"deuce and a half" 2-1/2 ton cargo truck (Operational)
The M35 series of trucks was one of the most long-lived systems deployed by the Army. They were first fielded in the 1950's and continued to serve with various modifications into the late '90s in two dozen configurations. This model is an M35A2 2-1/2 ton cargo truck which could carry 5000 pounds cross country or 10,000 over roads.
Built by Reo, it is all wheel drive and equipped with a 210 hp, Continental LD-465, in-line 6 cylinder, multifuel diesel coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission and a 2-speed transfer case. Multifuel meant that the engine could be set up to run on almost any type of diesel fuel, jet fuel, gasoline, or heating oil.
Cargo Truck (Operational)
The M37 family of 3/4 ton trucks, a lightweight 4-wheel drive vehicle used to transport personnel and light general cargo, were updated versions of the rugged WC series Dodges of WWII. The M37s were equipped with 78 horsepower, in-line 6 cylinder engines, had greater cargo than the WWII Dodges, and had many mechanical improvements including a synchromesh transmission. Like most military trucks, it was usually equipped with a cloth top which could be rolled back in good weather to heighten the driver's awareness of enemy aircraft. Almost 48,000 M37 cargo trucks were built between 1950 and 1954 and later variants continued in production until 1968.
The M-37 is powered by a Dodge model T245 4-cycle L-head, in-line 6 cyl 230 cu in, 78 hp gasoline engine coupled with a 4-speed synchromesh manual transmission. With a fuel capacity of 24 gallons and a consumption rate of 9 mpg, this vehicle had a cruising range of 225 miles and a maximum allowable speed of 55 mph.
The M38 Jeep was used as a general purpose personnel or cargo carrier especially designed for adaptation to general reconnaissance, command, communications, or other special duties.
The first M-series Jeep to enter the military inventory was the Willys-Overland M38 (Model MC). The M38 was designed from the CJ3A civilian model and built by Willys from 1950 to 1952. Additional units were built for export in 1953 and 1955.
Built for a crew of 2, with space to carry 2 additional passengers, this vehicle is powered by a Willys Model MC L-head, 4 cycle, in-line, 4 cylinder, 134.2 cu in, 60 hp gasoline engine coupled with a Synchromesh 3-speed forward/1-speed reverse transmission and a 2-speed transfer case.
With a fuel capacity of 13 gallons, it had a cruising range of 225 miles and an allowable speed of 55 mph.
ton wrecker truck
The M108 Wrecker is used to tow, salvage, and recover disabled vehicles and equipment and for numerous repair operations. The M108 was not developed as a wrecker as the M60 had been, but was expected to be an all-purpose replacement for the M27 bomb handling truck of World War II. The M60 was developed after the M108 crane, when it became evident the M108 could become a light wrecker with the addition of a 20,000 pound rear winch and standard wrecking and salvaging tools and equipment.
Built by Reo, the M108 wrecker is powered by a Reo/Continental Model OA-331, 4-cycle, in-line 6 cyl, 331 cu in gasoline engine coupled with a 5-sped synchromesh transmission and a 2-speed transfer case. With a fuel capacity of 50 gallons, it had a cruising range of 350 miles and an allowable speed of 62 mps.
The M151A2 1/4 ton utility truck is the last of the vehicles commonly called jeeps and the last of the series of 1/4 tons used by the Army. Everything since has been larger. Built by Ford and AM General from 1960 to 1969 they saw service with all branches of service and served until the mid 80's when they were replaced by the HUMVEE. The vehicle had a very low silhouette and was powered by a 71 hp 4 cylinder in line engine with a 4-speed manual transmission and single speed transfer case and was 4 wheel drive. It had an independent coil spring front and rear suspension which gave it an excellent off road performance and a more comfortable ride. Unfortunately the suspension made it subject to rollovers in fast, hard turns when in the hands of inexperienced drivers so it was redesigned. This one has less than 500 miles on the odometer.
The Jeep was designed for a crew of 2 and could also carry 2 additional passengers.
With a fuel capacity of 17 gallons, it had a cruising range of 288 miles and a maximum speed of 66 mph.
Tractor Truck, 10 ton (Operational)
The M123A1C Truck, Tractor is a heavy duty vehicle intended primarily for use with a semi trailer in combat vehicle recovery.
Built by Mack, it is powered by a Cummins V-8, 785 cu in, 300 hp diesel engine, with a constant mesh 5-speed forward/1-speed reverse transmission and a 2-speed transfer case. It is equipped with a Garwood 45,000 lb capacity rear winch.
