There is a great deal of information available on the railways of
area in the C. Robert Craig Memorial Library. Click here to go to
the home page of this library. Another site with good information
on the railways in this area is Railways
of Eastern Ontario
My pages First Trips and Early Excursions in the Ottawa Area describes some of the events listed here. A hot link has been provided to these events.
Maps of the railways of the Ottawa area have been prepared by Chris Hall.
Items marked indicate changes to the corporate structure of Ottawa area railways.
Sources: These are too numerous to set out in each case. In the vast majority of cases I have used primary documents such as Orders in Council or orders of the Board of Railway Commissioners and its successors. Local papers have also been extensively scrutinized.
The entries in this listing are shown in chronological order. You may either scroll through or click on the dates below.
1827 - The Rideau Canal Tramway is built from a stone quarry near Hog's Back to the canal, a distance of just under a mile. The tramway transported stone for the locks and weirs on the Rideau Canal and was abandoned with the opening of the Rideau Canal in 1832.
1847 - The Union Rail Road opens. This was a 3½ mile horse powered portage railway on the Québec side of the Ottawa River some 32 miles west of Bytown (Ottawa). It ran from Lac Deschenes to Lac des Chats to avoid Chats Falls and was build by an unincorporated partnership known as the Union Forwarding Company. This horse railway was put out of business by the coming of the steam railways and it was closed at the end of the navigation season in 1879.
1851, April 7 - Walter Shanly, a railway engineer, completes his report on the location of the Bytown and Prescott Railway. It was published in the Ottawa Citizen on Saturday 26 April, 1851. Click here to see these reports.
1851, October 9 - official ground breaking ceremony for the Bytown and Prescott Railway takes place at the McTaggert Street station site. A formal parade made its way from the Company offices to the station site. The ceremony was followed by a formal dinner at Doran's.
1854, December 25 - The first scheduled
through service of the Bytown
and Prescott Railway, which was chartered on May 10, 1850
(Statutes of Canada 1850, cap. 132). Advertisements showed a
train leaving Bytown 6:00 a.m. calling at Gloucester, Osgoode,
Kemptville, Oxford, Spencers, arriving Prescott 9:00 am, connecting by
ferry to the Ogdensburgh Railroad going east for Montreal (arriving
same evening), Boston and New York (arriving next day). A return
train left from Prescott at 5:30 (waiting for the ferry from
Ogdensburgh Railroad trains), arriving Bytown 8:30 p.m. Fares
during the first week of service were $2 for the round trip.
- An eye witness, writing over 40 years later in December 1895, stated that the bridge over the Rideau River was not completed until January 1855.
The line had been completed and opened in sections as follows:
21 June 1854 between Prescott and Spencerville,- There have been references to a temporary terminus at New Edinburgh. This may be the reference to trains starting from Montreal Road on 14 December 1854.
9 August 1854 between Spencerville and Kemptville, connecting by carriages to Becket's landing with Steamboat to/from Ottawa;
4 November 1854 between Kemptville and Gloucester;
14 December 1854 trains started from the Montreal Road near the Rideau Bridge at the east end of Bytown.
1855, January 1 - Bytown and Prescott Railway commences carrying mail as well as passengers.
1855, May 10 - Official
opening of the Bytown and Prescott Railway. The railway changed its
name to Ottawa and Prescott later that year.
1855, November 17 - the Grand Trunk Railway is opened between Montreal and Brockville.
1856, October 27 - The Grand Trunk Railway opens its broad gauge line throughout between Montreal and Toronto. It was opened in sections as follows:
Montreal to Brockville - November 17, 1855.
Oshawa to Toronto - August 11, 1856.
Brockville to Oshawa - October 27, 1856.
17 - Brockville and Ottawa Railway is opened, on the provincial
gauge (5' 6"), between Brockville (from a temporary station at the
junction with the Grand Trunk Railway) via Smiths Falls to Perth.
1859, September 12 - Brockville and Ottawa Railway is opened from Smiths Falls to Almonte (this may have been as early as August 22).
1860, September, 3 - the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, rides between Almonte and Brockville on the Brockville and Ottawa Railway. The prince had travelled to Arnprior by water from Ottawa and used the Chats Falls horse railway of the Union Forwarding Company.
1860, December 31 - Brockville and Ottawa
Railway opens a tunnel of one third of a mile from the
temporary station in Brockville to the Harbour. This was the first
railway tunnel in Canada.
1861, October - a tramway is in use by this date at the Currier saw mill lumber yard at the Rideau Falls.
- a third rail is laid alongside the Ottawa and Prescott line between Prescott
Junction and Prescott wharf so that broad gauge Grand Trunk Railway
trains can run directly to the Prescott wharf.
1864, November1 - Brockville and Ottawa Railway opens its line between Almonte and Arnprior. To mark this event, "The Great Railway Celebration" was held in Arnprior on Thursday, December 8, 1864. It was held in a "large and commodious two-storey brick school", likely the Arnprior Public School situated on Ottawa Street. The dinner-dance was the most elaborate social event in the village since the visit of the Prince of Wales four years earlier.
1865, September 14 - Brockville and Ottawa Railway opens between Arnprior and Sand Point.
1867 - The Ottawa and Prescott Railway is reorganized as the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway.
1868, August 14 - formal ground breaking ceremony for the Canada Central Railway section between Ottawa and Carleton Place takes place at the Hyde property on Richmond Road, three miles west of Ottawa. This ceremony is repeated on 26August at Carleton Place.
1869, October 11 - His Royal Highness Prince Arthur arrives in Ottawa at the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway station at Sussex Street which was heavily decorated for the occasion.
1869, October 13 - His Royal Highness Prince Arthur rides the Chats Falls horse railway of the Union Forwarding Company on his way from Aylmer to Pembroke.
1870, September 15 - Canada Central Railway opens on the provincial gauge (5' 6") from Chaudière (Broad Street) to Carleton Place, then known as Carleton Junction. The inspection was carried out on this day by Mr. J.H. Rowan of the Department of Public Works who found that “the work done on the line is of a good and permanent character, the stations, rolling stock and other appurtenances being sufficient for the proper working of the road".
1871, July 22 - formal ground breaking ceremony for the Canada Central Railway section between Sand Point and Renfrew takes place at Renfrew.
1871, December 13 - St. Lawrence and Ottawa
Railway opens from Chaudière Junction (later Ellwood),
over the Rideau River and Canal, west of Dows Lake to the Chaudière.
The first locomotive arrived on 9 December while flat cars were
being loaded at the Booth mill as early as 2 December. These had
been brought to the Chaudiere over the Ottawa City Passenger Railway,
the horse railway.
1872 July - the Dufferin Bridge tramway is opened. It was extended to Parliament Square in September 1873 and the rails were removed in October 1875.
1872, December 4 - the Canada
Central Railway inaugural train between Sand Point and Renfrew.
The works had been inspected by Mr. F.A. Thise who found that the line,
although in an incomplete state for want of fencing and cattleguards
was not unsafe for public travel. Freight trains had started
operating from November 11 while a special excursion is believed to
have been run from Arnprior to Renfrew on 6 November to accommodate
people wanting to visit the Renfrew fair. Regular passenger
service commenced Monday December 9.
1872 - the
Canada Central and Brockville and Ottawa Railways construct a large
stone roundhouse and shop at Carleton Place.
3-4 - The Grand Trunk Railway converts the gauge of its line main line
through Prescott Junction to standard gauge.
1875, May 14 -
ceremony of the first sod of the L'Orignal and Caledonia Railway
at Treadwell Hill, just outside L'Orignal. Some work was done but
the line was never opened to traffic.
1875, August 30 - ceremonial turning of the first sod at Pembroke for the Canada Central Railway section between Renfrew and Pembroke. A civic holiday was declared so that Pembroke citizens could attend the ceremony.
1876, October 3 - Regular trains of the Canada Central Railway commence running between Renfrew and Pembroke, construction trains having been used until this date.
1877, December 27 - Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway opens between Montréal and Hull via Lachute.
1879, August 6 - Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway extends from Hull to Aylmer.
1880, 15 April
- passengers and freight are carried on the Canada Central Railway
extension west of Pembroke to Mackey's station by the contractor
James Worthington. This section was handed over to the Canada
Central on 1 December 1880.
1880, April 24 and 25 - the gauge of the Canada Central Railway, including the former Brockville and Ottawa Railway, is changed from 5' 6" to standard gauge. The work, carried out by 300 men, was accomplished without interruption to train services. Since the shops were unable to to convert all motive power and rolling stock immediately to standard gauge, a number of broad gauge locomotives and cars were sent to the extension, and construction of the extension between Mackey's Station and Mattawa was carried out on the broad gauge. The track between Mackey's Station and Mattawa was narrowed to standard gauge on Saturday 17 September 1881. At this time, the broad gauge engines and cars were moved back to Carleton Place shops, aboard flat cars, for gauge conversion.
1880, December 13 - Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway extends its line from Hull to Chaudière over the Prince of Wales Bridge. The bridge was tested on this day and the first official train used it on December 16. However, work continued on the structure until Monday, 17 January 1881, when trains started using it regularly. At first, the QMO&O used the Canada Central station until the opening of Union Station.
1881, May 23 - the first Union Station is opened at the Chaudière (Broad Street) between the Canada Central Railway and the Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway.
1881, by June 6 - Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway trains from Aylmer commence using the new Union station at the Chaudière.
1881, June 9 - Canada Central Railway is amalgamated into the Canadian Pacific Railway.
1882, May 1 - the Québec legislature approves the sale of the Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway line from Montreal to Ottawa and the Aylmer branch to the Canadian Pacific Railway. The actual transfer took place on June 3.
1882, June 15 - ceremony of the turning of the first sod for the Ottawa and Gatineau Valley Railway is held at Hull. Mr. Alonzo Wright M.P. performed the ceremony in the absence of the Hon. J.A. Chapleau, Premier of Quebec.
