EN World
EN World Home Join EN World! Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EN World - Morrus' D&D / d20 News & Reviews Site > RPG Forums > General RPG Discussion
User Name
718 users online now
Password
A wish has been granted! Each week, the EN World GameStore gives away one free product from someones wish list. This week's lucky winner is Frukathka who has won a free copy of SRD 3.5 Revised (Full) Bundle from Creative Mountain Games. Congratulations on two wins in two weeks in a row!

Welcome to EN World, the biggest Dungeons & Dragons and d20 System fan site on the internet. You will need to join EN World for free before you can post messages or use many of the site's features, but you are welcome to read the boards and news without joining. Please feel free to join and participate in the friendly discussions of all things D&D and d20!

Old 03-26-05, 08:33 PM   #1
Tuzenbach

General - Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX

Continued from here:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=121380

Gary,

In 1E, Assassins could use shields while Thieves could not. Given the crossover of Thief abilities to the Assassin class (climb walls, hide in shadows, move silently, etc.), what was your justification for this allowance? Also, I always found this discrepancy a bit odd for all those Assassins wishing to remain "anonymous" or incognito. "Hmmmm. He's got leather armour, any weapon of his choice, and a shield. He's not a Ranger, he's an Assassin!"
Tuzenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 08:40 PM   #2
Felikeries

Good refrence question,sure it's true that skills etc are inter twined
for the powers of being an assasin and a sneaky theif,but the answers the DM has for their direct application may vary by just a touch,so that the spread for the skills are now a varied element,so the rationalizaion for a good game is still there....thus when sheilds are used,any class with sword etc etchnique can make a generic claim but not disflavour the totall style of a class....is what i think
Old 03-27-05, 03:54 AM   #3
Tuzenbach

I shall bump this new Gary thread until Gary sees it. That is all.......
Old 03-27-05, 08:58 PM   #4
Tuzenbach

It's........
Old 03-28-05, 07:59 AM   #5
BOZ
Creature Cataloguer

Send a message via AIM to BOZ Send a message via Yahoo to BOZ

do we need two of these threads at once?
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 12:44 PM   #6
Joseph Elric Smith

did they forget to lock the old one when they started a new one?
Ken
Joseph Elric Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 04:32 PM   #7
Zudrak
Lurker Akimbo

Send a message via AIM to Zudrak Send a message via Yahoo to Zudrak

Bunny Hop

Gary,

It must be my week to spy things about Lake Geneva.

I was checking the Weather Channel last night for this week's forecast. They had a segment on about the Lake Geneva Bunny Hop. Were you in that long line of Easter bunnies?

Zudrak

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
Zudrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:08 PM   #8
Tuzenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Elric Smith
did they forget to lock the old one when they started a new one?
Ken

Ah, you know what? It's my fault. I just assumed (and you know what happens when we do that, eh?) that Part VIII gets continued to Part IX if the former reaches 10 or more pages. I suppose I could have jumped the gun on that one. Just trying to be efficient. Sorry for the confusion everyone.
Old 03-28-05, 10:26 PM   #9
Henry
August Administrator

Reviews: 1

Since the thread's already started, we'll leave this one as current, but technically a thread doesn't have to stop at ten pages any more - it was a courtesy for server response time left over from about three years ago.

Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:32 PM   #10
Tuzenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Since the thread's already started, we'll leave this one as current, but technically a thread doesn't have to stop at ten pages any more - it was a courtesy for server response time left over from about three years ago.

You mean, we don't have to keep making new Gary Q&A threads after 10 or so pages?
Old 03-28-05, 11:01 PM   #11
Henry
August Administrator

You ever notice how long Piratecat's Story hour is?
Old 03-28-05, 11:05 PM   #12
BOZ
Creature Cataloguer

Send a message via AIM to BOZ Send a message via Yahoo to BOZ

nope, but now that the other one was moved to the Archives, we might as well continue here.
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 04:16 PM   #13
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Send a message via AIM to Col_Pladoh Send a message via Yahoo to Col_Pladoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuzenbach
Continued from here:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=121380

Gary,

In 1E, Assassins could use shields while Thieves could not. Given the crossover of Thief abilities to the Assassin class (climb walls, hide in shadows, move silently, etc.), what was your justification for this allowance? Also, I always found this discrepancy a bit odd for all those Assassins wishing to remain "anonymous" or incognito. "Hmmmm. He's got leather armour, any weapon of his choice, and a shield. He's not a Ranger, he's an Assassin!"

Speaking of metagaming....what PC will deduce that an assassin is that because of his equipment? Now on to something meaningful

Of course an assassin could not perform thief activities when equipped with a shield, but otherwise in regards their assassinations the shield is not going to prevent success.

