| 1940s | 1950s |
1960s | 1970s
| 1980s | 1990s | 2000s
and Mrs. McFarlin announced to be the previously anonymous donors of the Library
Building. The building is expected to cost $175,000 and the plans are
currently being drawn up.
- The library is designated a Government
- The McFarlin Family promises $275,000 to furnish the library.
- The building contract is awarded to W. S.
Bellows of Oklahoma City.
- The library is now described as having
four wings and a four story tower. One of the wings promised to be a
luxuriously furnished “browsing room” with leather upholstered rocking chairs
and settees as well as artistically painted walls and individual round tables.
It will also have a real log burning fireplace inscribed with Emily Dickinson
saying “There is no Frigate like a book to take us lands away”.
- A golden shovel was used to break ground
for the new McFarlin Library. The first dirt was turned by J. A. Hull,
Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
- The library is the first of 3 buildings:
McFarlin Library, Tyrrell Hall and Phillips Hall.
- Alice Robertson, a member of the original
Kendall College faculty who later served as Postmistress of Muskogee and was
the second women elected to the U. S. Congress, is the speaker at the
- It is announced that the library will
hold 180,000 volumes and the basement will have 1000 lockers to hold the
property of individual students.
- 70% of the outer walls will be
constructed of Tennessee stone. Arkansas stone will make up the remaining 30
percent. Green slate from Vermont will also be used.
- Basement floors are completed and outer
walls are under construction. Fancy trimming stone for the basement windows
is being shipped in from Bedford, Indiana.
- Work begins on the first floor
- The second floor of the tower is laid and
work begins on the second floor south wing.
- The building is being built of standing
stone with no steel framework. Skilled masons are very difficult to find and
the building is taking longer to construct than originally expected.
- Mrs. Mary Nettles, Head Librarian, is
studying at the library school at the University of Virginia. The
Assistant Librarian, Miss Bonnie Todd, is studying at Simpson Library School
- The Junior class donates money for the
purchase of books for the library.
- The YWCA lounge has been completely
- Local newspapers claim that the library
should be open by February 1, 1930.
- McFarlin Library is “most nearly
finished” of the three buildings going up.
- Students who have not paid their library
fines are not permitted to take their final examinations.
- McFarlin Library is dedicated June 1,
1930. Tyrrell Hall and Phillips Hall are also dedicated at this time.
- All books in the new building have been
- Edna M. Brown is named acting librarian.
Miss Fern Antel will act as her assistant.
- The three new buildings are put into use for
- The library is not open during the dinner
hour or on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.
- John Rogers donates one hundred volumes of modern fiction
to the library.
- Alice Mary Robertson bequeaths her library
and family papers to TU.
- A 600 volume law library is given to TU
by Grant Foreman.
- The University of Tulsa museum, which is
housed in the north wing on the second floor of McFarlin Library, opens to the
public. The museum contains items representing the American Indians and the
headhunters of Borneo.
- The first floor North Reading Room is
designated for Engineers and the South room is for Arts and Sciences students.
- Former TU graduate, Mrs. Kathryn
Armstrong, becomes Head Librarian.
- Library holds a “See the Museum Week”.
- During the year, over 1200 volumes are
given to the library by 36 individuals and organizations.
- 100 students are on the library’s “black
list” because of fines and books still out, so they can’t take exams.
- TU library receives $10,000 gift from the
- 1,314 new books are catalogued to bring
the library total to 24,301. 19,439 books were issued for home use and
14, 042 were used in the library.
- The YWCA lounge is in place with six
beds, chairs and a cabinet.
- Library hosts second “See the Museum
- Caddo pottery collection is given to the
- Library celebrates National Book Week
- The libraries summer hours are 8:30 –
3:30pm Monday through Friday and 8:30 to 12:30 pm on Saturday.
- Emily Phelps joins the library as
Assistant Librarian and Head of Circulation.
- Library posts regulations that outline
the fees for the rental collection. You may check out a book for one week for
- The letters and newspapers of the Alice
Robertson Collection are catalogued.
- McFarlin Library celebrates the
centennial of printing in Oklahoma with a display.
- Between 150 and 200 books are added to
the Browsing Room.
- Elizabeth Hunt becomes the new Head
Librarian. Bonnie Brown is the new Assistant.
- The museum in the library closes.
- The library collection is 37,160 volumes.
- The library circulates a notice that
absolute quiet is to be imposed in all reading rooms. Also, eating, drinking,
sleeping, sitting or lying on the tables is prohibited. “Normal library
decorum” is to be expected.
- Seniors donate two streetlights for the
front of McFarlin.
- New closing hours are announced for the
library. Monday through Thursday the library is open until 10:00 pm. On
Fridays, it closes at 8 pm.