1882, June - the Canadian Pacific Railway constructs a car shop at Perth.
1882, September 13 - Canada Atlantic Railway opens from Coteau, Que. to Ottawa, Elgin Street. A gaily decorated special train had been run for the directors on 11 September. The company was originally incorporated as the Montréal and City of Ottawa Railway on April 14, 1871. It amalgamated with the Coteau and Province Line Railway and Bridge Company to form the Canada Atlantic Railway on May 15, 1879. The station was located at Catherine Street near Elgin Street ,where the Queensway now is. The line was opened in sections as follows:
1883 - Canadian Pacific opens the Brockville Loop line. This was a heavily graded line, much of it on trestle work, running under the Grand Trunk main line to the industries at the western end of the Brockville waterfront.
1883, December - Canada Atlantic opens an extension to the Chaudiere from Elgin Street as far as Broad Street. The station is known as Richmond Road or Chaudiere Falls.
1884, May 12 - first through train betwen Ottawa and Toronto over the Ontario and Quebec Railway (Canadian Pacific) newly opened from Perth to Toronto. Regular through trains between Montreal and Toronto commenced over this route on 28 July 1884.
1884, September 26 - St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway is leased to the Canadian Pacific Railway for 999 years. CPR had obtained control and commenced integration in 1881.
1884, December 29 - Kingston and Pembroke Railway opens between Kingston and Renfrew. The actual connection with the Canadian Pacific Railway at Renfrew was made on December 26. The line had been opened in sections as follows:
Kingston to Sharbot Lake (46½ miles) on June 17 1875.1885, April 11 - Canadian Pacific Railway carries out a trial of an automatic type of coupler at Union Station (Broad Street). This greatly reduced the danger to the lives and limbs of trainmen who then did not need to go between cars when coupling and uncoupling. This saw the eventual elimination of the link and pin coupling. A trial of a different model was carried out at the Canada Atlantic Railway station on 18 July 1885.
Sharbot Lake to Mississippi (12½ miles) in 1877
Mississippi to Levant (10 miles) in 1881
Levant to Clyde Lake (10 miles) in 1882
Clyde Lake to south side of Grassy Bay (8 miles) in 1883
South side of Grassy Bay to Renfrew (16 miles) in 1884.
1885, May 1 - Canadian Pacific Railway opens the branch from Buckingham Junction (Masson) to Buckingham.
1885, August 24 - passenger trains of the former St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway (to and from Prescott) commence using the Canadian Pacific Railway Union Station at the Chaudiere. Until this time the Sussex Street station had been used.
1886, June 28 - First Pacific Express passes through Ottawa to inaugurate transcontinental passenger service. It reached Ottawa via Lachute, Hull and the Prince of Wales Bridge.
1887, August 15 - Ontario and Quebec Railway (Canadian Pacific) opens the Smiths Falls section between Vaudreuil and Smiths Falls. Freight and passenger trains (possibly mixed trains) commenced operation between Perth and Merrickville on 25 October 1886.
1887, November 2 - the Canada Atlantic Railway commences using the first passenger cars in Canada to be fitted with electric light.
1887, November 10 - Canada Atlantic Railway commences heating passenger cars by steam thus eliminating the danger of fire from stoves. This is the first such use in Canada. The entire Canada Atlantic passenger car fleet had been equipped with steam heating by October 1891 at which time the company became the first railway in Canada to use steam heating exclusively.
1888, February 2 - Pontiac Pacific Junction Railway completes construction of its line from Waltham to Aylmer where there was a connection with the Canadian Pacific line between Hull and Aylmer. The line was opened in stages as follows:
The opening in ten mile segments were the dates subsidies were approved. The intermediate openings to service were:
Aylmer to Quyon, mile 21 - December 9, 1884 (operated by the contractor until mid-February 1885).
mile 21 to 31 - December 24, 1885.
mile 31 to 41 - January 27, 1886.
mile 41 to 51 - October 10, 1886.
mile 51 to 61 - December 15 1886.
mile 61 to Waltham - 2 February, 1888.
March 1886 - Aylmer to ShawvilleThrough running of Pontiac and Pacific Junction Railway passenger trains from Aylmer to Ottawa over the Canadian Pacific Aylmer branch commenced on 5 September 1887.
November 1886 - Shawville to Fort Coulonge
August 27, 1894 - Fort Coulonge to Waltham. Although this section was completed and rails laid by February 1888, service did not commence until this date.
1888, June 28 - the first train, a ballast train, is run over the Canada Atlantic Railway Chaudiere Extension from Broad Street to Chaudiere Falls. The first revenue train, nearly a hundred cars of lumber, departed on September 18.
1889, June 4 - Canadian Pacific commences operation of a through train from Montreal to Minneapolis and St. Paul. The first train originated at Sault Ste. Marie but the second and sunsequent trains ran right through. These were known as the "Soo Express".
1889, August - J.R. Booth constructs a piling
ground in the vicinity of Dows Lake, access to this is obtained by
a siding from the Canada Atlantic line southwards from Rochester
Street. At the same time, Messrs. Sheppard and Morse
construct a piling ground east of the Rideau River at Hurdman with rail
access from the Canada Atlantic main line.
1889, late - the Pontiac and Renfrew Railway opens from Wyman (Billerica) to Bristol, 4 miles. The company had powers to cross the Ottawa River. Although the line was out of use by 1891, occasional shipments of iron ore were made at least until 1896. The trackbed was later used for the Hilton Mines Spur. Although 2 July 1889 is the date usually given for the opening of this line, the company was trying to arrange for the supply of rolling stock in November 1889 and a locomotive was not put on the line until early November 1889.
1891, August 12 - Canada Atlantic locomotive No. 33, tender and part of one car fall into the Rideau Canal through an open drawbridge. The accident was caused by the fireman who made the movement without his engineer.
1891, October - Ottawa and Gatineau Valley Railway completes the first part of its line as far as Wakefield although public service was not commenced until 15 February 1892. From the start trains originated and terminated at the Canadian Pacific Railway Ottawa Union station on Broad Street. The rest of the line was completed in stages as follows:
December 1891 - construction completed to Farrelton - service commenced 16 April 1892.the name of the Ottawa and Gatineau Valley Railway was changed to Ottawa and Gatineau Railway in 1894.
14 February 1893 - first train arrives in Kazabazua, regular service commences 22 February 1893.
6 December 1893 - train service is extended from Kazabazua to Wright (the Pickanock).
25 October 1895 - opened from Wright to Gracefield.
8 February 1904 - Line is opened throughout to Maniwaki by Canadian Pacific.
1892, January 4 - Central Counties Railway,
incorporated on June 23, 1887 as the Prescott County Railway, opens
from Glen Robertson to Hawkesbury. The line was leased to the Canada
Atlantic Railway on 17 April 1891. A formal inspection had been
made by Inspector Marcus Smith on 3 December 1891 who found the line
ready to be opened to the public provided two culverts were
strengthened and proper provision made for turning the engine at
Hawkesbury. The first sod had been turned at Glen
Robertson on 31 March 1891.
1892, August 4 - J.R. Booth acquires the mill property of Messrs. Perley and Pattee at the Chaudiere thus paving the way for the final extension of the Canada Atlantic Railway across Bridge street and into the J.R. Booth mill itself.
1892, December 30 - Canadian Pacific Railway
opens from Payne to Eganville with an excursion train from
Renfrew. A 25c. ticket carried each passenger and gave admission
as well to a Presbyterian tea-meeting.
1893, April 17 - The world's largest cheese is shipped from Perth as Canada's entry for the dairy exhibit at the World's Columbian Exhibition in Chicago, IL. This 22,000 lb. monster, measuring 6 feet in height and 8 ¾ feet in diameter, was made in a section of the Canadian Pacific freight shed in Perth. The cheese, along with a special horse drawn wagon designed to haul the cheese, was loaded in the Perth station yard on Saturday 15 and placed on show before being shipped. At every station at which the train stopped, the people crowded on the flat car the cheese was on and wrote their names on the box. By the time it reached Chicago there were about 200,000 autographs and not a square inch of space left..
1893, summer - work starts at Kingston on the construction of the Kingston, Smiths Falls and Ottawa Railway. Progress was slow and no trains were ever run.
1893, September 18 - Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway is opened between Ottawa and Arnprior. The company was formed on May 18, 1891 through the amalgamation of the Ottawa and Parry Sound Railway with the Ottawa, Arnprior and Renfrew Railway. The various sections were opened as follows:
1895, December 9 - Central Counties Railway opens from South Indian (Limoges) to Rockland (an excursion from Rockland to South Indian had been run on 25 July). The line was leased to the Canada Atlantic Railway on 29 August 1895. A formal inspection was made by Mr. J. St.V. Caddy of the Department of Railways and Canals on 6-8 December 1895 and authority was given for the Canada Atlantic Railway to open the line for public traffic, subject to a 15 mph speed restriction on the last two miles into Rockland until this section could be properly ballasted.
1895, December 23 - the Canada Atlantic and
Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railways open a temporary passenger
station alongside the Rideau Canal just to the north of Maria
street (later Laurier Avenue). From this date, the Canada
Atlantic station at Elgin street is closed for passenger traffic and
quickly converted to a store house. A
special inspection train had been run on Saturday 21 December when
the new station was formally opened.
1896, March 21
- the Hull Electric Railway concludes an agreement with the
Canadian Pacific to lease the Hull-Aylmer branch.
1896, September 17 - Central Depot is
opened by the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound and Canada Atlantic
Railways. The building was originally Dufresne and McTaggart's
wholesale grocery warehouse that had previously been converted to a
1896, November 2 - Madawaska becomes the divisional point on the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway. Before this time, Barry's Bay had been the divisional point. On this date trains started running through from Ottawa and a new five stall roundhouse was opened.
21 - the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway opens throughout
between Ottawa and Parry Sound.
