Fain Family Documents

From Men of Mark in Georgia...

The FAIN family history is of sufficient interest to be given in some detail. They are an ancient French family. The original name in France was FAINS or VEYNES. One branch of the family migrated to England eight hundred years ago, during the time of King John. In the year 1207 we find Thomas de Vein the holder of lands in Gloucestershire. The English changed the name into FANE, and the family rose to knightly honors finally in the time of Charles I. The knight of that day was created Earl of Westmoreland. The FANES have prospered in England, and Anthony Mildmay Julian FANE, present head of the English family, is the thirteenth Earl of Westmoreland.

One branch of the American family is descended from Nicholas FAIN, born in France in 1730. He moved to Ireland; married Elizabeth Taylor, an English lady, in 1752 ; migrated from Ireland to America in 1753; located temporarily in Pennsylvania, and later settled in Dandridge, Tennessee. The children of Nicholas FAIN were Samuel, John, David, William, Thomas, Ebenezer, Reuben, and Elizabeth.

One of these sons, Ebenezer FAIN, was born August 27, 1762, in Chester county, Pennsylvania, and died December 29, 1842, in Habersham county, Georgia. While his people were resident in Washington county, Virginia, and when he was but fourteen years of age, Ebenezer FAIN enlisted in the Patriot armies for a three months' term, serving under Captain James Montgomery and Colonel William Christian.

While serving this short enlistment, the boy was stationed at Black Fort and Montgomery Station and was engaged in two battles with Indians, in one of which sixteen were killed. June, 1780, found him serving under Captain William Trimble as a Light Horseman in Colonel Charles Robertson's command. They were joined at Gilberttown by other troops and marched to the Pacolet River in South Carolina, where they engaged in a successful combat with the British.

While acting, as sentry at night, during the encampment of the command at Buffalo Creek on Broad River, young FAIN, shot John Foulin, a spy, on whom was found an express note from Lord Cornwallis to the Tory Captain Moore, urging him to defend his fort until some troops could reach him. The Americans took advantage of this information, captured Moore and his fort, together with one hundred men, and then dispersed at Musgrove Mills the party sent to reinforce Captain Moore. At Wofford's Iron Works the Americans were attacked suddenly at night, and after a severe struggle were driven back; but rallying, they renewed the fight and defeated the enemy, taking Major Dunlap, the commander, a prisoner.

Young FAIN was afterwards transferred to Captain Cunningham's company, attached to Colonel Elijah Clarke's Georgia Regiment, at Augusta, Georgia. Discharged from the service at the expiration of his term, he immediately re-enlisted in September, 1780, as a mounted horseman, and took part in the memorable pursuit of Colonel Ferguson, who was overtaken at King's Mountain, South Carolina October 7, 1780; defeated; killed, and his entire command captured. In this struggle, FAIN was wounded in one leg. From November, 1780, he rendered valiant service as horseman under Captain Gibson and Colonel Sevier in their expeditions against the Indians, who were badly defeated and their towns destroyed.

He retired from the service April, 1781, and in June, 1781, married in Jonesboro, Tennessee, Mary Black. Of this marriage there were the following children:

David, born August 5, 1782, who lived in Gilmer county, Georgia;

Margaret, born August 6, 1786 who lived in Pendleton, South Carolina, and Gilmer county Georgia;

Mercer, born February 28, 1789, who lived in Pendleton, South Carolina, and Texas;

Elizabeth, born July 7 1891, who lived at Pendleton, South Carolina, and Habersham county, Georgia. Elizabeth married Jehu Trammel, father of the late L. N. Trammel, who lived and died in the Nacoochee Valley, Georgia. ;

Mary Ann, born January 6, 1794, who lived in Buncombe county, North Carolina, and Gilmer county, Georgia;

Sally, born May 30, 1796, who lived in Buncombe and Macon counties, North Carolina;

John, born December 14, 1797, who lived in Buncombe county, North Carolina, and Gilmer county, Georgia. John's son Mercer was the father of William LaFayette Fain, of Atlanta, senior partner of the firm of W. L. and W. M. Fain, which operated the largest grain elevator and warehouse in the city and was a leading firm in the grain trade. W. L. Fain was born December 28, 1846 in Murphy, North Carolina. ;

Rebecca, born December 10 1799, who lived in Buncombe county North Carolina, and Lumpkin county, Georgia. Rebecca married John W. Hughes. ;

Polly Ann, born April 11, 1804, who lived in Mississippi.

Ebenezer Fain had a most excellent Revolutionary War record, of which his descendants have a just right to be proud. Another notable member of the Fain family was William Clayton Fain, of Fannin county, a lawyer. William Clayton Fain was a member of the Secession Convention of Georgia, and after the long and hard struggle which resulted in the passage of the ordinance, he was one of that small number who refused to compromise their convictions by signing it.

Going back to France, there looms up in the Fain family a most notable man in the person of Baron Agathon Jean Frederick Fain, born in Paris 1778, and died in 1837. After service under the Directory, Baron Fain was in 1806 appointed Secretary of the Imperial Archives, and in 1813 became secretary to the Emperor Napoleon, whom he accompanied in all his tours until 1815, when he drew up the document in which Napoleon definitely abdicated the throne of France.

In 1830 he became First Secretary of the Cabinet under Louis Phillipe and was several times entrusted with the administration of the Civil List. He also served as a Deputy of Montargis until 1834. Baron Fain was quite an author and published certain memoirs of the later years of Napoleon, such as "Le Manuscrit de 1814" and other works in 1812, 1813, 1814, 1827 and 1828,‹all of which were readable, interesting, and have definite historical value by reason of his position in the inner circles of the government.

From Men of Mark in Georgia edited by William J. Northen, ex- governor of Georgia. Scanned and updated by Darrell Rainey, great great grandson of Rebecca Fain.


Ebenezer Fain - Revolutionary War Pension Application

Declaration of Ebenezer Fain to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress of the 7th of June, 1832, State of Georgia, Habersham County on this 11th day of March, 1836, personally appeared at open court before the Honorable Judge of the Inferior Court of said county now sitting for said county.

Ebenezer Fain is of the age of 73 years and six months, resident of said county and according to law and his oath makes the following Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed on the 7th day of June, 1832.

That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated. That he first entered the service of the United States under Captain James Montgomery in Washington County in the State of Virginia in June, One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy Six as a militiaman for the term of three months under the command of Col. William Christians when he was about 14 years of age. That he served during the said 3 months at a place called Black Fort and Montgomery Station. During that time he was engaged in two battles with the Indians in which 16 Indians were killed. Colonel Christian from Virginia marched in considerable force in to the Cherokee country while the applicant was engaged in this service. He was discharged by Captain Montgomery and received pay two or three years afterwards at Washington in Virginia.

He entered a second term of duty under Captain William Trimble and Colonel Charles Robertson as a volunteer militia light horseman in Washington County, North Carolina, now Tennessee, the first of June One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty One. He marched to and trained at Gilberttown for a week or two and then joined Colonel Charles McDowellıs Regiment. Colonel Isaac Shelby and Colonel Elijah Clarke from Georgia was also there. He was marched with said troups to Hamptons on the Pacolet River in South Carolina where a skirmish took place with the British. The Americans lost two men killed and took several prisoners among whom was a British Captain Patterson. The detachment marched then to Broad River near the mouth of Buffalo Creek. When while a sentry I shot a stray by the name of John Franklin and found an exchange from Lord Cornwallis to a Tory Captain Moor urging him to defend his Fort David Jonothan and to reinforce him. We made a forced march to said Fort at a place called Thickty in South Carolina and Captain Moor gave up the fort and surrendered himself and about 100 men as prisoners of war. We then set out to meet the General and reinforcements from the British Army and met them at a place called Shady Grove Mill. Had an engagement with them and drove them back with considerable loss. Then we took shelter in the mill, barn and dwelling houses where we slept. Then we marched to Lauren Fork near Woffords Iron Works where we had an engagement with the British commanded by Major Dunlap. We were suddenly charged by the British from the right and after a short but severe struggle in which a number were severely wounded by the broadsword. Among them was Colonel Elijah Clark of Georgia. We were compelled to give way. The Regiment after retreating a short distance again rallied and continued the fight. The enemy was finally defeated. Their commander, Major Dunlop, was wounded and taken prisoner. After this the declarant was placed under the command of Captain Cunningham and attached to Colonel Clarkıs Regiment. Colonel Clarke marched for Georgia but after hearing that Augusta and nearly all Georgia was in the hands of the British and Tories we marched back to Ruteledge Ford on the Saluda River, Colonel Clarke having heard that Major Ferguson with a strong detachment of British and Tories was marching up toward the mountains sent this declarant with an exchange to Colonel Sevier and Shelby in Washington County, North Carolina, now Tennessee and this declarant returned from them with one to Colonel Clarke. And his time of Service of three months having expired he returned home.

In a very short time after this declarant arrived at home at the solicitation of Colonel Swain he entered the service again as the substitute of one Jacob Vance who was drafted and refused to serve, The legislature of North Carolina passed an Act that under such circumstances the drafted man should pay the substitute sixty dollars which the said Vance paid the declarant after his return. This declarant states that this time he served three months having mustered in to service about the fifteenth of September in Washington County, North Carolina, now Tennessee, under Captain Christopher Taylor, John Sevier, Colonel. In this tour he served as a mounted man and marched thence to the Cowpens in South Carolina where we met Colonel Campbell of Virginia, Colonel Shelby, Colonel Cleveland and Colonel Williams. Thence we marched in pursuit of Major Ferguson and overtook him at Kings Mountain. This declarant was engaged in that battle and received a wound in the leg. This declarant accompanied the greater part of the Army to Rutherford, North Carolina and thence to Morganton as it is now called in Burke County, North Carolina and was in a short time thereafter discharged.

The declarant entered on a fourth tour of duty immediately after the close of the last under Captain Gibson in said County of Washington, North Carolina under Colonel Sevier as a volunteer Light Horseman and marched to a place called the Big Island on the French Broad River in the Cherokee Nation near which an engagement with the Indians took place. They were defeated with a loss of fifteen or twenty killed. A few days afterwards we were joined by Colonel Arthur Campbell of Virginia and from thence was marched to old Chota town where we had a small skirmish and killed one Indian on the 24th of December of the same year. The next day Major Jesse Walton with a part of the forces, this declarant among them, marched upon a town called Sitaco. Killed several Indians and took fifteen or twenty prisoners, mostly women and children and returned to headquarters at Chota. Then marched to Tellico towns and were engaged in a skirmish. The Indians moved to the north and were pursued. We lost a Captain Elliott killed. We then marched to big Hiawassee, took some prisoners and returned to Tellico. We then returned home. The declarant was discharged at Jonesboro, now Tennessee in the last of February or first of March Seventeen Hundred and Eighty One having served upward of two months.

The declarant was again called in to service and served as a light horseman in a Company of Rangers under Captain Christopher Cunningham and under Colonel Sevier and Carter for the purpose of watching the Indians and Tories and guarding the Frontier. That he was constantly marching and ranging through this country following and engaging the Indian Country and the frontier of Washington County North Carolina, now Tennessee. That he was in one skirmish with Indians. He with thirteen or fourteen others were attacked in a house. They defended themselves from early morning until about mid day and then relieved by Colonel Sevier. The Indians had several killed. The declarant entered this tour of duty on the First of April Seventeen Hundred and Eighty One and served six months having been discharged in October following. He received he thinks ten dollars a month for service.

This declarant states that he was actively engaged in the service of the United States during the Revolutationary War as before stated about fifteen months and about one half.

This declarant states that he was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania on the 27th day of August Seventeen Hundred and Sixty Two and the only record of his age which he has is his family bible which he has at home. He also states that he resided in Washington County, Virginia at the time he first entered in to service. He moved to Washington County, North Carolina, now Tennessee in the year Seventeen Hundred and Seventy Eight and continued to reside there until the year Seventeen Hundred and Eighty three and then moved to the District of Ninety Six in South Carolina to that part of it now called Pickens District which he resided until Seventeen Hundred Ninety Two and then moved to Buncombe County, North Carolina where he resided until the year Eighteen Eighteen and then moved in to that part of the State of Georgia now called Habersham County where he has resided every since and where he still resides.

