Footnotes

Up
Before 1914
The Great War
Otter Committee
1936
1939
1945
Kennedy Report
National Survival
Suttie Commission
1969
2001
Bibliography
Footnotes

Back

Check below!

 

 

Click the town names below to see where they are found in the Yukon Territory, Southern Alberta and South Eastern British Columbia, Canada

Armstrong Ashcroft Athalmer Banff Blairmore Calgary Chase Coldstream Cranbrook Creston Elko Enderby Fernie Fort Steele Golden Grand Forks Hosmer Kamloops Kaslo Kelowna Kimberley Langley Prairie Lethbridge Lower Nicola Lumby Lytton Merritt Michel Nelson Penticton Prince George Quesnel Revelstoke Rossland Salmon Arm Trail Vancouver Vernon Victoria Walhachin Whitehorse Williams Lake

 

1  Militia General Orders (G.O.) G.O. 67 / 1898, 1 July 1898.  This General Order also authorized the formation of the "Vernon Mounted Rifles" with its headquarters in Vernon, however, it was never stood up.  A comprehensive review of the reasons why this did not happen - and the vicissitudes of organizing Militia units in the 19th century - are contained in the first chapter of R.H. Roy's "Sinews of Steel (The History of the British Columbia Dragoons)".  While reference to the "Vernon Mounted Rifles" is included in the Militia List in the editions of 1st October 1898, 1st January 1899, 1st April 1899 and 1st July 1899, no mention of this unit is made in the 1st October 1899 and subsequent editions.

2  G.O. 130 / 1899, 1 December 1899.  It should be noted that prior to 1914 the peace establishment of an infantry company consisted of only 42 officers and men, commanded by a Captain.  As a rule there were eight such companies in a Canadian Militia infantry battalion.  (G.O. 58 / 1907, 2 April 1907 - see also A and B as this order had to be broken up to display)  By comparison, the war establishment of one of the eight rifle companies in the Canadian Militia Field Formations in 1914 was 120 all ranks.  This would change in the late fall of that year when the four company structure was adopted and there would be 240 all ranks in each company. (Love, D.W.  A Call To Arms: The Organization and Administration of Canada's Military In World War One  (Winnipeg: 1919) pp. 21 and 25 to 26)

3  G.O.172 / 1904, 1 December 1904

4  G.O. 59 / 1908, 1 April 1908

5  G.O. 64 / 1908, 1 April 1908

6  Ibid.

7  G.O. 123 / 1908, 1 June 1908

8  The change from numeric designation of companies in 'rural regiments' of infantry was authorized by G.O. 29 / 1907, 1 March 1907.  "The Quarterly Militia List of the Dominion of Canada - Corrected to 1st January, 1907" shows infantry companies as "No. 1 Co.", "No. 2 Co.", etc., and the change is reflected in the next edition of this list (Corrected to 1st April 1907) where companies are shown as "a Co.", "b Co.", etc.

9  G.O. 59 / 1908, 1 April 1908

10  G.O. 64 / 1908, 1 April 1908.  There were 76 officers and men in the establishment of an independent cavalry squadron (G.O. 58 / 1907, 2 April 1907 - see also (A), (B).

11  G.O. 119 / 1908, 1 June 1908

12  G.O. 75 / 1909, 1 June 1909

13  G.O. 73 / 1909, 1 June 1909

14  G.O. 40 / 1910, 1 April 1910

15  G.O. 38 / 1910, 1 April 1910

16  G.O. 39 / 1910, 1 April 1910

17  G.O. 52 / 1911, 1 April 1911

18  G.O. 199 / 1911, 1 December 1911

19  G.O. 198 / 1911, 1 December 1911

20  G.O. 39 / 1912, 1 April 1912

21  G.O. 74 / 1912, 15 April 1912

22  G.O. 40 / 1912, 1 March 1912

23  "Wallachin" is the spelling used by both General Orders and the Quarterly Militia Lists, but a query to either the Natural Resources Canada / Geomatics Canada website  or the BC Geographical Names Information System website will result in a reply of "No records exist or your query was incorrectly typed".  The Commanding Officer of the 31st Regiment, British Columbia Horse, in his post-Great War unit history refers to "Walhachin" (Flick, Lieutenant Colonel C.L.  A Short History Of The 31st British Columbia Horse.  (Victoria: 1922) pp. 13-14.).  Walhachin is presently an unincorporated area to the West of Kamloops on the Thompson River.

