Search the site
The swept-wing F-84F evolved from the straight-wing F-84. The prototype first flew on June 3, 1950 and deliveries began in 1954, primarily to the tactical Air Command as a ground support fighter bomber.
Republic built 2,112 "-F"s while General Motors fabricated an additional 599. Of these, 1,301 were delivered to NATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance version, the RF-84F, totaled 718 aircraft, including 386 for allied countries. The RF-84F featured engine air intakes at the wing roots plus cameras in the nose.
F-84Fs gradually were replaced by supersonic F-100s in the late 1950s and were turned over to Air National Guard units. However, some F-84Fs were called back to temporary USAF service in the early 1960s due to the Berlin Crisis.
The aircraft on display was flown to the Museum in 1970 following its assignment to the Ohio ANG. During its career, it served in England, Greece, Alaska and the continental U.S. It was one of the 200 fighters which participated in the mass deployment of aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe in November 1961 in response to the Berlin situation.
Span: 33 ft. 7 in.
Maximum speed: 685 mph.