Previews Reviews Top Media User Movies Forums Community GameTrailers.com

ad advertisement
  GameTrailers.com Forums » Sony » PS3 > Sony announces PS3 Online System

Mesoian
Level 13

Old Sony announces PS3 Online System posted 11-04-2005

and it's just as fucking lackluster as the PS2.

Quote:
PS3: Sony sticks with non-unified online service

Posted Nov 3, 2005, 11:40 AM ET by James Ransom-Wiley
Related entries: Culture, Online, PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3 (back)

Suicide. If reports are true, then Sony is entering the next-generation battle without a central online gaming service. What? Why? Who—

According to OPM (via GamesFirst), online gaming on the PlayStation 3 will be left to the discretion of individual publishers—just like on the PS2. While some may argue that this gives publishers greater freedom to design a unique online experience, it also makes it difficult for Sony to control the quality of that experience. And from a gamer’s standpoint, it’s a real pain in the neck, since each publisher will require its own user account (and possibly fees).

With Microsoft blazing trails, and Nintendo showing promise, it’s hard to believe that Sony is so lackluster about jumpstarting a centralized online service. There’s no doubt that online gaming will be an essential component of next-generation consoles. Both Microsoft and Nintendo appear committed to making that a user-friendly experience. Sony on the other hand, well, it may have just turned its back on us…
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000813066433/

Fucking lazy buggers.

::Throws up hands:: Well there goes a BIG part of why I was considering the PS3 for speedy purchase. All we can hope for now is that, since the ethernet adapter is part of the launch hardware (at least it was last I checked), more developers won't see online multiplayer as a partial commodity and include support for it.

::Huff:: Damnit Sony! I want to love you but you're just so stupid! You're like a racist girl who really likes me. I wanna love you back, but occationally you say or do something that so stupid, it just sickens me.

Zeon
Level 0

Old posted 11-04-2005

More like Sony announces half-assed PS3 online system...

Can't believe Sony isn't really serious about this...

Old posted 11-04-2005

What the FUCK is Joystiq again?

Old posted 11-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian
Sony announces PS3 Online System
More like Sony doesn't announce an online system

As for developer support, wont lack of significant memory storage - i.e., a HDD - at launch effect developer's online plans?
  LifeOne
Level 9

Old posted 11-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldarmy
What the FUCK is Joystiq again?
A pretty decent gaming site.

But I heard about this a few months back in a really long Sony interview that someone posted here.
  Mesoian
Level 13

Old posted 11-04-2005

Yes. Yes it will, especially when it comes to expansionaiblity. Don't expect any DLC with the PS3 without a harddrive. As for having it? Not really, Sony could always keep the information about accounts and stuff on a card, it's not that big. Live information can fit on a memory card without minimal problems.

But I can't help thinking that this means that probably only a hand full of games for PS3 will be online, just like now. You'll have Socom and maybe rachet and clank and the ea stuff, and that's it. That sucks! There are so many other games that would have sales prolonged by online multiplayer.

::Shakes head:: God, so stupid!

Wogle
Level 17

Old posted 11-04-2005

I thought this was posted somewhere here already?

Oh well... I don't know... I mean, I'm certainly not overly happy with the non-unified system (although I don't mind it too much), but I guess really I want a choice... If that makes sense...

Old posted 11-04-2005

Are they getting too cocky with their whole next-gen console thing? Seems like they don't really care about one of the most important system in today's console.

Old Does anyone read? posted 11-04-2005

"Suicide. If reports are true, then Sony is entering the next-generation battle without a central online gaming service. What? Why? Who—"

HUGE keyword here, it says IF. Seriously did anyone on these forums pass grade 3 comprehension? (not joking while asking this question)

Anyways I doubt SONY will do that. The only reason xbox was so successful was online gaming, but SONY already has 2 things xbox doesn't a better hardware (argueable) and exclusive games. Do you honestly think they wouldn't consider this (which made xbox so successful?)