1898, April 12
- ground breaking for
the County of Lanark Electric Railway was accomplished
by Mr. James Doyle, of Perth, and the ground was broken on his
farm at Armstrong's Corners, near Perth. He used his road
grader for the purpose, and turned up the sod for about two acres along
the proposed route. The object was to save the company's
charter although little else was achieved and the line was never
opened to traffic.
1898, July 29 - Ottawa and New York Railway opens between Cornwall and Ottawa. Incorporated as the Ontario Pacific Railway in 1882, it became the Ottawa and New York Railway in 1897. The first sod was turned at Cornwall on 23 August 1897 and the first revenue freight was two carloads of hay from Crysler to Montreal which were routed through Finch and the Canadian Pacific in late October 1897. Agreement could not initially be negotiated with the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway on the use of Central Depot and Ottawa and New York trains ran to and from the Canadian Pacific station at Sussex or McTaggert Street.
1898, September 5 - Canadian Pacific Railway opens from Montréal to Ottawa via Rigaud. An inspection trip was run on May 19. This line had been chartered by the Vaudreuil and Prescott Railway in 1884. The Vaudreuil and Prescott Railway changed its name to Montréal and Ottawa Railway on 26 March 1890 and was leased in perpetuity to Canadian Pacific on 15 November 1892. It was opened in stages as follows:
1898, September 5 - Archbishop Duhamel, at a ceremony in Embrun, blesses the Ottawa and New York Railway, its President, the road itself, its employees and rolling stock. Several thousand peple were present and a picnic was held in the afternoon.
1898, September 6 - Two spans of the New York and Ottawa Railroad bridge over the south channel of the St. Lawrence River collapse with the loss of fifteen lives.
1899, January 2 - Pembroke Southern Railway, incorporated May 27, 1893, opens from Golden Lake to Pembroke. The first train into Pembroke had arrived on November 14, 1898. The company was leased to the Canada Atlantic Railway on August 31, 1899 which took over operation on 1 September 1899.
1899, January 9 - Hull Electric purchases, for $100,000, the Canadian Pacific line between Aylmer and the main line at Hull. Before this the Hull Electric had used the line under lease.
1899, March 6 - Ottawa and New York Railway is forced to use a freight building at the St. Patrick Street bridge as a temporary terminus because the bridge over the Rideau River giving access to the Sussex Street depot has become unsafe.
1899, March 20 - Ottawa and New York Railway trains begin using Central Depot (Canada Atlantic/Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railways) for passenger trains. Mixed trains continued to use the Canadian Pacific Sussex Street station until October 1901.
1899, June 6 - Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway becomes part of the Canada Atlantic Railway.
1900, April 26-27 - the disastrous great
fire of Hull-Ottawa destroys a great deal of railway infrastructure
including 13 cars of the Ottawa and Gatineau and Pontiac Pacific
Junction Railways and 175 Canadian Pacific freight cars valued at
$130,000. The Canadian Pacific Union Station and freight sheds on
Lebreton Flats were destroyed (valued at $40,000) while the value of
Canadian Pacific freight lost was estimated at $30,000. The fire
created a shortage of lumber in the area
and, as a result, the Canada Atlantic Railway car shops in Ottawa East
were forced to temporarily cease building new freight cars.
1900, September - Canada Atlantic completes the installation of automatic couplers and air brakes on its freight rolling stock.
1900, December 1 - Canadian Pacific opens a new station at Ottawa Broad Street, known as Union Station, to replace the one destroyed in the Hull-Ottawa fire.
1900, December 11 - the bridge over the St. Lawrence River at Cornwall, which was wrecked during construction on 6 September 1898, is opened thus allowing the Ottawa and New York Railway to commence through train service from Ottawa and Cornwall to Tupper Lake, NY. (the company had been avdertising through service since October 5). A formal inspection had taken place on 11 October 1900.
1901, February 22 - The Interprovincial Bridge is opened. However trains could not be run immediately because railway connection in Hull was not completed.
1901, April 16 - the Ottawa and Gatineau Railway is authorized to open 1.87 miles of line extending from a point on its constructed line, then opened as far as Gracefield, in the township of Hull to a point of junction with the approach to the Interprovincial Bridge in Hull.
1901 - Ottawa and Gatineau Railway changes its name to Ottawa, Northern and Western Railway.
1901, April 22 - The first scheduled train across the Interprovincial bridge was Ottawa and North Western train #2 from Gracefield arriving in Ottawa at 09:35. The first train out of Ottawa over the bridge would have been O&NW train #1 which left at17:00 later that day. The Pontiac Pacific Junction Railway was authorized to build a bridge from Hull to Ottawa in 1882. The Interprovincial Bridge Company was incorporated in 1890 and the rights of the Pontiac Pacific Junction were transferred to the Ottawa Interprovincial Bridge Company in 1898.
1901, September 24 - Pontiac Pacific Junction Ry. is authorized to open from a point on the Canadian Pacific near Hull station to a junction with the Ottawa Northern and Western Railway in Hull.
1901, October 1 - Ottawa and New York Ry. starts to use its freight station at Ann (Mann) and Nicholas Streets for its mixed trains which had used previously the Canadian Pacific Sussex Street station.
1901, December 2 - Pontiac Pacific Junction Ry. is authorized to open from a junction with the Hull Electric Railway to Aylmer, about seven miles. From this date passenger trains from Aylmer are routed through Hull and into Central Depot over the Interprovincial Bridge. The first train was the 6 o'clock from Waltham which arrived at Ottawa Central Depot at 9.15 a.m.
1902, May 1 - Canadian Pacific assumes control of the Ottawa, Northern and Western Railway, the actual agreements and authorities were completed by the following November. The line was effectively merged into the CPR effective midnight 31 October 1903.
1902, May 23 - Ottawa, Northern and Western trains begin to use the Canadian Pacific Union Station at Broad Street.
1902, May 31 - A special train carrying Sir Thos. G. Shaughnessy, President CPR on his annual tour of inspection of the line to the Pacific coast is stopped at the Central station by blocks placed on the line by the Canada Atlantic Ry. for the purpose of preventing the Canadian Pacific using the station for through traffic. This matter was referred to the Railway Committee of the Privy Council.
1902, June 15 - Canadian Pacific
transcontinental trains begin running between Montreal and Ottawa via
Vaudreuil and the short line instead of on the north side of the Ottawa
river. From the Central Station Ottawa the trains
then crossed over the Interprovincial bridge to Hull, thence over the
north shore line to the Union Station at Lebreton Flats.
1902, September 22 - the Pontiac and Pacific Junction becomes part of the Ottawa, Northern and Western Railway. It had been worked in conjunction with the Gatineau Valley line for some time previously.
1903, May - construction commences on the International Portland Cement Company's plant in Hull near Leamy Lake. A connection is made to the Canadian Pacific main line as well as the Maniwaki line in Hull. The plant was opened in early1905.
1903, Summer - J.R. Booth constructs a siding to new piling grounds on the McTiernan farm south of the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound line, near Merivale Road. These were over two miles outside city limits and were constructed to avoid the possibility of fire in the city.
1903, October 24 - Brockville, Westport and Sault Ste. Marie Railway changes its name to Brockville, Westport and North-Western.
1904, February 8 - the Canadian Pacific Maniwaki line is opened throughout between Hull and Maniwaki. Open for carriage authority had been obtained on 8 January 1904 but service was delayed by a defect in the water system.
1904, February 9 - Canadian Pacific train 7 collides head on with Canadian Pacific train 8 about two miles west of Sand Point. Thirteen people died and nineteen were hurt in this accident.
1904, May - the Elgin Street subway is opened. The fomer crossing at grade had proved very inconvenient as train movements built up in this area.
1905, January 31 (midnight) - the Ottawa and New York Railway comes under the control of the New York Central and Hudson River Railway. The line had been sold at auction in Utica, NY on 22 December 1904 but there was a delay obtaining court approval for the sale.
1905, October 1 - Grand Trunk Railway
assumes control of the Canada Atlantic Railway by agreement dated
August 15, 1904.
1906, July 22 - The Grand Trunk Railway changes from left to right hand running on double track sections. The change involved considerable alteration in crossovers, switches and semaphore signals.
1906, September 10 - The Bank Street subway, Ottawa, is opened under the Grand Trunk Railway. A temporary bridge is used until the permanent bridge is installed on the weekend of 13-14 July 1907.
1906, September 21 - a Grand Trunk express
hits a standing freight at a crossover just west of Napanee.
While other trainmen leaped to safety, engineer Frank W. Blaine, known
as "Sailor Blaine", stuck to his post to slow his train and save the
passengers. He was killed. A monument in his memory was
erected in a Brockville cemetery by his passengers.
1907, March/April - Canadian Pacific tears down the Car Shops at Perth.
1907, July 2 - one hundred men start grading the Kingston, Smiths Falls and Ottawa Railway. Little progress was made on this Grand Trunk Railway controlled line, which would have run practically in a direct line between Kingston and Ottawa.
1907, July 10 - Mr. J.G.G. Kerry is appointed to recommend on the most favourable route for the Canadian Northern Ontario Railway line between a crossing of the Bay of Quinte Railway and Ottawa. Mr. Kerry, who reported on 18 May 1908, found in favour of a route through Smiths Falls with a branch to Lanark. Final route approval for this line, which made a junction with the line from French River at Federal, just outside Ottawa, was granted on 30 October 1909.
1907, October 26 - Mayor D'Arcy Scott turns the first sod on the Grand Trunk Railway hotel and station construction in Ottawa. The ceremony took place at the corner of Little Sussex and Besserer Streets. Mayor Scott used a nickel plated duplicate of the tool that was used by the sappers in excavating the Rideau canal.
1908, May 1 - Carleton Place ceases to be a division point. After this date train crews on the Canadian Pacific Chalk River subdivision operated out of Smiths Falls. This move affected some 250 train crews formerly living in and working from Carleton Place.
