Location: Shanghai, China
Year completed: 1998
Height: to structural top: 421 m / 1380 ft
to highest occupied floor: 366 m / 1200 ft
Cladding: stainless steel / glass / aluminum / granite
to top of roof: 370 m / 1213 ft
to tip of spire / antenna: 421 m / 1380 ft
Area: 266,000 square meters
Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Developer: China Shanghai Foreign Trade Center
Structural Engineer: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Services Engineer: Skidmore Owings & Merrill
- The Jin Mao Building will be completed and dedicated
on 8/28/98--a lucky date for the Chinese.
- Other references to the number 8 include the number
of stories-- 88 -- which corresponded to the age of
Deng Xiaoping, China's lengendary leader, at the time
of the design competition.
- Each segment of the Tower is an eighth smaller than
the 16-story base.
- The only vertical elements of the structural system
are an octagonal- shaped reinforced megaconcrete shear-wall
core, eight exterior composite columns, and eight exterior
- Because of the poor upper-strata soil conditions,
the foundation for the tower consists of deep high-capacity
piles capped with a reinforced concrete mat.
- Foundations consist of 80-m-deep driven high capacity
steel piles. The 5-acre site is surrounded by a 40-m-deep
slurry wall which acted as an excavation retention system
- Jin Mao had to be designed to withstand "rational"
winds for the Shanghai climate, which can also include
125 mph winds during a typhoon event.
- In accordance with the Chinese code-defined response
spectrum, the building was designed for seismic loads
using ground accelerations that compare to a UBC Code
- Hotel and office spaces are the main uses for Jin
Mao. The base of the tower has a landscaped courtyard
with reflecting pool and area seating.
- The tower design recalls the ancient pagodas of China,
gently stepping back to create a rhythmic pattern as
it rises. In the evening, the tower is illuminated to
create a beacon on the Shanghai skyline.
- At 421 m, it is the tallest building in China.
For more information contact:
Geri Kery, Operations
Manager, by email
or phone 1-610/758-3521