Finally, do keep in mind that most of the strictures regarding classes was to make them separate and unique, each a distinct choice that had advantages and drawbacks for a game.

Cheers,
Gary
Col_Pladoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 04:19 PM   #14
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zudrak
Gary,

It must be my week to spy things about Lake Geneva.

I was checking the Weather Channel last night for this week's forecast. They had a segment on about the Lake Geneva Bunny Hop. Were you in that long line of Easter bunnies?

Zudrak

Heh...

Not bloody likely. I don't mind having fun, but the activity engaged in was pure foolishness in my estimation At least the crowd was in the grand tradition of the tourists that plague this town each year.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 03-29-05, 04:27 PM   #15
MrFilthyIke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
Not bloody likely. I don't mind having fun, but the activity engaged in was pure foolishness in my estimation At least the crowd was in the grand tradition of the tourists that plague this town each year.

I can understand that, now that I'm moving back to Orlando.
-------------------------------
There is no Bad Edition of D&D, only bad Players and DMs.
MrFilthyIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 04:33 PM   #16
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Speaking of tourists...

Frank Mentzer came by yesterday, and we had several hours to sit on the front porch here--the weather being great--and chew the fat. Speaking of chewing, this morinng I am devouring excellent bakery goodies Frank was kind enough to bring here from the Baker's House in Minoqua, or maybe they were from his new Baker's House store in Wausau

Frank mentioned that I needed to get busy and get more modules out, wouold I care to co-create with him? He was not pleased when I told him my creative energy is not great, so new material is going to be scarse. He then asked if there was any of my old adventure material available. As it turned out there is a DMG tournament module I created back in c. 1974, ran around 1976 or 1977 at the DMG con all by myself for groups of 20 gamers per team, 100 total in the tournament.

We are considering Frank fleshing it out for publication as a generic or perhaps a C&C game system adventure. It is mainly an outdor expedition and has eight fukll-page maps.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 03-29-05, 04:41 PM   #17
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

A query on the old thread asked about what TSR modules I played other than my own. the answer is very few indeed. The reason is simple. I had a lot of work to do at the office, then see to running play-tests, or play-test new games, and then get in some gaming for fun. At the same time I had a family of five children to tend to now and again...

Cheers,
Gary
Old 03-29-05, 04:53 PM   #18
Henry
August Administrator

Quote:
As it turned out there is a DMG tournament module I created back in c. 1974, ran around 1976 or 1977 at the DMG con all by myself for groups of 20 gamers per team, 100 total in the tournament.

We are considering Frank fleshing it out for publication as a generic or perhaps a C&C game system adventure. It is mainly an outdor expedition and has eight full-page maps.

Cheers,
Gary

My personal recommendation to Frank is to do it as C&C, for two reasons:

1) C&C is a currently supported game with a, *ahem* HUGE campaign setting that needs more support, and

2) It's easy to port from your OD&D stats, and I have this suspicion the Troll Crew would salivate greatly to work with him.
Old 03-29-05, 05:50 PM   #19
Zudrak
Lurker Akimbo

Send a message via AIM to Zudrak Send a message via Yahoo to Zudrak

Quote:

1) C&C is a currently supported game with a, *ahem* HUGE campaign setting that needs more support, and

2) It's easy to port from your OD&D stats, and I have this suspicion the Troll Crew would salivate greatly to work with him.

Well, I've done it once -- I'll do it again. I second Henry's thoughts.

It's a good thing Frank Mentzer did not visit you on Easter Sunday. You two would have been given misdemeanors for flinging pastries at Bunny Hoppers. LOL
Zudrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 06:15 PM   #20
Gentlegamer

Quote:
Speaking of tourists...

Frank Mentzer came by yesterday, and we had several hours to sit on the front porch here--the weather being great--and chew the fat. Speaking of chewing, this morinng I am devouring excellent bakery goodies Frank was kind enough to bring here from the Baker's House in Minoqua, or maybe they were from his new Baker's House store in Wausau

Frank mentioned that I needed to get busy and get more modules out, wouold I care to co-create with him? He was not pleased when I told him my creative energy is not great, so new material is going to be scarse. He then asked if there was any of my old adventure material available. As it turned out there is a DMG tournament module I created back in c. 1974, ran around 1976 or 1977 at the DMG con all by myself for groups of 20 gamers per team, 100 total in the tournament.

We are considering Frank fleshing it out for publication as a generic or perhaps a C&C game system adventure. It is mainly an outdor expedition and has eight fukll-page maps.

