Fond du Lac
Lower Sioux--'Can 'sayapi
In the 1883 census, six families were reported at Redwood. Good Thunder came from Flandreau, South Dakota and in 1884 purchased 80 acres at the Lower Sioux community. Charles Lawrence bought the adjacent 80 acres. Within a few years a little colony joining them including a few other Dakotas who had been able to survive in Minnesota, protected by Alexander Fairbault. A 1936 census report 20 Mdewakanton families, 18 families from Flandreau, South Dakota, and one Sisseton, South Dakota, family.
The land is primarily rich agricultural land in the river flood plain and the wooded bluffs behind. The community was built on the hillside and uplands. It centers around the tribal offices, a new community center, Tipi Maka Duta (the Lower Sioux Trading Post), and St. Cornelia Episcopal Church built in 1889 and now on the National Register of Historic sites. St. Cornelia's is built on land donated by Good Thunder. It has been the recent site of reburials of Kaota people whose remains had been held by museums and universities. The Minnesota Historical society has an interpretive center in the area, explaining the 1862 battles.
The Lower Sioux Community Council is elected and operates under an IRA constitution. The State exercises criminal and some civil jurisdiction on the reservation. The tribal court was organized in 1993. It deals with civil cases including contract law and workers' compensation cases as well as tribal governance matters. Social programs and community health services are administered by the Tribe, funded by various governmental programs and the Tribe. Tribally funded health insurance policies cover the medical costs for resident members as well as tribal and casino employees. Redwood Falls and Wilmar hospitals are used.
Redwood Falls is the public school for the community Indian children. In response to parental concern about their children's education, an Indian-focused charter school was formed at Morton. The Tribe provides financial help to any member wishing to get further education beyond high school.
Until the mid-1980's the Tribe had very limited funds and there were hardly any opportunities for employment on the reservation. Government programs, operated by the Tribe, were the major source of employment. Since 1972 the Tribe has been manufacturing hand thrown, hand painted, traditional Dakota pottery. This still continues and is sold at Tipi Maka Duta, the Lower Sioux Trading Post along with other gift items. The Tribe generates additional revenue from leasing a gravel pit.
A major bingo facility, Jackpot Junction opened in 1984. Building on this, it was expanded to a casino on the signing of the State compact in 1989. The Tribe then went to court to force another state compact allowing blackjack. A management firm and later a consulting firm were used to start operations and then the Tribe took over. Jackpot Junction casino has 57 blackjack tables, 1,200 slots and other video games, offers a variety of food services and has nightly entertainment. A gas station and convenience store built in 1991 are adjacent to the casino. The Tribe owns the nearby Dakota Inn Motel with 122 rooms and swimming pool, an RV park, and a six-story hotel with convention center was built in 1996.
For TTY/TDD communication, cotact us through the Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529.