24  G.O. 40 / 1912, 1 March 1912

25  G.O. 83 / 1912, 1 May 1912

26  G.O. 157 / 1912, 3 September 1912

27  G.O. 158 / 1912, 3 September 1912

28  G.O. 159 / 1912, 3 September 1912

29  GO. 103 / 1912, 1 June 1912

30  G.O. 67 / 1913, 15 April 1913

31  G.O. 138 / 1913, 15 August 1913

32  G.O. 180 / 1913, 15 August 1913

33  G.O. 42 / 1914, 16 March 1914

34  G.O. 150 / 1914, 15 September 1914

35  G.O. 202 / 1914, 15 December 1914

36  G.O. 80a / 1914, 1 May 1914. A map showing the battalion organization is here. Map It should be noted that these orders are backdated and were issued in August 1914 after the start of the First World War.

37  G.O. 179 / 1914, 2 November 1914

38  G.O. 51 / 1915, 15 April 1915

39  G.O. 41 / 1917, 16 April 1917.  The transfer was authorized with effect from 19 November 1914.

40  G.O. 8 / 1915, 6 February 1915 A map showing the battalion organization is here. Map

41  G.O. 138a / 1915, 15 November 1915 A map showing the battalion organization is here. Map

42  G.O. 33 / 1916, 1 April 1916 A map showing the battalion organization is here. Map

43  Information drawn from "The Quarterly Militia List of the Dominion of Canada (corrected to 1st January 1918)"

44  Goodspeed, D.J., Lieutenant-Colonel, ed.  The Armed Forces of Canada 1867 - 1967 A Century of Achievement (Ottawa, 1967), p. 93.  The peace establishment of the Militia was to be over 140,000.

45  An example of this change is found at G.O. 185 / 1920, 1 November 1920, that states, in part: "Reserve Regiments will not, for the present, be limited in establishment, either in Officers, Warrant Officers, N.C.O.'s or Other Ranks."

46  G.O. 26 / 1920, 15 March 1920 and 15 March 1920a

47  Ibid.

48  G.O. 30 / 1920, 15 March 1920 (see part 2 here),

49  Ibid.

50  G.O. 30 / 1922, 15 February 1922

51  G.O. 184 / 1920, 1 November 1920, directed that cavalry regiments would consist of three sabre squadrons.

52  G.O. 43 / 1922, 1 March 1922, lists only the headquarters, "A" and "B" squadrons of the 1st Regiment, B.C.M.R

53  G.O. 122 / 1922, 1 July 1922, authorized the localization of "C" Squadron in Penticton.

54  G.O. 33 / 1926, 1 May 1926

55  G.O. 34 / 1929, 15 March 1929

56  G.O. 135 / 1921, 1 May 1921, lists only the headquarters, "A" and "C" squadrons of 5 Horse - the localization of "B" Squadron was not detailed.

57  This is the result of comparing Quarterly Militia Lists to General Orders of the early 1920s.  As stated, G.O. 135 / 1921 lists only �A� Squadron in Kamloops and �C� Squadron in Merritt.  Throughout its history, �A� Squadron served in Kamloops. The Militia Lists of the Dominion of Canada for 1922 and 1924 show �B� Squadron in Merritt and �C� Squadron in Langley Prairie (the 1923 edition of the list has not been found). The 1925 Militia List (corrected to 31 December 1924), however, shows �B� Squadron in Vancouver and �C� Squadron in Merritt. It is assumed that the change of sub-unit titles and the move of the squadron in Langley Prairie to Vancouver were associated � noting that during the First World War the squadron in Vancouver was �B� and the one in Langley Prairie was �C�. The reallocation of squadron titles in 1924 would then be on an historical basis, with the squadron in Merritt continuing to be the �junior� squadron of the regiment.

