One of the three scholarship halls funded by the 1945 gift of Joseph R. Pearson of Corsicana, Texas, and his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna, it is named in honor of her family. The hall, a Georgian-style brick, was built on the southeast edge of the Brynwood Manor estate and opened in fall 1952. It houses 47 women in four-person suites.
The center, opened in 1984, was the gift of W.R. "Bub" Shaffer and Helen Holland, Michael Holland and Nancy Gaines Holland of Russell, who contributed $415,000 for the construction of the 6,000-square-foot weight and conditioning center for athletes. Shaffer, a three-year basketball letterman coached by Phog Allen, was a 1936 graduate. The facility, superseded in 2003 by the Anderson Family Strength and Health Center, is being remodeled to house an athletic training facility hydrotherapy unit and an auxiliary strength room.
Shenk Sports Complex
Clinton Parkway and Iowa Street
These intramural fields, designed by KU landscape architect Alton C. Thomas on land donated by KU Endowment, are named for Henry Shenk, KU athlete and alumnus who was chair of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation 1941-72; he retired in 1976 and died in 1989. The complex has eight fields for use by KU students and employees or by university and community groups to play football, rugby, soccer, field hockey or cricket; a jogging trail also is available. (Two fields are closed during construction of a 1,500 stall park-and-ride lot to the north and northeast that will open in fall 2006.) Recreation Services manages the fields, which were dedicated Sept. 27, 1980, and renovated in 2003.
Dolph Simons Sr. Biosciences Research Laboratories
Constant Avenue northwest of McCollum Laboratories
The research lab, dedicated May 6, 1996, is named for Dolph Simons Sr., longtime publisher of the Lawrence Journal-World and a key figure in bringing distinguished chemist Takeru Higuchi to the university. The $8.9 million building, designed by Glenn Livingood Penzler Miller Architects of Lawrence, houses laboratories and other research space, an auditorium, conference rooms and offices for researchers focused on cancer-fighting drugs.
The two-story, $1.1 million research center was designed by Hazard, Van Doren and Stallings of Topeka and dedicated May 5, 1978. It is named for Edward E. Smissman (1925-74), professor and chair of medicinal chemistry and university distinguished professor, and is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Research Area in West Campus.
1300 Oread Ave. 66045-7615
Dedicated Oct. 8, 1967, Smith Hall houses the Department of Religious Studies, faculty and administrative offices, classrooms and the William J. Moore Library. It occupies the site of Myers Hall, which had housed the Department of Religion since 1907. Myers had been built on the site of the Rush farmhouse, purchased in 1901 by the Christian Women’s Board of Missions, Christian Church, to house the Kansas Bible Chair, offering courses in religious history and the Bible; the hall was also used as a social center and public lecture space. In the 1960s funds were raised privately and from affiliated denominations for construction of a new building, and Myers was demolished in 1966.
The new building was designed by architect Charles L. Marshall of Topeka and named for Irma I. Smith of Macksville, Kan., a major donor. Marshall also designed the large stained-glass window “Burning Bush,” donated by Mr. and Mrs. L. Allyn Laybourn in memory of his parents, the Rev. Lemuel and Susan M. Laybourn; it was executed by Jacoby Studios of St. Louis. To incorporate images from the university seal, Marshall designed a courtyard in front of the building as the site for a large bronze statue of Moses. The statue, gift of Corinne Wooten Miller of Tonganoxie in memory of her husband, Charles E., was by art professor/sculptor Elden C. Tefft and was dedicated May 12, 1982.
Smith Hall and the land it occupies were owned by the Christian Churches of Kansas and the Kansas Bible Chair until 1998, when the university bought them for $1.1 million. From 1977 to 1998 the university paid $1 a year for use of the hall by its Department of Religious Studies.
When it opened in 1930, “new” Snow Hall replaced the original limestone building of 1886 designed by John G. Haskell and named for Francis H. Snow, the natural history professor who became the fifth chancellor (1890-1901). The original building had seriously deteriorated by 1915 and was a lethal risk by the mid-1920s when funds were finally approved for a new science building. “Old Snow,” whose site was the northwest corner of the Watson Library lawn, was demolished in 1934. Salvaged stone was used on the Military Science Building.
State Architect Charles Cuthbert and H.H. Lane of the zoology department collaborated to design the new Indiana limestone building in a modified Collegiate Gothic style. It housed the departments of botany, zoology, entomology and bacteriology; Snow’s renowned entomological collection; the botanical collection; classrooms; and labs.
Wings were added on the north in 1950 and 1958; a major renovation in 1989-90 converted the 1958 addition to classrooms and offices and added new space for the Snow Entomological Museum.
The entomology collections have been moved to the Printing Services/Public Safety Building and to Dyche Hall. Many of the science divisions moved to Haworth Hall, and Snow now houses the Department of Mathematics; the environmental studies program; and architecture and urban design studios, faculty offices, craft shop and jury rooms. Economics will move to Snow Hall from Summerfield Hall in 2005-06.
