Mansfield State Historic Site- On April 8, 1864, the Red River campaign climaxed here as Confederates under the leadership of General Richard Taylor met and defeated the Union troops. Banks retreated to Pleasant Hill and fought another engagement there. He then retreated further south. The park has a museum with relics, exhibits and a map of the battle. (318/872-1474)
Battle of Pleasant Hill- The day after the Union troops were pushed back from Mansfield, a battle was fought at Pleasant Hill. This battle pushed the Union troops back toward Alexandria. The community of Pleasant Hill is creating a Battle of Pleasant hill interpretive trail by erecting marble markers with narratives and descriptions of the battle . Soon, 18 markers will follow the trail from Pleasant Hill to Mansfield. (318/872-1474)
Rebel State Historic Site- According to local legend, a young Rebel soldier became separated form his unit during a skirmish at Crump's Corner, near present day Marthaville. Alone in the woods and confused, the soldier was searching for other Confederates when he stopped at a spring for a drink of water and was killed by three Union Cavalrymen. A local family named Barnhill found the body and buried him near the road where he had died. For nearly 100 years the Barnhill family cared for the grave and began holding annual memorial services to honor the unknown Confederate soldier. Rebel State Historic Site has been established at this soldier's final resting place. (318/472-6255)
Fort Humbug Memorial Park- One of several forts built when rumors spread that General Banks was heading towards Shreveport. The fort's name derives from the charred logs placed along the river to appear as cannons thus "humbugging" enemy scouts into believing the fort was well armed. Old log ramparts and earthen breastworks have been replaced. Entrance from Fant or Youree Streets. (318/222-9391)
Claiborne Parish Courthouse- A rallying and departing point for southern troops. (318/258-5863)
Battle of Yellow Bayou Park- The last engagement of the Red River Campaign.
Fort Beauregard- This Confederate fort guarded the Ouachita River. Lt. Col. Arthur Fremantle of the Coldstreams Guard, toured the Confederacy in 1863 and found the fort more formidable in appearance than expected. In May of 1863, it was heavily shelled by Union gunboats and evacuated by the Confederates in September.
DELTA & LAKE PROVIDENCE
Grant's Canal- A historical marker is at the site of the last attempt by Union troops to pass safely by the Vicksburg batteries. Grant ordered his men to dig a canal in hopes of changing the course of the Mississippi River. The attempt failed, but parts of the canal remail in Lake Providence and Delta, Louisiana.
Though the Battle of Vicksburg was fought in Mississippi, Louisiana played a large part in the Vicksburg Campaign. Military engagements follow the Mississippi River all of the way to Port Hudson and New Orleans.
Markers follow General Grant's March through Louisiana along the Mississippi River on US 80 and 65. Some of the more important skirmish and battle sites in the upper Mississippi River area are: Milliken's Bend, Young's Point, Hard Times Landing, Trinidad Plantation, Lone Plantation, Davis Island, Choctaw Bayou, Richmond and New Carthage.
Winter Quarters State Historic Site- An impressive house in Tensas Parish which was the only plantation home spared by Union troops. (318/467-9750)
Niblett's Bluff- Located on the direct route between New Orleans and Texas, close to the Sabine River, Niblett's Bluff was the scene of an 1863 Confederate encampment under Captain George O'Bryant. The breastworks visible today were constructed with slave labor using wooden shovels. Military Road, built by Taylor's army after the Federal troops blockaded the Mississippi River, connects Niblett's Bluff to Alexandria.
MONKEY ISLAND (near the town of Cameron)
Battle of Calcasieu Pass- This was the only Civil War battle fought in Southwest Louisiana. It took place at the mouth of the Calcasieu River near what is now called Monkey Island. The Battle of Calcasieu Pass was the only battle in Louisiana where two Union gunboats were captured intact and converted to blockade runners for the Confederacy.
An important center for blockade runners, detachments of the 4th Louisiana Infantry were stationed in Berwick in the fall of 1861.
Proximity to the major shipping lanes of the Mississippi River and Bayou Lafourche made Donaldsonville a strategic location. The wharfs became a site for guerrilla warfare on Union ships effective enough to outrage Admiral D. G. Farragut.
Fort Butler- This star-shaped dirt fort at the mouth of Bayou Lafourche opposite Donaldsonville, was the site of a battle under the Confederate leadership of General Thomas Green.
Battle of Stirlings Plantation- The largest Civil War engagement in Pointe Coupée Parish took place in early September 1863 when Union troops moved from Morganza along Bayou Fordoche.
Fortress Morganza- After his failed Red River Campaign, General Banks camped his Union army at Morganza. A large fort was constructed on the site which served the Union army until the end of the war.
Port Hudson State Historic Site- Port Hudson surrendered on July 9, 1863, serving the last link between the eastern part of the Confederacy and the Trans-Mississippi. From May 23 to July 9, 1863, 6,800 confederate soldiers held off a Union force of 30,000 during the longest siege in U.S. military history. Interpretive programs illustrate the story. The area includes part of the battlefield, viewing towers, trenches, guns and a cemetery for more than 3,000 Union soldiers, most of whom are unknown. The Battle of Port Hudson was one of the first battles in which freed black soldiers engaged in combat on the side of the Union. (504/654-3775)
Fort Pike State Historic Site- East of New Orleans. In 1861, the silence of Fort Pike was broken. Before the actual start of the Civil War, the Louisiana militia captured the fort and held it until the Union forces took New Orleans in 1862. Federal forces then reoccupied the fort and used it as a base for raids along the Gulf coast and Lake Pontchartrain areas and as a protective outpost for New Orleans. In spite of all this activity, not one cannonball was ever fired in battle from Fort Pike. (504/662-5703)
Camp Moore- this is the only remaining Confederate training ground. Used during the early part of the war, it is named for Governor Thomas O. Moore. About 400 Confederates are buried in the camp cemetery. Today, it is a commemorative site, complete with museum, relics and a gift shop. (504/229-2438)
Camp Parapet- Extending in an irregular line for two miles, the powder magazine was part of the Confederate defenses for the city of New Orleans. Union forces completed the earthworks in 1862.
Fort Jackson- Until Farragut passed them in 1862, this fort guarded the mouth of the Mississippi River for the Confederacy. Fort Jackson is intact and easily accessible.