received the call from the hospital that her daughter had been shot, she assumed it was Dana.  <How could any one ever harm a kind loving girl like Melissa?>  she thought.
Just then she overheard a young man taking to the nurse asking about Melissa.  Because of her condition, the nurse refused to give the man any information since he wasn’t family.  The pain and confusion Maggie saw in the man’s eyes reminded her of Mulder when Dana was missing, so she approached him.  “Are you a friend of Melissa’s?” Maggie asked softly.

     Krychek was startled but answered quickly. “Yes, I know her from the book store. They told me he was here.” He swallowed hard, trying to hold back the tears.

     Maggie took his hand and led his to a chair.  “I’m her mother.  Thank you for coming but I’m afraid she’s still in recovery.”

    Krychek slowly asked, “Is she…will she live?”

    Maggie smiled as hopefully as possible.  Krychek could not longer contain himself and held his hand over his face in distress.  Maggie gently wrapped her arms around the stranger and whispered “They’re doing all they can. There’s a good chance she’ll survive but they had to induce a coma to relieve the pressure on the brain.”  She felt an odd sense of comfort, being able to comfort someone else.  A shared burden, even with a stranger, made the load easier.  And it was obvious this man cared a great deal about Melissa.

    Krychek thanked Maggie and stepped away from her protective embrace, as if he knew his was touch was poisonous. Just then he saw a man in black approaching.  It was one of ‘his’ men, watching for Scully.  Krychek thanked Maggie again then darted off before she could ask any questions.

   Later that afternoon, Maggie called Skinner’s office and he spoke to her in a kind voice. “I’m sorry I can’t come down there but I’m trying to find the men responsible. And I’m trying to ensure Dana’s safety as well.”

    Maggie perked up instantly.  “Where is Dana?”

    Skinner replied seriously.  “With a friend. Her best friend.  He promised to take care of her.”

     Maggie gasped.  He was saying it secretively but Skinner implied that Dana was with Mulder.  Mulder was alive. Maggie felt a rush of relief and hope. Perhaps there was a chance for Melissa if Mulder could survive.  Skinner promised to call and stop by as soon as possible.

     Just then a nurse came in to say Melissa had a visitor. She expected the young man who she had seen earlier but instead it was elderly Indian man.  Albert responded to her confusion by saying that ‘the FBI woman’ had sent him since she was not able to be there herself.  With Maggie’s permission, he said a prayer over Melissa. He could feel her strength ebb and slowly fade.

    Albert had heard the story from the North. The Native American people of the region had a legend of the white buffalo woman. A strong leader who taught her people and created prosperity, she vanished ages ago promising to return as a White Buffalo.  Such an animal was born at the same time the FBI man was healed.  A new spirit and new hope rising in both worlds.  But then young baby buffalo became ill and would not take milk form its mother. Finally, the mother of the calf laid down and would not get up, refusing food and water. As the mother faded the calf grew stronger until he was finally healed but then the mother died.  A life saved, a life sacrificed. Mulder had been saved…would Melissa be the sacrifice?
______________________________

    Mulder and Scully found the Strughold Mining Company.  The dilapidated building housed several touch panel keyed doors.  Trying Naiper’s Constant on all of them, they eventually came to a door that opened.   Scully hesitated for a moment and turned to Mulder.  “If something in here should cast doubt on the kind of man your father was… I just know how it would affect me.”

     Mulder decided now was the time for the whole truth about his death.  “I know exactly what kind of man my was father. And what kind yours was as well. They told me in a place where lies and deceptions mean nothing.” He expected her to argue but instead she had a far way look in her eyes and took his hand.

    “On the bridge that spans two worlds,” Scully whispered to him, echoing the word he ‘spoke’ to her in her ‘dream’.  “The link between all souls by which we cross into our own true nature.”

      Mulder hugged her tightly and said, “All that I am, I am for you, for us.”

     She whispered back, “For those we love and for the future.”

     Mulder nodded and pulled away as he lead her into the black chamber.
____________________________________________

     As he expected, the CSM received a call from AD Skinner arranging a meeting.  The meeting started calmly, Skinner implying he had evidence that might incriminate the CSM ‘s men.  Skinner showed him ballistic data that linked Soona’s death to William Mulder’s and Scully’s shooter.  The CSM acted unconcerned so Skinner took the next step.  He offered testimony of violations of the sovereign Navajo Nation.  Still unimpressed, the CSM wanted to know if Skinner had anything to important to say.

    “As a matter of fact I do.” He replied smartly. “I may have located the tape.”
    The CSM became agitated and questioned him but Skinner stayed cool enjoying watching CSM squirm. “Do you have the damn tape?” CSM demanded finally.

   Smugly Skinner replied, “I'll know more when we next meet.”

    Indignant, the CSM declared, “I do not negotiate. Do you understand?”

   “Yes, sir.” Skinner answered with an amused sneer.

    Giving his most threatened stare which had  no affect on Skinner whatsoever,  CSM warned, “Then I hope your next course of action will be more ... cautious and informed.”
Then he stormed out.

    Skinner watched smoke settle and said “Suck on that one for a while, you bastard. It’s just a matter of time…”
_____________________________

      Mulder and Scully were shocked by what they found in the mountain vault.  Medical records and tissue samples of thousands of people since the 1950’s.  Scully found her own file with a recent tissue sample. When she saw it, she felt the wound in her neck. The implant and the sample must be related she thought, as Mulder ran to find his sister’s file.  He stared in disbelief as he realized the file originally bore his name.

    Scully suddenly remembered the vision from her aborted regression therapy.  Mulder was with her during part of her abduction. Unconscious, another victim another abductee. It was too fantastic but she had to tell him something.  “Mulder, this file, my abduction…I think there’re connected…”

    Just then the lights went out.   Mulder told Scully to wait there while he checked it out.  Scully had no time to argue but took cover behind a cabinet and readied her weapon.

    Mulder saw a bank of lights as wide as the building itself rise off the ground through the frosted glass windows.  He ran outside to see the source and spotted a huge triangular vessel hovering above him.  Before he could see any details and fleet of black sedans appeared and gunman poured out and opened fire in him. Dodging bullets, he dashed back to the security door and yelled for Scully.

     Scully heard a rumble outside and began to look for a back exit.  She heard what sounded like a hydraulic lift then sudden a mass of small figures moved around her, dislodging her flashlight. Surprised but still alert Scully grabbed her light and chased after the strange forms.  She came to another corridor and at the end, she saw a strange silhouette.  Anyone else would have called its alien-shaped but as Scully watched it disappeared into the light, it seemed to change showing a distinctly human form. She dismissed it as a trick of the light.

     When Mulder called out to her, Scully directed him to the light, hoping it might be a way out.  Mulder found Scully and they joined hands as they raced for the exit, the sound of their pursuers closing in on them.  Scully found a heavy metal door way and they forced it open.  Once outside in the light, Mulder noticed the door had been welded shut and a metal plate bolted over it.  Someone had recently cut through the weld, creating a back door to a vault with a front door that would have required a small nuclear device to break open.  Scully pulled him away before he had time to ponder the puzzle and they escaped unseen the ‘hit squad.’

    They drove for hours watching over their shoulders for cars following them.  They found a wayside park  and stopped for night, hiding the car in the brush. Huddled in the back seat, Scully cried softly. Mulder rocked her gently “I’m sorry about Melissa.  But I think she understands. She know what you’re doing…what it means to the future.”

    “But what does it mean, Mulder?  What can we hope to find? You talk about truth as if it were an end in itself.”  Scully sighed.

    “Maybe you’re right. But I do know that people have a right to choose.  Without it, we’re just cattle waiting for the slaughter.”  Mulder touched the small scar left by the implant. “They took your choice away then hid behind the lies. Just like they did with Samantha. I promised you I would find the answers. I promised Samantha.”

     Curling into his chest she sighed and asked, “They say they’re there to keep us from making the wrong choices. It’s hard to argue against them. Look at where our choices have led us. War. Poverty. Disease. As universal as ever even though we could choose to end it tomorrow if we all made the necessary sacrifices.”