The yellow-brick library, designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence, was begun in 1984 and dedicated May 5, 1988. It is named for Charles E. Spahr, a 1934 engineering alumnus, emeritus chair and CEO of Standard Oil Co. of Ohio and KU benefactor who with his wife made a major endowment to the library. The four-story library has 13,000 square feet and holds about 70,000 books and serials and more than 350,000 microfiche items. It is connected by an enclosed walkway to the second floor of Learned Hall, the main engineering building, and shares a courtyard with Learned and Eaton halls. An addition was completed in fall 1990.
The museum was dedicated in September 1977 and built with funds from the Kenneth A. and Helen F. Spencer Foundation. It is named for Helen Foresman Spencer, a student in the 1920s who married Kenneth A. Spencer, a 1926 graduate who founded a chemical company and the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City. Like the Spencer Research Library, which she also funded, the museum was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a KU classmate, and built of white Indiana limestone. Its galleries mount exhibits from the permanent collections and touring or special exhibits. Special strengths include medieval art; European and American paintings, sculpture and prints; photography; Japanese painting and prints; and quilts and textiles. It also houses the Art and Architecture Library; the Kress Foundation Department of Art History; an auditorium that seats 265; museum shop; and faculty and administrative offices.
This neoclassical building, which opened in 1968, honors Kenneth A. Spencer (1902-60), a 1926 graduate who founded the Spencer Chemical Co. and the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City. The library was built with a grant from his widow, Helen Foresman Spencer, who attended KU, and the family foundation. It was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a 1926 graduate, and built of white Indiana limestone. Its terrace adjoins Strong Hall to the south.
It houses the University Archives (chancellors’ papers, buildings, athletics, student life; publications, timetables, yearbooks; photographs and videotapes); the Kansas Collection (state and county depository, maps, genealogies, photographs, political literature, books and periodicals); and Special Collections (ancient, medieval, Renaissance, 18th-century, Irish, science and education resources).
The university’s first library, it was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Kansas City architect Henry van Brunt, who also designed the first chancellor’s residence immediately east of it. Both were built with the 1891 bequest of Boston leather merchant and philanthropist William B. Spooner, uncle of Francis H. Snow, an original faculty member and the fifth chancellor. Dedicated in October 1894, it was the library until 1924, when the much larger Watson Library opened. In 1926 it became the Spooner-Thayer Museum of Art until 1978, when Spencer Museum of Art opened. The Museum of Anthropology was opened in 1979; it was renamed the Anthropological Research and Cultural Collections in July 2005. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
In 1917 Sallie Casey Thayer, widow of Kansas City department-store magnate William B. Thayer of Emery, Bird, Thayer, donated her extensive collection of ceramics, glassware, textiles, Asian paintings and other objects in honor of her husband.
The Weaver Memorial Fountain and Courtyard on the south side were dedicated June 20, 1960, in memory of Arthur D. Weaver of Lawrence; it was the gift of son Arthur B. Weaver and daughter Amarette W. Veatch and their families.
The 10-unit apartment building was made possible by a bequest from Elizabeth Sprague (1874-1960), head of the home economics department 1914-41, in memory of her sister Amelia, an artist and designer. Retired faculty members live in the redbrick building, completed in 1960.
It occupies a historic campus site. Charles Robinson, a founder of Lawrence and first governor of Kansas, sold the property to grocer H.W. Baker, who built a 24-room house that in 1890 he sold to fellow Quantrill raid survivor Brinton Webb Woodward, owner of Round Corner Drugs. Woodward enlarged the house, adding a notable art gallery, and named the house and grounds Brynwood Manor. At the end of World War I, the Acacia Fraternity bought the house and property but by 1939 could no longer maintain them. They were acquired by Olin Templin of the Endowment Association, who had long hoped to develop scholarship halls for men such as Watkins and Miller women’s halls. The house was refurbished and opened as Templin Hall, a scholarship residence for 38 men, in fall 1940; it and Battenfeld Hall were the first of several scholarship halls at Alumni Place, as the property was renamed. Templin housed men, women and, during World War II, Navy officer trainees; it was demolished in 1959.
The building houses the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications; administrative and faculty offices; classrooms; the Journalism Resource Center; Kansas Scholastic Press Association; Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism; Journalism Career Center; Bremner Editing Center; William Allen White Foundation; and the editorial and advertising offices, newsroom and adviser for the University Daily Kansan. The Stan and Madeline Stauffer Multimedia Newsroom, which provides editing, broadcast and newsroom facilities, was dedicated Oct. 1, 2004, in the Dole Human Development Center, adjacent to Stauffer-Flint.
The hall was built in 1897-98 with a $21,000 gift from George A. Fowler, a Kansas City meatpacker and rancher, in honor of his father. Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens designed the limestone building, distinguished by a tower at the east end, as a practical shop and studio for engineering students. In 1949 a new shop was built south of Marvin and Lindley halls on Naismith Drive. The original building was remodeled, and the School of Journalism and the University Press moved in 1952 from the decrepit Chemistry/Medical Hall (“the Shack”) near Watson Library, which they had occupied since 1923. The building was renamed in honor of longtime professor Leon N. Flint, department chair 1916-41.
