|Today is Monday,|
August 21, 2006
|Map & Places |
The town's center which is home to Dasmariñas' old residents. The newly renovated old church of the Parish of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Dasmariñas Library, Dasmariñas Elementary School and the Immaculate Conception Academy-Science High School are located in the town's plaza. Municipal Government's municipio or the town hall is located a few meters away from the plaza. Near the Poblacion is the De La Salle University-Health Sciences Campus and the DLSU-Medical Center, the 1st ISO Certified Hospital in the Philippines. Divided into four zones, the town's center is mostly residential area but is still lined with many business establishments.
Celebrations, shows and gatherings are being held at the plaza. Every 8th of December, the town's Poblacion celebrates the Feast of the Immaculate Conception wherein colorful banderitas, loud marching bands and expectacular display of fireworks are seen and is being visited by many people coming from the different towns in Cavite. Cultural shows and many celebrations are happening here almost weekly so it has the rightful claim to be called "the liveliest town in Cavite".
Kasuyan is its first name of this place, during the Spanish period, because of the presence of many cashew trees on the area. After many years, its name became Luksuhin and on July 18, 1889, it was renamed again by the petition passed by Don Juan Bautista requesting the place be named after San Agustin.
The place is lying between the Poblacion and Sampaloc in the north. Farming was the chief source of income of the people here. San Agustin is blessed with rich soil that can be planted with rice, sugarcane, fruits and vegetables. Here, vast lands with big mango trees can be found. There was a continuous flow of water coming from Bucal to the Poblacion during the Spanish period which they call Simbro. However, due to the town's development, most lands are now being converted into subdivisions and other business establishments.
On December 17, 1944, three persons living here were killed at the sona (zonification) in the Poblacion. They were Conrado Aledia, Primitivo Sango and Matiaga Ramirez.
Today, the place is on development. The Dasmariñas Central Market and the business establishments such as the Walter Mart and FSC are located here.
This barangay is situated between the Poblacion and Sabang. On April 13, 1889, a petition was passed appealing the sitio, once known Sitio Tamban, to be transformed into a barangay. The place was renamed on July 18, 1889, and was given the name San Jose in commemoration of their patron saint, St. Joseph.
Cumpuerta is the name of the hide-out of the Filipino revolucionarios during the revolution against Spain. This is a deep canal of flowing water which still exists until now.
The families of Cantada, Camañag, Ramos and Pastor are the first ones who settled here.
This place is known for the name "Salitran" even during the Spanish period. There are no exact historical accounts for the origin of the name. Some says that such name was given because the early settlers of this place were from Pampanga, Visayas, Tagalog region and some Chinese that served the Spanish friars. However, according to the original settlers here, the place was originally called "Bayanan". They said that this has numerous big Spanish houses which is like in a small town.
An old house in the eastern part of Salitran was used by the Spanish friars as the storage place for the rice and was called "Makina". It was also used as a headquarter by the Guardia Civil.
When the revolution ignited, the "Makina" became the center of attack by the revolucionarios from the Poblacion and this barrio. The friars weren't aware of the said assault.
On March 7, 1897, the Spanish went to Salitran where the Magdalo soldiers led by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo hid.
General Emilio Aguinaldo received help from one thousand men and formed a greater force and even the Spanish troops led by General Lechambre didn't penetrate Salitran. Because of the rebelry, the Spanish burned all the houses and establishments in the barrio. There were only left three houses unburned.
During the World War II, Simplicio Lara and Teodorico Timbang were killed by the Japanese soldiers.
Now, Salitran is on vast development due to the presence of numerous subdivisions and villages. Schools located here are the St. Jude College, the Immaculate Conception Academy-North Campus, and many others. There are also many business establishments here.
On the northern part of Dasmariñas is where this barangay can be found. The word "Sabang" means "to overflow"; wherein the creeks running from Malagasang, Imus tend to overflow in this place. This were made by the Spanish friars to irrigate the vast ricefields in the barangay.
The divertion in the direction of the waterflow made a big change in the agriculture during the Spanish period. There were rich production of rice and because of this, a bodega was made here for the storage of rice and was called "Kamalig ng Pare" (Silo of the Priest).
This place is considered to be the richest land in Dasmariñas during the Spanish period. Residents here where known to be industrious. Agriculture is still a source of income in this barangay though it diminish due to the development of the lands into subdivisions and schools.
More than 85% of the population are professionals and have a high standard of living. In this place, the Madona Charity Clinic is located which is owned by Mrs. Bracia Tengko. This clinic is a big help to the less fortunate residents of the barangay which seeks medical help.
On the eastern part of Dasmariñas, we can find Barangay Burol which is 3 kilometers away from the Poblacion (Town's Center). The complete name of barrio Burol is Pansol-Burol. Pansol is a Tagalog word meaning aqueduct, while Burol, also a native word, means mound. Eventhough there are no historical records about its establishment, it is safe to say that it was formed during the Spanish period due to the presence of ruins of old Spanish houses and sugarmills. The families of Quillao and Beltran are the first ones to settle in this place.
This barangay became the hide-out of the Katipuneros/revolucionarios. During the Japanese occupation, there are some Dasmarineños who were killed in this place. They were Alfredo Purificacion, Pedro Calupad, Victor de Jesus and Angel Olaes. The Japanese soldiers also planted several cotton trees on the area.
Now, this place is considered one of the richest barangay in Dasmariñas. Many schools and colleges can be found here such as the Southern Luzon College, International English Center, Asian Trinity School, and many others. Adjacent to the place is the Emilio Aguinaldo College. Numerous subdivisions and villages are also located here.
