Plumas County

Biographies


 

Charles Ruppert

 

He was born in Gaollheim, Bavaria, September 14, 1829. He came to the United States in 1838, with his grandparents, and to California in 1855, having spent the intervening time in New York. Upon his arrival in this state he commenced mining, which he continued for two years, when he engaged in cooking until 1861. Upon the first call for army volunteers, he enlisted in the first California regiment, and served three years in Arizona and New Mexico. In 1870 he entered the kitchen department of the Plumas House, Quincy, in which he has since been engaged. He is a member of the Masonic blue lodge and chapter, and of the Odd Fellows.

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 286
Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


 

Dixon Brabban

 

was born in England, at New Castle on Tine, April 13, 1829. At the age of twenty-four he came to the United States, remained two years in the east, and then came to California, via Nicaragua, landing at San Francisco in May, 1855. During the year he mined at various places, and in 1856 came to La Porte, then in Sierra county, since which time he has been extensively engaged in mining and merchandising. In 1848 he was married to Miss Margaret Fairley of England, who died in the following year. January 14, 1861, he was again married to Miss Elizabeth Brown of England, by whom he has had nine children: May (deceased), Maggie, Lizzie, Isabella (deceased), James, Annie, Susie, Nellie, and the baby. Mr. Brabban is a member of Jefferson Lodge, F. &. A. M., of La Porte; Alturas Chapter No. 34, R. A. M., of Quincy; Marysville Commandery No. 7; and of Alturas Lodge No. 80, I. O. O. F., of La Porte.

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 292-293
Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


 

Charles C. Thomas

 

He was a native of Maryland, and came overland to California in 1849, as a member of the Charlestown company from Virginia, in which were the late B. F. Washington and Joseph E. N. Lewis. They arrived in Sacramento in September; and Thomas, with a portion of the company, engaged in mining at Bidwell’s bar. Subsequently he was at American bar, on the Middle Feather. In the early spring of 1851 McElvaney, Thomas, & Co. erected the first store and hotel in Onion valley. The firm also built stores at Gibsonville, and at the forks of Poorman’s and Hopkins creeks. They were among the original members of the company that opened and worked the celebrated Eureka quartz-mine, and of the company that constructed the first flumes to drain the river at Rich bar, east branch of the north fork. Mr. Thomas was elected a member of the assembly in the fall of 1852, representing the Plumas portion of Butte county, and served one session. He retired from business in Onion valley in 1854, and left the state in 1862, going to Nevada, where he held important positions in the mines, and is now superintendent of the Sutro Tunnel Company. 

 

SOURCE:  Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850. –
 Fariss and Smith, San Francisco,  1882. p 293
Transcribed by Craig Hahn, Dec. 2004

 


BACK TO PLUMAS COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES INDEX PAGE