Tappantown Historical Society

The Rockland Center for the Arts

Lamont Geological Observatory and World Climate Research Center

West Point

IBM Advanced Business Institute in Palisades

Storm King Art Center

Tappantown Historical Society

The Tappantown Historical Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1965 and permanently chartered by the New York State Board of Regents to preserve, protect and enhance buildings and sites in Tappan's 85 acre historic area, and to perpetuate Tappan's heritage of architecture and history.

As a member you share in our educational programs, plant sale, Colonial Day, guided walking tours and historical data file. You will receive our quarterly Newsletter and annual journal "The Drummer Boy." You will be joining over 500 other members in making this society one of the most active groups engaged in preservation.

Our activities include: supporting Local Law #41965, which established the Tappan Historic Area and legislates matters of concern therein, the publication of a full length book on Tappan's history, and offering a consulting service relating to exterior appearances of structures and grounds to the residents of Tappan's Historic Area.

A Building Fund has been established for the purchase and maintenance of a museum. Life membership dues and any donation, large or small, will go into the Fund for this specific use only. Dues and contributions are deductible, as approved by the IRS, for Federal Income Tax purposes to the extent provided by law.

Mabie-Beech House: Built in 1835 by Cornelius Mabie. Contains wing of earlier house which stood 200' to the East.

Deming House: Built in 1790. Macy Deming manufactured first baby food, Cereo, here.

Hafer Haven: First Rockland County school house; used as school until 1860. Built of stone and brick, in 1711, on church land.

The Academy: Built in 1843 as private school by Peter Isaac Cole on land leased fom church. Son, David Cole, was teacher. Now private dwelling.

Reformed Church of Tappan: Organized 1694. Present church, built 1835 fourth on site. Architecture Federal and Greek Revival. Second church was scene of Andre Trial. Also used as prison/hospital after Baylor Massacre in 1778.

Village Green: Site of first Orange County courthouse and jail. Built 1691, burned 1774. Site of Liberty Pole, stocks, whipping post, and stray cattle pound.

Manse: Built 1729, oldest parsonage in continuous use in U.S. Architecture is Hudson Valley Dutch Colonial. Reverend Samual Verbryk, friend of Washington, who helped found Rutgers Universaity, resided here.

Bartow-Samett Town House: Built 1835 by Morris Bartow. Probable site of Yost Mabie's house, where Orangetown Resolutions were signed in 1774.

Mabie House - '76 House: Built by Casparus Mabie in 1775. John Andre imprisoned here in Sept. 1780. First used as tavern in 1800 by Phillip DuBuy.

Tappan Library: Earliest section built 1750, four additions. Restored frame country house typical of Hudson Valley. Authentic colonial garden.

Tar Barrel Elm Site: Tall Elm was part of revolutionary War alarm system. Flaming tar barrel hoisted on top as signal. Tree was removed in 1953.

DeClark-DeWint House: Built in 1700, oldest house in Rockland county. Used by Washington on four occasions. Period furnishings. Tagged trees. Open 10-4 daily.

Largest Weeping Willow in U.S.: Age, about 175 years; height, 82 feet, circumference, 36 feet.

Andre Monument: Site of hanging of Major John Andre on October 2, 1780.

Copyright 1998 - Mason Samett Associates, INC.