Plumas County

Biographies


 

Robert M. Blakemore

 

Among the thousands whom the golden magnet drew to this coast, none had more true nobility of character than Blakemore. He was a Virginian by birth, received a fair English education in his native state, and in the company of B. F. Washington and J. E. N. Lewis, came to this state in 1849. He was unsuccessful in mining, and began packing goods to the northern mines. In 1855 he formed a partnership with Richard Irwin, and purchased the mercantile establishment of Clark, Wagner, & Co., on Rich bar, east branch of Feather. While in business here, one of his former schoolmates came from Nevada, took sick, and died. Blakemore was very much attached to his friend, and after the burial, took a mule and went eight miles up the river, where he quarried out several slabs of slate. These he packed back, and with chisels made by the village blacksmith of the period, he worked out a tombstone to mark the last resting place of the deceased. Three weeks were consumed in this part of the work. The slabs were carefully bolted together with iron bolts, and on the face was inscribed, “Edward Davis, of Jefferson Co., Va.” Around the grave Blakemore constructed a stone wall and wood palings before the last offices prompted by friendship were completed. Some years later a stone-cutter came along that way, and remarked to his friends, “Boys, the man is a master of his art.” Blakemore went back to Virginia in 1865. Upon his departure, he gave all his business interests to his partner, instead of selling out. In 1866 he was in New Orleans in business, when he took the yellow fever and died.

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 250

Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


 

Thomas Hughes

 

Mr. Hughes is the son of Richard and Mary (Jones) Hughes, and was born in Wales, May 13, 1830. In his boyhood he followed gardening, and the age of seventeen emigrated to the United States and settled at East Dennis, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. There he lived until 1854, when he came to San Francisco, and engaged in gardening in what is now the heart of the city. In 1855 he was mining on Rush creek. In 1857 he mined at Soda bar, on the east branch, and also opened a store and public house, which he kept until 1868. In the autumn of 1869 he purchased from M. D. Smith the Meadow valley hotel and ranch of 320 acres on which he now resides. Mr. Hughes is now in the dairying business, has thirty cows, and makes 3,000 pounds of butter annually. He is the postmaster at Meadow valley. Mr. Hughes was married April 24, 1854, to Elizabeth Pary, by whom he had two children; viz., Brainard B., born November 18, 1857; Mary L., born August 18, 1859 at Soda bar, now the wife of E. E. Philips of Meadow valley, and mother of one child, Verbenia, born March 6, 1881. Mr. Hughes is a member of Quincy Lodge No. 88, I. O. O. F. He comes of a long-lived family, and will doubtless live to a good old age.

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 252-253

Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


 

W. M. Pratt

 

He was born in Wayne county, New York, and removed to Plumas county, California, in 1875. For some years he has been in the employ of Plumas Eureka mine, working in the Mohawk mill. Mr. Pratt is a member of Mohawk Lodge No. 292, I. O. O. F.

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 246

Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


 

William Elwell

 

This gentleman is a son of Joseph M. and Susan Elwell, and was born in the city of Philadelphia January 28, 1821. When about 22 years of age he removed to Louisiana, and in May, 1850, to California; and has been engaged in mining ever since. For a number of years he was superintendent of the 76 mine, now the Plumas. He, in company with J. W. Hill, owns the Squirrel creek gravel-mines. He is one of about sixteen veterans of the Mexican war now residing in Plumas county. Mr. Elwell is a member of Hope Masonic Lodge No. 294, at Beckwourth; also a Royal Arch Mason, and a life member of the council at Marysville.

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 245

Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


BACK TO PLUMAS COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES INDEX PAGE