national book critics circle
NBCC Awards Finalists
- Robert Fisk, The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East (Alfred A. Knopf).
- Ellen Meloy, Eating Stone: Imagination and the Loss of the Wild (Pantheon).
- Caroline Moorehead, Human Cargo: A Journey Among Refugees (Henry Holt).
- Anthony Shadid, Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War (Henry Holt).
- Carolyn Burke, Lee Miller: A Life (Alfred A Knopf).
- Jonathan Coe, Like a Fiery Elephant: The Story of B. S. Johnson (Continuum International).
- Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (Simon & Schuster).
- Ron Powers, Mark Twain: A Life (Free Press). See the NBCC citation on this book.
- Hal Crowther, Gather at the River: Notes from the Post-millenial South (Louisiana State University Press).
- Arthur Danto, Unnatural Wonders (Farrar, Straus & Girroux). See the NBCC citation on this book.
- John Updike, Still Looking: Essays on American Art (Alfred A. Knopf). See the NBCC citation on this book.
- Eliot Weinberger, What Happened Here: Bush Chronicles (New Directions).
Nona Balakian Citation for Excellence in Reviewing:
- Stacey D'Erasmo
- Claire Dederer
- Andrew O'Hagan
- Thomas Powers
- Stacy Schiff
- Monica Ali, Brick Lane (Scribner)
- Caryl Phillips, A Distant Shore (Knopf)
- Richard Powers, The Time of Our Singing (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
- Tobias Wolff, Old School (Knopf)
- Caroline Alexander, The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty (Viking)
- Anne Applebaum, Gulag (Doubleday)
- Adrian Nicole LeBlanc, Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble and Coming of Age in the Bronx (Scribner)
- William T. Vollmann, Rising Up and Rising Down (McSweeney's)
- Carolyn Forche, Blue Hour (HarperCollins)
- Tony Hoagland, What Narcissism Means To Me (Graywolf)
- Venus Khoury-Ghata, She Says (Graywolf)
- Mary Szybist, Granted (Alice James Books)
- Jeffrey Eugenides, Middlesex (Farrar, Straus & Giroux) See NBCC commentary on this book
- Alexander Hemon, Nowhere Man (Doubleday/Nan A. Talese)
- William Kennedy, Roscoe (Viking)
- Edith Templeton, The Darts of Cupid and Other Stories (Pantheon)
- Chris Hedges, War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning (Public Affairs)
- William Langewiesche, American Ground: Unbuilding the World Trade Center (FSG/North Point Press)
- Richard Rodriguez, Brown: The Last Discovery of America (Viking). See NBCC commentary on this book.
- Gaby Wood, Edison's Eve: A Magical History of the Quest for Mechanical Life (Knopf) See NBCC commentary on this book.
- Robert A. Caro, Master of the Senate: The Years of Lyndon Johnson (Knopf)
- Elizabeth Gilbert, The Last American Man (Viking)
- Edmund S. Morgan, Benjamin Franklin (Yale University Press)
- Mark Zwonitzer with Charles Hirshberg, Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone? The Carter Family and Their Legacy in American Music (Simon & Schuster)
- Major Jackson, Leaving Saturn (University of Georgia Press)
- Harryette Mullen, Sleeping with the Dictionary (University of California Press)
- Sharon Olds, The Unswept Room (Knopf)
- Adam Zagajewski, Without End: New and Selected Poems (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
- Philip Ball, Bright Earth: Art and the Invention of Color (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
- Julia Blackburn, Old Man Goya (Pantheon)
- Christopher Ricks, Reviewery (Other Press/Handsel Books)
- Charles Rosen, Piano Notes: The World of the Pianist (Free Press)