George Benson Waterfront Streetcar Line
Metro Route 99
Ongoing improvements to downtown's north waterfront area, including construction of the Olympic Sculpture Park and work on the northern end of the seawall, have necessitated the temporary suspension of the George Benson Line Waterfront Streetcar vintage Trolley service.
Metro is providing replacement service with special Route 99 Waterfront Streetcar Line buses. Bus routing and stop locations do not exactly duplicate the Streetcar, however the same neighborhoods are served - the Waterfront, Pioneer Square and Chinatown/International District.
Look for the bus that is "wrapped" to look like a Streetcar. (See below)
About the Streetcars
Two 1928 Australian streetcars began service along Elliott Bay between Pier 70 and Main Street in 1982. Three more streetcars joined the fleet between 1990 and 1993 when the line was extended to the International District.
The streetcars were brought from Melbourne, Australia, and feature Tasmanian mahogany and white ash woodwork, capturing the elegance of travel in a bygone era.
They are meticulously maintained, and can accommodate 52 seated and 40 standing passengers. The streetcars-and stations-are fully accessible.
The waterfront streetcar line is named after George Benson, former City of Seattle and Metro Council member. Known as the "father of the Waterfront Streetcar," Benson was the driving force behind the implementation of the historic streetcar line.
In commemoration of his leadership and vision, the streetcar line was officially named the George Benson Waterfront Streetcar Line ("The Benson Line") by King County Executive Ron Sims on June 1, 2002.