    He kissed her softly. “Not everyone has your heart or your drive.  The choices are harder for us mere mortals.”

     She smiled at him. “Mere mortals don’t come back from the dead.”

     “We do if someone cares enough to wait. And to believe.” Mulder kissed her again but Scully had quietly fell asleep. They had agreed to sleeping in shifts and apparently now was his turn. To stay awake, he studied the details of her face again. She wasn’t twenty one anymore. The lines of worry etched her tender skin. Dark circles under her eyes told of her exhaustion and stress. She was pale from living in his dark world. Yet she was so beautiful it brought tears to his eyes. “I’ll always wait for you.” he whispered.
_____________________________________

     When morning came, Mulder faced the stark reality that Scully alluded to the night before.  The truth and the answers were further from their reach than ever before. If the whole government was corrupt, they could justify being outlaws but now it only damaged their cause and credibility.   They agreed to call Skinner and arrange a meeting to discuss options.

     They met in a remote café in the middle of nowhere.  Skinner came alone as instructed and made his offer.  The tape for their re-instatement and safety. Like the three way stand off they had just days before, they all stood their ground defending their space.  Mulder claimed that giving them the tape was a sellout, compromising their values.  Scully knew that the tape was only the beginning and if they lost it they would still have the implant and the X-files.  Skinner just re-iterated that this was their life they were talking about.  It was his way or they would be on the run forever. No access, no clearance, no help. He offered to put himself on the line and would turn State’s evidence anyone tried to hurt Mulder or Scully once the deal was made. Finally Scully admitted plainly and selfishly that she needed to see Melissa. Mulder had no argument against her. He understood her faith and her conviction, but he also knew her humanity.  It was what saved him.  Just as Skinner ended the stand off by surrendering his gun, Mulder surrendered his beliefs at least for now.  It was his sacrifice for the Truth.
________________________________________________

    Skinner took Mulder and Scully into protective custody until he could make arrangements for their safety, then he went to the hospital to see Melissa and Maggie.  Mulder told him to expect Albert so he was surprised to see the man praying over Melissa.  He told Maggie that he was working at seeing Dana safely home and back at work.  Maggie hugged him and thanked him for his help.  Skinner slowly returned the embrace and said “You’re just as brave as your daughters.”

     Albert pointed out to Skinner a man that passed the room, noting that he’d been there for some time.  Skinner ordered Albert to stay with Maggie and Melissa then darted out after the man.   Skinner followed him into the stairwell were the man waited to ambush him.   Skinner wasn’t caught totally off guard and turned the tables on the man.  Suddenly Cardinal appeared from nowhere and began to choke Skinner. Skinner managed to stay standing until another man jumped from the floor above him.  This man Skinner recognized.  “Krychek!” Skinner choked.

     Krychek’s fist slammed hard into Skinner’s face, then repeatedly threw body punches.  He screamed words that made no sense to Skinner. “You fucking bastard! Because of you I can’t see her. I can’t go near her. You and your God damn precious Special Agents.” The blows landed with hard thumps until Skinner wasn’t moving at all.  The other two grabbed Krychek and told him to get on with it.  Krychek was panting, exhausted by his outrage.  He searched Skinner and found the tape.  Tucking it in his own pocket, he took one finally swing at Skinner, his own hand bloody and raw from the abuse.
_________________________

      When Skinner didn’t return, Maggie became concerned.  Albert said he shouldn’t leave Melissa’s side at such a crucial time but she insisted.  Albert nodded and said a final prayer then left to look for Skinner.  He found him within minutes, unconscious and battered in the stairwell.   Help came quickly and Maggie thanked Albert for his help.  Albert quickly went back to Melissa but frowned as he turned from Maggie’s view.
___________________________________

      Krychek sat sulking in the passenger seat of the car, as the man in black drove and Cardinal sat in the back.  Cardinal clasped Krychek’s shoulder and said “Smile. It’s all taken care of. The Tape. Agent Scully.  Hey, they might even save your girlfriend.”

     Krychek grumbled “But Mulder’s alive.”

     “Your don’t have to worry about that. I’ll take care of it. Just like I promised. Partners, remember?”  Cardinal said.

