Perform site wide search
perform advanced options search

history at a glance


1830 to 1900

   

1831

First ferry service established (but short lived).

   

1836

First adequate ferry service launched between Perth and Fremantle.

   

1830’s–1870’s

Ferry services the only form of genuine public transport with improvements from sailing vessels to steam driven passenger vessels (paddle steamers). 

   

1877

Government agency with responsibility for railways within Western Australia is formed as ‘Department of Works and Railways’

26 July 1879 First Western Australian Government Railway from Geraldton to Northampton opened to traffic

10

May

1880

Foundation stone for Perth Central Station laid

31

Aug

1880

First Fremantle Railway Bridge opened

1

Mar

1881

Fremantle - Perth - Guildford line opened

   

1890’s

Horse buses operating in and out of the City via Hay and Barrack Streets.

   

1890

Western Australian Government Railways’ established

2

May

1893

Perth - Armadale line opened

2

May

1893

Kelmscott Station opened

   

1897

Cannington Station opened

   

1897

Agreement is reached with the Perth Road Board to lay seventeen and a quarter miles of tramway tracks within the boundaries of the City. 

   

1898

Welshpool Station opened

28

Sep

1899

Perth Electric Tramways Ltd, commences tram operations along Hay Street from East Perth to Milligan Street. Tram services later extended to a number of other suburbs.

 

 

 

          



1901 to 1950

   

1903

Perth’s first motor omnibus from Victoria Park to the City.

   

1903–   1958

A range of private bus companies progressively developed and operated bus services through Perth.

   

1904

Midland Workshops begin operations

   

1905

Trams replace buses to Victoria Park.  First tram to cross the Causeway and the launch of the Fremantle tramway service.

   

1906

Rivervale Station opened (renamed from Burswood)

   

1912

Mint Street Station opened (renamed from Haydons Siding)

16

Apr

1912

Queens Park Station opened (renamed from Woodlupine)

   

1914

Western Australian Government Railways and Tramways established

   

1919

Carlisle Station opened (renamed from Mint Street)

   

1920’s–

Motor buses increasingly dominate public transport across metropolitan Perth

   

1922

Western Australian Government Railways, Tramways and Electricity Supply’ established

1

Sep

1922

Victoria Park Station attended

   

1930

Western Australian Government Railways, Tramways, Ferries and Electricity Supply’ established

   

1933

First trolley buses introduced to boost the service provided by trams – considered a more modern alternative to trams. 

   

1937

Australia’s first diesel electric railcar train: the “Governor” Class, operated fast daylight country services

   

1941

Railway Road Services commenced with one bus on the Perth-Kojonup via Boddington and Williams route

   

1946

Western Australian Government Railways, Tramways and Ferries’ established

24

Nov

1947

Inaugural Australind train between Perth and Bunbury

24

Nov

1947

Road bus services introduced between Perth and Bunbury, Brunswick Junction and South West Branch Lines to Busselton, Caves House, Flinders Bay, Nannup, Northcliffe, Boyup Brook and Collie

4

May

1948

Seaforth Station opened

   

1949

Western Australian Government Railways’ (WAGR) established 

1951 to 1975

   

1952

Tram services abolished in Fremantle.

7

Jan

1953

Australind tabled to stop for the first time at Armadale

28

Nov

1954

Dieselisation of WAGR began with the commissioning of the “X” Class diesel electric locomotives (48 acquired)

   

1954

Metropolitan passenger service modernised with 18 ADG diesel mechanical railcars

   

1955

Visiting Town Planning consultant Professor Gordon Stephenson (in association with Town Planning Commissioner Hepburn) published a comprehensive Metropolitan Regional Plan containing proposals for an electric railway to the northern suburbs. 

   

1958

Metropolitan (Perth) Passenger Transport Trust’ (forerunner of Transperth).  Took over the larger private bus companies, trams were retired from service.  Last tram service in Perth operates to Inglewood.

