About Us Last Updated: Feb 10th, 2006 - 16:49:08


About Us
About Us

History of the Newspaper

The City of Thunder Bay comprises the former twin cities of Port Arthur and Fort William. Port Arthur (1870-1969), originally known as Prince Arthur’s Landing, and Fort William (1770-1969) which included the Fort area and the west Town Plot area Westfort incorporated as cities in 1907. At the hand of the Provincial Government of the day, amalgamation was forced on the two cities and so it was, The City of Thunder Bay was born January 1, 1970.Following is the history of the newspapers of Fort William and Port Arthur that have become the newspaper of today:

CITY OF FORT WILLIAM

Daily Times-Journal The name of our newspaper preserves a part of the local history going back to 1880 with the Fort William Herald and Thunder Bay Mining and Lumbering Journal. In 1886, the name was changed for a short while to The Fort William Echo, changing again a year later to The Fort William Journal and Thunder Bay Mining News. It subsequently joined in 1899 with the Fort William Times to become The Daily Times-Journal, residing at 115 N. May Street. Of note, The Daily Times-Journal in 1902 became the second newspaper in Canada to adopt the weekly payment plan for newsboy carriers. Under this new system the carrier boy functioned as “little merchants” which implies that they were not newspaper employees but in fact were junior self-employed businessmen. (The Vancouver Province was the inaugurator of this new system). The Daily Times-Journal was sold by majority owner Mrs. Charlotte Dow Murphy, widow of Frank Murphy, to Thomson Newspapers in September 1962.

CITY OF PORT ARTHUR

News-Chronicle The Chronicle was founded in 1899 probably shortly after the last issue of the Weekly Herald in 1899. The Chronicle ran as a daily for nine months and thereafter for eighteen months as a semi-weekly. It began as a 5 col. newspaper in small format but changed to a large format 6 col. publication sometime before July 1902. Sometime between 1906 and November 1908 it changed to 7 cols. The newspapers were called in succession The Chronicle and Evening Chronicle prior to the merger in 1916. Its first location was in the office previously occupied by The Weekly Herald on the north side of Arthur Street (currently Red River Road) between what used to be McNulty’s Limited and Zellers Limited. Later, The Chronicle put up its own building at the corner of St. Paul and Cooke Street. After it’s merger with the Daily News in 1916, it was relocated in the Daily News building on Lorne Street. The facts of ownership of The Chronicle are very interesting. Operated and presumably owned by Frank B. Allen since early 1899 The Chronicle was purchased either in whole or in part somewhere around the year 1914 by John R. Smith, elsewhere described in detail as proprietor of the Terminal Publishing Company in Fort. Although the immediate details are missing it is understood that the newspaper then fell into the hands of the Bank of Commerce in 1915. In any event, the Evening Chronicle was purchased from the bank by E.B. MacKay, by the aforementioned Frank B. Allen and by Duncan Robert Harrison, and was immediately merged with the Daily News to become the Daily News-Chronicle with the first issue 18 February 1916. On November 11, 1916 the name changed from the Daily News Chronicle to The News-Chronicle. The newspaper continued to function in the same location on Lorne Street for 39 years, until 1955 – 4 years after its purchase in 1951 by Thomson Newspapers Ltd. when it moved into the former Customs Building built in 1914 by the Federal Government located on the corners of Water & Arthur Streets (currently Red River Road).

CITY OF THUNDER BAY

The Chronicle-Journal and The Times-News In July 1972, two years after the cities amalgamated, The News-Chronicle merged with The Daily Times-Journal, and took parts of the names of their predecessors to become the morning Chronicle-Journal and evening Times-News newspapers. Both newspapers ran out of the old News-Chronicle building. The move to this present building on 75 S. Cumberland Street took place in February 1977. The first editions were on February 14th, 1977, the day of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. The Chronicle-Journal and The Times-News combined, on Saturday’s only, for a premium Saturday edition with a.m. delivery in October 1989. This was the same month that a Sunday newspaper was first launched, along with the opening of our Marathon and Dryden bureaus.

The Chronicle-Journal as it is today

On April 17, 1996 the morning Chronicle-Journal was merged with the evening Times-News, launching the new 8 a.m. city delivered - Newspaper of the Northwest, keeping the morning newspaper name The Chronicle-Journal. On this date, the newspaper also changed to 25” web with a complete redesign of pages and masthead. On February 2, 2001, Horizon Operations (Canada) Ltd. purchased The Chronicle-Journal from Thomson Newspapers. This followed the announcement on February 15, 2000 that Thomson Corporate was selling most of its newspaper operations in order to intensify its emphasis on its global e-information and solutions business. Horizon, 100% Canadian owned, is a leading publisher of daily and community newspapers in Canada and the United States.


Oct 11, 2005, 21:13