Tue, Aug 01, 2006 Edition.
Today's breaking news :   Rebecca Garang calls for new probe on helicopter crash   ---    Annan sees up to 24,000 UN peacekeepers for Darfur   ---    Darfur commanders dismiss al-Nur from the SLM leadership   ---    Darfur peace parties to announce deal implementation   ---    SPLM denies attacking the house of presidential advisor in South Sudan   ---    Sudanese mark first anniversary of Garang death   ---    Bush to appoint special envoy to monitor CPA implementation   ---    SPLM says Sudan still arming militias in the South   ---    UN, AU concerned over army-militia attack on Darfur rebels   ---    Khartoum projects to eliminate Darfur holdout rebels - JEM   ---   

Subjects :


Regions :

Topics :

<boucle_logo_lies_orgs(mots) {id_article} {type=Organisations/parties} {0,5}>

Egypt delays plans to deport Sudanese refugees

Thursday 5 January 2006 07:36.
Printer-Friendly version  Send this article to a friend

Jan 5, 2005 (CAIRO) — Egypt has delayed a plan to deport more than 600 Sudanese refugees Thursday, the UN refugee agency said amid continued wrangling over a raid against Sudanese protestors that left 28 people dead.

Egyptian riot police conducts a Sudanese refugee with his suitcase to a bus prepared to evacuate them to a detention centre (AP).
"They will postpone the deportations that were planned for tomorrow," Astrid van Genderen Stort, a spokesperson for the United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees, said.

The deportations will be put back by three days, she said.

Egypt arrested over 2,000 Sudanese refugees and asylum-seekers in the wake of last week’s violent clashes that left some 28 Sudanese dead and hundreds injured and has been holding them in military camps around the city.

"We have appealed for days now to have access to the people in the military centres, so we are going to get this access tomorrow, apparently," Astrid said.

"We will have access for three days to assess the status of the people in the centres, to assess their legal status and to see if there are people that are in need of international protection," she added.

The Egyptian authorities had said they would begin deporting some 654 Sudanese on Thursday.

Human rights groups have expressed concern for the safety of those being returned, many of whom lost their documents when Egyptian security forces stormed the park where they had been protesting for months.


Related countries :

Egypt :

Search :

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Copyright © 2003-2006 SudanTribune Ltd. All rights reserved.