• The History of The Lucknow Branch
The branch as it appears today.

Lucknow's first library was a branch of the Mechanic's institute, which was an organization primarily for study purposes. The late Walter Treleaven was the first Librarian and this local Institute was situated where W.J. Spindler's home stood, and above it was the Oddfellows Hall.

In due time a library Board was formed and the Library was transferred to the Old Town Hall where the Supertest Garage now stands. Robert Graham was the Librarian. It was sustained by readers fees and municipal grants. Fiction was not popular than as today.

In the early part of the present century, Andrew Carnegie, a wealthy philanthropist, was donated money for libraries. He was interviewed as to building a Library in Lucknow and by his generosity the construction was made possible for the New Town Hall, which was opened in 1910 at a cost of $10,000 the Carnegie endowment contributing $7,500.

The Library from then on was supported by grants from the Ontario Government, the Village of Lucknow, Bruce and Huron Counties, from membership fees and fines from overdue books.

The library board at the time of the opening of the new Library was composed of Drs. A. G. Siddall. The building committed of three was Reeve John Joynt, (grandfather of the present reeve) and J.J. Henderson.

Because it is on the borderline of Huron and Bruce Counties, Lucknow Library has the privilege of being a member of both County Associations, this making available to the public a greater number of books.

Miss Louise Treleaven (who was a daughter of the first librarian, Walter Treleaven) was librarian from 1912 to 1948 and gave the finest of service. When she resigned she was made Honour Librarian and was succeeded by the present librarian, Mrs. A. E. Marshall.

In 1938 the first Book Fair was held to display the new books. The following year the Book Fair was honoured by the presence of L. M. Montgomery, the famous authoress.

In 1943 the Bruce County CO-OP Association was formed and Lucknow joined it, and obtains 150 books every four months.

In 1944 Mr. Mowat, inspector of Public Libraries, advised decorating the Library. To this end new furniture and new books were added, and a new office was built. This made a bright modern reading room.

In 1948 the board joined the Huron County Library Association and receives 100 books every three months.

In 1956 the library was redecorated. New lights were installed, the ceiling was lowered and the floor was sanded and waxed. New furniture was purchased as well as a large dictionary and a stand for it. The Library board of 1958 was comprised of : Chairman, Mr. S. E. Collyer; Sec. Treas. Mrs. W. R. Howey; Messrs. E. H. Agnew, P. W. Hoag, A. E. McKim, Mrs. Jessie Allen.

Library in the Carnegie Hall Since 1910.

The present Town Hall, construction of which was aided materially by a donation of $7,500 from millionaire Andrew Carnegie, on the stipulation that a Carnegie Library be embodied in the building and that it receive an annual municipal grant.

Negotiations for this assistance from Mr. Carnegie were commenced in 1906 but it was not till 1910 that the building became a reality and was opened and dedicated during the reeveship of John Joynt. In his dedicatory remarks at the opening of the Town Hall, on June 6th, 1910 Mr. Joynt said; And now ladies and gentlemen, by virtue of the authority and conferred in me by the ratepayers of the village of Lucknow, I hereby officially and finally declare open and dedicated for civil, moral and educational purposes, the Town Hall and Public Library, hoping that wisdom, harmony and justice shall prevail in all deliberations held within its walls, that the influence of the good books which it contains shall go forth more and more to be the betterment itself shall stand through long years to come, a monument to him whose liberality rendered it possible and to those whose public spirit carried it to its completion.