58  G.O. 151 / 1932, 15 November 1932

59  G.O. 43 / 1922, 1 March 1922

60  G.O. 146 / 1928, 1 August 1928

61  G.O. 43 / 1922, 1 March 1922

62  G.O. 3 / 1933, 15 January 1933

63  G.O. 119 / 1934, 1 January 1934

64  Goodspeed, op. cit., p. 95.  The peace establishment was to be 86,000.  (Nicholson, G.W.L.  The Gunners of Canada - The History of The Royal Regiment Of Canadian Artillery, Volume II 1919 - 1967.  (Toronto, 1972), p. 595. After the dust had settled in 1937 the �new� order of battle for the Non-Permanent Active Militia was published in G.O. 122 / 1937 (dated 22 July 1937).  Excerpts pertaining to Military District No. 11 (the province of British Columbia) are available here: GO 122 1937 pt 1, GO 122 1937 pt 2, GO 122 1937 pt 3.

65  G.O. 177 / 1936, 5 December 1936

66  G.O. 178 / 1936, 5 December 1936

67  G.O. 168 / 1936, 1 December 1936

68  Regimental Headquarters moved back to Vernon with effect from 7 August 1940 (G.O. 211 / 1940, 19 September 1940)

69  This localization is detailed in G.O. 122 / 1937, 22 July 1937.  See footnote 64 above.

70  G.O. 75 / 1939, 1 June 1939 (see - A and B)

71  This localization of the 24th (Kootenay) Field Brigade, R.C.A. was authorized by G.O. 197 / 1936, 9 December 1936.

72  This designation was authorized by G.O. 60 / 1938, 1 May 1938.

73  It should be noted that G.O. 168 / 1936, 1 December 1936, authorized the 'localization' of the headquarters of The Rocky Mountain Rangers to Salmon Arm effective 15 December 1936, but it was moved back to Kamloops with effect from 6 October 1937 by G.O. 182 / 1937 (15 December 1937)

74  G.O. 135 / 1939, 1 September 1939 lists over 400 serials at "Schedule 'D' - Schedule of Corps Named to Form Part of the Active Militia and to Form the Canadian Active Service Force",  The 111th Field Battery is at serial 17, the 108th Field Battery (H) at serial 82, the 109th Field Battery at serial 167 and the 107th Field Battery at serial 216.

75  G.O. 236 / 1941, 1 October 1941

76  Roy, R.H.  Sinews of Steel - The History of The British Columbia Dragoons.  (Brampton, Ontario, 1965), p. 443.

77  G.O. 194 / 1941, 4 September 1941

78  G.O. 52 / 1943, 29 January 1943

79  G.O. 156 / 1943, 16 April 1943

80  G.O. 115 / 1946, 13 May 1946

81  G.O. 116 / 1946, 13 May 1946

82 Goodspeed, op. cit., p. 213.  "... a Reserve Force of approximately 180,000 all ranks was proposed.  This would provide six divisions, four armoured brigades and necessary corps and army troops for an army of two corps."

83  For example, the 8th Provost Company was stood up in Vancouver with sections in Victoria and Vernon.

84  On 04 February 1949, the 9th Reconnaissance Regiment (The British Columbia Dragoons) was redesignated "The British Columbia Dragoons (9th Reconnaissance Regiment)".  On 19 May 1958, The British Columbia Dragoons (9th Reconnaissance Regiment) was redesignated "The British Columbia Dragoons"  (The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army (Volume I of the Canadian Army List), 1964)

85  The date of the of the move of the Regimental Headquarters from Cranbrook is not known. G.O. 143 / 1946, 1 June 1946 advised that effective 31st March 1946 "Locations and changes of locations (of units and sub-units) will not, therefore, be notified as heretofore in General Orders." The Canadian Army Command and Location List (300-5-46 (9223) H.Q.S. 8948-2, 20 Mar 46) shows the Headquarters, 24th Field Regiment in Trail.