- New equipment is added to the library
including 2 typewriters (one for foreign languages), a book press, a heavy
stapling machine, 2 book cabinets, a paper cutter, and a system of pigeonholes
for readers guides. New flexifile equipment is being used for filing
pamphlets that couldn’t otherwise be classified.
- Leta Sowder becomes the new Head
- The second floor north wing is opened as
a new reading room under the charge of Mrs. Avis Wilton.
- Doris Cook, former McAlester High School
Librarian replaces Mrs. Robert Wilton as Assistant Librarian
- The Browsing Room is used as a theater
for a production of “The Importance of Being Earnest.”
- The library has over 60,000 catalogued
volumes and over 40,000 documents and pamphlets.
- McFarlin Library is open 70 hours per
week compared to the 56 – 60 hours for most university libraries its size.
- The library offers reference service to
any citizen of Tulsa and has a separate collection of the latest publications
on the war and the defense effort.
- McFarlin Library is identified as one of
the most complete geological libraries in the southwest.
- The Engineering reading room is
supervised by Doris Cook. Bradford A. Osborn is the technical librarian.
- Miss Leta Sowder, Head Librarian resigns
to take a position as Chief Librarian of Arkansas State Library Board and is
replaced on July 1 by Eugenia Maddox. Ms. Maddox had previously been Head
Cataloguer for the Tulsa Public Library.
- Kathleen Burns, daughter of Dean Chase,
becomes the new Reference and Cataloguing librarian, replacing Mrs. Charles
- Kathleen Burns arranges a display for
- Returning WWII GIs begin intensively
using the Browsing Room
- The Geology Department moves into former
YMCA space in basement of the library.
- Library gets a “mezzanine” to serve as a
5th floor. Shelves are removed on the 4th floor and new
shelved moved to 5th floor. This work gives the library six floors
across the large open upper area of the tower.
- Library gets new fluorescent lights.
- McFarlin Library is selected as the
repository of a large collection of periodicals owned by the society of
- An arsonist sets fires in the restrooms
of the Library, the Engineering building and the Student Union.
- The law library material is separated
from the main collection and sent to TU’s downtown Law Center.
- Dr. Murray’s geology class is locked in
the basement and is caught by the night watchman while trying to sneak out the
- Library Handbook produced.
- Keysort is used for circulation.
- Microfilm Reader bought to read the Tulsa
World and Tulsa Tribune.
- Microcard Reader bought.
- Tulsa World writes article about the soil
sample library in the south basement of the TU Library.
- Library becomes a selective depository of
the Carnegie Research.
- McFarlin Library receives a gift of the
complete files of both the Tulsa World and Tulsa Tribune on microfilm.
- Tulsa Bibliophile Rush Greenslade endows
TU’s first rare book room.
- Geology Department moves out of the south
basement and the area will now be used for stacks. Map cases and duplicate
periodicals are moved to the north basement. Walls blasted out of the
basement to enable access to the elevator.
- The library is featured in two TV
programs produced by KOTV.
- Furniture is donated by both the
Stanolind and Sinclair Oil companies.
- Stacks open for all students not just
Juniors and Seniors with stacks permits.
- TU builds North Campus including a branch
- Library gets the 1892 – 1956 Sears
catalog on microfilm.
- The Associated Press publishes an article
about how “hep” TU is because they had a card drawer with the heading “roc-rol”.
- Jess Chouteau donates books to the
library including two 15th century books.
- Mrs. Pate Baker is the new library at the
Evening Division and School of Law branch library.
- A world globe is given to the library in
honor of Dr. Carol Mason.
- Rain floods the basement of McFarlin
- The branch library at North Campus is
named the Sidney Born Technical Library.
- Library receives a 350,000 card
collection of abstracts from Standard Oil of Indiana.
- The Kistlers donate a beautiful
collection of books to the library.
- The library installs air conditioning.
McFarlin is connected to the Student Activities building to benefit from its
excess air conditioning capacity through the tunnel. The tunnel is paid for
by the Federal Government as part of its fall-out shelter program.
- 1948 Student Library Handbook is updated.
- At this point, there are three main
floors and 5 tower stacks. There is a control desk where all purses, packages
and bags are checked.
- The north campus branch library gets a
- McFarlin undergoes some renovations as a
tile floor, acoustical tile ceiling, and colorful walls are added. New
furniture is added to Browsing Room, South Basement, Seminar Rooms in the
North Basement, the Order Librarians office, and cubicles for students wanting
to use typewriters. The Periodicals Department is moved from the basement to
- The library installs a copy machine.
- James Veasey, a TU trustee from 1927 to
1929, bequeaths his collection of American History books, focusing on Abraham
Lincoln and the Civil War era.
- Rush Greenslade bequeaths his English
Literature collection to TU.