The Department of Journalism was established in the College in 1909; Flint had helped initiate the program in 1903. In 1945 the department became the William Allen White School of Journalism and Public Information in honor of the late Emporia publisher/editor/alumnus. In 1981 Topeka media magnate Oscar Stauffer donated $1 million for a complete renovation designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence; the building was renamed to honor him as well as Flint in 1982.
Opened in fall 1951, the hall houses 47 men in two-person suites. Designed by Raymond Coolidge, it was partly funded by Mrs. Lyle Stephenson in memory of her husband, a Kansas City insurance salesman and amateur entomologist. It was built on the eastern edge of the Brynwood estate property obtained from Acacia fraternity by Olin Templin in 1939.
Surging enrollments after 1900 made a new administration and classroom building necessary, and Chancellor Frank L. Strong (1902-1920) began petitioning the Legislature for funding. St. Louis architect Montrose Pallen McArdle was hired to design the building that Strong and the regents hoped would be “the center of the University architecture as well as the University life.” State Architect John Stanton, art professor William A. Griffith and College Dean Olin Templin advised. McArdle’s grandiose, $500,000 Classical Renaissance design had pillars, a rotunda, an art gallery and a classical museum. The Legislature balked, and the plans were scaled back, though echoes of the original exist; it now has a Classical Revival style.
Construction began on the east wing of the Administration Building in 1909; it was occupied by seven departments in 1911. Because of budget constraints, “West Ad” and “Center Ad” were completed in stages, ending in January 1924. The 130-room building, faced in buff terra cotta, housed the Graduate School and the schools of Fine Arts and Business; the departments of drawing/painting/design, psychology, mathematics, economics and philosophy; the chancellor’s and registrar’s offices; a chapel; and an auditorium. It was renamed for sixth chancellor Strong in 1934, after his death; in 1998 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Major renovations and upgrading were done in 1998. Strong now houses the offices and support staff for the chancellor, provost and registrar; the deans of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School and International Programs; the vice provost for information services; the executive vice chancellor for external affairs; the vice provost for student success; the Academic Åchievement and Access Center; Academic Services; Campus Mail; University Governance; and several student programs and services in tutoring, financial aid, disability needs and multicultural affairs. The third-floor auditorium is named for chemistry professor and longtime department chair Raymond Q. Brewster.
This complex of 283 apartments in 25 buildings was opened in 1957 and named for Ellis B. Stouffer (1884-1965), dean of the Graduate School 1922-45 and dean of the university 1945-51. It houses students who are married or who have children living with them. Units having one, two or three bedrooms are available. Continuing renovations will enlarge the complex into buildings having two three-bedroom units and six two-bedroom units (from the existing 12 apartments per building). Playgrounds, a children’s library and a laundry are available.
The $7.4 million center was dedicated Oct. 15, 2004, and was funded by $5 million in state bonds and $2.4 million from the KU Center for Research. Its centerpiece is the 800-megahertz magnetic resonance spectrometer, to be used in medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry research.
Student Recreation Fitness Center
1740 Watkins Center Drive 66045-7507
Increasing demand for both educational and recreational sports facilities spurred the decision in the late 1990s to build a new student center. The $17 million facility south of Watkins Memorial Health Center, funded by student fees, was dedicated Sept. 25, 2003. The 98,000-square-foot center, conceived by Ken Ebert Design Group of Manhattan, has a suspended track, a rock-climbing wall, cardiovascular and resistance training equipment, weight rooms, aerobic and martial-arts studios and basketball, volleyball and racquetball courts; swimming facilities are planned. It also houses the Recreation Services offices.
Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this 1929 building was originally the carriage house/garage of his home. It houses the student radio station KJHK-FM.
When it was dedicated April 9, 1960, this five-story yellow-buff brick building, designed by State Architect John Brink, was notable for the glass curtain wall on its south face. It occupies the site of eight World War II temporary buildings used as Sunnyside Apartments for married students. The School of Business, founded in 1924, and the Department of Finance, Economics and Decision Sciences are housed there, as are undergraduate programs in accounting, business administration, finance, information systems, management and marketing; master’s, joint master’s and doctoral programs; student support services; administrative and faculty offices; the Career Services Center, the Center for International Business Education and Research, the Ernst and Young Center for Auditing Research and Advanced Technology and the International Center for Ethics in Business; and the Richard S. Howey Reading Room, named for an emeritus professor of economics. A five-story addition, designed by Nearing and Staats of Mission and built by private donations, was dedicated Nov. 4, 1983.
Summerfield also was initially designed to house the University Computation Center, superseded in 1978 by the Computer Services Facility to the east. That space was redesigned for classrooms and offices in the early 1980s.
The building is named for Solon E. Summerfield (1877-1947), a Lawrence native whose father was a KU law professor. Summerfield earned bachelor’s and law degrees (1899, 1901) at KU and later moved to New York, where he founded the Gotham Silk Hosiery Co. In 1929 he endowed the Summerfield scholarship program for men.