86  CAO 76-3 (Supplement Issue 48/62) dated 23rd February 1948

87  On 01 April 1946, the 108th Field Battery (Howitzer) was converted and redesignated (by G.O. 115 / 1946 � see footnote 80 above) "108th Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled), RCA" and allocated to the Calgary-based 41st Anti-Tank Regiment (Self-Propelled), RCA.  In 1951 it was decided to move this battery to Banff, Alberta.  The battery would be included in the organization of the "41st" until this unit was amalgamated with two others in 1954 to form the "South Alberta Light Horse" (CAO 76-3 (Part "B" Supplement to Canadian Army Orders - Issue 415) dated 29 Nov 54).

88  As shown in "The Canadian Army List, 1st Edition, Part II - Reserve Force, 1 July, 1948"

89  Except where otherwise noted, the reference for the location of companies and platoons of The Rocky Mountain Rangers is from the appropriate annual historical report submitted by that unit.

90 SD1 Letter No 58/64, 15 Sep 58

91 Ibid.

92 Ibid.

93  Army Headquarters HQC 2001-603/R8 (SD 1A) dated 26 February 1964

94  SD 1 Letter No 58/64, 15 Sep 58

95  SD 1 Letter 64/53 dated 26 Nov 65 - BC Area

96  The Canadian Army List, 1st Edition, Part II � Reserve Force, 1 July, 1948.  A good description of the post Second World War reorganization of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers is found in Chapter XII of K.J. Holmes� �The History of the Canadian Military Engineers: Volume III, to 1971�.  In 1947 the Reserve Force sapper units' organizational basis was changed from a divisional engineer structure to one consisting primarily of field engineer regiments.  Ten field engineer regiments were formed � six to support the Reserve Force divisions and four to be corps troops � each consisting of three field squadrons and one field park squadron.  44th Field Squadron in Trail became part of the 7th Field Engineer Regiment, along with 6th Field Squadron in North Vancouver, 22nd Field Squadron in New Westminster and the 54th Field Park Squadron in Vancouver (Regimental Headquarters was in Vancouver).  As noted above, the �17th� was organized as an independent unit, but became part of the 8th Field Engineer Regiment in the 1950s.  Other than the 17th Field Squadron, the 8th Field Engineer Regiment was located in southern Alberta with its headquarters in Lethbridge.

97  Annual Historical Report of the 44th Field Engineer Squadron RCE CA (RF), Trail, B.C., 31 March 1949

98  Holmes, Kenneth John,  The History of the Canadian Military Engineers: Volume III, to 1971.  (Toronto, 1997), p.254.

99  Ibid., p. 255.

100  Nicholson, op. cit., p. 596.

101  "Inter sub Headquarters, 24 Militia Group" commenced operations effective 1 October 1961.

102  CAO 110-3 (Part "B" Supplement to Canadian Army Orders - Issue 744) dated 15 Apr 63

103  Holmes, op, cit., p. 255.

104  CAO 76-3 (Part "B" Supplement to Canadian Army Orders - Issue 62) dated 23rd February 1948

105  18th Field Regiment (Self Propelled) "Annual Historical Report for the Year Ending 31 December 1958"

106  CAO 76-3 (Part "B" Supplement to Canadian Army Orders - Issue 458) dated 26 Sep 55

107  Roy, op. cit., p. 435.

108  CAO 76-3 (Part "B" Supplement to Canadian Army Orders - Issue 670) dated 13 Jun 60

109 CAO 76-3 (Part "B" Supplement to Canadian Army Orders - Issue 740) dated 18 Feb 63

110  Report of the Commission on the Reorganization of the Canadian Army (Militia) (Appendix A, Part I), (Ottawa, 1964) pp. 42-45.

111  The militia's strength in 1964 was approximately 45,000.  Goodspeed, op. cit., pp. 218-219.

112  Report of the Commission on the Reorganization of the Canadian Army (Militia) (Part II), (Ottawa, 1964) pp. 7-10.

113  SD 1 Letter 64/53 dated 26 November 1965

114 The "Report of the Commission on the Reorganization of the Canadian Army (Militia) (Part II)" contains three appendices to Annex A that show:

* "Present Militia Order of Battle by Areas" (this appendix lists, inter alia, units, locations, their accommodation, etc)

* "Militia Headquarters, Units and Sub-Units to be Relocated, Transferred to Supplementary Order of Battle or Disbanded"

* "Reorganized Militia Order of Battle"

115  The Suttie Commission proposals, where implemented, were promulgated by SD 1 Letter 64/53 dated 26 November 1965

116  CFOO (CA) 66/15 "Organization CA (M) - The British Columbia Dragoons" (CFHQ F 1901-0003/1 Vol 4 (DO) dated 24 November 1966)

117  Staff Duties Letter No 64/53;

118  This Field Troop was relocated to Trail effective 1 April 1968 (CFOO 68/8, CFHQ F 1901-0003/1 (DO) 28 February 1968).