This place is located on the south-western part of Dasmariñas. The name "Langkaan" came from the word "langka" meaning jackfruit; which is believed to be planted in many parts of this barangay during the 1900, the year of its foundation. Barangay Langkaan was a part of a vast hacienda during the Spanich period that's why there are numerous water systems for ricefields that can be found here. The San Agustin Dam was constructed on 1855. On the last part of the 19th century, the Spaniards erected an indigo plantation here. The stone-made grinder of indigo still exists until now and it is the mark of the Spanish influence in the place.
The Spaniards are the first ones who planted sugar canes and became the primary source of income during the 18th century. During those times, tarapiche and carabaos are used to make panucha and paldo. Don Placido Campos and Andres Medina are the ones who owned these tarapiche.
When the Americans arrived, this place attracted residents from the Poblacion. The families Quillao, Bautista, Sarabusab, Reyes, Remulla, Sango, Laudato, Impoño, Satsatin, Medina, de Liam and others trasferred here during those times. During the Second World War, the Japanese had a big plantation of cotton trees in Langkaan. Dasmarineños were forced to work here. A Japanese concentration camp was also established in this area.
Now, this is considered to be a backbone of the economic progress of Dasmariñas. The presence of numerous factories in different industrial estates in this area, such as the First Cavite Industrial Estate, serves as the working place for the workers living in Dasmariñas and other towns of Cavite as well.
Paliparan is situated at the southeastern part of Dasmariñas. In the easternmost part, is surrounded by the munipalities of Gen. Mariano Alvarez, Cavite and San Pedro, Laguna. This place was a grassy land with no trees growing on its wide space providing an excellent place for flying kites during summer. In fact, this was what used to be - a paliparan - meaning an airfield for flying kites. During the Spanish period, the Spaniards used to go to this place during weekends to fly kites of different designs and colors.
The first settlers here came from the town of Imus. Among them are the families of Faustino Alvarez, Flaviano Pakingan, Gregorio de la Cruz, Pablo Papa, Dominguez and the Martinez.
On 1911, most of the residents here are said to be uneducated because there were only eight persons who can vote. Also during the Spanish period, this place became a hiding place for the Katipuneros/revolucionarios. During the Japanese occupation, some hide-outs of the guerillas were found here such as of "P.Q.O.G., R.C.T.C. Hunters, Reyes Regimen and Saulog Regimen". On June 1943, the Japanese oredered the residents to assemble in front of the school wherein they were not given food and water from morning until evening. Suspected guerilla members were killed.
This barangay is sub divided into six sitios which are Niugan(on the west), Crossing, Paliparan(on the north) , Paliparan Ilaya (also on the north), Pook and Burol (on the north-east). Today, it is considered to be one of the richest barangay in Dasmariñas because of the many factories and industrial estates that are located here. Among them are the Monterey, Reynold's Corporation, the First Cavite Industrial Estate and many others. A campus of the Immaculate Conception Academy is also located here. A Robinson's Mall is believed to be established here in the near future.
Barangay Salawag is located in the south-eastern part of Dasmariñas. Such name was given to this place due to the presence of bamboo trees made for the construction of houses. This barangay has many names during the olden times. The Spanish called this "Pasong Tinta" because there were many plants called "tinta-tintahan" used as an ink. This was also called "Horong Bato" because the eraly settlers believed that there is a treausure here burried under a large rock.
The first families to live here are the Macalinao, Pacifico, Purificacion and Paras. During the arrival of the Americans, the place was called "Mataas na Sampalok" because there were numerous tall sampaloc (tamarind) trees planted here.
Today, the barangay boasts of the "world class" Orchard Golf and Country Club, the site of the past Johnnie Walker Golf Tournament" and a state university, the Technological University of the Philippines. Many subdivisions are also located here.
There were numerous sampaloc (tamarind) trees in this place that's why it was given such name. It has the largest land area in Dasmariñas. Sitios formed here on 1896 were Palapala, Bukal, Malinta, Manalo, Piela and Talisayan.
In this barangay, the Philippine Christian University and the Union Theological Seminary can be found. Hella Phils. is located in Malinta, EuroMed Laboratories and New Era Village of Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) are in Bucal. More than half of the land is owned by the International Institute of Rural Reconstruction. An SM Mall will be established in Piela in the future.
Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan
DBB or the Dasmariñas Bagong Bayan was established on 1975 under the government of Pres. Ferdinand Marcos. At first, it occupies 234 hectares of land in the town and is 8 kilometers away from the town's Poblacion. This land was bought by the PHHC or the People Homesite Housing Corporation to the owners at two million and four hundred thousand pesos (P2,400,000) which then became the resettlement area for the less-priveledge families living in the depressed areas of Metro Manila.
The families of Eduardo Coronel, Rogelio Tomas, Ruben Alvarez, Manuel Rabang, Isabela de la Cruz and Diosdado Alto were the first ones to live here. Disdado Alto, Rodolfo Urubia, Danilo Serrano, Maximo Esteban, Manuel Macuto and Francisco Gonzales became the first barangays leaders.
After some years, DBB was divided into 30 barangays with a population of 100,000 living in more than 600 hectares of land. Each families were given 90-200 square meters which they loan from the NHA or the National Housing Authority.
On September 12, 1990, the Sangguniang Bayan (Municipal Council) passed Order 108-90 ordering DBB to be divided into 47 barangays which then was approved by the authority.
Today, the Congressional South Avenue is lined with numerous schools and business establishments. The Kadiwa market offers goods at cheaper price which then serve as an alternative market for the town. Schools such as the Dasmariñas Elementary School and the Dasmariñas National High School are just nearby the market. Subdivisions are also located in here like the Windward Hills Subdivision which serves most La Salle students. Just in front of the avenue is the DLSU or the De La Salle University-Dasmariñas Campus.