Tactical Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Tactical Forums » Firearms Forums » Custom Guns » Larue FF Rail (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Larue FF Rail
Pat _Rogers
"The next best thing to Yoda"
Member # 1399

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat _Rogers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larue Tactical is nothing if not forward leaning, proficient, and possesse a shrewed business sense.
Their adjustable throw lever mounts have quite literally gone through certain portions of the SOF community like a twister through a trailer park, and Mark and the crew at Austin Precision are like all A type personalities. They either move forward or they rot (like several companies out there).
He sent me out a PEQ-2A mount last month, and it is- like all of his products- the heat (if i can convince Tim Lau to post my pics i'll have some up).
Two weeks ago, under penalty of excommunication, he told me that they had a FF Rail- true to the Mil-Std 1913.
They completed the design and prototyping in one week.
Yesterday he let it fly publicly, so to speak.
This is a pretty efficient rail system, and certainly less expensive than all of the competitors, and will retail for somewhere around the $240 mark. TangDown rail panels are an option (hint- get them).
I don't have one in my paws yet (as i await FedEx delivery) but i have the pics and an hours worth of detailed explanation.

I just submitted a SWAT article about Larue. It would have gone in sooner except he continues to make new stuff....

--------------------
S/F

Pat Sends

Posts: 2176 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
fix
Member # 1760

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fix   Email fix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Larue Tactical is nothing if not forward leaning, proficient, and possesse a shrewed business sense.
I couldn't agree more. Talk about a company that came from out of nowhere! 6 months ago, when I heard Larue, I thought about cool reactive steel targets. Now I think about sights and mounts. If you're like me and like to have your BUIS up all the time, take a hard look at their improved BUIS. It is the Cats Ass™. Can't wait for the article Pat. Also look forward to hearing about the rail system as well.
Posts: 128 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Aubrey_W_Bogard
Member # 5142

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Aubrey_W_Bogard   Email Aubrey_W_Bogard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need pics!!!
Posts: 37 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cato
Member # 988

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grant of G&R Tactical, LLC has posted this over at thisAr15.com thread:

Hot off the CNC machines and into my hands, we are proud to introduce the NEW standard in FF rail systems! The LaRue 7.0 weighs in at 9.7 ounces (which puts it between the DD and KAC FF tubes). It is CNC'd out of a solid billet of wrought aluminum. Cost is going to be $245 with 3 Tango Down rail covers included or $230 without the rail covers. Availability will be next week and the first 100 will be specially numbered!

C4

-

-

Now for the details...

The two SS alignment pegs are permanently attached so they don't fall out while installing.

-

There is a spring loaded retention pin that keeps the hand guard nut from coming loose. No longer do you need to use loctite it to keep it in place! The pin is kept in place by a hex screw until the HG nut is tightened and then you loosen it to allow the pin to snap into place.

-

The handguard nut is grooved to allow the pin to fit into a slot and keep it in place.

-

There is an added tooth at the end of the rail to help protect the gas tube.

-

The true tell tale sign that this rail system is the best, is that the Tango Down Vertical Grip fits the BEST on these rails that I have seen of ANY rail sytem! [Wink]

G&R Tactical, LLC
www.gandrtactical.com
sales@gandrtactical.com
757-515-8580

Posts: 76 | From: Austria | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
c4igrant
FNG
Member # 5497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for c4igrant   Author's Homepage   Email c4igrant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the post CATO!

C4

--------------------
www.gandrtactical.com

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat _Rogers
"The next best thing to Yoda"
Member # 1399

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat _Rogers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their is a reason that they are a rising star. First off their background is in the high tech end of the spectrum.
They do their own work- unlike some of the others who must sub out the work. They can therefore more rapidly design and build something.
Because it is all in house, the QA and QC is more tightly controlled.
They are shooters.
They are thinking waaaaay out of the box.
They actually know how to cut a 1913 rail- something that others are unwilling/ unable to do.

There is a lot more coming down the track from them.

--------------------
S/F

Pat Sends

Posts: 2176 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgrubbs
Seeker
Member # 1502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcgrubbs   Email mcgrubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's that dang UPS man?!?

--------------------
"the disinformation cowpath" Pat Rogers-2003

Posts: 377 | From: Artesia, NM, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim L
Arbiter of Good Taste in Tactical Gear
Member # 2833

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim L   Author's Homepage   Email Tim L       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,

Send me the pictures and I'll put 'em up!

Tim

Posts: 678 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLMco
Member # 1700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JLMco   Email JLMco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about getting one of these, and soon. If I do, I'll let you guys know.

I just blew a headgasket on my (thank you Ford for your 'cough' excellent 3.8L engine) car, so I gotta deal with that first.

