Parkland County became
officially incorporated on Jan. 1, 1969. The original
name, County of Parkland, was chosen from 73 names submitted.
Prior to that time, this area was known as MD of Stony Plain
Number 520. This municipal district was formed in 1942
when Alberta Municipal Affairs merged the MD of Spruce Grove,
the MD of Inga, and MD of Tomahawk into the MD of Stony Plain.
There have been some
significant changes to the county’s boundaries and
jurisdiction during the 1980s and the 1990s. A major
boundary change occurred in 1982 when the City of Edmonton annexed
land directly west of the City. On July 1, 1988 the new
Municipal District of Brazeau was incorporated. This
meant that the county lost 37 percent of its total land area,
around 3,000 residents, 19% of its assessment.
On Jan. 1, 1995 Parkland
School Division was formed as a result of the provincial
government restructuring the education system. At
that point the County of Parkland #31 changed its name to
On January 1, 2001 the
Village of Entwistle voted to dissolve and become part of
Parkland County, adding approximately 525 people.