1908, June 23 - the Ottawa and New York Railway swingbridge over the Cornwall canal collapses. It was caused by undermining of the centre pier of the bridge by the rush of water and masonry from a large break in the canal bank. Through train service to New York state was halted until Monday 4 August when temporary repairs could be completed. A permanent bridge was completed in February 1909.
1908, July 11 -
the Little Castor River bridge on the New York Central line,
about two miles south of Embrun is destroyed by fire late on
Saturday night. A gang of men was sent down from Ottawa on Sunday
was possible to run trains over it first thing on Monday morning.
With no trains running on Sundays the bridge was repaired without
1909, September 1 - Grand Trunk workmen begin to tear down the Central Depot to make way for the new Union Station. The newly completed Baggage Annex is used as a temporary station until the completion of the new building.
1909, December 3 - The Canadian Northern Ontario Railway line from Hawkesbury to Ottawa passes inspection and through service between Montreal and Ottawa commences December 5. The official first train ran on 12 Dec 1909. It was hauled by locomotive No. 180. A temporary station at Henderson Avenue, adjacent to the Ottawa and New York Railway depot, had to be built because the company was unable to obtain agreement to cross Hurdman Road and run into Central Depot. This line was originally incorporated as the James Bay Railway in 1895. It became the Canadian Northern Ontario Railway in 1906. Hawkesbury was reached from Montréal via the Carillon and Grenville Railway and a bridge over the Ottawa River at Hawkesbury. The line was opened in sections as follows:
1910, March 16 - Canadian Pacific completes
the construction of a second track on the Winchester subdivision
between Ste. Anne de Bellevue and Smiths Falls. This work had
been completed in stages from July 1908.
1911, April 14 - a Canadian Pacific train runs into a washout two miles from North Wakefield. The engineer, William Alexander McFall, stuck to his post and only the engine toppled into the hole. Forty passengers were saved as the remainder of the train remained upright. Engineer McFall, who was badly scalded by steam and died on April 16, was awarded the King Edward medal for his heroic actions. Engineer McFall drove the first passenger train over the Interprovincial Bridge on 22 April 1901. He also lost a foot in an accident at Aylwin in 1908.
1911, June 12 - work starts at Dwyer Hill on the grading of the last section of the Canadian Northern Ontario line between Ottawa and Toronto. This was the last line constructed into Ottawa.
1911, November 11 - Canadian Pacific opens a second track between Smiths Falls and Glen Tay.
1911, December 14 - Brockville and
North-Western Railway is purchased by the Canadian Northern Ontario
1912, April 24 - Canadian Pacific installs an electric train staff system between Hull and Ottawa following a serious accident on 8 March in which five were killed and many injured in a collision between the Pontiac passenger train and an extra movement.
25-26 - Canadian Northern Railway demonstrates a gasoline-electric
passenger car in Ottawa. This was the first sign of a trend
which was to end the use of steam locomotives.
1912, June 1 - Central Station is
opened for traffic at 07:00 by the Grand Trunk Railway. Powers were
obtained on April 27, 1907 by the Ottawa Terminals Railway which was
acquired by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1910.
1912, August 6 - the first Canadian
Northern train reaches Smiths Falls when a locomotive and five flat
cars crossed the CPR tracks.
1913, January 1 - the Kingston and Pembroke Railway is leased to the Canadian Pacific Railway. The CPR had exercised control over the K&P since November 1901
1913, June 25 - A Winnipeg bound Canadian Pacific passenger train is derailed at McKellar (Westboro), near Britannia, on the Carleton Place subdivision. Eleven people were killed and 40 were injured in this accident which was caused when a track crew had not completed repairs. Three colonist, one first class, one tourist and one dining car were derailed, several lying close to the Ottawa River. Click here for further details.
1913, June late - one of the first electric
switches is installed by the Hull Electric Railway at the crossing with
the Canadian Pacific Railway at the Chateau Laurier station. When
a train approached on the Canadian Pacific line the signals were set
against the electric cars and overhead power was turned off.
1913, August 21 - the first sod is turned on the Morrisburg and Ottawa Electric Railway at the Potvig farm about three miles south of Billings Bridge. This line was never completed.
1913, December 3 - Canadian Northern Ontario Railway opens from Napanee to Hurdman, the first through trip having been completed on 3 October 1913. Freight and mixed trains started running on 5 January1914. The first through passenger train from Quebec to Toronto via this route ran on May 1, 1914 and regular through passenger train service between Toronto and Ottawa commenced June 29, 1914 (other reports show August 21).
1913, late - Canadian Northern Ontario Railway opens a spur for hauling ballast leaving the main line at what is now known as Wass. This was in use for about five years but was later used by Canadian National Railways for its spur to Uplands Airport.
1914, January 8
- a through fast freight service is inaugurated by the Canadia Northern
Railway between Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec using the recently
opened section between Ottawa and Toronto.
1914, January - Canadian Pacific completes the installation of an Electric Staff Block Signal System between Ottawa Union, Hull West, Wamo and Ottawa West, via the Interprovincial Bridge.
1914, May 17 - Canadian Northern Ontario Railway becomes part of the Canadian Northern Railway.
June 29 - Campbellford, Lake Ontario and Western Railway, which was
leased to Canadian Pacific for 999 years on 16 April 1913, is
authorized to open from Glen Tay to Agincourt, via Tichborne.
Regular train service commenced the same day, the first train
leaving Ottawa, Broad Street at 10.00.
1914, August 19 - Canadian Northern Ontario passenger trains commence using the Grand Trunk Railway Central Station with the opening of services to and from Toronto. Trains from Hawkesbury continued to use the Hurdman's Bridge station until the inauguration of through service between Ottawa and Quebec on August 24.
1914, September 30 - construction starts at Russell on the first section of the Ottawa and St. Lawrence Electric Railway which was planned to run from Ottawa to Morrisburg and Beaudette with a branch from Metcalfe to Russell. There was a public ceremony of the turning of the first sod and the day was observed as a general holiday in Russell. However, little work was done and no trains ever operated over this line.
1915, May 24 - Glengarry and Stormont Railway opens between St. Polycarpe Junction (Soulanges) and Cornwall. Tracklaying was completed on 30 November 1914 and the event was celebrated by a dinner in Williamstown on 2 December. This left ballast work and stations etc. to be completed. A Canadian Pacific inspection train was run over the unfinished line on 20 March and the company was leased to Canadian Pacific on 1 June, 1915.
1915, June 6 - the Ottawa and New York Railway makes a record run between Ottawa and Russell bringing Ottawa firefighters and equipment to Russell to fight a major fire which had broken out there. The trip for the 22 miles was made in 22 minutes. Engineer Alex Jamieson and Conductor George Broker were in charge.
1915, September 27 - Ottawa and New York Railway is leased to the New York Central Railroad for 21 years. The lease was subsequently renewed for 99 years in 1936. Before this time the line had been leased to the NYC on an annual basis.
1915, October 15 - Canadian Northern Ontario Railway opens from Pembroke to Capreol.
1915, November 23 - Canadian Northern Ontario Railway opens from Rideau Junction (Federal) to Pembroke.
1915 - the Federal Plan Commission
(known as the Holt Commission) publishes a report which recommends
rationalization of the Ottawa railway network to minimize interference
with road crossings as well as the building of a tunnel. The report was
shelved because of the war.
1916 - rails on the Pontiac and Pacific Junction Railway (Pontiac and Renfrew Railway) between Wyman and Bristol Mines are lifted and shipped off to Europe to be used in the war effort.
1917, May - Effective with the change of time, Canadian Pacific diverts its Gatineau Valley passenger trains away from its Broad Street Union Station into the Grand Trunk Railway Central Station. The trackage and other arrangements required to properly service passenger cars at this location were not completed until January 1920.
1918, August 16 - The freight sheds at the
Grand Trunk central station, Ottawa, were destroyed by fire started by
an explosion of a tank of gasoline, Aug. 16. The loss was placed
- freight shed, $15,000
- twenty eight freight cars, $20,000
- contents of freight shed and cars, $50,000.
1918, October 21 - Canadian Northern Railway commences a through service between Montreal and Toronto via Hawkesbury and Ottawa, using the GTR Central station at Ottawa. The first eastbound train left Ottawa at 08:00 and the first westbound train at 12:45.
1918, November 20 - Canadian Northern Railway is named a constituent company of Canadian National Railways.
1919, January 6 - Canadian Pacific Waltham branch trains begin using the Grand Trunk Central Station, instead of Broad Street.
1919, June 12 - an interlocker is installed at Bedell, then known as Kempton, to control train movements over the diamond crossing between the CP Winchester and Prescott subdivisions.
1919, August 25 - a Canadian Pacific special train conveying the Prince of Wales from Montreal to Toronto stops at Smiths Falls from 23:45 to 01:45. It was brought in from Montreal by locomotive 2225 carrying two special flags with the royal coat of arms. The prince walked among the crowd of several thousand people on the platform and addressed them from the platform of the business car "Killarney". The Prince of Wales returned to Montreal over the same route on 2 November 1919.
1920, January 4 - the Grand Trunk Railway
Central station is renamed Union Station. On the same
date the Canadian Pacific Broad Street or Union Station in the
Chaudiere is closed to passengers and trains begin using the Grand
Trunk Union Station.
1920, June 27 -
this is the effective date of the amalgamation of the Grand Trunk
into Canadian National Railways. On July 6, it
is announced that the Canadian Northern Ontario yard at Rideau
Junction will be abandoned.
1920, July 3 - Canadian National opens a 2879
foot connection from Pembroke Junction to the Grand Trunk (Locksley
sub.) in Pembroke. At this time the former Canadian Northern
station is renamed Pembroke Junction. Local trains from Ottawa to
Pembroke used the former Grand Trunk station in Pembroke, while
transcontinental trains continued to use Pembroke Junction.
1920, October 3 - Canadian Pacific Chaudiere Junction, the junction where the line from Prescott diverged to run to the Chaudiere and Sussex Street, is renamed Ellwood.