This declarant states that he always volunteered his services when he served upon his various tours of duty and once when he served as a substitute for one Jacob Vance as herefore stated.

This declarant states that there was no Continental or Regular Officers among the troops with which he served as this declarant believes and with the Militia Regiments having been specified unto the fore sworn part of this declaration of his service.

This declarant states that he never received any written discharges from any of his several tours of duty. This declarant states that he is known in his immediate neighborhood by the Reverent Jesse Richardson and the Reverent Francis Bird clergymen of the Methodist Church and by Thomas Hughes, Esquire who can testify as to his character for validity in the tours of service as a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He does not produce them in court because the Reverent Francis Bird has just lately moved a considerable distance and the Reverent Jesse Richardson is unable to attend on account of old age and sickness, He is also acquainted with Samuel A. Wales and John Stamish who can testify as to his character and verity as they believe of his service as a soldier of the Revolution. This declarant states that there is now no person living within his knowledge who can state in detail any fundamental knowledge of his service or conversation thereabout obtain.

This declarant further states that he made the declaration substantially the same as the above about two years ago and was sent back by the War Department on account of some formal defect to Thomas J. Rush, Esquire for amendment and that it arrived but the said Thomas J. Rush as this declarant is advised and believes never returned the same to the Department That the said Thomas J. Rush has gone to Texas and after the most diligent search among his papers and when the same could not be found and therefore he makes the second declaration for the purpose before stated.

This declarant hereby relinquishes any claim whatsoever to any pension from the before stated declaration and the declarant thinks and states that his name is not on any pension role of any agency in any state.

Sworn and subscribed in open court in the year aforesaid.

/s/ Charles Ware, J.I.C.

/s/ Ebenezer Fain

The application for benefits was accepted and approved and returned to Habersham County, Georgia. The certificate reads as follows:

Ebenezer Fain - GA, NC, Va. - Born Pa. - R3421, GA 30983 Pvt. - Company of Capt., Montgomery of Regiment commanded by Colonel Christian - Role of Georgia - Rate of $40.00 per annum to commence on the 4th of March 1831. Certificate of pension issued the 7th day of February 1837 and sent to Hon. B. Cleveland.

Arrears to 9/4/1836

$220.00 Semi-annual Allowance to March 4 20.00 Total 240.00

Among the documents relating to Ebenezer Fain we also find a deposition relating to his Family which follows:

(STATE OF GEORGIA COUNTY OF GILMER )

This l9th day of June 1846 before Benjamin Chastain, J. P. appears John Fain, age 47 in accordance with the Act of July 7, 1838 per taining to widows and heirs of soldiers of the Revolution. He swears that he is the son of Ebernezer and Polly Fain and that Ebenezer died on 29th December 1842 and left widow Mary (Polly) who died 11 Feb 1846 in Gilmer County. She continued to live on the plantation and much of the time at residence of deponant. He swears that he often heard mother and father say they were married about the close of the War of Revolution. He believes they were married at Jonesborough (now in Tennessee) about 1781 and from bible records finds his brother David Fain the oldest child was born August 3, 1782 in Washington County, NC. (now Tennessee).

That said David Fain is now living in Gilmer County and calls himself 64 years of age. That his sister Margaret was born August 6, 1786 in Pendleton District, SC.., Mercer Fain was born February 28, 1789 in Pendleton District, S. C. Elizabeth Fain was born July 7th, 1791 in Pendleton District, S.C. Mary Ann Fain was born January 6th, 1794 in Buncombe County, N.C. Sally Fain was born May 30, 1796 in Buncombe County, N C. John Fain, the deponant, was born December 14th 1797 in Buncombe County, NC. Rebecca Fain was born December 10th 1799 in Buncombe County, N. C. Polly Ann Fain was born April 1804 in Buncombe County, NC.

