Business Directory Motors Today Website Property Today Website Jobs Today Website
Back to home page

Auchinloch


Until the late nineteenth century Auchinloch was a quiet little country village, fully in tune with the agricultural way of life. Its appearance had not changed much for centuries and thatched cottages could still be seen. There were no pavements and only one short side street. To the north was a notable early example of agricultural improvement. The Loch of Auchinloch had been drained during the early years of the eighteenth century to provide extra agricultural land. A drainage tunnel or chine' carried the water of the loch into the Park Burn at High Gallowhill and thence to the Kelvin just west of Kirkjntilloch. The land gained in this way remained available for agricultural purposes for almost two centuries, but by the end of the nineteenth century the drainage tunnel was blocked and the loch had reappeared on the map. Nowadays the Loch of Auchinloch is usually described as tenzie Loch' or 'Gadloch'. It is regarded as an important amenity on the fringes of Lenzie.

Industrialisation came to Auchinloch in the early 1880s, when the
nearby Lumloch Colliery was ope~ed up by the Carron Company. In
succeeding years various problems were experienced at the pit and it
closed down during the very early 19008. During the 1920s, however, the derelict workings were purchased by James Nimmo da Co. and reopened as Wester Auchengeich Colliery'. Soon afterwards Nimmo da Co. built 153 cottage-tfpe houses for the Wester Auchengeich miners at Western Auchinloch (Pirst-Fourth Avenues) - a significant milestone in Auchinloch history. Electric power for Western Auchengeich Colliery was supplied from a plant at neighbouring Auchengeich Colliery (Chryston), where there were problems following a major disaster in 1959. Wester Auchengeich finally closed in 1968.
Home Back to content Sitemap Contact Us

Advertisements

advertise

ads direct

photos today

cv match

reader holiday offers

RSS Feed