      The man in black stopped to get a beer and Cardinal casually announced he would get one also. In a friendly voice he asked Krychek if he wanted to join them. Krychek growled no and Cardinal just smiled and got out of the car.  As Krychek sat in the car, thinking about killing Cardinal if Melissa died, he thought he heard her voice.  He looked up, alert and weary, then noticed the flashing numbers on the clock.   “RUN!” yelled the voice in his head and he leaped from the car just seconds before it burst into flames.

    Krychek felt the heat and flame and force at his back as he hit the ground.  He looked over his shoulder and saw his ‘comrade-in-arms’ looking over with only a mild interest. He took off running as fast as he could, expecting to be shot in the back.

    Cardinal looked at the man in black.  “The kid sure runs fast. I guess we need to tell ‘him’.”

    “I’ll tell him. After all Krychek was your partner. He might think you let him get away.” The man in black answered calmly.

    “Naw. Everyone knows Krychek hates my guts.”

    “I didn’t know that.”

     “So you know now.  I’ll call.” Cardinal concluded.

     “Let’s finish our beers first.”

    “OK” Cardinal agreed. “Krychek won’t get far. He’s not smart as he thinks.”
_______________________________________

      Mulder refused to sit and wait for Skinner’s deal. He wanted the truth and he knew one man that still remembered it.  Scully reluctantly followed him to Victor Klemper’s home.  They looked for the old man in the greenhouse but found only the WMM.  He told them Klemper died of a heart attack that morning. Mulder recognized the WMM as one of the men in the photo and accused him of killing Klemper as well as the others. The WMM didn’t seem bothered by the accusation.

    The WMM proceeded to tell a tale of alien biology research disguised as genetic experiments and an international conspiracy that not only ended WWII but provided the back drop for all major international conflict since.  His father was lead to believe that DNA was being collected from all vaccinated Americans for the purpose of post- apocalyptic identification but they were in reality creating a huge genetic database to be used in the research for creating human-alien hybrids.

     Mulder was swallowing the story hook line and sinker but Scully raised her doubt.  DNA wasn’t even discovered until 1944 she pointed but the WMM asked why would he lie to them.   Scully became angry at the man she knew dealt in half truths.  The warning he gave her about her life being in danger, only served to put Melissa in the crossfire and nearly caused she to shot Skinner. But Mulder remain convinced the story was true.  He claimed her file was there because she was an abductee; she argued that there were thousands maybe millions of files there. Mulder ignored her and asked the WMM about his sister.  Scully said crossly. “Trust no one, Mulder. Look in your heart for the truth. You’ll see it if it’s there.”  then stormed out.

       Mulder turned anxiously back to the WMM unsure if he should follow Scully.  The WMM  just smiled then said that Samantha was taken as issuance against his father revealing the project. When Mulder demanded to know why they took Samantha instead of him he avoid the answer but warned Mulder that his life was in danger too now that he threaten to exposed the project. “You have become your father.  Are you prepared to make the sacrifices he could not? His life, his wife’s, his daughter’s?”

      Mulder grabbed him roughly and yelled “What daughter? What do you know? Who is Hope? Did Dana have a child? Tell me!”

    Unruffled the WMM pushed Mulder back. “I’ve already told you more than you need to know.  I’m afraid there’s more than you’ll ever know.”

     Mulder panted hard, confused and upset, unsure of what to believe anymore. “Why are you telling me any of this?”

      “Because it’s what you want to know…isn’t it.” The WMM began to walk away.

     Mulder finally yelled “If your lying to me…”

      The WMM turned to face Mulder and said, “Miss Scully is right. Truth is in the heart. We can only lie to ourselves.” Then he walked away leaving Mulder alone with his fading beliefs.

__________________________

    Krychek dialed the number from memory and asked to speak to ‘him’. The CSM tried to hide his surprise when Krychek said, “I’m alive. And somewhere will you’ll never find me you double-crossing son-of-a-bitch.” The CSM, a master at cover-up pretended it was a friendly call as Krychek threatened to use the tape to expose the whole project if anyone came near him. “One more thing…if Melissa dies, you’re all dead. You, your damn trigger men, your boy in the FBI…all dead.”