The above 9 children now living as follows: David, Margaret (Thomas), John - Gilmer County, Georgia Elizabeth (Trammell) - Habersham County, Georgia Sally (Howard) - Macon County, N. C. Rebecca (Hughes) - Lumpkin County, Georgia Polly Ann (Harwell) in Mississippi Mercer Fain - Texas Mary Ann (McJunkin) Gilmer County, Georgia


History of Knob Creek Community

George and Margaret Holley

Knob Creek was one of the earliest settlements in what is now East. Tennessee. Names of some of the settlers were John McMahan' Nicolas Fain, Joseph Young, Charles Duncan, John Calahan, Pharoah Cobb William McBee, Peter Range, Isaac Hammer, John Miller, Joseph Bowman, William and Peter Reeves, Henry Bashor, Bill Melvin Michael Krouse, and John Carr. Some of these men fought in the Revolutionary War and received land grants. They have left their mark as some of their houses and a mill still stand today.

Knob Creek was a self-sufficient community with grist and flour mills a foundry, blacksmith shops, stores, a stage coach road and inn, post offices, schools, and churches.

In the center of the community was the Knob Creek Brethren Church Nearby was the Oak Hill School. The Knob Creek Brethren Church was the first Brethren church in the state of Tennessee, being established in 1799. The first Love Feast, which was communion by washing of the feet, breaking of the unleavened bread, and drinking of the wine, was held in Michael Krouse's house. Church services were held other times in homes until the log church was built in 1834. Deacon Joseph Bowman's home was built with removable panels in the two front rooms and was used for church meetings. The log church building was 50 feet by 36 feet with a council room addition of 16 feet by 18 feet. In 1844 an additional shed was built for the purpose of holding Tennessee's first Annual Meeting of the Brethren Churches. The chief ministerial force of the church was Daniel Bowman and Michael Krouse. The former preached in English and the latter in German. The first deacons were Joseph Bowman and John Bowman. The present church building was erected in 1905.

The 1790 the Rev. Samuel Doak and Hezikiah Balch organized the Hebron Church at the head of Knob Creek. The first elders were John Blair McMahan, Samuel Fain, and Adam Mitchell, Sr. The log building was also used as a school house. Eventually the Hebron congregation left the old log building on Knob Creek and relocated in Jonesborough. The name was changed to Jonesborough Presbyterian Church.

On Knob Creek Road a stone monument marks the home of William Nelson as "an ancient home of Methodists and Methodist preaching.'' Bishop Asbury, an early Methodist bishop, held the annual conference here in 1793-1796-1797.

The Oak Hill School was built in 1886. Daniel Bowman sawed the lumber for the school house in 1885 according to an old ledger. School was held in this building until 1952. Education of the community's children was carried on at other times and places such as at Hebron and at a building near Peter Bowman's house which was a voting precinct, and at the Carr School and at McNeil School.

Alphaeus Dove was post master at Knob Creek (location unknown) from 29 July 1856 until 18 October 1859. A post office called Vineland was in Newton Alexander Patterson's home. He was a judge and an inventor. He invented the eagle wing propeller which was used in ships. The post mistress was Mary Sue Reeves Patterson from 21 May 1892 until 30 November 1900.

The Old Stage Coach Road ran through the community and a stage coach inn was located near the David Deaderick home. A road marker (milepost seven) marked seven miles to Jonesborough from what is now the entrance to Roundtree Subdivision.

Beginning at the headwaters of Knob Creek and locating all the waterpowered machinery, it is obvious that the waters of the creek were reused many times. A dam and earthen water race provided power for a cotton spinning mill at the Deaderick place according to an article in Herald and Tribune by Paul Fink. Also, it is said a nail factory was located nearby. Word was handed down that the dam broke and nearly everything below it washed away. There was a three-story mill on the Joseph Bowman homestead. Below the mill was a power plant belonging to Daniel F. Bowman. Daniel B. Bowman had a sawmill and later also a power plant was located nearby. The Reeds had a grist mill below Oak Hill School. George Miller had several waterwheels using power for a machine shop, a saw mill, and a blacksmith shop. Henry Bashor's mill still stands and was built cat 1832. He married Elizabeth Bowman? a daughter of Deacon Joseph Bowman and Mary Hoss. A short distance further Bill Melvin's grist mill was located. The Peter Range Mill had two water wheels. The next mills were John Edens' and Buck Hale's near the mouth of Knob Creek.