1921, April 8 -
the Henderson Avenue, Ottawa, station, built by the
Canadian Northern Railway, is closed
to passenger trains which are diverted to the Ottawa Union station.
The last passenger train to use the station was Canadian National
train 47 to Pembroke.
1921, July 14 - a 0.35 mile connection is opened at Lyn between the Grand Trunk and the Canadian Northern Ontario Railway Westport line (formerly Brockville, Westport & North Western) so that Westport trains may run into Brockville on the Grand Trunk main line. This allowed the abandonment, in August 1921, of 3.42 miles of trackage between Centre Street, Brockville and Lyn (this crossed over the Grand Trunk main line on an overhead bridge) and eliminated the need for the B&W station and shops in Brockville. The 3.42 miles were dismantled in 1925. The 0.64 miles remaining east of Centre Street, which connected with the Canadian Pacific Waterfront Spur, were converted into a siding.
1921 - 1922 - The 0.76 mile Canadian National spur to the former Grand Trunk(originally Canada Atlantic) station at Rockland, (from the Hammond subdivision), including the wye connection, is abandoned. It was picked up in 1925.
1922 - A plan prepared by Noulan Cauchon is published. This proposes:
1923, September 30 - service is discontinued on the Canadian National Hammond sub. The first 0.23 miles from Limoges were left as a siding while the wye connection at Limoges was taken up in 1927 along with the section between Limoges (South Indian) and Clarence Creek (0.48 miles south of Clarence Creek). Just after closure, between 3 and 4 miles of steel were taken up from Rockland southerly. Following representations by Hon Charles Murphy (MP for the area and Postmaster General) the steel was relaid between Rockland and Clarence Creek and service was reinstated. The remaining part of the Hammond subdivision (5.10 miles) then became known as the Clarence Creek Branch.
1924, September 22 - a special train
conveying the Prince of Wales from Long Island to Alberta leaves St.
Henri and runs to Ottawa East where a 15 minute stop was made in the
yard. From there it went on via Pembroke and Brent to North Bay.
1924, October 23 - Head on collision at Deschenes, Hull Electric Railway.
1925, September 28 - an articulated two car diesel electric set, 15817, commences regular service between Montreal and Ottawa via Hawkesbury, making one trip in each direction daily except Sundays. 15817 was replaced by single car 15818 by the end of October.
1926, January 3 - Canadian National discontinues
service (trains 73 and 74) between Kingston and Harrowsmith thus
ending the exercise of running powers commenced in 1889 by the Napanee,
Tamworth and Quebec Railway over the Kingston and Pembroke tracks.
1926, July 14 - The new lumber mill, railway (Thurso and Nation Valley Railway ) and timber limits of the Singer Manufacturing Company at Thurso, Que., are inspected and formally opened by Sir Douglas Alexander, president of the Singer Manufacturing Company. Railway operations had commenced the previous year and Canadian Pacific was authorized to construct a connection with the Thurso and Nation Valley in Thurso on 21 November 1925.
1926, November 25 - Canadian Pacific relocates part of the Maniwaki subdivision between mile 13.26 and mile 14.6 for a hydro-electric scheme on the Gatineau River. The section between mile 8.12 and mile 12.67 was opened the following day while mile 14.96 to mile 15.28 was opened on 3 December.
1927, February 28 - Canadian Pacific completes the reconstruction of the Prince of Wales Bridge between Hull and Ottawa. This structure, originally completed in 1879 was replaced to allow heavier loads. The work was carried out without mishap or delay to trains.
1927, July 2 - a special train is run from
Ottawa Union station to Fenton, Michigan, to convey the body of US
aviator Lieutenant J. Thad Johnson who was killed on "Lindbergh Field"
(Uplands) while attempting to make a landing during the Diamond Jubilee
celebrations. Both the station and train were specially draped
and there were floral decorations in the mortuary car. The
arrangements amounted to what was practically a State Military funeral.
1927, July 15 - Canadian National closes the Ottawa East heavy locomotive repair shops. 61 jobs were lost with workmen exercising their seniority and going to Stratford, Montreal and Brockville. The roundhouse was retained for servicing and running repairs.
1928, late - J.R. Booth Company vacates the Piling Grounds and railway sidings on the east side of Dows Lake in order to allow the Federal District Commission to construct a Driveway. The order to vacate was intended to be effective 1 September 1927 but the company was unable to move the 14 million feet of lumber stored there until 1928. Piling grounds were still maintained by the company further to the east and accessed from the Rochester Street spur.
1930, early January - Canadian National ceases operating a passenger service between Kingston Jct. and the City of Kingston. Previously, 5 passenger trains had operated in each direction daily and 4 others daily except Sunday. The main line station, formerly known as Kingston Junction, was renamed Kingston.
1931, September 16 - Canadian National is authorized to operate over a diversion of the Beachburg subdivision between mile 35 and mile 37.5. This was required to keep the line clear of the lake formed by the Chats falls power dam.
1931, November - Canadian National
discontinues passenger service between Ottawa and Hawkesbury.
Passengers were carried on a mixed, freight train until June 1932 after
which the line became freight only.
1931, November - Canadian Pacific completes the installation of Automatic Block Signals on the Winchester subdivision between Vaudreuil and Smiths Falls.
1932, June - passenger service is discontinued on the Canadian National L'Orignal subdivision between Hawkesbury and Ottawa. A daily (except Sunday) motor car passenger train was discontinued in November 1931 and passenger traffic was handled on a semi-weekly mixed train until June 1932 when the mixed train was replaced with a weekly wayfreight service.
1933, April 2 - Pooling of Canadian National and Canadian Pacific passenger trains begins between Ottawa and Toronto. Passenger service is discontinued on the Canadian National line (trains 7, 8, 35 and 36) from Ottawa to Napanee (for the next 33 years) and the traffic is handled by Canadian Pacific to Brockville with connection to and from Canadian National trains 6 and 15.
1933, May 2 - London, Midland and Scottish Railway 4-6-0 Royal Scot and eight car train is exhibited at Ottawa on its way from Montreal to the Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago. 22,000 viewed the train which received 16,979 visitors.
1933, November 11 - The Royal Scot locomotive is exhibited at Kingston and Brockville on its return to Montreal.
1934, February 21- under the Pool Train arrangement Canadian Pacific is authorized to discontinue trains 553 and 552 between Ottawa and Bedell and trains 549 and 548 between Ottawa and Prescott.
1934, May 29- the Cornwall-Northern New York International bridge Corporation is authorized to use the Ottawa and New York (NYC) railway bridge across the St. Lawrence River between Cornwall and Nyando, NY, for pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Motor vehicles had started using the bridge on May 17.
1934, June 30 - The bridge across the St. Lawrence River at Cornwall is formally opened at a ceremony that is presided over by the Earl of Bessborough, Governor-General of Canada and George H. Dern, Secretary of War, representing Franklin D. Rooseveldt.
The Governor-General, with Lady Bessnorough, a guard of honour of the entire batallion of the Stormont-Glengarry-Dundas Highlanders, accompanied by more than 100 representative Canadians and Hon. W.D. Robbins, United States Minister to Canada, marched in an impressive parade from the Canadian shore. At the same instant the United States secretary for War and the American delegation stepped out from United States soil. Only a flimsy ribbon separated the two as they met in the centre of the bridge. This was swept away with a single gesture of the Governor-General, and the boundary between Canada and the United States was once again freed from barriers. The Governor-General and Mr. Dern shook hands after the ribbon was snapped.
1936, June 30 - Canadian National abandons between Clarence Creek and Rockland. This was authorized on 12 June 1936 under BRC order 53224. The 5.10 miles were dismantled in May 1937.
1939, May 17 - The Royal Train, carrying King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, ties up for the night at Caledonia Springs on the Canadian Pacific M&O subdivision. To give the royal couple a restfull night, between 12:01 a.m. and 8:05 a.m. other trains were not allowed to exceed ten miles per hour through the area and did not whistle for public crossings which were manually protected. Similar provisions were made at Gananoque Junction on the night of May 20-21.
1939, July 10 - Canadian National abandons
the L'Orignal subdivision, between Hawkesbury and Hurdman. This
was part of the former Canadian Northern route between Montreal and
Ottawa via Hawkesbury. Canadian National access to the Mann
Avenue yards (known as the Hurdman subdivision) was maintained from
Hurdman and across the bridge over the Rideau River.
1940, December 11 - Canadian Pacific opens a new station and greatly enlarged passenger facilities at Rigaud. The new station was blessed by Msgr. P. Sabourin, the cure of Rigaud.
1941, January 1 - New
York Central commences to use its own Mann Avenue Station
instead of the more expensive Union Station for its passenger
1941, March 31 - serious accident on the Canadian Pacific Railway at Inkerman, mile 91.1, Winchester subdivision. For an account see Branchline December 2001, page 12.
1941, April - Canadian National installs an interlocking at the drawbridge over the Rideau Canal at the east end of the Elgin Street yard. Prior to this time all trains were required to stop before proceeding over the drawbridge during the navigation season.
1941, October 1 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Point Fortune subdivision between Mando Junction, 0.3 miles west of Rigaud, and Point Fortune.
1942, December 27 - a 13 coach troop train, with Hudson 2802, runs into the rear of Canadian Pacific train 550, with Pacific 2518, at Almonte. This accident, in which 155 persons were injured and 36 killed, is the most serious to have occurred in the Ottawa area. Following an investigation, the Board of Transport Commissioners approved, on April 3, 1943, the installation of automatic signals to be installed at Almonte. Click here for a description of the wreck.
1942, February - a short spur line is constructed from the Canadian National line at Arnprior to serve the No. 37 Elementary Flying Training School, Arnprior. The spur was removed in 1955.
