Map Reference: J597457
This tower-house was supposedly built by John Sely, Bishop of Down, between 1413 and 1141. He was deprived of the bishopric in 1441 after complaints of his living with Lettice Thomas, a married woman. The castle was garrisoned for the crown at the start of the 17th century and in the middle of the next century it was described as being roofed with thatch.
It is built of split-stone rubble with sandstone dressings. It is four storeys high with very fine crenellations. It has twin projecting towers similar to Audley's Castle and Jordan's Castle at the NE and SE corners. These rise above the roof level and crenellations. There is a high machicolation arch spanning the gap.
The entrance in the SE turret leads to a spiral stairway. The NE turret has three garderobes and a latrine chute. The castle is vaulted above the ground floor.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer