1911 First company was organized in Halifax by Miss Mary Ritchie who was a lady "of mature years, but intensely interested in young people". She enlisted the help of May Fraser (Mrs. V.M.Schenk). There were 30 in the Company; uniform consisted of 2-piece navy suit made Russian style, with light blue tie and Scout hat and belt. A white canvas knapsack completed the outfit.
A novel attempt to raise money was to obtain permission from the local tramway to collect fares on one route for half a day, a percentage of which was retained as the Guides' share.
Trinity Guides 1921
The Company struggled for a year or two, the young lieutenant got married, no replacement was found and the company disbanded.
1913-1920 A number of Companies were formed but most disbanded and rose again when interest returned.
1913 Canso has a Guide Company.
1915 Yarmouth has both a Guide Company and a Brownie Pack.
1917 Sydney has the first Camp under canvas.
1920 1st Halifax Co. Trinity Church registered under leadership of Melda
Walters. Miss Mary Ritchie opens Company in Bedford.
1921 Company opened in Bridgewater and
Edgehill School for Girls forms 2nd Windsor Company.
1922 Nova Scotia Council is in-corporated.
1923 1st Halifax Ranger Company formed
1st Sea Guides Company formed in Halifax.
1926 Viscount and Lady Allenby visit Halifax and Guides and Scouts form
Guard of Honour.
1927 Halifax District holds its first camp for Guides from Halifax,
Bedford, Dartmouth, Woodside and Imperoyal at Burnside, Bedford
Basin, August 5-12th.
-- Truro has first Company of Ranger Guides.
-- Miss Marjorie Haley, Mrs. Mary Harry, Laura Marshall and a Guide from Wolfville attend Dominion Jubilee
Camp in Victoria, BC.
1928 First large congregation of Guides and Brownies held with a Tea and Entertainment at Masonic Hall.
150 girls took part.
1929 First Provincial Camp held at the YMCA site in Hubbards Mrs. Schenk camp commandant, the girls each paid $3.00 Guiders paid $4.00, nearly 100 camped under canvas.
Provincial Normal School in Truro became the training center for leadership in Girl Guides.
1930 A $200.00 Grant was received from the Province of Nova Scotia.
-- Dartmouth has enough girls to form a district, with Vivian Dorey as District Commissioner.
-- Provincial Lone Guide Company formed.
-- Provincial office opened at 37 Sackville Street with Miss Owen Willaims as paid secretary.
1932 First provincial Patrol Leaders Camp held at French Village on the property of Miss Marjorie Gates 49 Guides and 13 Guiders attended. "Four heavy rain storms and a succession of gray days were unable to dampen the spirits of the jolly company".
-- First company of Canadian Girl Guides to be organized in a convent was 15th Halifax.
1933 IODE began to sponsor Packs and Companies.
-- Roberta, Countess of Bessborough presented to each Province a challenge shield "to be used an incentive to the development of what ever phase of Guiding the provincial council may decide would be most helpful to the movement".
-- First pack of Black Brownies registered as 2nd New Glasgow.
1935 At this time there are 1520 girls in 74 companies, 11 commissioners and 17 local associations.
The Guide Cabin in Bridgewater becomes a reality.
1936 First year that the rule to have a licensed camper on site is enforced.
1937 Provincial office moves to 215 Hollis Street.
-- An Oak sapling is received from Windsor great Park and planted in the Halifax Public Gardens.
1938 Provincial Minutes record that 1st Halifax Ranger Co. cleaned and painted the provincial office.
1939 Cumberland Division takes part in Honour Guard for Royal Visit.
1940 Bessborough Shield becomes known as Bessborough Shield and War Effort Project.
-- Guides involved in War effort.
1944 Mrs. Schenk becomes Provincial Commissioner.
1946 Marjorie Gates becomes Provincial Commissioner of Training.
-- Rose Goodman Camp presented to Pictou Guides in her memory.
-- Lady BP visits Nova Scotia.
1947 First camp training for Guiders held at Rose Goodman Camp.
1948 Ann Lowe attended Edith Macy Camp on Juliette Low Scholarship.
-- Mrs. L.E. Eaton attended International Camp at Cooperstown, NY.
-- Registration fee was raised to .25 for each girl, up from the previous fee of .05 for Brownies and .10 and .15 for Guides and Rangers respectively.
1949 Provincial Paper started called first "The Question Mark", eventually became "The Seagull".
1951 Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip visit Nova Scotia and 50 Guides form Honour Guard.
1952 41 Guides and 7 Rangers, 12 Leaders attend National Camp on Connaught Ranges, Ottawa.
1953 Throughout Colchester Camping and Marie Eaton were inseparable.
-- A Brown Owl in the Amherst Pack suggests to National Office that a calendar similar to those sold by Boy Scouts of America be sold as a fund raiser.
1954 Heather MacLean and Joy Calkin attend International Tent Camp in Toronto.
1955 Work begins on the Hardwood Lake Campsite.
-- Lone Guide Helen Kidd receives Commonwealth Prize.
1956 First camp at Hardwood Lake, Mrs. Chase as Camp Commandant.
1957 28 Girls represent Nova Scotia at World Camp, Doe Lake, and Ontario.
-- Province donates $2250.00 to World Camp Fund in memory of BP.
-- 4 girls attend World Camp at Windsor Great Park.
-- Lewis Lake Campsite is developed.
1958 4 girls represent Nova Scotia art Atlantic Adventure Camp.
-- 4 girls attend Senior Girl Scout Roundup in Colorado Springs.
1960 National Jubilee Camp held at Hardwood Lake with representatives from every province.
-- Lady BP visits province.
-- Queen and Prince Phillip visit province.
1961 Lady BP again visits province and rallies are held in Lunenburg and Stadacona.
-- Mrs. K Frittenburg becomes first N.S. Guider to earn Maple Leaf pin.
1962 Boathouse given to Hardwood Lake Camp by Mr. Don Chase.
1963 Mrs. Robert L. Stanfield opens the new Provincial office at 139 Granville Street (later 1871 Granville).
Click here to find out more information about the history of Girl Guides of Canada.