This vehicle has a fuel capacity of 166 gallons (83 in each tank), a cruising range of 350 miles, and a maximum speed of 43 mph.
Tractor Truck, 2-1/2 ton
(To be restored)
After World War II the Army was looking for replacements for its 2-1/2 ton trucks. After competition from GMC, Studebaker, and Reo, the GMC entry became the new "deuce and a half". The tractor version of GMC's M-series was known as the M221. It uses a shorter wheelbase that the M211 Cargo Truck or the M215 Dump Truck.
Produced from 1952-1957, this 6x6 truck had a crew of 2. It was powered by a GMC model 302, 6 cyl, in-line 301.6 cu in, 130 hp gasoline engine with an 8-speed Hydramatic transmission and a 1-speed transfer case.
With a fuel capacity of 56 gallons, it had a cruising range of 300 miles at its loaded consumption rate of 5.8 mpg. Its maximum allowable speed (governed) was 55 mph.
The mechanical mule is essentially a platform mounted on two axles and four wheels, with a 17 hp air-cooled flat opposed type gasoline engine under the platform at the rear. The light weight vehicle is designed to carry cargo over rough terrain at slow speeds with an extremely low silhouette and kept pace with rifle men at foot speeds in combat. The unit has four wheel drive, with three speeds forward and one reverse in the transmission. and a two speed transfer case. Some early models had four wheel steering. There is no suspension system, shock being absorbed by the low pressure tires. The steering gear is so constructed that the driver can dismount, disconnect the brace and hold the steering column in a horizontal position, and walk along side the vehicle. It was built originally by Willys, weighs 900 lbs., and has a top speed of 13 mph. An unusual feature is that it can carry more than it weighs.
ton Dump Truck
The M342A2 Dump truck is used to transport and dump earth, sand, gravel, coal, etc. It can also be used to transport general cargo and personnel. Body includes hinged cab protector, combination side racks and troop seats to accommodate eight combat equipped troops.
Built by Reo, it is powered by a Continental LD-465 multifuel, in-line 6 cylinder engine coupled with a 5-speed forward/1-speed reverse synchromesh manual transmission and a 2-speed transfer case.
Specifications: Length: 261 inches; Width: 107 inches; Height: 103 inches; Weight: 15,213 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 50 gallons
Dump Body: 2-1/2 cu yds with a twin cylinder hoist
CUCV Ambulance (Operational)
This is an M1010 ambulance which is part of the CUCV family of vehicles made from 1984 to 1987 and used up until the late 90's. CUCV stands for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle and this is basically a beefed up commercial truck. It was more economical to modify an existing civilian vehicle for limited tactical and non-tactical missions than to design a new system from the ground up.
Built by Chevrolet, it is powered by a Chevrolet DDA 62. diesel V-8, 150 hp 379 cu. in. engine coupled with a General Motors Turbo Hydramatic 400 3-speed automatic transmission and a 2-speed transfer case. The ambulance version could carry 4 stretcher patients or 8 walking wounded. It was air-conditioned and equipped with an air filtration system which would protect patients from chemical or biological weapons.
2 1/2 Ton
(To be restored)
Commonly referred to as the "DUCK", these vehicles became a legend in their own time and many still survive today. The initial intent was to develop a lighter vehicle that could ferry supplies from ships anchored offshore and drive right up over the beach to support the supply lines. The Duck's original design began in 1940 at the request of the commanding general of supply services, National Defense Research Committee. Prototypes were designed by Sparkman and Stephens of New York and built by the Yellow Truck and Coach Division of General Motors. GM produced 21,147 of them from 1943 to 1945 in Pontiac, Michigan.
The basic GMC model CCKW-353 truck chassis served as the foundation for the Duck. Added to that was a centrally controlled tire pressure system, a 25 inch propeller, a rudder, bilge pumps, and a watertight steel hull.
With a crew of 2, it is powered by a GMC Model 270, in-line, 6 cylinder, overhead valve, four cycle, 270 cu in, 91.5 hp gasoline engine coupled with a constant mesh 5-speed forward/1-speed reverse manual transmission and a 2-speed transfer case.
Specifications: Length: 31 feet; Width: 8 feet, 3 inches; Height: 8 feet, 10 inches; Weight: 14,880 lbs; GVW: 20,055 lbs; Cargo Capacity: 5,000 lbs or 25 men with their equipment; Fuel Capacity: 40 gallons; Cruising Speed: 240 miles land, 50 miles water; Top Speed: 50 mph land, 6 mph water.
