Classroom Tour of the Solar System
Teachers can look here for an overview of the project.
The class will take a tour of the solar system with stops at planets, the Sun, and major moons. To prepare for the tour each group will gather information about a celestial object. The information will be compiled into a class spreadsheet.
General Directions for Students
Use your imagination to come up with the best presentation possible.
Using Internet resources, texts, periodicals, electronic encyclopedias and library resources, collect information about your assigned planet or Sun. A data recording sheet is provided for collecting the information. If you are researching the Sun use this data recording sheet.
- Calculate your age and weight on another planet using this table as your guide.
- In addition to the data collected for the class spreadsheet, each group will create a product to be shared with the class about their planet, moon or Sun. Here is a list of possible topics for research to include in your final product or presentation.
- The presentation will include all members of the group and will be assessed by both teachers and peers. The product can be any of the following:
- Hypercard stack
- word processed research report
- Hyperstudio presentation
- Powerpoint presentation
- trifold travel brochure
- planetary newspaper or magazine
Links to Information for Your Research
Planet image courtesy of Calvin Hamilton. The planets are sized approximately to scale. Here is the larger image (116K) .
Written by: Janice Johnson-Palmer and
Sun Nov 03 15:08:40 1996