Welcome to GeorgiaInfo | What's New | This Day in Georgia History | Instructional Handout Masters | Credits | CVIOG Home

General Info
Maps
Voter Info
Georgia Government
Counties
Cities
Special Purpose Governments
U.S. Government

UGA Athletic Grounds Historical Marker

UGA Athletic Grounds Historical Marker

UGA Historic Athletic Grounds Historical Marker

Located on , Athens

(Text)

HISTORIC ATHLETIC GROUNDS

 

This valley formed by Tanyard Creek is site of many great moments

in University of Georgia athletic history. In 1911, a football/baseball

facility with wooden grandstands, Sanford Field, was built here. The

Bulldog football team played in it until Sanford Stadium opened in

1929. The baseball team played here until 1943. That year, the

U.S. Navy constructed a pre-flight instruction facility on this site.

The building was named Stegeman Hall to honor Herman James

Stegeman, who coached football, basketball, baseball, and track, and

was athletic director (1923-27) and dean of men (1931-39). His 1919

baseball and 1920 football teams won their respective Southern Conference

championships. Stegeman Hall houses the swimming team, which won

men's Southeastern Conference titles in 1951, '52 and '55. Known as

one of the "fastest pools in the South," the facility hosted the 1956

U.S. Olympic Trials and was home pool to 70 UGA All-American swimmers.

Its functions having been transferred to the new Ramsey Student

Center on UGA's East Campus, Stegeman Hall was removed in 1996 in

preparation for the University's hosting of soccer, volleyball and

rhythmic gymnastics in the Olympic Games.

 

Photo: Ed Jackson

© Carl Vinson Institute of Government, The University of Georgia


Go to Georgia Historic Markers web site



This page has been accessed times from sites outside the Institute since November 16, 1999. This page was last modified on .
  ©2006 Carl Vinson Institute of Government
Text-Only Web Site
UGA | CVIOG | Contact Us