V18A/MTQ Truck, Maintenance: Earth Boring Machine and Pole Setter "deuce and a half" auger truck
Designed to bore holes in the ground and set telephone poles, the Truck, Maintenance: earth boring machine and pole setter, 2-1/2 ton, 6x6, V18A/MTQ, mounted on Chassis, Truck: 2-1/2 ton 6x6, M44 has a modified M34 body. The tailgate of the body is removed and bedplate of body cut and reinforced at rear to support the earth boring machine, model "HD". The front part of bedplate, behind truck cab, is cut to mount a V18A, 15,000 pound rear winch. Mounts for collapsible cable reel, four earth augers, wheel chock with chain, pole-lifting jack, and support legs are bolted to body and chassis. The boring machine is equipped with integral derrick consisting of derrick tube, derrick sheave, snatch sheave, and a strap sheave. The boring machine and rear winch receive power from transfer power take-off through power divider, secured to rear winch mounting frame from underneath vehicle. The power divider is connected to transfer power take-off of truck. The machine is controlled by the control lever operating handle assembly mounted on left-hand side of boring machine. Rear winch is controlled from cab of vehicle through control lever linkage.
Built by Reo, the V18A/MTQ is powered by a Reo/Continental Model OA-331, 4-cycle, in-line 6 cyl, 331 cu in gasoline engine coupled with a 5-sped synchromesh transmission and a 2-speed transfer case.
M792 Gamma Goat Ambulance
(To be restored)
The M792 is the ambulance version of the M561 Gamma Goat, which was developed to address problems with mobility in the 1950's and 1960's. The prototype, the XM561, was built by Chance-Vought Aircraft Company and used an articulated coupling between the front and rear sections that allowed body roll, pitch, and turn, while still transmitting power to the rear axle. This articulation was designed by Roger L. Gamaunt, for whom the vehicle was named.
The earliest prototypes used an air-cooled Chevrolet gasoline engine, but by pre-production that had been replaced with a Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine.
After development by Ling-Temco-Vought, bids were solicited for production in 1966 with Kaiser Jeep, Consolidated Diesel Electric Company, and Ling-Temco-Vought bidding on it and CONDEC ultimately being awarded the contract.
Although the Gamma Goat was supposedly amphibious, it was only marginally successful in water, requiring a very slow (2mph) entry from a very gently sloping bank and a current of less than 4mph. The noise level of 95 decibels, resulting from the engine being in the operator's compartment, required the driver and co-driver to wear ear protection.
The vehicles were propelled in the water by their wheels and both halves were equipped with bilge pumps. The aluminum body was foam-filled for additional buoyancy.
The production model retained the Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine coupled with a 4-speed manual transmission and 2-speed transfer case.
Although some M561's were used in Vietnam, the Gamma Goat never really filled its role as a go-anywhere vehicle. This, coupled with its reputation for unreliability, led to its replacement with the HMMWV in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
[picture not available]
Water Purification Truck, Met-Pro Model 1500-2600 (To be restored)
The van-type body mounted water purification unit, Met-Pro Model 1500-2600, consists of water purifying equipment installed inside an insulated and heated van body, mounted on a 2-1/2 ton truck. The water purifying equipment consists primarily of the water treatment section, where raw water is mixed and treated with chemicals; the filter section, where chemically treated raw water has impurities removed; and necessary valves, piping, and controls to direct production of potable and palatable drinking water from fresh water at the rate of 1500 gallons per hour. Supporting equipment required for the unit includes a 10KW engine-driven generator set, mounted in a standard 1-1/2 ton cargo trailer. The water purification set is constructed for movement over rough terrain as well as smooth surfaced roads. Areas traveled are limited only by the capability of the truck upon which the water purification unit is mounted.
Manufactured by Met-Pro Water Treatment Corp. Environmental Tectonics Corp.
750 Fire Truck
(to be restored)
This is a 1952 Howe Model HR-7 fire truck manufactured by the Howe Fire Apparatus Company of Anderson, Indiana.
It is powered by a Hercules Model RXC, in-line, 6 cylinder gasoline engine with a 5-speed forward/1-speed reverse manual transmission.
Specifications: Length: 275 inches; Width: 93 inches; Height: 96 inches; Shipping Weight: 11,000 pounds; Max Allowable Payload: 5,540 pounds; Gross Weight: 16,450 pounds. Max Allowable Speed: 50 mph.