     Pretending to smile the CSM replied “Your colleague reported that you might need some help with that. Is there anything I can do?”

     “Go to hell!” Krychek screamed as he hung up the phone. He was on the run again.  Totally alone once again. But deep down he knew he would never have to be alone as long as he remembered her. If only he could stand the pain long enough to remember.

      The CSM reported smugly to the Syndicate that matter of the tape was taken care of.  The tape and Scully’s would be assassin, destroyed in a car explosion. When they asked about the problem of Mulder and Scully, he reported that Skinner wanted to make a deal for their protection.  The group was more curious than opposed to the plan but the CSM stated flatly that would be no deal, proving once again he was in control.
______________________________

      The CSM came to Skinner’s office confident that he could play the AD bluff.  The tape was with Krychek.  Despite the rumors of Krychek’s ineptness, he was the best underground man they ever trained. He could disappear for months without a trace.  But he wouldn’t dare lose or sell the tape because if he did, once he resurfaced he’d be on everyone’s hit list.  So when Skinner said  had the tape the CSM just stood his ground and said ‘no deal.’  Then he dropped veiled threats at Skinner just for the sheer audacity he had trying to bluff him.

    As the CSM turned to leave, Skinner roared “I’m not finished yet.”  Next he called out Albert who had been waiting in the private office.   The CSM demanded to know what this was all about and Skinner growled, “This is where you pucker up and kiss my ass.”

    Indignant, the CSM cried, “Now listen, you…”

    Skinner exploded in a fury of hate and vengeance. “Now, you listen to me, you son of a bitch! This man's name is Albert Hosteen. You should remember that. Because if
Agents Mulder and Scully come down with so much as a case of the flu, Albert is prepared to recite, chapter and verse, file for file, everything on your precious tape.”

     The CSM wasn’t ready to fold on another bluff. “It's a nice try, Skinner.”

     “I'm sure you're thinking Albert is an old man and there are plenty of ways you might kill him too. Which is why, in the ancient oral tradition of his people, he's told twenty other men the information on those files. So unless you kill every Navajo living in
four states... that information is available with a simple phone call.  Welcome to the wonderful world of high technology.” Skinner sneered.

     < Damn High Tech!> the CSM thought and stormed from the office.

     Skinner nodded to Albert and smiled. “I’ll take that as a deal even though we didn’t share hand.”

     Albert nodded and added, “Honor does not bound that man. Only fear.  He is afraid of you.”

     Skinner clasped Albert on the back “And of you.”

     Albert shook his head. “No. He is afraid of the truth. Even his own truth.”
_____________________________________

    Outside the FBI office, the CSM puffed furiously as he dialed his cell phone.  <The punk thinks he can play me for a fool.  Fine, you may have won this hand but I still have an ace up my sleeve. Several really.  In six months, we’ll have plausible deniability for everything on those tapes. And I have a bargaining ‘chip’, you can’t beat. Agent Scully has no idea just how advance Klemper’s work was.>  “Hello, it’s me. Is the work completed?”

     X spoke on the other end. “Yes but I’m afraid the results were not what we anticipated.  Of course we expected her to die in surgery, but according to the doctors we have on the project, they couldn’t harvest the cells.  It seems she was in the early stages of pregnancy.  I doubt even she knew.  They did recover a viable entity.”

    The CSM smiled to himself. “Be sure to take care of it. I’m a good friend of the father. And I’m sure we’ll have a use for it soon.”
__________________________________

 
      Mulder went to the hospital and found Scully sitting before an empty bed where Melissa should have been. In a small voice trying to be strong she said It happened three hours ago. She went into surgery and, uh ... the damage to her brain was worse than they had hoped.  She died for me and I tried to tell her I was sorry but I don't think she'll ever really know.”

      Mulder kneeled beside her and hugged her tightly. “She knows. Melissa knows. I saw her when I…” Scully couldn’t bear to hear the word again and buried her face into his shoulder.  “I spoke with my mother.” he said softly.  “She said it was my father’s choice, a choice she never forgave him for.”

     Scully looked sadly at him. “The freedom to choose and the consequences of our choice…maybe they’re right. Maybe it is beyond the average man.”

    Mulder pressed his face into hers. “You can’t mean that not after all we’ve fought for.”

     Scully sighed. “No but you’re right. There is no justice.”

     Mulder stroked her hair. “I don’t think it about justice. I think it's about something we have no personal choice in. I think it's about fate. About destiny. Our destiny.  We’ve both lost so much but I believe that what we're looking for is in the X-Files. I'm more certain than ever that the truth is in there.”

     Scully sat up sat stared him squarely in the eye and said with resolve, “I’ve heard the truth, Mulder. Now I what I want are the answers.”

     They embraced again and sat silently for several moments.  Finally, Mulder whispered “We’ve both touch death. The death of the one’s we love and our own deaths. There’s nothing to fear in death.  But life…life is a constant struggle to survive and grow. Even if mankind is not ready of the truth, we can learn from it until we are ready. Until our fate and our destiny is our choice.”

     Scully gazed at him sadly. “Love is not a choice either. That’s why losing you was so painful. A part of me was torn away by force. Why only you could heal me.”

     Mulder stood and took her hand as she stood. In a clear strong voice he proclaimed “But marriage IS a choice. A choice we made based on love. Our partnership in the X-Files is just an extension of those vows based on that fate that draws us towards the truth. That’s why we WILL find the answers.”

     Scully sighed and replied “Because we won’t quit until we do. Then we’ll find another question, another truth. And the partnership will continue…forever.”

     Mulder gave her a passionate kiss then whispered “At least that long.”

      They left together and returned to their home at last and shared a moment of uneasy rest. With their mutual faith restored and destiny chosen, they were reunited. Tomorrow’s fate would find them still together, as the Truth demanded.

END
______________________________________

All done! For now at least.  More heavy stuff to come but for now let me know what you think of this one.  The end drags a bit but I had to end it differently than since M/S had been separated for a very long time but sex wasn’t appropriate at this point.

All comments and suggestion should go to shinkai@mlode.com

STORY NOTES:

    What developed in this story of its own accord were issues of choice, destiny and fate.  They relate not only to relationships but to the issues of the secret government agencies.

The point of Scully and Mulder maintaining separate estates not only show potential for a rift but it makes it easier to maintain the original story lines.  Is such an arrangement unusual?  Of course but this is Mulder and Scully after all.

In this story, I looked into Mulder’s mind during the Blessing Way chant.  His own depression and darkness nearly consumes him.  But I gave Scully equal billing with his search to revitalize him.

A new twist – Mulder was abducted at the same time Scully was but ‘they’ put him back before anyone, including Mulder, noticed.  GO back to “Lonely Men” – As Mulder watch Scully disappear he felt a pin prick at the base of his neck.  SO far she hasn’t mentioned it – after all a lot has happened and she still trying to catch up with him being alive.

Poor Krychek?  He tries like crazy but he’s always screwed.  He tried to protect Scully and ends up being blamed for Melissa’s death.  But part of Melissa’s spirit ‘haunts’ him and is bound to help continue screwing up his life until he figure out he what he really wants.

Just a stray observation of the three way interaction between Scully, Skinner and Mulder in his apartment then later at the diner.

So it seems Melissa was pregnant with Krychek’s child- SURPRISE!  That’s what she gets for unsafe sex –a rat baby. Of course she’s dead now so the CSM has it and he has some nasty plan for it no doubt to trick Mulder or Scully or both.
 
Skinner and Maggie Scully seem to be buddy-buddy to the point that Maggie didn’t realized she may have weakened Melissa by asking Albert to help Skinner.  But Scully is beginning to have mixed feelings about Skinner even though Mulder seemed OK with him now. Death does give you some perspective.

And Maggie meets Krychek.  “Such a nice young man.” I could almost hear her say.  Could come in handy later when Skinner thrashes on our beloved RatBoy.

Mulder is getting more buried in the search for the truth.  Even his love for Scully is linked to it to the point that he may lose sight of them as separate pursuits.  Expect more tension in this area in the future.