Cheers,
Gary
That would be terrific! Let's get the Gygax/Mentzer axis of adventure design back in business!

C&C would be the perfect system for it as it would take the least work in translation of game statistics and tone.

Quote:
Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
Gentlegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 07:10 PM   #21
dcas

Quote:
Frank mentioned that I needed to get busy and get more modules out

That's funny -- exactly the same thing I was thinking about him!
Old 03-29-05, 07:10 PM   #22
Jyrdan Fairblade

Good afternoon, evening, or morning Mr. Gygax,

First, let me thank you for the decades of enjoyment that D&D has given me, in addition to a love of literature and imagination. I'm very much looking forward to the publication of the Yggsburgh series, as well as switching to C&C from our current D&D 3e campaign, to getting back to a closer vision of the game as it was when we first started gaming in the mid-80s.

Second, the actual question; what is your concept of the paladin's code? That seems to have been a particularly vexing problem in many campaigns, with paladin's slaughtering baby orcs, or alternately raising orcish children as their own, attacking thieves for the slightest infraction, or being guilty of enormous hubris and arrogance (Which goes against the high charisma required for the class).
Jyrdan Fairblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 07:25 PM   #23
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcas
That's funny -- exactly the same thing I was thinking about him!

Well...

Frank can speak for himself, but from my persepctive it seems as if his real life affairs take up the vast majority of his time, so not much writing is likely to come from his pen. He is talking about putting his lone-rinning campaign on paper though

Cheers,
Gary
Old 03-29-05, 07:30 PM   #24
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrdan Fairblade
Good afternoon, evening, or morning Mr. Gygax,

First, let me thank you for the decades of enjoyment that D&D has given me, in addition to a love of literature and imagination. I'm very much looking forward to the publication of the Yggsburgh series, as well as switching to C&C from our current D&D 3e campaign, to getting back to a closer vision of the game as it was when we first started gaming in the mid-80s.

What can I reply other than to say, it was my pleasure?

Quote:
Second, the actual question; what is your concept of the paladin's code? That seems to have been a particularly vexing problem in many campaigns, with paladin's slaughtering baby orcs, or alternately raising orcish children as their own, attacking thieves for the slightest infraction, or being guilty of enormous hubris and arrogance (Which goes against the high charisma required for the class).

that sounds about right. The paladin is modeled on the medieval paladins of Charlemagne, and they were surely a conflicted lot. What is and isn't chivalrous and honorable is up to the DM, but slaughtering baby orcs isn't likely to fall into either class. Slaughterind adult orcs converted to Lawful Good is likely acceptable, as it sends them on to a better reward, prevents them from backsliding to evil ways.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 03-29-05, 07:48 PM   #25
Gentlegamer

I'm sure this question has been addressed in the many hundreds of posts of this ongoing Q&A:

Will the key for CASTLE ZAGYG include where to place DUNGEONLAND, LAND BEYOND THE MAGIC MIRROR, and ISLE OF THE APE?
Gentlegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:04 PM   #26
NewJeffCT

Quote:
What can I reply other than to say, it was my pleasure?

that sounds about right. The paladin is modeled on the medieval paladins of Charlemagne, and they were surely a conflicted lot. What is and isn't chivalrous and honorable is up to the DM, but slaughtering baby orcs isn't likely to fall into either class. Slaughterind adult orcs converted to Lawful Good is likely acceptable, as it sends them on to a better reward, prevents them from backsliding to evil ways.

Cheers,
Gary

First - thanks to you and everybody else involved with D&D for the last 30 years for giving me thousands of hours of entertainment since the late 70s.

To take the paladin thing a bit further, we had a lengthy thread on here a few months back about whether paladins should be chaste/celibate, as in they do not engage in any sexual activity at all. I had started the thread because I was wondering why so many DMs seem to require paladins to be basically sexless when the various Player's Handbooks dating back to 1st Edition do not technically require it.

When you DM somebody playing a paladin, is this an unwritten part of your paladin code?

I will say that sex/love is not something that comes up every session in our games, but I was thinking about it a while back when a paladin PC of mine basically stood guard while the rest of the group was visiting our game's equivalent of the Castle Anthrax... And, I am also not saying that the paladin would be wildly promiscuous like a medieval era Wilt Chamberlin, but I could see a paladin in a committed monogamous relationship with a follower of the same deity.
Old 03-29-05, 08:37 PM   #27
MrFilthyIke

Quote:
Speaking of tourists...