Tractor Truck, 5 ton (operational)
The 5-ton 6x6 models, which were introduced in the early 1950's, went through several changes denoted by the A1 and A2 suffixes to the M-series numbers. The A2 designation applied to the third version of the M-series 5 tonners. It is powered by a Continental LDS-465, 6 cyl in-line, 210 hp, 478 cu in multifuel engine (can be operated on CIE, gasoline, diesel, or JP-4) coupled with a manual 5-speed forward/1 reverse transmission and 2-speed transfer case and had a crew of 2.
Capacities: Fuel, 110 gallons; cooling system, 46 quarts; crankcase, 22 quarts.
This series was replaced by the M800 series 5-ton trucks in the early 1970's.
M818 tractor truck, 5 ton (operational)
In the early 1970's the Army began purchasing an updated version of the M-series 5-ton trucks. Known generally as the M800 models, the range included all of the basic types which had existed in the earlier series. The earlier fleet had been procured between 1952 and 1965, and many of them were well beyond the age and mileage limitations preferred by the Army. Hence, a new series of somewhat improved vehicles was deemed necessary. Starting in the 1980's, most of these trucks have been replaced by the M900 series 5-tons, although a few are still around.
Manufactured by AM General and operated by a crew of 2, this vehicle is powered by a Cummins NHC-250, 6 cyl, in-line, 855 cu in, 250 hp diesel engine coupled with a 5-speed forward/1-speed reverse manual transmission and 2-speed transfer case.
It has a fuel capacity of 110 gallons.
The M818 can tow a 25,000 pound load on improved roads, or 15,000 pounds cross-country.
Tractor Truck (C-HET), 22-1/2 ton
(one of two, doing what it does best) (operational)
The primary mission of the M911 Commercial Heavy Equipment Transporter (C-HET) is to evacuate a disabled main battle tank from the vehicle collection points back to repair facilities.
Close to 1200 of these trucks were built in the mid 1970's by Oshkosh Truck Corporation of Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
Specifications: Length: 370 in; width: 115 in; height: 142 in; weight: 38,233 lbs; with trailer and max load: up to 240,000 lbs gross.
This vehicle, operated by a crew of 2, is powered by a GMC Detroit Diesel, Model 8V-92T-90, 2 cycle, V-8, 736 cu in, 430 hp diesel engine, coupled with an Allison CLBT-750, 5-speed automatic transmission with a hydraulic retarder and lock-up clutch. It also has a Fuller AT-1202, 2-speed auxiliary transmission which also provides the PTO apertures. It is equipped with 2 Braden 45,000 pound capacity winches mounted behind the cab to pull disabled tanks onto the M747 HET 60-ton trailer.
As pictured, this combination weighs a total of 167,912 lbs, almost 84 tons! The individual weights are: Truck: M911 (C-HET) 38,233 lbs; Trailer: M747 (HET) 31,679 lbs; Combat Tank: M60 series, 98,000 lbs.
Believe it or not: This rig cannot haul our newest battle tank, the M1A1 Abrams, which weighs in at 63 tons. It is too heavy for the trailer!!
Truck, Van: 5-Ton Expansible (operational)
The M939 Series Truck combined with a M313 Expansible Semi-trailer becomes a M934 Truck Van Expansible. It is used to transport electronic base stations into the field, to serve as communications stations or electronic repair stations. With the installation of maintenance shop sets, it is used by personnel maintaining and repairing military equipment in the field. Without the shop sets, it makes a great portable field office. The van body comes equipped with 110 volt ac ceiling lights and service receptacles which become operational when hooked to an external power source.
This vehicle was built by AM General, has a crew/cab capacity of 3, and is powered by a Cummins NHC 250, 6 cyl, in-line, 855 cu in, 250 hp diesel engine with an Allison MT654CR 5-speed forward/1-speed reverse automatic transmission and 2-speed transfer case. It has a cruising range of 300 miles and a maximum speed of 54 mph.
This site designed by the Fort Snelling Military Museum Volunteers. Email the Museum
This site hosted by the U.S. Army Reserve 88th Regional Readiness Command. Email the Webmaster
This site is provided as a public service by the 88th Regional Readiness Command. This site is intended to be used by the public for viewing and retrieving information only. UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS to upload or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1987 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act. All information on this site is considered public information and may be distributed or copied.
THIS PAGE LAST UPDATED 01/21/06