2

May

1959

Lathlain Station opened

 

Jan

1964

Government took over the Midland Railway Co. of W.A. Ltd

 

Jun

1964

The ‘Shopper’ and ‘Bunbury Belle’ services between Perth and Bunbury introduced

5

Oct

1968

Suburban service operated entirely by diesel railcars

8

Oct

1968

Midland Rail and Road Passenger Terminal opened

   

1968/69

Beckenham Station opened (renamed from Higham)

   

1969

Last rubber tyred trolley buses retired. 

15

Jun

1969

Perth Railway Station renamed City and East Perth station renamed Claisebrook

22

Nov

1971

Official introduction of the Prospector Service

29

Nov

1971

‘The Prospector’ railcar service began commercial operation between Perth and Kalgoorlie

29

Oct

1973

Challis station opened

   

1974

Integration of Perth public transport took place when management of urban rail services was placed with the ‘Metropolitan (Perth) Passenger Transport Trust’ (the forerunner to Transperth). 

19

Sep

1975

Westrail image and logo introduced

   

1975

“The Shopper” and “Bunbury Belle” services withdrawn

1976 to 2000

12

Nov

1976

Westrail Centre officially opened

22

Dec

1978

Belmont Park Station opened (renamed from Goodwood)

1

Sep

1979

Suburban passenger services ceased on the Perth-Fremantle Line

2

Jul

1980

Kelmscott bus/rail transfer station opened

29

Jul

1983

Re-opening of the Perth-Fremantle suburban passenger line

30

Oct

1983

Low level platform at Midland commissioned

28

Feb

1984

Removal of Claisebrook Station to Bennet Brook Railway, Whiteman Park

 

May

1984

New livery for Prospector

28

May

1985

Last Australind service to and from the old Bunbury Station

29

May

1985

Opening of the new Bunbury Passenger Terminal

31  Aug 1986 Transperth becomes an offical trading name

5

Nov

1987

Inauguration of the new Australind

   

1988

WA Government announced it would electrify the suburban rail system.

14

Nov

1988

Executive service on the Australind commenced

   

1989

Government announced it would build a new rail line along the Mitchell Freeway to the northern suburbs. 

14

Nov

1989

Premier Peter Dowding hammered in the first spike of the Northern Suburbs Railway from Perth to Joondalup

Aug

1990

Electric power switched on to the suburban system

Aug

1991

Official opening of the latest North Fremantle Station (services actually commenced using the new station from 28 July)

 

Sep

1991

Electrified system commenced full operation on Armadale, Fremantle and Midland lines

   

1992

Joondalup line opened

   

1993

Planning, coordination and policy functions for public transport transferred from the Metropolitan (Perth) Passenger Transport Trust to the Department of Transport

 

Mar

1993

Electrified system extended to Currambine

   

1994–   1998

Competitive tendering of bus and ferry services and call centre/information services.

 

Jul

1998

Decision made by Cabinet to separate and dispose of Westrail’s Freight Business

 

Dec

1999

Enabling legislation for the construction of the Southern Suburbs Railway south of Glen Iris to Mandurah Passed (under Department of Planning and Infrastructure)

17

Dec

2000

WAGR freight business sold to the Australian Railway Group along with the Westrail name and logo

2001 to Present                              

 

May

2002

Perth Urban Rail Development (body responsible for the building of the Perth to Mandurah Railway) becomes a part of WAGR from the Department of Planning and Infrastructure

 

Nov

2002

The Railway (Jandakot to Perth) Bill 2002 passes through Parliament, enabling the Government authority to commence design and construction of the railway north of Glen Iris and directly up the Kwinana Freeway to Perth via the Direct Route

Feb

2003

Lathlain Station closed

 

Mar

2003

Perth Urban Rail Development changes its name to New MetroRail

28

May

2003

Transwa name and logo introduced (renamed from Country Passenger Division)

1

Jul

2003

The Public Transport Authority of Western Australia is formed through the amalgamation of Transperth, WAGR, School Bus Services and regional town bus services.

13 Jun 2004 Nowergup Depot opened and new EMU arrive in WA
27 Jun 2004 New Prospector railcars enter service

4

Oct

2004

Clarkson Station opened and new EMU enter service

 

 


We notice that you are using a browser that does not support current web standards. This means that the pages you view will not be correctly formatted. Browsers that support the standards are available for free.
To continue with an upgrade, please go to the Browser Upgrade Information page.