- The building of the five floor Chapman
addition is announced. This addition is designed by H. G. Barnard, A.I.A..
Tulsa Rig, Reel and Manufacturing Co. is the general contractor.
- Plans to convert Harwell Gymnasium into a
freshman library begin.
- The Chapman addition to McFarlin Library
is completed and the original structure is renovated. The addition contains
35,000 square feet of space or room for 315,000 volumes and 639 student study
- TU libraries contain some 290,000
catalogued books and government documents and more than 2,400 periodical
- Harwell becomes the education library
- TU libraries contain approximately
320,000 catalogued books and government documents and more than 3,200
- Guy V. Logsdon becomes the Director of
- KWGS is located in the north basement of
- Erskine Caldwell collection and Dime
Novel collection added to library.
- Circulation of items to non-TU students,
staff and faculty limited.
- TU libraries celebrate the acquisition of
the 500,000th volume. Elementary Arithmetic in Cherokee and
English is donated by Rennard Strickland. Angie Debo is the speaker at
- Former student and Tulsa businessman,
John Shleppey, bequeaths a vast collection of Native American materials to TU.
- TU President, J. Paschal Twyman,
announces plans for a $3 million addition to the Library.
- The Cyril Connolly Collection is
- McFarlin Library receives a grant to join
OCLC (originally the Ohio College Library Center now the Online Computer
- The library acquires the John Eliot
Indian Bible, the F. Scott collection, the Edmund Wilson collection, the
Robert Graves collection, the Jean Rhys collection, the Laura Riding Jackson
collection, and the D. H. Lawrence collection.
- The Cataloguing Department gets OCLC.
- Construction on the west underground
- Record museum collection added.
- David Farmer is hired as the first
Director of Rare Books and Special Collections. Before this the rare books
and manuscripts were handled by the Humanities Librarian.
- The Sidney Born Technical Library moves
from North Campus to McFarlin Library.
- A photo duplication center is set up in
- One millionth volume is added to the
- New library addition dedicated. The
speech at the celebration is given by noted author Larry McMurtry.
- Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Albert donate the
sculpture El Nino Volador by Mexican sculptor Victor Salmones.
- President and Mrs. J. Paschal Twyman
present the courtyard fountain Apogee as their gift to the University.
- Inter-Library Loan begins using OCLC.
- McFarlin Library joins the OCLC library
- Robert Patterson becomes Library
- Library acquires the Daniel Hamilton
Collection, the Siegfried Sassoon Collection, and the Robert Frost collection
for Special Collections.
- The Library Associates program is
- Anti-theft system is installed.
- Reference, Card Catalog and Database
search functions will be centralized on the Plaza Level.
- Library adopts Library of Congress
classification system and begins conversion of materials from the Dewey
- Inter-Library Loan becomes its own
department within the library.
- University Archives is officially
- McFarlin Library is favorably mentioned
in a New York Times article on Tulsa.
- Library gets LIAS (Library Information
Access System) as its Online Public Access Catalog.
- Library eliminates a cataloguing backlog
of 436,000 items.
- Browsing Room is remodeled and renamed
the Faculty Study. The second floor north is named the Student Study.
- Special Collections acquires the Rebecca
West collection, the Elizabeth Taylor collection and the David Emery Gascoyne
- Library is given 10 Memorex-Telex
microcomputers for patron use and instruction.
- Public LIAS terminals increase from 6
terminals to 12.
- Automated inventory control implemented
using LIAS (Library Information Access System).
- Cards are still used to check out books.
- First CD-ROM products are introduced in
- Library cataloguers get their own LIAS
terminals on their desks.
- LIAS used to check out books to patrons.
- Irish poet Richard Murphy donates his
papers to TU.
- Preservation Lab opens.
- Library acquires two millionth volume.
- Public LIAS terminals get their first
- The family of J.B. Milam, Principal Chief
of the Cherokee Nation from 1941 to 1949, donates his extensive library to TU.
- McFarlin acquires the E. Nelson Bridwell
and Willa Cather collections.
- Photocopies cost $.05 each.
- Oklahoma’s research universities (TU, OU
and OSU) agree to reciprocal privileges with other universities for faculty.
- Special Collections acquires the WWI
- Dr. Ben Henneke, TU President Emeritus,
donates his research materials to the library.
- A fiber optic LAN is installed in the
- McFarlin becomes tobacco free.
- McFarlin Fellows is created to provide
funds for acquiring distinguished rare books and manuscripts.
- Special Collections acquires the William
Trevor collection, the Jean Rhys collection and the V. S. Naipaul collection.
- The Reference Desk is moved to current location in the
- The library develops its first webpage.
- The library adopts Innovative Interfaces as its new online
- Francine Fisk becomes the new Library
- 5,131 linear feet of
compact shelving installed in 1998.