119 In the Suttie Commission�s Report at Appendix 1, the 17th Field Engineer Squadron�s locations are shown to be the Armoury in Cranbrook and the IOOF Hall and Garage in Kimberley with a troop in Creston in a �plywood building� (rented for $1800 pa).  At Appendix 2, where units are recommended for relocation or disbandment, the Commission lists the Creston troop �relocate with parent unit at Kimberley�, but no mention is made of the Cranbrook element in this appendix or in Appendix 3 (�Reorganized Militia Order of Battle�).  While this may be an oversight, it should be noted that the Cranbrook Armoury was DND-owned and it was sold to City of Cranbrook on 31 August 1965.

120    A recommendation of the Suttie Commission at Serial 30 of Appendix 2 to Annex A to Part II of its report, but not included in the relevant Staff Duties Letter.

121  CFOO (CA) 67/10 "Organization CA (M) 8th Field Engineer Regiment, RCE" (CFHQ F 1901-0402/8 (DO) dated 8 June 1967)

122  CFOO 68/51 "Organization - The Militia" (CFHQ F 1901-0189 (DO) over F 1901-5058 (DO) over F 1901-6164 (DO) dated 25 November 1968)

123  The Mortar Platoon was relocated from Merritt to Kamloops effective 1 April 1968 (Canadian Forces Organization Order 68/8, CFHQ F 1901-0003/1 (DO), 28 February, 1968)

124  Canadian Forces Organization Order (CA) 65/3 "Organization - CA (M) Unit Bands" (CFHQ F 5050-0003/1 (DO) dated 26 May 1965)

125  According to the "Brief History of the Reserve Force" (V 3120-27 TD 1057 (D Prog C) dated 4 October 1971) the combined establishment strength for the Naval Reserve, the Militia and the Air Reserve was to be reduced to approximately 23,000 subject to a budgetary limitation of 19,200.  The Militia's paid strength would therefore become something in the area of 16,000 members.  The strength of the Militia in 1969 totaled 23,500.

126 The Rocky Mountain Rangers is NOT included in the list of units with authorized bands as detailed in Canadian Forces Organization Order 70/10 "Organization - Reserve Force - Militia Bands" dated 1 May, 1970

127  The Kamloops and Revelstoke companies were re-titled "A" and "B" respectively.

128  �B� Coy relocated from Revelstoke to Salmon Arm effective 4 Jul 78 under authority of Milarea Vancouver Log C216 262215Z JUL 78� (Annual Historical Report � 1979, RMR 2900-1, dated 31 May 1979) and in 1998 it was moved to Kamloops, but no longer manned. 

Home ] Up ] Before 1914 ] The Great War ] Otter Committee ] 1936 ] 1939 ] 1945 ] Kennedy Report ] National Survival ] Suttie Commission ] 1969 ] 2001 ] Bibliography ] [ Footnotes ]

 

ALL PAGES below

Home Up Orderly Room The War The Cost The Sites Images Volunteers Remember Northern BC Army Files WAR DIARY Links New! Mapping Court Martial Mysteries

54th Kootenay Battalion Honours and Awards
Back Home

leaf.gif (308 bytes)TEA IN PARIS!leaf.gif (308 bytes) FAMILY GENEOLOGY! Get Great Uncle Bob`s  Army File
An actual WW1 battle field in Flanders Fields! 200 Armed Forces volunteers from the Nelson BC area here

Visit the 102nd Battalion CEF

EMAIL BN HQ!

PLEASE SEND US FEEDBACK! VISITING YPRES? Stay at `WOODSIDE B and B (CLICK)