HistoryLink Interactive Map

Search Encyclopedia

Northeast Seattle: Only a handful of farmers and loggers settled north of Portage Bay prior to 1880. Development of the future University District was launched by the relocation of the University of Washington from downtown to its present campus in 1895. Early developers David Denny and James Moore platted the area, and John C. Olmsted guided the first planning for the new UW Campus and vicinity. The planned communities of Laurelhurst, Windermere, and Hawthorne Hills followed as the population expanded north along Lake Washington toward Sand Point, a former airport and U.S. Navy air station partially transformed into Magnuson Park. More modest inland neighborhoods such as Wedgwood and View Ridge bloomed during and after World War II.

To learn more, search HistoryLink essays by keyword or click the files below:

Laurelhurst
University District
Roosevelt & Ravenna
Wedgwood
View Ridge
Sand Point Magic Lantern
1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition Magic Lantern


22 University Library
18 Northeast Library

1 Burke Museum of Natural History & Culture