Skip to main content Access keys help
bbc.co.uk
Home
TV
Radio
Talk
Where I Live
A-Z Index
BBC NewsWATCH/LISTEN TO BBC NEWS
UK version International version About the versions|Low graphics|Help|Contact us
LANGUAGES
Last Updated: Sunday, 11 June 2006, 07:15 GMT 08:15 UK
Terror raid pair may sue police
Raided property
Officers continue to stand guard outside the raided house
Two men released without charge after an anti-terror raid in east London are to take legal action, it is reported.

Abul Koyair, 20, and his brother Mohammed Abdul Kahar, 23, who was shot, will sue the Met, their solicitor Gareth Peirce told the Observer.

Other papers speculate the pair, from Forest Gate, could claim up to £500,000 in damages for their ordeal.

The police have defended their tactics as the Independent Police Complaints Commission investigates the shooting.

Meanwhile Muslim groups are to protest on Sunday against the raid's "heavy-handed" approach.

The men, who had been held for a week under the Terrorism Act 2000 and questioned on suspicion of terrorism involvement, were released without charge on Friday after police found no trace of a chemical device at their home.

The pair had been arrested after a raid by some 250 officers on a terraced house in Lansdown Road, Forest Gate.

'Emotional damage'

Ms Peirce, who is acting for the family, told the Observer the two brothers would now be launching a legal action for damages against the Metropolitan Police.

"It will not be enough; the emotional damage will be enormous. In similar cases, some individuals never recover from an incident like this," she said.

The question the community raises is the genuineness of the intelligence
Mohammed Abdul Bari
Muslim Council of Britain

"Nobody identified themselves as police as they stormed in wearing terrifying black hoods and started bashing them over the head.

"They only realised they were officers when they saw the word 'police' on their backs."

According to reports in the Sunday Times and the Sunday Telegraph the brothers could claim up to £500,000 in compensation for Mr Kahar's injuries and for libel damages.

Meanwhile the largest of demonstrations on Sunday is expected to take place outside Scotland Yard.

'No choice'

Organisations including the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), the Muslim Association of Britain, and the Islamic Human Rights Commission, are among those expected to be represented.

The MCB's secretary general Mohammed Abdul Bari, who visited Forest Gate on Saturday, told BBC News he was relieved the men had been freed, but that it was important for Muslims to continue to work with the police.

Dr Bari (left) with police at Forest Gate
The MCB's Muhammad Abdul Bari visited Forest Gate

"In 7/7, many of them were blown apart, and one of the girls, Saharia Islam, was a regular worshipper in our mosque, in the East London Mosque, so we are Londoners. And anything happens in London, one-tenth of the population are from the Muslim population, so they are affected."

He said police had to work with the community to rebuild trust.

Met Assistant Commissioner Andy Hayman has already apologised for disruption caused by the raid but has stressed police had no choice but to act on "very specific intelligence".

He said the force would "continue to engage with all communities and respond to issues that are raised".




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


banner watch listen bbc sport Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific