Northern Alabama

Camp Anniston (1) | Camp Anniston (2) | Fort Armstrong | Fort Bluff | Fort Chinnabee | Chinnaby's Fort
Camp Coffee | Fort Confederación | Fort Deposit (b) | Camp Forse | Florence Earthworks
Gainesville Arsenal | Camp Gravelly Springs | Gunter's Landing Camp | Fort Hampton | Fort Harker
Fort Hawkins | Indian Fort | Indian Palisade (b) | Fort Jonesborough | Lashley's Fort | Fort Leslie
Leslie's Post/Station | Fort Likens | Camp Monte Sano | Fort at Muscle Shoals | Fort Payne | Sand Fort (2)
Fort Stevenson | Fort Strother | Fort J.E.B. Stuart | Sulphur Branch Trestle Fort | Camp Taylor
Fort Tombécbe | Fort Tombigbee (1) | Camp Wheeler | Fort Williams | Camp Winn | Fort York

Southern Alabama - page 1 | Mobile Bay area - page 2

Last Update: 11/JULY/2004
Compiled by Pete Payette - ©2004 American Forts Network

Fort Tombécbe
(1735 - 1799), Epes
Built as a supply depot and trading post by the French. Ceded to the British in 1761 and renamed Fort York. Abandoned in 1768. The Spanish took control in 1783 and renamed it Fort Confederación. The Americans took control in 1795 and renamed it Fort Tombigbee (1), a corruption of the original French name, and held it until 1799 when the international boundary was moved south to the 31st parallel (see Fort Stephens on page 1). The site was used as a CSA lookout post during the Civil War. Earthworks still exist on White Bluff.

Gainesville CSA Arsenal and Ordnance Depot
(1862), Gainesville
A CSA Arsenal and/or Ordnance Depot was located in the city. Undetermined location. It may have moved to Tuscalooosa in 1862 or 1863.

Fort Jonesborough
(1813), Bessemer
A settlers' stockaded fort at the old town of Jonesborough. The town was later incorporated into the city of Bessemer. A steel foundry is now on the site.

Camp Winn
(1862 - 1865), near Shelby
A CSA training camp was established at the Shelby Springs Hotel and Spa (1839). The hotel itself was taken over as a military hospital in 1865. The resort reopened in 1869, but was closed in 1915. The site is now a cattle ranch off of AL 25.

Fort Williams
(1814), near Talladega Springs
A Federal supply post and hospital. Located on the Coosa River at Cedar Creek. Site is now under the waters of the Coosa River created by the Mitchell Dam.

Indian Palisade (b)
(1540), near Talladega
A palisaded Indian village was reported here on the Coosa River by Hernando DeSoto in 1540.

Fort (Alexander) Leslie
(1813), Talladega
A Creek Indian fort, also called Leslie's Station, Leslie's Post, Fort Lashley, and Lashley's Fort (mis-spellings, but pronounced that way). These Indians were opposed to the Red Sticks, the Creek faction that was causing trouble with the settlers and General Andrew Jackson. Site located at Fort Lashley Ave. and South Street.
(thanks to Marshall Sitrin for additional info)

Fort Chinnabee
(1813), near Oxford
A Creek Indian fort six miles east of town on the north-side of Big Shoal Creek near Wolfskull Creek. Also known as Chief Chinnaby's Fort.

Camp Anniston (1)
(1862), Anniston
A CSA camp and supply base.

Camp Anniston (2)
(1898), Anniston
A Spanish-American War training camp. Renamed Camp Shipp (1917 - 1922).

Fort Strother
(1813 - 1814), near Ohatchee
General Andrew Jackson's base of operations during the Creek War. Located four miles west of town on the Coosa River opposite Charchee Creek. The palisaded fort was 100 yards square enclosing eight hospital huts, a supply house, and 25 tents, as well as a large hog pen. Built after the Battle of Tallassahatchee, and before the Battle of Talladega.

Fort Armstrong ?
(1814), near Cedar Bluff
A temporary Federal post built during the Creek War, probably located on what is now Williamson Island in Weiss Lake. Garrisoned mostly by Cherokee Indians.
According to local tradition, this site was used by the British as a supply base during the American Revolution.

Fort Payne
(1835 - 1836, 1864), Fort Payne
A stockade used for the Cherokee Removals on the "Trail of Tears". The CSA later built a small fort here to guard nitre works.
(thanks to Marshall Sitrin for additional info)

Indian Fort
(DeSoto State Park)
(unknown dates), near Fort Payne
Ancient Indian fortifications protected rock "rooms" in a cliffside near DeSoto Falls.

Fort Stevenson
(1861), Stevenson
A CSA defense of the town.

Fort Harker
(1862 - 1865), Stevenson
A rectangular 50-yard square Union earthwork with seven barbettes, a powder magazine, and a bombproof. The earthworks and four gun platforms are well-preserved, located south of the railroad depot. Excavated in 1976. Now a town park.

Fort Deposit (b)
(1813 - 1814), Guntersville
A TN militia supply base during General Andrew Jackson's Creek campaign. Located on the Tennessee River at Honey (Thompson's) Creek.

Gunter's Landing Cantonment
(1863), Guntersville
A CSA encampment.

Fort Bluff
(1861), near Hulaco
An earthwork constructed by the local residents for their own defense, it had no official recognition by the CSA government. No action is known to have taken place here.

Camp Monte Sano
(1888), Huntsville
A state militia encampment.

Camp Wheeler
(1898 - 1899), Huntsville
A Spanish-American War training camp, later renamed Camp Albert G. Forse.

Camp Taylor
(unknown dates), Huntsville
An unknown and undated post.

Fort Hampton
(1809 - 1817), near Coxey
A Federal fort located on the Elk River near the Tennessee River, built to protect Indian lands from white squatters. Also known as Fort at Muscle Shoals. Site is now the Harmony Church.

Fort Hawkins
(1812 - 1813), Limestone County
A settlers' stockaded fort on the Elk River.

Sulphur Branch Trestle Fort
(1864), Elkmont
A Union earthwork with two blockhouses protecting a major railroad bridge over Sulphur Springs Creek. Attacked and destroyed by Confederates.

Florence Earthworks
(1863), Florence
Site of Confederate breastworks in Monumental Park at South Chestnut and Parkway. At "Bounds Place" on Cypress Mill Road, there is a secret basement with loopholes in the walls, used by Confederate troops.

Camp Gravelly Springs
(1865), near Oakland
A Union camp on the Waterloo Road used as a base for raids into the state.

Sand Fort (2)
(1860's), Colbert Heights
A CSA earthwork battery.


NEED MORE INFO: Camp Coffee (date?) at Laceys Spring; Fort Likens (date?) in "Brown's Lower Valley" (location?)
Towns: Camp Hill.

Southern Alabama - page 1 | Mobile Bay area - page 2

HistoryChannel.com Shop

Barnes & Noble Books

Google

Eastern Forts

1