SN's 2006 Top 25 College Football Countdown
   Print this | E-mail this | Font size:

Posted: August 10, 2006

Sporting News

Editor's note: Sporting News has adjusted its original preseason rankings based on QB Rhett Bomar's dismissal from Oklahoma.

25. Alabama Crimson Tide
24. Oklahoma Sooners
23. Clemson Tigers
22. Oregon Ducks
21. Nebraska Cornhuskers
20. TCU Horned Frogs
19. Texas Tech Red Raiders
18. Louisville Cardinals
17. Tennessee Volunteers
16. Michigan Wolverines
15. Virginia Tech Hokies
14. Penn State Nittany Lions
13. Miami Hurricanes
12. California Golden Bears
11. Georgia Bulldogs
10. Iowa Hawkeyes
9. Florida State Seminoles
8. Florida Gators

SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE
» Comment on this article | Tell me how

Comments

Posted by MichiganFan789Blog on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:26 pm

So far, this list looks good. Teams like Michigan or Tennessee are coming off of bad seasons, but might surprize everyone and win some big games.

Rate or reply to this comment | Report abuse

Posted by ronniebrewer on Tue Aug 01, 2006 01:01 am

The game may or may not have been horribly managed as you say because I didn't see the whole thing, but I just find it funny that this comment on preseason rankings comes from a fan of the losing team.

Almost there..
Posted by ezcardfan on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:49 am

32 days to go.

Finally
Posted by War Eagle_25Blog on Tue Aug 01, 2006 03:05 pm

Finally a reasonable ranking for Michigan

Re: Finally
Posted by candawgBlog on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:36 pm

War Eagle_25 wrote:
Finally a reasonable ranking for Michigan

In the last 5 years Michigan is 3-9 against BCS out of conference opponents. The question should be why are they ranked?

Glad
Posted by BravezruleBlog on Thu Aug 03, 2006 01:14 am

Glad to see Florida and Florida State isn't ranked with these Scrubs LOL!

But they lost more than they won!
Posted by 18andnowbloggingBlog on Thu Aug 03, 2006 01:52 am

Tennessee might not be able to do much worse than last year, but what reason is there to believe they'll do much better? Completely undeserving of a ranking.

Posted by wvmilo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 04:37 pm

Can you believe this? Louisville 19th! Come on.

Louisville is much better than this ranking.

Tennessee
Posted by kevdogairs1Blog on Thu Aug 03, 2006 08:58 pm

Once again an overrated Volunteer squad makes the preseason top 25. Every team from #19-25 will have better season's than Tennessee.

another small school to get stomped
Posted by markpurcell on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:52 pm

Yes TCU will be another small school to get into the BCS and get stomped just like Utah did. That was smart to say

Re: Finally
Posted by UcantseemeeBlog on Sat Aug 05, 2006 01:07 am

candawg wrote:

In the last 5 years Michigan is 3-9 against BCS out of conference opponents. The question should be why are they ranked?

As with Notre Dame, this one of those teams that big Midwestern and Northeastern media seem to love. I wouldn't go as far to say that they shouldn't be ranked at all for 2006. They have some talented players returning this year.
The only time Michigan will never be ranked in a preseason would be if they finished the previous season with a record like 2-10.

Posted by TOOLHEAD on Sat Aug 05, 2006 09:26 pm

The Huskers will be back to the promise land after this season. Looks like a 10+ win season, and maybe a conference title... now that Rhett Bomar is out.

I'm no expert
Posted by AlanaCalBear on Sun Aug 06, 2006 04:26 am

But, where is Arizona State? I seen a similar thread in the message board section and they were left out of that one as well. I have only been watching college football for 2 years, but is it just me or is Tennessee always overrated? A close friend of mine has a list of the losses for each team and they lost the majority of their defense...which was the only thing they had going for them last year!

I can't wait until Cal plays Tennessee!

Re: Tennessee
Posted by ndlives!06Blog on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:00 pm

kevdogairs1 wrote:
Once again an overrated Volunteer squad makes the preseason top 25. Every team from #19-25 will have better season's than Tennessee.

I couldn't agree with you more. I wonder how far UT will fall this year.....
People think that the press jumps on Notre Dame's banwagon. Ha! UT had such a horrible season last year that they don't even have a banwagon for people to jump! Yet the press tries anyway.

Posted by ndlives!06Blog on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:03 pm

TOOLHEAD wrote:
The Huskers will be back to the promise land after this season. Looks like a 10+ win season, and maybe a conference title... now that Rhett Bomar is out.

So has Texas just fallen off the map now?

Posted by War Eagle_25Blog on Sun Aug 06, 2006 01:45 pm

kevdogairs1 wrote:

I might not be a Vols fan but jus becasue they had a bad season last year doesnt mean they will have a bad season this year they might turn out like auburn cause remember wen Auburn was suposed to have a national championship seaso in 2003 but instead had a horrible season. Then the next year they went undefeated sharing the national title. So that proves that anything is possible.

Posted by jjd43090 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 03:51 pm

just face it michagan isnt as good as you think and this can be nebraskas year in the big 12

Sooners to #24?
Posted by yeah sure on Sun Aug 06, 2006 06:55 pm

You people are over-reacting. Find me the preseason anaylsis that says Bomar was the key to Oklahoma's success. The Sooners will rally now and be more dangerous than ever.

Posted by hawkmanfan on Sun Aug 06, 2006 09:58 pm

ndlives!06 wrote:
kevdogairs1 wrote:

People think that the press jumps on Notre Dame's banwagon.

ND suckles from the breast of the national press...who you trying to fool?

Tennessee
Posted by ESVTrojan on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:07 pm

If you ask me Tennessee is the Michigan of the SEC. Always alot of promise, a big brand name, no results.

agreed
Posted by johhnywave on Mon Aug 07, 2006 01:55 am

ESVTrojan wrote:
If you ask me Tennessee is the Michigan of the SEC. Always alot of promise, a big brand name, no results.

Big hype from the media, big hope from the fans, big dissapointment from the team.

Oklahoma
Posted by fraggle5 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 02:40 pm

Oklahoma may not be a top 10 team but dropping this far is ridiculous. Stoops wins with defense and he plays in a conference even a bad Sooner team can dominate, sure Texas finally beat his team but until we see a trend, even a just decent sooner team will dominate the big 12 (note lower case as I don't respect the big 12)...

Posted by RaginCajun007 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 07:00 pm

hawkmanfan wrote:
ndlives!06 wrote:
kevdogairs1 wrote:

People think that the press jumps on Notre Dame's banwagon.

ND suckles from the breast of the national press...who you trying to fool?

lol....vivid. Very vivid. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Posted by RaginCajun007 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 07:07 pm

War Eagle_25 wrote:
kevdogairs1 wrote:

I might not be a Vols fan but jus becasue they had a bad season last year doesnt mean they will have a bad season this year they might turn out like auburn cause remember wen Auburn was suposed to have a national championship seaso in 2003 but instead had a horrible season. Then the next year they went undefeated sharing the national title. So that proves that anything is possible.

Are you talking about 1957 when they split with the Buckeyes?

You can't just say that Auburn split the National Championship.

Did they deserve to? Yes.

Did they? Ummm, no.

E-mail this | Comment on this article

All times are EDT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4

Think our experts are good? Wait until you read the opinions of our users. Visit community best blogs.

Did you know that all SportingNews.com members have their own free blog? Create yours now!