In 1835 Dr James Mitchell made application to purchase
land of about 900 acres south of Newcastle. later additions to this grant
was made by purchase A. W. Scott's grant to the east. The area was named
Mitchell's eldest daughter married Edward Christopher Merewether who had
arrived in Newcastle as the General Superintendent of the A.A. Co.. They
built and lived in The Ridge and the area changed names from Burwood,
Burwood estate was divided into a number of townships.
East of Watkins street was "The Pottery", The Junction remains,
to the west was Burwood then further west was the Glebe. Another area,
The Racecourse was adjacent to Frederick street near Dixon Park.
Merewether Council was incorporated in 1885. The first
mayor was F. Kempster. By the 1930's Merewether had an area of 1,114 acres
and a population of 8,653. Council chambers were located in Llewellyn
in the area was held up by bank lending restrictions as a result of possible
mine subsidence. Consequently development in the suburb did not take off
until the passing of the Mine Subsidence act in 1929 which gave assurances
as to incidents involving damage caused through mine subsidence.
industries were few, the area was almost exclusively devoted to coal mining,
but there were a number of potteries notably those belonging to Hughes
and Drury, Welhams and Bowtell. Bowtell's pit was bounded by Hickson,
Margaret and Morgan streets and was 90 feet (30m) deep. By 1877 there
were seven brickworks operating in area and nearly One hundred years later
only one survived nearby to Junction School. A copper smelting works operated
at Burwood (Glenrock lagoon) during the 1830's and closed down in 1862.
The Newcastle Coal Mining Co amongst many others were large coal miners
in the area. The Scottish Australain Mining Company later took over the
early water supply was provided through wells or springs. Offen during
dry weather the many creeks in the area would dry up and those without
wells would travel to the Wallaby Well (near Beaumont St and Glebe Rd).
Washing was often done there too.
Burwood beach was known as the Gulf.
The first ocean baths at Merewether were built in 1926, partly in reaction
to the sewerage coming from the gulf. In 1928 construction work on the
existing baths was begun. The remains of the first small baths are still
used slightly to the north. Dixon Park was named after Jonathon Dixon
who bored for coal in murdering gulley in 1863.
Compared to other municipalities the development of
Merewether was very slow. The first gas streetlights did not appear until
1911 and electricity wasn't introduced until November 1928.