Knob Creek was placed on the National Historical Register of Historical Places as a Historic District in 1986. Ten buildings and three cemeteries include the following: Jacob Krouse house, 1912; Homer Sell house, 1925; Henry Bashor Mill, 1832; Charles Duncan house, 1765: Duncan-Melvin Cemetery, prior to 1818; George Miller house. 1830-1890; Miller Cemetery, 18S9; Oak Hill School, 1886; Knob Creek Brethren Church, 1905; Knob Creek Cemetery, 1848, Bowman-Bond house, 1848, Peter Bowman house, 1907, Solomon Miller house, 1810.

Other old homes in the Knob Creek community include: Peter Miller house, 1810; William Reeves house, 1840; Peter Miller Reeves house. 1846; Carr-Crumley house, 1790; Issac Hammer house, 1793; John Hammer house (?); John Miller-Adam Sell house, 1788.

Old cemeteries include: Persinger, Knob Creek Church of the Brethren, Bowman-Bond graveyard, Reed, Miller, Duncan-Melvin, Hunt, Brown-Peoples, Northington, Crumley, Krouse, Sell, Hammer. and Range. Other abandoned burial sites also exist.

The 1905 the Carolina, Clinchfield, and Ohio Railroad (C.C.&O) was built through the middle of the community and in 1969 Interstate 181 cut through the lower half of the once upon a time peaceful and serene countryside.

Sources of information: 1934 Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Brethren Church, D.B. Bowman ledger, Bell Gardner Hammond in Herald and Tribune, Tennessee Historical Markers, Post Offices of Washington County, Paul Fink in Herald and Tribune, Community legend

Written by Margaret Sherfey Holley, Route 4, Box 183, Johnson City, TN 37604

Knob Creek, Tennessee Homecoming '86 Self-Guided Tour

Wouldn't you love to have seen Knob Creek community 100 years ago? Come with us and visit some of the historic sites of the Knob Creek Valley from the head waters of Knob Creek almost to where it empties into the Watauga River. Follow the directions and don't get lost! Happy touring!

1. KNOB CREEK CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN was organized in 1799. Isaac Hammer was the first resident minister in the State of Tennessee. The present building was built in 1905.

2. OAK HILL SCHOOL - Lumber for the school was sawed by D.B. Bowman in 1886. Clyde Bond has the ledger with this information.

3. SOLOMON MILLER HOUSE - Solomon Miller was the son of John (Jack) Miller & Mary Kelly Miller. He was born in l 836 and buried in Reed Cemetery. Father of blind Manuel Miller, the cattle trader.

4. REED GRAVEYARD - part of land grant from the State of North Carolina to Samuel Fain. Nicolas Fain is supposed to be buried here. Also John Reed and wife who gave land for Reed Nursing Home.

Retrace to Church

5. BOWMAN-BOND HOUSE - has within the walls an original log cabin built 1800-1810. The large part was under construction in 1860 and was finished after the Civil War.

6. SITE OF LOG CHURCH - The log Knob Creek Church was built in 1834. (Pictures in vestibule of present church.)

Turn Left - up the hill.

7. BOWMAN-BOND GRAVEYARD - established cat 1845.

8. PETER BOWMAN HOUSE & BARN - last pinned barn on Knob Creek.

9. SITE OF OLD SCHOOL HOUSE - old school was located in a grove of oak trees on this spot.

Left and thru RR underpass and Left again.

10. JOSEPH BOWMAN SPRINGHOUSE - The old brick springhouse was built before the big house. The house was built in 1818 of homemade brick.

11. NILE BOWMAN HOUSE - Nile Bowman was a son of Dr. Sam Bowman & Sue Virginia Bowman, daughter of George Bowman.

12. JOHN McMAHAN, ROGAN, DEADERICK-VINES HOUSE SITE - John McMahan was one of the earliest settlers.

Left to Headtown Road

13. NAIL FACTORY & COTTON SPINNING MILL SITE

14. WATER RACEWAY & DAM TO NAIL FACTORY - evidence can still be seen of the water race that furnished the power for the nail factory and mill.

15. PETER MILLER HOUSE - Peter Miller built his house of homemade brick about 1885. His daughter married Edward P. Reeves, father of Peter Miller Reeves.

Retrace to Simmons Road and right.

16. JOSEPH BOWMAN MILL SITE

Retrace to Knob Creek Road and left.