Anyways why do you people really care, almost anything on the internet is biased, unless and until there is "official" news from SONY consider all sources to be biased, I bet the author is basing this on the PS2 or he is pro-xbox and wants gamers to go towards his preference. Think about who wrote articles, think what their preference is before formulating your opinion, and ALWAYS verfy their source before posting, otherwise this is a waste of time reading flaunting posts that are baised on theories.

Godmars
Level 16

Old posted 11-04-2005

I keep hearing that the HDD wont even be for games, that it will be used for a Tivo/DVR function.

Though I have to ask if the former, wont they need a service like Tivo. And if so - why the f**k can't they make an online service as well!
  LifeOne
Level 9

Old posted 11-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacharekar
"Suicide. If reports are true, then Sony is entering the next-generation battle without a central online gaming service. What? Why? Who—"

almost anything on the internet is biased, unless and until there is "official" news from SONY consider all sources to be biased
I'm certain that I've seen an interview from someone within Sony, who pretty much confirmed all of this a while back. Trying to find the source now, but it was posted here some time ago, and probably in the wrong forum section.

Not that I really care what the online situation with PS3 is going to be like.
  Mesoian
Level 13

Old posted 11-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacharekar

HUGE keyword here, it says IF. Seriously did anyone on these forums pass grade 3 comprehension? (not joking while asking this question)

Anyways I doubt SONY will do that. The only reason xbox was so successful was online gaming, but SONY already has 2 things xbox doesn't a better hardware (argueable) and exclusive games. Do you honestly think they wouldn't consider this (which made xbox so successful?)

Anyways why do you people really care, almost anything on the internet is biased, unless and until there is "official" news from SONY consider all sources to be biased, I bet the author is basing this on the PS2 or he is pro-xbox and wants gamers to go towards his preference. Think about who wrote articles, think what their preference is before formulating your opinion, and ALWAYS verfy their source before posting, otherwise this is a waste of time reading flaunting posts that are baised on theories.
The article is taken from OPM. Don't question other people's comprehension before if your own can't grasp the concept. Joystiq is just relaying the story early.

So we'll know for sure on monday. I'm sure by then, we'll have two other sources to either support or denounce this.

AND IT BETTER BE DENOUNCED!!! ::Shakes fist::

aacharekar
Level 0

Old posted 11-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian
The article is taken from OPM. Don't question other people's comprehension before if your own can't grasp the concept. Joystiq is just relaying the story early.

So we'll know for sure on monday. I'm sure by then, we'll have two other sources to either support or denounce this.

AND IT BETTER BE DENOUNCED!!! ::Shakes fist::
lol funny comic, I wasn't questioning others comprehension (well I was, but sarcastically) but yes lets hope this is denouced, but of course logically in my post I did support reasons, but its SONY anything can happen </sarcasm>

Dray
Banned

Old posted 11-04-2005

i certainly hope this is not true. what the hell is Sony thinking? have they gone stupid or something?

Breakfast
Level 13

Old posted 11-04-2005

This sounds like bull to me.

Old posted 11-04-2005

k, now my support for ps3 is dropping. i mean, if these deutchbags are cutting online service, then everything is gonna go to hell. i mean WTF. i am seriously going to miss mgs4* because of this bs.

*my bad lol

Last edited by quagmire : 11-04-2005 at 04:20 PM.
  Godmars
Level 16

Old posted 11-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast
This sounds like bull to me.
You do know this is the corprate enity that couldn't bother to settle a losing lawsuit, has to resort to using a batarang because of it, and just got caught installing viruses into their music CDs you're talking about right?

Riiiight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
k, now my support for ps3 is dropping. i mean, if these deutchbags are cutting online service, then everything is gonna go to hell. i mean WTF. i am seriously going to miss mgs3 because of this bs.
Don't you mean 4?
  Rocky2
Level 10

Old posted 11-04-2005

If these rumors are true, Sony will defintely fail in comparison to Xbox Live
  GameTrailers.com Forums » Sony » PS3 > Sony announces PS3 Online System