South Canterbury New Zealand
1864-1985 Part 1
|JACOB LEVIEN||Great South Road, Rhodestown||1863-1885|
|JACOB LEVIEN & CO||"S.C. Aerated Water Works", Le Crens Tce||1885-1903|
|JAMES YOUNG &CO||Le Cren's Tce||1903-1910|
|J. THOMSON & CO||Le Cren's Tce|
JOHN BROWN BINLEY Was South Canterbury's second aerated water manufacturer. Binley was born in England in 1831 and emigrated to North Canterbury in the 1850,s. J.B. Binley first advertised in the Timaru Herald on 11 June 1864. He left Timaru in 1867 to run the "Point" Hotel, and in 1870 he set up his aerated water business again, this time in Temuka.
FRANK SLEE of the "Sportmans Arms" Hotel [now the Terminus] at Saltwater Creek, was manufacturing aerated waters in 1872 on the hotel premises. This operation ceased in about 1880.
GEORGE OSBORNE was another pioneer soft drink "Bottler"who operated in Heaton Street, Timaru. His operation was established in 1877 and appeared to close in 1881. However, Osborne's bottling store operation continued working until early 1900's, contract bottling mainly for the Timaru Brewery [J.Hole &Co].
CAREW &COMPANY an old established Dunedin aerated Water Company opened a Timaru branch of their operation in 1883. In about 1886 Carew & Co sold it to Thomas Williams, who was involved in the Phoenix Brewery in Browne Street. The Barnard Street factory was sold again only a year later to G. Hills &Company. Williams later moved to Wanganui where he was again involved with brewing.
G.HILLS & COMPANY first advertised in The Timaru Herald in January of 1887 stating:
G.Hills and Co.
Have bought Mr. T. Williams'
Aerated and Cordial Business Etc etc.
Note the address
G. Hills and Co
Aerated Factory Barnard St,
Hills sold his business to George Watts in 1896. Watts having left his original premises in Stafford Street, which he established in 1889. Watts continued operating on that site in Barnard Street until 1900 when he expanded his business into the former Trinity Church Building, a little further south on Barnard Street.
|CAREW &COMPANY||Barnard St, Timaru|
|THOMAS WILLIAMS||Barnard St, Timaru|
|G. HILLS & COMPANY||Barnard St, Timaru|
|GEORGE WATTS||Barnard St, Timaru|
LANE, CAMPBELL & CO another long established Dunedin firm of aerated water manufacturers who operated branches in Timaru. Lane, Campbell, traded in Church Street, [near the present National Bank] from 1883, and in 1888, under a new partnership in the style of LANE & KINGSTON, they moved their operation to 3 Beach Street, Timaru [in between the "Old Mill"and the Railway Line]. This aerated water factory closed in about 1892.
GEORGE WATTS One of the more well remembered soft drink and cordial makers of South Canterbury, was born in England in 1851 and came to New Zealand in the 1880's. Watts established his first aerated plant in Stafford Street in 1889 and in 1896 purchased G. Hills & CO's factory in Barnard Street. These premises were however, inadequate and Watts moved further south on Barnard Street to the First Trinity Church. This arrangement was only to last for two years, for in June of 1902 Watts opened a new purpose built factory near the corner of Barnard Street and Woollcombe St, at 34 Woollcombe Street. The building still stands today [as Scott's furnishings]. George Watts then had times of particular success, so much so he had large financial interests in many hotels in South Canterbury. Watts was also the first aerated water manufacturer in South Canterbury to use the stone "Demi John" or crock for the distribution of his product. George Watts died in Timaru on the 2nd January 1920 while still at the helm of his company. The business was sold that year to Robert Garden.
