An explanation for the Flude Legend

The Blazon:

Argent [silver], an eagle displayed with two necks sable [black]

 

 

 

 

 

  Llwyd Mansion prior to 1875.

 

 

Llwyd Mansion post 1875 after its renovation

The origins of the "Flude" legend remain a mystery. It was handed down to the present as quote: "a member of the Flude family being awarded a Coat of Arms for services performed during the crusades". This was accompanied by an artistic impression of those Flude arms described in Burkes Armoury. The following event may present a more realistic explanation for the legend, bearing in mind the Origins of the Surname.

It concerns a wealthy gentleman by the name of Meurig Llwyd of Llangerniew, Clwyd, Wales in c1250 where the event started and are described as follows:

"A certain Meurig Llwyd finding himself and his tenants much oppressed by the English laws, did kill one of the judges, and hang divers other officers on oak trees in Uwch Dulas; on which account his lands and inheritance in Rhuvoniog escheated to the Crown, and so still remain, for the most part, to this day, and are known by the name of Tir Meurig Llywd; whereupon he withdrew for his safety to the sanctuary of Ralston church, and then put himself under the protection of John FitzAlan, (Lord of Oswestry and of Clun or Colynwy, and afterwards Earl of Arundel, who died in the 52nd year of the reign of Henry III, ie. 1268), who was at that time gathering an army on behalf of the King.

Meurig was made captain over a number of soldiers gathered in the marches of Wales. With these he went to the Continent, and for certain services rendered in the wars, notably recovering the Emperor's standard from the enemy, he was rewarded by the said Emperor of Austria with a coat of arms, viz., "Argent, an eagle displayed with two necks sable" which only differed from his own by substituting Argent for Or".

When Meurig returned to England he must have been forgiven his previous misdeeds for he married Agnes the daughter and wealthy heiress of Ieuan Fychan [Vaughan] of Llwynemaen, Shropshire (whose ancestors can be traced to the Princes of Powys).

Meurig and his descendants remained there at least until the early 17th century because his direct descendant John Lloyd of Llwynemaen, Oswestry, Shropshire built his house Llwyd Mansion there in 1604 (see the engravings opposite) with the family arms of Meurig Llwyd still emblazoned on the outside. The house is in Oswestry town centre, Shropshire and stands to this day.

.

Index