A parlimentary report of 1777 recorded parish workhouses in operation at Banwell (for up to 25 inmates), Cheddar (24), Wedmore (40), Weston (10), and Winscombe (25).
Mark's parish workhouse, in use from 1797 until 1838, was situated on Vicarage Lane.
The Axbridge Poor Law Union formally came into being on 14th May 1836. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 49 in number, representing its 38 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):
County of Somerset:
Axbridge, Badgworth, Banwell (2), Berrow, Biddisham, Blagdon (2), Bleadon, Brean, East Brent, South Brent, Burnham with Aston Morris (2), Burrington, Butcombe, Chapel Allerton, Charterhouse, Cheddar (2), Christon, Churchill, Compton Bishop, Congresbury (2),
Hutton, Kewstoke, Locking, Loxton, Lympsham, Mark (2), Nyland with Batcombe, Puxton, Rowberrow, Shipham,
Uphill, Weare, Wedmore (3), Weston-super-Mare (2), Wick St Lawrence, Winscombe (2), Worle, Wrington with Broadfield (2).
Later Additions: Brent Knoll, North Highbridge (from 1896), South Highbridge (from 1896).
The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 28,794 with parishes ranging in size from from Nyland with Batcombe (population 52) to Wedmore (3,557). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1833-35 had been £11,615 or 8s.1d. per head of the population.
A new Axbridge Union workhouse was erected in 1837 at the south side of West Street in Axbridge. The Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £4,496.17s.6d on construction of the building which was intended to accommodate 250 inmates. It was designed by Samuel T Welch who was also the architect of workhouses at Wells and Clifton. His design for Axbridge was similar to that at Wells. The site location and layout are shown on the 1929 map below, by which time the workhouse had become officially known as Axbridge Poor Law Institution.
The main building had a T-shaped layout facing to the east.
In 1903, a new 72-bed infirmary was erected at the north-east of the workhouse. It was designed by A Powell of Bristol and had a total cost of just under £7,000. It had a "half-butterfly" layout, with men's wards at the east and women's at the west.
The site later became St John's Hospital. After its closure in 1993, the main building has been adapted for residential use. The former infirmary block is now used to provide residential care for the elderly.
In around 1916, Axminster set up a children's "cottage homes" site in a large house called Cliff (or Cliffe) View, on Tweentown in Cheddar.
This page last updated 10-Jun-2006 © Peter Higginbotham