|Image goes here||
Who Is That Man, Anyway?
Subject: George Washington
Sculptor: Clark Mills
Location: Foggy Bottom
( K Street & 23rd )
Congress commissioned a statue of Lt. Gen. George Washington (1732-1799) in 1789 although the location of Federal City had not yet been established. It was not until 1860 that this statue of Washington was completed by Clark Mills, who cast it in his foundry less than half a mile away. The pose of the statue has been criticized for being unrealistic although it strongly resembles a portrait of Washington at the Battle of Trenton which now hangs at Washington's estate, Mt. Vernon.
This is one of two equestrian statues of Washington in the city; the other being located on the west side of Washington National Cathedral.
Photos and text copyright © 2001 Jean K. Rosales and Michael R. Jobe, All Rights Reserved
Database Integration by SurreyWebDesign.co.uk