Figures it would happen right before the AWB expires. There goes my toy money [Razz]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jar3ds
FNG
Member # 5588186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jar3ds   Email jar3ds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if larue comes out with a midlength i might put it on my 6.8 future build...
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SSN664
Seeker
Member # 1509

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSN664   Email SSN664   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this require removal of the front sight base to install? I have one from Troy Industries that uses the original barrel nut and only requires removal of delta ring. Either way, KAC has competition. A very good thing.

--------------------
Civilize 'em with a Krag, err, an M4.

Posts: 481 | From: Southern Indiana | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giffmann
FNG
Member # 3670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for giffmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The La Rues do require removal of the FSB and the standard barrel nut.
Posts: 21 | From: Omaha, NE USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim L
Arbiter of Good Taste in Tactical Gear
Member # 2833

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim L   Author's Homepage   Email Tim L       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other lengths will be forthcoming, but the carbine length rail systems are available NOW.

Tim

Posts: 678 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SSN664
Seeker
Member # 1509

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSN664   Email SSN664   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
giffman-The Troy Industries FF Rail I bought from you is also very nice.

Thanks.

--------------------

Posts: 481 | From: Southern Indiana | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgrubbs
Seeker
Member # 1502

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for mcgrubbs   Email mcgrubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, I got my new LaRue rail mounted up today. Very nice indeed!

Here's some pics:

[img]www.photobucket.com/albums/v446/mcgrubbs/LaRuerail026.jpg [/img]

[img]www.photobucket.com/albums/v446/mcgrubbs/LaRuerail028.jpg [/img]

[img]www.photobucket.com/albums/v446/mcgrubbs/LaRuerail030.jpg [/img]

Rail went on pretty easy.

Now I have to go heat it up tommorow!!

Monty

Posts: 377 | From: Artesia, NM, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damon
Member # 778

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damon   Email Damon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photobucket is not working.
Posts: 130 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgrubbs
Seeker
Member # 1502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcgrubbs   Email mcgrubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, it won't hotlink. Just click the link and the pic will appear.

--------------------

Posts: 377 | From: Artesia, NM, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damon
Member # 778

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damon   Email Damon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monty,

You Larue groupie. That rail install looks darn good. What type of rail covers are you going to put on it?

Posts: 130 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgrubbs
Seeker
Member # 1502

Member Rated:
Nope Damon.....the correct term is "LaRue Guy"
heh heh heh

I am pretty sold on these MagPul XT covers. I just slapped three of the coyote covers on that gun.

They look nice with the tan TD grip and tan Vltor stock.

Monty

--------------------

giffmann
FNG
Member # 3670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for giffmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SSN664:
giffman-The Troy Industries FF Rail I bought from you is also very nice.

Thanks.

Glad you're happy with it. Now we need to see some pics of it!!
Posts: 21 | From: Omaha, NE USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLMco
Member # 1700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JLMco   Email JLMco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monty, how hard was it to put the rail on?

Actually I'm more concerned about getting the damn FSB off. I heard the pins can be a REAL PITA. Any tips you might have?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcgrubbs
Seeker
Member # 1502

Member Rated:
The BEST thing you can do to take off a FSB it to use Liquid Wrench Super Penetrator (or something like it), and let it set for a good while.

You can cover it with duct tape and trim out the exact areas of the pins. This help protect it from dings if the punch slips.

I have a four year old Bushy I took the barrel off of a few weeks ago. I let it sit overnight with the penetrator on it. Took two hard whacks with a regular hammer to get it moving. Another good hit and the pins were out.

You need to use a punch with a proper tip. You need one that has a cupped tip. This cups the pin. The one that Brownells sells is #28 on this page: Brownells AR15 Tools

Once you get your barrel nut, FS, and FSB off, it's real simple. Basically just screwing stuff together.

Monty

--------------------

SSN664
Seeker
Member # 1509

Member Rated:
quote:
The BEST thing you can do to take off a FSB it to use Liquid Wrench Super Penetrator (or something like it), and let it set for a good while.
Monty, you are probably right.

The EASIEST thing you can do is let Wes Grant install it when you buy the mount from him. He did three Knight's FF RAS for me over the past year. Given La Rue's quality and price, my next 16" Colt LW will have a La Rue from Wes.

--------------------

mcgrubbs
Seeker
Member # 1502

Member Rated:
Very true, Paul.

This is for us impatient, "just have to try it ourselves" folks.

Let's face it....I am no sort of gunsmith!

Monty

--------------------

SSN664
Seeker
Member # 1509

Member Rated:
quote:
Let's face it....I am no sort of gunsmith!

It's like Ken P keeps telling my son, "Never let your Dad work on your gun..."

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Tactical Forums Home Page

This site was designed and created by August McClung