Frank Mentzer came by yesterday,...Speaking of chewing, this morinng I am devouring excellent bakery goodies Frank was kind enough to bring here from the Baker's House in Minoqua, or maybe they were from his new Baker's House store in Wausau

Glad my tourist comment brought out that tidbit. I owe my getting into D&D more to Mr Mentzer's famous red box than any other book. Had that not been available to me, I mighta given up on trying to figure out D&D on my own.

Hope we see many more Gygax and Mentzer titled goodies, it keeps the frothing horde going.

Last edited by MrFilthyIke : 03-29-05 at 08:41 PM.
MrFilthyIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:44 PM   #28
Akrasia
Devout Epicurean

Reviews: 2

Quote:

Good grief, I could not agree more!
Akrasia: literally, "bad mixture", the Greek term for the character flaw of incontinence or weakness of the will, the condition in which an agent is unable to perform actions that are known to be right.

Insightful commentary on politics, culture, philosophy, and other things at dailyakrasia!

My C&C PbP campaign:Swords & Sorcery in Emeria!
Akrasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:46 PM   #29
Akrasia
Devout Epicurean

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Well...

Frank can speak for himself, but from my persepctive it seems as if his real life affairs take up the vast majority of his time, so not much writing is likely to come from his pen. He is talking about putting his lone-rinning campaign on paper though

Cheers,
Gary

I would love to see a published version of Frank Mentzer's campaign!
Akrasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:22 PM   #30
dcas

Quote:
Well...

Frank can speak for himself, but from my persepctive it seems as if his real life affairs take up the vast majority of his time, so not much writing is likely to come from his pen.

But of course. I was just hoping to see "The Dwarven Quest for the Rod of Seven Parts" in print some day.
dcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 01:50 AM   #31
ScottyG

Send a message via AIM to ScottyG

Another adventure from the author/editor team responsible for The Keep on the Borderlands, and The Temple of Elemental Evil is good news indeed. If you go the C&C route, perhaps you could work it into the Yggsburg wilderness area.
Have you resumed serious development of the upper ruins and dungeon levels? You know your little olde guard kobolds are just dying to be introduced to the gaming public.
Scott

Last edited by ScottyG : 03-30-05 at 01:56 AM.
ScottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 07:08 AM   #32
Gray Mouser

Quote:
Speaking of tourists...

Cheers,
Gary

This sounds great, Colonel. I'm looking forward to seeing a collaboration in the (near) future between you gentlemen. BTW, I'd cast my vote for a C&C venture as it seems quite easy to convert to 1e AD&D

Gray Mouser

PS
20 gamers a team!?!? Hope they weren't running multiple PC's!
Gray Mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 07:15 AM   #33
Gray Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG
If you go the C&C route, perhaps you could work it into the Yggsburg wilderness area.

Now this sounds like a good idea!

Gray Mouser

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.
Old 03-30-05, 07:41 AM   #34
Frank Mentzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG
from the author/editor team responsible for The Keep on the Borderlands...

Neigh I say (horse from a day of gaming) and nay again. This earns the obvious placement in the orb of a swine, but I am moved (by my prediliction to garrulous diversions no doubt) to clarify the matter.

I was spurned as a designer but nonetheless offered a staff position as a mere editor at TSR. I felt that the reasoning was less due to my minimal editing credits than to the feel for the essence of the game that I displayed during a long-distance telephone interview (with Mssrs. Schick and Johnson) in late 1979.

'twas thus 1980, and I was newly arrived in the legendary Lake Geneva. Tho not unwise in the ways of polite society, my position was still tenuous indeed in the service of the eminent publisher. I was not schooled in the behind-the-scenes behavior of the Great Ones, and my naivete hung o'er my desk in great invisible clouds seen only by those who had been flailed into paranoia and caution by the iron whim of certain local authors.

The introductory adventure "In Search of the Unknown" was contained within each and every D&D set, but this august work was slated for replacement by an a broader one containing a base of operations, with adventure potential oozing from every nearby cave. This Gygaxian endeavor, the aforementioned "Keep on the Borderlands", did arrive on my 'humble editor's desk by mere chance -- perhaps no other dared to risk the thunderous voice and furrowed brow of the company's near-mythic President, should errors be made -- and I was strictly admonished to correct blatant spelling errors only, with no development or rewriting allowed. And that I did, adequately I trust, but in the course of this simple task one glaring omission became obvious; the Keep contained multiple clerics but no chapel for their work. After considering the matter, especially the hectic schedule being kept by the Boss during this turbulent era, I took it upon myself to write up a suggested Chapel (if one must point out problems a solution should be included, if only as a shield usable in self-defense) and sent it over via interoffice mail.