1942, February - a spur is constructed from the Canadian National line near Wass to serve the No. 8 Service Flying Training School at Uplands. This used the right of way of an earlier Canadian Northern Ontario line to a gravel pit in the same area.
1944, October - train service is discontinued between Whitney and Two Rivers on the Canadian National Renfrew subdivision.
1945, November - a new station is opened at Pendleton, on the Canadian Pacific M&O subdivision. This is one of four constructed (the others were at Leaside, Marathon and Whitefish Falls) to test new techniques for the carrying out of station construction delayed by the war.
1946, March 29
- fire destroys the north end of the Interprovincial Bridge.
As of this date the Hull Electric Railway ceased to
operate into the Chateau Laurier, Ottawa and turned its cars at the
intersection of Laurier Avenue and Youville Street near the north end
of the Interprovncial Bridge in Hull. For some time Canadian
Pacific was forced to reroute all train movements between Ottawa Union
and Hull first, via the Canadian national cross town tracks and
subsequently via the Sussex Street sub. and to the Prescott sub. at
1947, March 22 - Canadian Pacific completes the installation of an Automatic Block Signal System on the Chalk River subvision between Smiths Falls and Chalk River as well as an Automated Interlocking at Carleton Place.
1946, May 10 - Canadian
Pacific train #7 hits a vandalised switch at Renfrew.
1947, October - Canadian Pacific opens a new station at Smiths Falls.
1947 - with the abandonment of the Hull Electric Railway Canadian Pacific maintains access to E.B. Eddy by retaining part of the line adjacent to the former Hull Electric Railway trackage.
1950 - A plan prepared by Jacques Greber
is published. This contains much of
the Cauchon proposal although it did suggest that all rail crossings
over the Ottawa River should be concentrated over a new bridge to be
built in the area of Duck Island.
1950, March 18 - Canadian Pacific wreck at Ashton.
20 - Canadian
Pacific wreck at Churchill Avenue, Ottawa.
1951, July 17 - New York Central Railroad is authorized to reduce passenger service between Ottawa and Helena, NY to the months of November to April, inclusive, in each year.
1952, March 22 - Canadian National abandons the Renfrew subdivision between Whitney and Cache Lake and the Algonquin subdivision between Cache Lake and Algonquin Park.
1952, April 27 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to discontinue the operation of mixed trains nos. 592 and 593 between Soulanges and Cornwall. This took effect as of 23 September 1953.
1952, August 30 - Canadian National abandons the Westport subdivision between Lyn Junction and Westport, the last train was hauled by 2-6-0 86. Authority had been granted by BTC order 79236 of 18 June 1952 but abandonment was postponed until the end of August to give local residents a chance to adjust. All moveable station equipment and surplus track material was picked up by a special train which was run on 4 September 1952. Dismantlement of the track was commenced on October 6 at Westport and was completed by 8 July 1953.
1952, September 28 - A connection, known as Nepean
Junction, is installed between the Canadian National Beachburg and
Renfrew subdivisions. From this date Canadian National diverts all
Renfrew subdivision trains on to the Beachburg subdivision. Formal
authority to abandon the Renfrew subdivision from Island Park Drive to
Nepean Junction was obtained on October 29, 1952.
1953, October 11 - Derailment on the Castor Grade, near mile 59, Canadian Pacific, Maniwaki sub. The 4-6-2 locomotive 2221 and tender of Sunday evening Maniwaki to Ottawa passenger train No. 538 (one baggage car and two coaches, all of wooden construction) rolled over and several coaches derailed resulting in the deaths of engineer Richard (Dick) McNally and fireman Ken Learmont. There were no passenger injuries. (See article in 1997 Branchline).
1953, November 19 - The Walkley Line is opened between Wass and Hawthorne by Canadian National and through freight trains begin to by-pass the City.
1954, July 15 - New York Central is authorized to discontinue passenger services between Ottawa and Helena, NY.
1955, June 9 - Canadian National places in operation a Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) system which controls 28 miles of trackage in the Ottawa area.
1955, August 9 - The Canadian
National part of Walkley Yard is opened and Canadian National
transfers its freight marshalling and car repair to Walkley Yard.
1956, October 27 - last run of the Canadian National passenger train between Pembroke and Golden Lake.
1956, December 17 - Canadian Pacific opens the 4.67 mile Hilton Mines Spur from Wyman, mile 33.62, Waltham subdivision. This used the trackbed of the Pontiac and Renfrew Railway which was abandoned in 1891. A connection is also constructed at Wamo to allow trains from the Waltham line to run directly on to the Prince of Wales Bridge.
1957, February 15 - The New York Central
Railroad is abandoned between Ottawa and the international border
at Cornwall. The last train ran on 14 February hauled by diesel
1957, May 17 - Canadian National opens a 40 mile diversion of its Montréal to Toronto main line required in the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway.
1957, June 16 - last scheduled passenger trains, 612 and 613, run over the Canadian Pacific Kingston subdivision, formerly Kingston and Pembroke Railway. The last train southbound was hauled by D4 417, the last northbound was hauled by 492. A mixed train operated until June 21, 1960, after which wayfreights operated.
October 26 - Last scheduled run of a passenger train on the
Canadian Pacific Prescott subdivision with mixed trains 592 and
Ottawa and Prescott.
1957, October 31 - Canadian National Railways is authorised to acquire and operate the New York Central line in Ottawa, abandoned on February 15, for access to industries as well as the Ramsayville Spur which ran east from Hawthorne.
April 21 - Canadian National opens a new freight terminal at
Riverside and Alta Vista drives. This $300,000 building was
funded by the Federal District Commission as part of the Ottawa railway
relocation. The building was actually completed during 1957 and
commenced operation in March 1958..
1959, January 6 - Canadian National is authorized to discontinue passenger service between Hawkesbury and Glen Robertson.
1959, July 8 - Canadian Pacific authorized to discontinue passenger service between Ottawa and Waltham. The last trains ran on September 29-30, being mixed trains hauled by 6552.
1959, September 27-28 - Last regularly scheduled Canadian Pacific steam powered train out of Ottawa Union Station. This is the Waltham mixed with D4 class 4-6-0 No. 425. Unscheduled steam power was used by Canadian Pacific from time to time after this date, the last steam powered train being freight No. 76 over the M&O subdivision to Montréal on February 22, 1960 with 4-6-2 No. 1262.
1960, January 15 - Canadian National installs Centralized Traffic Control (remotely controlled electric signalling) on the Alexandria subdivision.
1960, July 29 - Canadian National abandons the former Renfrew subdivision between m. 2.5, Bayswater Avenue, and m. 2.1, Preston Street.
1960, August 28 - Canadian National is authorized to operate over a siding to serve the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario commencing at m. 0.28, Walkley Line, in the vicinity of Ridge Road.
1961, April 1 - Canadian National is authorized to abandon the Locksley subdivision, between m. 0.3, Golden Lake, and m. 19.5, Pembroke.
1961, June 26 - Canadian National is authorized to abandon:
1961, June 30 - Canadian National is authorized to discontinue passenger service between Ottawa and Barry's Bay. The last train left Ottawa at 8.10 p.m. Friday 5 July 1961.
1962, January 1 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Kingston subdivision between Calabogie and Snow Road.
1962, March 15 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to discontinue local passenger service between Ottawa and Chalk River. The last train was RDC 9114 eastbound on March 18.
1962, April 10 - Canadian National is authorized to abandon the former Renfrew subdivision between m. 0.0, Mann Avenue, or Deep Cut, to m. 1.66 Bronson Avenue. This allows for the construction of the Queensway on the site of the former crosstown tracks.
1963, January 27 - Canadian Pacific discontinues passenger trains 292, 293 and 294 between Ottawa and Maniwaki. The last train was RDC's 9105-9023 running out on January 26 and returning the following day.
1963, January 27 - A connection is installed between Canadian National and Canadian Pacific at Smyth Road. From this date Canadian National train movements used the Canadian Pacific Sussex Street subdivision between Smyth Road and Hurdman.
1963, February 3 - Canadian National discontinues operation over the drawbridge over the Rideau Canal near Isabella Street. This was made possible by the construction of a connection which allowed Canadian National passenger trains entering or leaving Union Station to turn at Hurdman rather than use the wye to the Renfrew subdivision and the Rideau canal drawbridge.
1964, January 1 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Kingston subdivision between Sharbot Lake and Tichborne.
1964, June 15 - Canadian Pacific abandons the
Sussex Street subdivision from Beechwood Avenue (m. 5.6) to the
Sussex Street yard (m. 6.7). The last train ran
through to Sussex Street on June 12 with 8469.
1964, August 21 - Canadian Pacific accident at Leonard.
1964 - The Canadian National roundhouse
at Mann Avenue is demolished.
1965, September 29 - The interchange tracks and Canadian National storage tracks between Gladstone Avenue and Somerset Street (C.P.R. Prescott sub. and C.N.R. Chaudiere branch) are taken out of service. A new interchange was located on two tracks north of O'Keefe's loading facilities, known as C.P.R. "Top End", to the north of the C.N.R. Chaudiere branch.
1965, October 30 - Canadian National and Canadian Pacific discontinue the pool passenger train service between Ottawa and Toronto.
1965, November 15 - Canadian National abandons the former Canada Atlantic line from Chaudière (m 0.31) to Ottawa West (m. 1.71). Rail service to E.B. Eddy Ottawa Mills had ceased the previous month.
1965 - the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific shops at Walkley Yard are built by the National Capital Commission.
1966, January 24 - Canadian National commences passenger service from Ottawa to Toronto via Smiths Falls and the use of running rights over the Canadian Pacific Brockville subdivision to Brockville. Canadian Pacific discontinues passenger service from Ottawa to Toronto via :
1966, May 2 - A new line (known as the Hawthorne Connection) is opened from the new M. & O. Junction to Hawthorne. This gives Canadian Pacific access to Walkley Yard and Canadian National access to the new Union Station. At the same time the Canadian Pacific M. & O. subdivision is abandoned betweem mileage 86.08 and Deep Cut mileage 86.80.