17. JUDGE NEWTON PATTERSON HOUSE - VINELAND POST OFFICE - Judge Newton Alexander Patterson married Mary Susan Reeves. He was the inventor of the Eagle Wing propeller for ships. Vineland Post Office was in their house.

18. WILLIAM H. REEVES HOUSE - William Reeves and Peter Reeves married Devault sisters, daughters of Valentine Devault. They were trained carpenters' building several courthouses, one Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina. William did the carvings in his own farm house called ''Wheatland."

Retrace thru Underpass - Go past Church on left

19. GEORGE MILLER HOUSE - first house burned before he moved into it, then this house was constructed.

20. MILLER GRAVEYARD - founded during the Civil War. A memorial to Jonas Little, Revolutionary War soldier was here.

21. HUNT GRAVEYARD - the antique iron fence was removed in 1985. Possible abandonment!

22. SNOW MEMORIAL - Snow Chapel was organized in 1892. The building was replaced in 1959 by the present brick structure.

Cross Sunset Drive

23. PETER MILLER REEVES HOUSE - Peter Miller Reeves and Will Reeves were sons of Edward P. Reeves who lived 2 miles southwest of Jonesborough. Peter purchased 200 acres from executors of Richard Carr. ''Sinking Springs."

Turn Left into Summit.

24. CARP-REEVES GRAVEYARD - Peter Miller Reeves and Matilda Devault Reeves are buried here. Also Richard Carr and wife, Martha King Carr.

Retrace to Knob Creek Mill Road.

25. SITE OF GEORGE MILLER MACHINE SHOP, BLACKSMITH SHOP & SAWMILL - In 1892-93 his sons brought plans for a ferris wheel from the World's Fair at Chicago. He proceeded to build one. He made frequent repairs for the railroad on their engines. George Miller owned slaves.

26. DUNCAN-MELVIN-CARATHERS GRAVEYARD - Charles Duncan gravestone dates b. 1748-d. 1818.

27. CHARLES DUNCAN LOG CABIN - Cabin is enclosed within the walls of this house and was built cat 1765. The two land grants state that he resided on the land acquired by the grants.

28. HENRY BASHOR MILL - built cat 1838. Married Elizabeth Bowman daughter of Joseph Bowman, Sr. and Mary Hoss Bowman. This mill is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Go to top of hill, turn right on West Oakland Avenue and then right on Peoples Street.

29. PEOPLES-BROWN GRAVEYARD - established during Civil War.

Retrace to West Oakland Avenue, Right on West Oakland, and Left on Brown's Mill Road.

30. SITE OF PRITCHETT HOUSE - house built by Alfred Pritchett~ father of John & Ruell.

31. NORTHINGTON GRAVEYARD - not listed in Washington County Cemetery book - recently located.

Left on Mountain View Road, left on Homestead Lane.

32. MICHAEL KROUSE, CARR. CRUMLEY HOUSE & LOG CABIN & GRAVEYARD - John Carr, Revolutionary War soldier, is buried here.

Retrace to Mountain View Road, Right to Brown's Mill Road, Left on Brown's Mill Road to Chickasaw and Right.

33. MICHAEL KROUSE HOUSE - The first Love Feast of the Brethren Church in Tennessee was held at this site of Michael Krouse first home.

34. KROUSE GRAVEYARD - Michael Krouse and wife and several of his children are buried here.

Sequoyah Drive to Highway 36, Right to Mountain View Road, Left on Mountain View Road.

35. ED THOMAS HOUSE - owned now by John Joy - Old Union Baptist Church building moved to this site.

36. ISAAC HAMMER HOUSE - built 1793. It was an Inn on the Old Stage Road. He was married to Susanah Milhous widow of Jacob Bowman, father of Joseph Bowman, Sr. They are buried nearby.

Turn Right on Timberlake Road, Right on 11-E.

37. JOHN HAMMER HOUSE - related to Isaac Hammer.

To the red light on 11E and turn left on Oakland Avenue.

38. PETER RANGE STONE HOUSE - built 1804. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. Site of Peter Range Mill.

To return to Church - Retrace on West Oakland Avenue, crossing Highway 11E, Highway 36, go to Knob Creek Road and turn Right. Church on left.

HOME