Home Index A-Z Contact Us

 

 

Historical Attractions

County Historian
Great Falls
Lambert Castle
Long Pond Ironworks
Paterson Museum
Hist. House Museums
Morris Canal


 



 

PATERSON MUSEUM – Thomas Rogers Building, 2 Market Street, Paterson, NJ 07501

Paterson MuseumPaterson Museum – Thomas Rogers Building, 2 Market Street, Paterson – Owned and maintained by the City of Paterson, the Museum was organized in 1925. Its first exhibit, displayed in the assembly room of the Danforth Public Library, consisted of natural history objects donated by local residents.

Two years later, the growing collection was moved to the adjacent carriage house of former Mayor Nathan Barnert, and within a few years, its mineral collection was one of the largest in New Jersey. The museum was relocated to the restored Thomas Rogers Locomotive Erecting Shop in 1982, giving visitors the opportunity of viewing a variety of artifacts and exhibits which help tell the industrial history of Paterson. Visitors will enjoy looking over the dyeing, winding, warping, weaving and Jacquard loom products that gave Paterson its worldwide reputation in silk and textiles.

Changing exhibits compliment the museum’s permanent displays. For several years, the Museum had featured the work of local and metropolitan artists. Historical researchers will find ample documentary resources on city history, which include the papers of submarine inventory John Philip Holland, original manuscripts, and a photograph collection consisting of approximately 50,000 negatives and prints. For additional information on visiting hours, programs and events please call (973) 321-1260.

 
 

Copyright 2003 Passaic County.... All rights reserved