1966, June 4 - Thousand Islands Railway locomotive no. 500 is placed on display at Gananoque.
1966, June 15 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Sussex Street subdivision from Beechwood Avenue (m. 5.6) to Hurdman (m. 3.5). The last train ran on June 14 with 8446.
July 4 - Canadian Pacific D10 steam locomotive No. 1095 "The Spirit
of Sir John" is placed on display at Kingston.
1966, July 5 - The Canadian Pacific M. & O. subdivision is abandoned between the west leg of the wye at Hurdman, mileage 85.9 and Dustbane siding, mileage 85.2. Canadian Pacific passenger trains gained access to the old Union station via the Canadian National Alexandria sub. and the Hawthorne connection.
1966, July 17 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Sussex Street subdivision from Bank Street (m. 1.2) to Hurdman Tower (m. 3.5). Hurdman Tower is subsequently demolished.
1966, June 17 - Canadian National is authorized to abandon its Hurdman Line (formerly part of the Canadian Northern Ontario Railway) from Ottawa Junction, m. 0.0, to the end of track at Mann Avenue. This allowed the removal of the former Canadian Northern bridge over the Rideau River.
1966, July 29 - Canadian National is authorized to open a spur track 1.88 miles long from Portage du Fort commencing at m. 59.32 Beachburg subdivision and ending at the plant of Consolidated Pontiac Incorporated.
1966, July 31 - The new Union Station is opened. The old Union Station, along with the line across the Alexandra Bridge is closed. The last train to use this station is Canadian National no. 5 "The Panorama".
1966, August 1
- The Canadian Railway Historical Association, Ottawa Branch, leases
the Canadian National
Ramsayville Spur, formerly New York Central main line, as
a site for a possible museum/restoration site. The lease was
given up on 31 July 1972.
1966, August 4 - The Ottawa subdivision is opened between Wass Junction and Ottawa Station. Since the opening of the new Union station, five days previously trains, to and from the Smiths Falls and Beachburg subdivisions had been routed through Walkley Yard and Wass Junction..
1966, August 8 - Canadian National is authorized to abandon from Alta Vista Drive to Rideau Street.
1966, September 1 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Kingston subdivision between Sharbot Lake and Snow Road.
1966, December 14 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Montreal and Ottawa subdivision from Ottawa Union Station (m. 87.7) across the Interprovincial Bridge to Hull Beemer (m. 89.3).
1966 - Terminal Avenue freight terminals are opened.
1967, May 3 - The first train to pass through the Dows Lake tunnel is a ballast train headed by Canadian Pacific RS-3 no. 8458. The tunnel is officially opened on August 5, 1967. The last train to use the old route via the Dows lake swing bridge was train 132 for Montreal via the North Shore with RDC-3 9024 leading RDC-1 9054 on Tuesday August 1, 1967. The first service trains to use the new tunnel were the Prescott wayfreight, train 94, with 8795 (first southbound) and 8575 on the a freight from Montreal (first northbound), on the same day.
1967, June 2 - A connection is installed at Laman which allows Canadian Pacific to abandon its Maniwaki subdivision between Hull and Laman. The last run using the old trackage was #80, the southbound Maniwaki way freight. on June 1st, 1967 with 8797. On June 2nd, 1967, the first train to use the new trackage was #79 with 8766.
1967, August 8 - A connection is installed
between Canadian National and Canadian Pacific at Bells Junction.
This allows Canadian Pacfic to abandon, on August 28, 1967, the Carleton
Place subdivision between McRae Avenue (mile 1.4) and Bells
Junction (mile 8.1) leaving the section back to Ottawa West to be known
as the Carleton Spur. The last train out was work extra 8599 on
August 28, 1967 from the Franceschini Pit on the Waltham sub. to Plant
10 at Bells Corners - it arrived at Bells Corners at 11:50 and the line
was due to be abandoned at 12:00 so it returned via the Beachburg sub.
being the first Canadian Pacific train over the Canadian National line.
1967, August 28 - The connection on the Canadian Pacific Maniwaki sub. between the old Hull yard at St. Redempteur Street, Hull and the Canada Cenemt Company yard, is abandoned. It was later replaced by a new connection from the Lachute sub.
1967, October 2 - the diamond is removed at Bedell where the Canadian Pacific Winchester and Prescott subdivisions cross. The associated signal changes are completed on 12 October 1967. Plain track is laid for the Winchester subdivision while traffic on the Prescott subdivision is handled through Smiths Falls.
1967, October 28-29 - Canadian Pacific moves from Ottawa West to Walkley Yard. At 2250, locomotive 8753 took 5 units to Walkley Yard, 8569-8796-8465-8787-8574. The crew returned to Ottawa West with the yardmaster in his car. Just after midnight, October 29th, 1967, Bruce Chapman, the operator, took the train register and other documents from Ottawa West to Walkley Yard, and at 0255, the same yard crew, Ed Charron, conductor and Doug McElroy, engineer, arrived at Walkley Yard with 8580-6528-6620-7025-8027-8752-8739 and 70 empties, which cleaned out Ottawa West.
1967 - Centralized Traffic Control CTC) is installed in the Ottawa Terminals area.
1968, April 1 - Canadian Pacific yard office, roundhouse and water tank at Ottawa West are demolished.
1968, September 26 - Canadian Pacific opens a Continuous Welded Rail plant in the yard at Smiths Falls using the shells of Fairbanks Morse Erie-built units.
1970, August 1 - Canadian Pacific ceases operation of passenger trains 232-6 between Montreal and Ottawa via South Shore. Daily service was maintained by continuing operation of trains 1 and 2, "The Canadian".
1970, September 2 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Carleton Place subdivision between m. 0.84 (Ross Avenue) and m. 1.4 (McRae Avenue).
1970, December 16 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Eganville subdivision between Douglas and Eganville.
1971, July 23 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Havelock subdivision between Glen Tay and Tweed.
1973, January 30 - Canadian National opens
the 4.4 mile L'Orignal Spur with headblock at m. 19.84 Vankleek
1973, late spring/early summer - Canadian National lifts the rails on the Ramsayville Spur, formerly New York Central Railroad main line, to make way for the construction of Highway 417.
1973, July 1 - Ex-Canadian Pacific steam
4-6-0 locomotive no. 1057 makes an inaugural run in excursion
service from Ottawa to Carleton Place. 1057 was also used the next year
to Wakefield and ex-Canadian Pacific 4-6-2 no. 1201 was used in
the following years.
1974, July 11 - A turntable, originally from the CPR at Kingston, ON, is installed at Wakefield, QC, to allow steam locomotives to be turned there.
1974, August 6
- Canadian National commences running the turbotrain in regular
service between Montreal and Ottawa.
1975, July 23 - Canadian National opens a diversion of the Kingston sub. between m. 172.32 and m. 173.37 which removes the CN tracks from the downtown area.
1975, November 12 - Canadian Pacific opens a diversion of its Chalk River sub. between m. 36.7 and m. 39.9 in connection with a hydro electric scheme. This is known as Waba and the work was funded by the Ontario Government.
1975 - rails are lifted from the Brockville tunnel.
1975, July 29 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Hull Spur from m. 0.00 to m. 0.46 off the Ellwood sub. at m. 6.55. This was the section of the M&O sub. from Hull Beemer to the junction with the Lachute sub.
1977, Jan 17 - Canadian Pacific Renfrew Spur is abandoned between Renfrew Junction and Calabogie (part of the Kingston and Pembroke Railway).
1977, May 26 - Canadian National is authorized to remove the interlocking signals at the crossing of the Rideau Canal in Smiths Falls and install stop signals on each approach to the crossing.
1977, October - The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh ride behind steam locomotive 1201 between Ottawa West and Wakefield, Que. The engine crew are A. Sabourin and R. Lamothe with conductor D. Gaw and brakemen P. Robinson and S. Palmer. Bytown Railway service crew were Duncan H. duFresne, Colin J. Churcher and Robbie Millikin.
1978, November 20 - Order R-27957 allows the re-routing of VIA overnight sleeping car trains 48 and 49 between Ottawa and Toronto via Smiths Falls and Brockville instead of via Smiths Falls and direct to Napanee over the Smiths Falls sub.
1978, October 29 - Passenger service is discontinued on Canadian National Beachburg subdivision west of Federal. From this date VIA took over running the Canadian from Canadian Pacific, and combined the operation of the Canadian and the Super Continental. On the same date the overnight Ottawa-Toronto trains were rerouted to run via Brockville, instead of Napanee. This marked the end of passenger service on the Canadian National line between Smiths Falls and Napanee.
1979, April 25 - Consumers Gas is authorized to construct a self supporting pipe bridge over the Canadian National at m. 0.76, Walkley Line.
1980, February 20 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Eganville subdivision between Payne and Douglas.
1981, July 2 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Brockville Loop Line from m. 1.02 to m. 1.2.
1981, November 15 - Passenger service is discontinued on the Canadian Pacific Lachute subdivision (RDC 6102), and on the Canadian Pacific M&O subdivision between Rigaud and Ottawa. Temporary end of transcontinental passenger service through Ottawa (with VIA 6537-6614 in both directions). Local service with RDC's was commenced between Ottawa and Sudbury.
1982, March 1 - Gateway inspections commence for trains conveying dangerous commodities through the Ottawa/Hull Census Metropolitan Area.
1982, October 20 - The last part of the Canadian Pacific Carleton Spur (formerly Carleton Place sub.) is abandoned between the switch at m. 5.0 Ellwood sub and m. 0.0 (945 feet) and from Bayview Road (mile 0.00) and Ross Avenue (mile 0.84).
1983, January 31 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Kingston subdivision in Kingston between m. 101.60 and m. 101.85 and between m. 102.09 and m. 102.50 after the relocation of the trackage and switches connecting private sidings serving MacCosham Van Lines and C.E. McPherson to the Canadian National Haney Spur had been completed.
