Notting Hill is a residential and commercial area 18 km. south-east of Melbourne, between Mount Waverley and Clayton North. Its traditional centre is on Ferntree Gully Road. The area is more a plateau than a hill, and is the site of two local water storages. A settler, Thomas Wilkinson, is generally accepted as giving the area its name because of his association with Notting Hill in London. He was a carrier between Oakleigh and Ferntree Gully and in the late 1870s opened a refreshment stop at Notting Hill, 4 km. from Oakleigh.
Ferntree Gully Road was the main thoroughfare between Mulgrave shire and Oakleigh, and Notting Hill attracted a relatively high density of farms. In 1920 there were dairy and poultry farms and market gardens, and the families agitated for a school which was finally opened in 1927. The school had an active Young Farmers' Club with livestock kept in the school grounds, and in 1937 was judged Victoria's best Young Farmers' Club. The shire transferred its offices from Oakleigh to Notting Hill in 1920, where they remained until 1955 when the growing area of Glen Waverley was the site chosen for larger offices.
The Notting Hill hotel remains a prominent landmark. Much of Notting Hill is occupied by industrial premises, a large drive-in hardware superstore and the Monash Business Park. Monash University adjoins the southern boundary of Notting Hill and the Rusden Campus of Deakin University is near the eastern boundary. An early A.V. Jennings housing estate (late 1950s), is around Westerfield Drive, east of the Rusden campus. The primary school was replaced by Amstel and Monash schools, west and east of Notting Hill respectively.
Webpage designed and maintained by the Webmaestros at the NCAS Multimedia.
For more information on the Webmaestros, contact Chris Baker or David Crean