1996 - Major refurbishment and modernization
12 cars x 29 trains, ALSTOM cars
35 Km - 720,000 passengers/day
Complete Train Modernization:
- design and installation of new interior
- tap-changer replaced with thyristor propulsion
- linear fans improving ventilation
- design and install new, modern front-ends
- decommission redundant cabs
- design and install 4 extra doorways to each car
Managed and engineered by ALSTOM UK, with work performed at KCRC's workshops.
Initially, materials from the UK - subsequently, Far East supplies, once delivery and quality is assured.
Each 12 car train in 40 days. After the first few trains, the average time 35 days - best performance 32.
Improved passenger environment
Faster loading and unloading
Improved safety, reliability
Reduction in operation costs
From: July 1996 to December 2000
6 months to run the first train in test (12 cars)
First train in service 16 months after signing the contract