1983, December 18 - Canadian National abandons the Renfrew subdivision between Renfrew Junction and Whitney.
1984, May 29 - Last run over the Canadian Pacific Waltham subdivision between Wyman and Waltham is handled by no. 6538, the last locomotive to wear the traditional maroon and grey paint scheme.
1984, July 30 - Canadian Pacific is authorized to abandon the Ellwood Spur from m. 0.95 to m. 1.20, part of the former Sussex Street subdivision.
1985, March 26 - Canadian National abandons the Smiths Falls subdivision between Smiths Falls and Strathcona.
1985, June 1 - Transcontinental passenger service through Ottawa is restored (first westbound with VIA 6769-6626, first eastbound with VIA 6784). This replaced the local service between Ottawa and Sudbury which commenced in November 1981.
1986, January 1 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Maniwaki subdivision between Wakefield and Maniwaki.
1986, June 21 - The Thurso and Nation Valley Railway main line between Thurso and Lac Fascinant is abandoned.
1986, July 3 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Maniwaki subdivision bewteen Laman and Wakefield.
1986, August 9 - Canadian Pacific M & O subdivision is abandoned between M & O Junction and Rigaud. VIA Rail Canada takes possession of the right of way for possible use in a highspeed rail link.
1986, November 12 - Canadian National abandons the Smiths Falls subdivision between m. 34.05 and m. 35.30 in Smiths Falls.
1986, December 12 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Kingston subdivision between Tichborne and Kingston (m. 100.87 to m. 101.10 and m. 101.85 to m. 102.09 were transferred to Canadian National on the same day to allow continued service to customers in Kingston). This is the last part of the Kingston and Pembroke Railway to be abandoned.
1986, December - Canadian Pacific yard office at Walkley is demolished. This was first opened by Canadian National in 1953 as a part of the first stage of construction of Walkley Yard. It was later transferred to Canadian Pacific.
1989, January 18 - The overnight passenger train between Ottawa and Toronto is discontinued. The last train was hauled in both directions by VIA 6780.
1989, December 31 - Canadian National abandons the Renfrew subdivision between Arnprior and Renfrew.
1990, January 15 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Carleton Place subdivision between Nepean (m. 9.0) and Carleton Place (m. 28.1) with the passage of the last "Canadian" transcontinental passenger train which was hauled by VIA 6409 westbound and VIA 6443 eastbound.
1990, October - Canadian Pacific abandons the balance of the Brockville Loop Line.
1991, March 29 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Waltham subdivision between Wamo (m. 1.0) and Wyman including the Hilton Mines Spur. The last train was a snow plow with 1852-1829-1822-1844 pushing 400784. After the line was plowed they took empty hoppers to the Hilton Mine to be loaded with slag and returned with them.
1992, June - Hull, Chelsea and Wakefield Railway commences operation over the former Canadian Pacific Maniwaki subdivision between Hull and Wakefield using a Swedish steam locomotive and equipment.
1993, January 22 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Waltham subdivision between mile 0 and mile 1.0 (known as the Wamo Spur).
1993, July 31 - Canadian National abandons the Renfrew subdivision from Nepean to Arnprior, this section being acquired by the regional government and operated on its behalf by Canadian National.
1995, October 3 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Lachute subdivision east of Thurso, Que.
1995, December 25 - Canadian Pacific abandons the Cornwall subdivision.
1996, May 17 - Canadian National abandons the Beachburg subdivision from Pembroke (mile 89.20) to Nipissing (mile 215.36) through Algonquin Provincial Park. The last train ran over this line through Algonquin Park on November 24, 1995, (train 101 with CN 9551westbound and train 114 with CN 9542 eastbound) after which time trains only operated east from Pembroke to Ottawa.
1996, October 30 - Ottawa Valley RaiLink takes over operation of the former Canadian Pacific line between Smiths Falls and Cartier, Ont as well as the Mattawa to Temiskaming branch in Quebec.
1996, November 2 - Ontario L'Orignal Railway (RailTex) commences operation over the former Canadian National line between Glen Robertson, Hawkesbury and L'Orignal, Ont.
1997, September 9 - rail service is restored to the E.B. Eddy paper mill in Hull. Some two years earlier, changes in the mill eliminated the need for rail service and all plant trackage and the connection to the Canadian Pacific Waltham subdivision, which had used the former Hull Electric Railway right-of-way, trackage and bridge over the Lachute subdivision at Hull, were removed. As the Waltham subdivision had also been lifted, access to the plant was regained by means of a spur connecting with the Lachute subdivision at the north end of the Prince of Wales Bridge. One storage siding was built on the site of the former six track yard and two delivery sidings were built, one interior and one exterior, on the mill site west of the intersection of Tache Boulevard and Montcalm Street. On September 9 business car "Lacombe" became the first railborne visitor to the new trackage.
1997, November 11 - Quebec Gatineau Railway takes over the operation of the former Canadian Pacific Lachute subdivision between Outremont Yard and Hull and reopens the section between St-Augustin and Thurso abandoned in October 1995. On November 10, Canadian Pacific locomotives 4231 and 4240 (C-424) hauled the last loads off the Thurso to Hull section and the next morning moved the traffic to Smiths Falls for the last time.
1997, November 11 - With no customers remaining in Ottawa, Canadian Pacific presence in Ottawa comes to an end with the last train on the SL&H (CP) Prescott subdivision between a point north of Kemptville and Leitrim Road 20.13 miles) on the southern edge of the Macdonald Cartier Airport (Ottawa). This was the first line to enter Ottawa, then Bytown, in 1854.
1998, January 6-8 - a serious Ice Storm blankets eastern Ontario and Quebec and the railway system in the triangle Ottawa - Kingston - Drummmondville is virtually shut down. A long term casualty of the storm is the Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) signal system on the Alexandria subdivision which would have cost some $6 million to restore. This system, installed in January 1960, is converted to the computer assisted Occupancy Control System (OCS). The existing CTC system is retained for the Ottawa Terminal and between Coteau and De Beaujeu.
1998, June 10 - Canadian National concludes an agreement to convey the Alexandria subdivision, between Coteau and Hawthorne, to VIA Rail Canada. Canadian National retained exclusive rights to operate local and overhead freight upon running rights payments to VIA.
1998, December 13 - Ottawa Central Railway, a subsidiary of RailLink's Quebec Railway Corporation, commences operation over the Canadian National Beachburg subdivision between Ottawa and Pembroke as well as the Walkley line in Ottawa. The Ottawa Central also received running rights over the Alexandria subdivision between Ottawa and Coteau. Canadian National's presence in Ottawa comes to an end with the running of train 440 on December 11 hauled by locomotives 7033 and 7015.
1999, March 1 - an arm of Genessee Rail-One called Railterm takes over the train dispatching of the Huron Central, Quebec Gatineau, and VIA owned or leased trackage from De Beaujeu, mile 7.5 Alexandria Subdivision to Hawthorne, mile 72.7 and between Federal, mile 0.0 Smiths Falls Subdivision to Smiths Falls East, mile 34.5. The RTC centre is in Outremont, QC.
1999, May - the Canadian Pacific Prescott subdivision is abandoned and rails removed between Leitrim Road and Kemptville.
2000, October 2 - VIA Rail Canada operates the funeral train of the Right Honourable Pierre Elliot Trudeau from Ottawa to Montreal. It ran as a passenger extra with VIA units 6433 and 6436 and VIA club cars 4007, 4008 and 4009 with dome observation car 8718 "Yoho Park" bringing up the rear. The train left Ottawa at 08:50 and was observed by many people along the route. A CBC helicopter followed overhead. At the request of Mr. Trudeau's family the train slowed down at many towns, villages and settlements along the route to greet wellwishers.
2000, December 23 - The Ottawa Central Railway purchases the Ontario L'Orignal Railway. The effective date of the transfer is the first week of January 2001.
2001, October 15 - O Train service commences between Bayview and Greenboro stations using Talent diesel mechanical railcars over the former Bytown and Prescott/St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway line opened in 1854 and 1871.
2002, July - rails are removed from the South Freight Shed Lead between the Alta Vista Freight Terminal and the switch leading to the Canada Science and Technology Museum. It was part of the Canada Atlantic Railway main line opened in 1882. By this time, the North freight Shed Lead has been removed from the Alcan siding, between Walkley Road and Leeds Avenue, to the Alta Vista Freight Terminal. This was part of the former Ottawa and New York Railway (later New York Central) main line which was opened in 1898.
2002, October 27 - VIA opens a new, $1.2
million, station at Fallowfield to serve passengers living in
the west end of the city travelling to and from Brockville and points
west. The first train was No. 43 headed for Toronto hauled by VIA
Genesis locomotive No. 920. At the same time, VIA
introduces a faster schedule between Montreal and Ottawa and reinstalls
Centralized Traffic Control over the Alexandria subdivision which
had been out of use since January 1998.
2004, December 2 - the City of Ottawa agrees to purchase the Canadian Pacific corridor from the Prince of Wales bridge, through the Dows Lake Tunnel and along the Ellwood subdivision to Leitrim Road for O Train expansion. The cost for this 13 km. stretch of line is $12.6.
2005, May 1 -
the VIA passenger train schedule between Ottawa and Montreal is
augmented. The first morning departure from Ottawa to Montreal
originates from Fallowfield, at 6:23 a.m. Likewise, the train
departing Montreal at 4:45 p.m. terminates at Fallowfield at 6:55 p.m.
2005, May 2 - Ottawa Central suffers a main track collision at Maxville which resulted in the release of 98,000 gallons of denatured alcohol. Approximately 200 residents were evacuated for eight hours. Click here to see the Transportation Safety Board Report # R02/2006.
2005, July 4 -
CN freight #786 derailed near Prescott derailing 51 empty tank cars.
There were no injuries
but both main lines were blocked.
Last updated on 23 April 2006.