ROBERT GARDEN continued the business in the style of R. Garden and Company. Garden also continued the "Sparking Glass of Fizz" in a diamond logo on bottles and demi-johns, earlier used by Watts. By 1926 the firm became a Limited Liability Company in the style of CORDIALS LTD, "Timaru Aerated Water Factory". This company was one of the last of the old aerated water & cordial manufacturers in South Canterbury to operate. In fact by 1958, it was the last in Timaru. Cordials LTD, like it's rival, Chittocks, was bought by the newly formed South Canterbury Wine & Spirit Company, in 1959. S.C.W.&S. being a Ballins New Zealand Breweries conglomerate.
|GEORGE WATTS||Stafford St||1889-1896|
|GEORGE WATTS||Barnard St||1896-1902|
|GEORGE WATTS||34 Woollcombe St||1902-1920|
|R. GARDEN & CO.||34 Woollcombe St||1920-1926|
|CORDIALS LTD||34 Woollcombe St||1926-1959|
SHARPE BROTHERS were a large Australasian Aerated Water & Cordial Company who built factories in most sizable provincial towns in New Zealand. Sharpe's first set up in Timaru in 1908 at 47 Stafford Street [opposite the Carlton Hotel]. However, in about 1912 they moved south to 16 Edward St to Timaru's own "Leaning Tower Pizza which is still standing. In 1920 Sharpe Brothers sold to Frank Chittock.
F. CHITTOCK & SONS were, like George Watts, an identity amongst the local "Bottlers". Chittock's products were well marketed and widely available. The only takeover deals Chittock's become involved with was the purchase of the old Temuka firm of D.C. Clark's in 1954. However, only three years later Chittock's were taken over by Quill Morris Cowles.
QUILL MORRIS COWLES were a Christchurch company formed by the Wine & Spirit merchants Quill Morris, and W. Cowles & Co, Aerated Water Manufacturers. Q.M.C."Quality Must Count" soft drinks were well known in South Canterbury by the early 1960's.
In 1964 the parent company in Christchurch and the Edward Street Operation were bought by Ballins and [locally] South Canterbury Wine & Spirit Co. [S.C.W.& S was a Ballins Company]. Between 1964 and 1968 Coca-Cola Bottlers used the Edward Street site as a depot.
|SHARPE BROTHERS||47 Stafford St||1908-1912|
|SHARPE BROTHERS||16 Edward St||1912-1920|
|F. CHITTOCK & SONS||16 Edward St||1920-1957|
|QUILL MORRIS COWLES||16 Edward St||1957-1964|
|COCA COLA BOTTLERS||16 Edward St||1964-1968|
J SHANNON & COMPANY Were a relatively short lived aerated water company for their time. Shannon's plant was situated at 32 High St [now part of the stock feeds plant]. The company was not considered a small operation, having a considerable brick factory and a large range of sodas and cordials available. Shannon's market was concentrated on Timaru.
It would appear J. Shannon established his business in about 1924 and was closed in 1931. Shannon became financially insolvent and his business was sold to cordials L.T.D. for £1,000, Chittocks bought all Shannons bottles & syphons. The factory buildings were later used as a biscuit tin factory for J.R Bruce & Company
DE MALMANCHE AND COMPANY Were a wine & spirit merchant company who had a sideline in aerated waters. They were situated at 49 Stafford Street [Averis & Box Building] and were established in about 1920. Their bottles often bore the name "Malmanche" rather than "De Malmanche.
In 1921 a partnershiip was formed in the style of "De Malmanche Myers & Hedges". This arrangement remained until the firms closure in 1930.
In 1959 New Zealand Breweries Ltd bought Ballin's, part of the takeover deal was that N.Z.B. wouldn't be involved in softdrinks if Ballins closed their brewery. Also involved with the deal was the formation of a new set of companies, namelly the Canterbury Wine & Spirit Company and its South Canterbury counterpart, N.Z.B.would own 40% and Ballins 60%. When the N.Z.B. Timaru Branch Bottling Store in Victoria Street was closed in 1958, Ballins set up a soft drink factory in the building, which was opened in 1959. The soft drinks were under the Ballins label.
By 1975 the factory was considered obsolete, and Ballins was part of another merger, with COCA-COLA AND SCHWEPPES. A new purpose built plant was opened on Browne St in 1976. The old bottling plant was used for S.C. Wine & Spirit's spirit & beer storage.
The building was demolished with the old brewery in February 1996. The new Coca-Cola plant only lasted for ten years, when all of Coca-Cola's operations were run from Christchurch. 1986 was the last year in which South Canterbury had its own aerated water and cordial factory. The "Coke" factory was pulled down with the others on the corner of Browne & Victoria Streets in February 1996.