When my actions were revealed to my comrades, they started making preparations for a farewell party, sure that I would be fricasseed by my temerity. It startled everyone that Gary's prompt response was so placid -- "Yup, I left that out, this is fine, run it" -- and thereafter I was treated with an extra milligram (no more) of respect, just for surviving the affair.

Although I later veered to the true border of dismissal when I failed to notice a major error in the Dungeon! boardgame reprint, I weathered that too, and Gary and I became acquaintances and eventually friends. I even work still at the same desk as when I edited KotB, a clunky old oaken thing upon which Gary first labored to type the manuscript for the first Dungeons & Dragons game.

But don't credit me for any part of the creation of "Keep on the Borderlands" -- at least, nothing but one small Chapel tucked away amidst the vast array of sites and challenges therein, and a routine bit of spellchecking that is nowadays easily performed by the least of computer chips.

FM
Frank Mentzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 08:26 AM   #35
gideon_thorne

True genius need not pretend to humility. And that goes for the pair of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mentzer

I was spurned as a designer but nonetheless offered a staff position as a mere editor at TSR. I felt that the reasoning was less due to my minimal editing credits than to the feel for the essence of the game that I displayed during a long-distance telephone interview (with Mssrs. Schick and Johnson) in late 1979.

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com
gideon_thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 08:36 AM   #36
weasel fierce

Frank, if you don't mind me asking (you answered a question or two for me, a while ago on Dragonsfoot), the literary inspiration that Gary had is rather well known (what with the list in the DMG and all), but what do you consider your main sources of inspiration, litterature wise ?

To you, what /is/ D&D, withoutm of course, being D&D

Also, a practicality. In your basic D&D set, clerics are mentioned to be unable to cast reversed spells untill 4th level. Was this left simply to save space in the basic book ?
It does raise a question, as regards neutral clerics, as they must choose either normal, or revised. Is this choice done at 4th level, or from the start, or what did you imagine ? (if you remember, that is)

Cheers!

Caverns&Cavaliers
weasel fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 05:33 PM   #37
Frank Mentzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel fierce
Frank, if you don't mind me asking (you answered a question or two for me, a while ago on Dragonsfoot), the literary inspiration...
Also, a practicality....

I must demur, this being Gary's dais (albeit an oxymoronic living archive) and, anticipating the followup question, must also reluctantly concur with his earlier comment; I am quite busy these days on matters not involving Important Things (i.e. gaming), and cannot support a board of my own hereabouts. I do believe my bakery is, in its little way, just as revolutionary in concept as was D&D in its realm, but again this is not the place (the kernel's corn notwithstanding).

You are thus welcome to goad me over on Dragonsfoot, and I'll respond as soon as possible.

F
Frank Mentzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 08:48 PM   #38
Gray Mouser

Hey Colonel, I was just pondering the possible collaboration between you and Frank Mentzer and was wondering if there was a chance to possibly do the adventure as a double stated C&C/LA module (I know you've done LA/d20 stuff in the past).

just a thought.

Gray Mouser
Old 03-30-05, 08:51 PM   #39
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
I'm sure this question has been addressed in the many hundreds of posts of this ongoing Q&A:

Will the key for CASTLE ZAGYG include where to place DUNGEONLAND, LAND BEYOND THE MAGIC MIRROR, and ISLE OF THE APE?

Not on your life!

Those are the copyrighted property of Wizards of the Coast. If a GM wishes to have a transporter located somewhere in the dungeon levels of Castle Zagyg that takes PCs to such adventure modules, that will be up to him.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 03-30-05, 08:55 PM   #40
Col_Pladoh
Father of the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT
First - thanks to you and everybody else involved with D&D for the last 30 years for giving me thousands of hours of entertainment since the late 70s.

Welcome, of course.

Quote:
To take the paladin thing a bit further, we had a lengthy thread on here a few months back about whether paladins should be chaste/celibate, as in they do not engage in any sexual activity at all. I had started the thread because I was wondering why so many DMs seem to require paladins to be basically sexless when the various Player's Handbooks dating back to 1st Edition do not technically require it.

When you DM somebody playing a paladin, is this an unwritten part of your paladin code?

I will say that sex/love is not something that comes up every session in our games, but I was thinking about it a while back when a paladin PC of mine basically stood guard while the rest of the group was visiting our game's equivalent of the Castle Anthrax... And, I am also not saying that the paladin would be wildly promiscuous like a medieval era Wilt Chamberlin, but I could see a paladin in a committed monogamous relationship with a follower of the same deity.

Where on earth such a notion came from is quite beyond me...and beyond the pale. Paladins have no requirement of celibacy, and those of the troubador bent can be unchaste as well. How they fare with that is a matter of what deity they honor, of course.

Cheers,
Gary