Pre-Negro Leagues Candidate Profile:
William "W" Bell Sr.
Thirteenth of 39 Profiles
Born: August 31, 1897, in Galveston, Tex.
Died: March 16, 1969, in El Campo, Tex.
Batted: Right Threw:
5'9" Weight: 180 lbs.
1923-1937, first eight with Kansas City Monarchs, then New York
Harlem Stars, Detroit Wolves, Homestead Grays, Pittsburgh Crawfords,
Newark Dodgers, and Newark Eagles.
- Seven straight years (1924-30) with more than 10 wins (equivalent
to 20 wins).
- Nine total years with over 10 wins per season.
- Wins total equivalent to 18 per season.
- Highest lifetime winning percentage in Negro leagues history .721
- Had a lifetime record of 124 wins and 48 losses.
- Completed 74% of games started.
- Allowed less than one hit per inning pitched, lifetime.
- Managed Newark Eagles in 1936 and 1948.
Authored by Dick Clark | Negro
Leagues and Pre-Negro Leagues Election page
E-mail this to a friend
© National Baseball Hall of Fame and
25 Main Street Cooperstown, New York 13326 1-888-HALL-OF-FAME