Home > About PCPS News | About Poquoson | History of Poquoson
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Each Poquoson school has attained full accreditation status by the Virginia Department of Education and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, a regional accrediting agency encompassing twelve southern states.

The school system is comprised of four schools serving a total of nearly 2500 students, and staffed by approximately 195 instructional personnel.  The Poquoson Elementary School, with a current membership of 550 students in grades 3-5, was constructed in the 1950's with the latest addition completed in 1980.

Poquoson Middle School was constructed as a high school in the 1930's and now serves 630 students in grades 6-8.  Additions to the middle school were made in the 50's and 60's, and an entire new wing was completed in 1970.

Poquoson High School was constructed in 1975, with an addition in 1977 and a major renovation and addition project completed in 1998.  The high school has a membership of 840 students in grades 9-12.

The newest facility, Poquoson Primary School, opened in 1989 and serves 500 students in grades K-2.

The overall responsibility for the direction of the Poquoson School System rests with a seven member School Board.  Members of the Board are appointed by City Council for three year terms with each member serving no more the two consecutive terms.  Two members are appointed from each electoral precinct and one member is an at-large representative.  There is also a student representative to the School Board.  This representative presents student issues and keeps the student body informed of Board activities and decisions.  The School Board meets at 7 PM on the third Tuesday of each month in the City Hall Council Chambers.  Meetings are open to the public and televised locally on channel 46, soon to be on the School System channel 48.

The City of Poquoson, with a population of approximately 12,000 is located adjacent to Langley Air Force Base and NASA and with easy access to all major Tidewater cities. It has become one of the most desirable residential localities in the Tidewater area. Many of the newer residents of the city specifically selected Poquoson as their home because of the reputation for excellence enjoyed by its school system. Poquoson combines the benefits of small town friendliness and pride with the cultural, professional and educational advantages of a major metropolitan area.

"Poquoson," an Indian word for either "flat land" or "great marsh", is believed to be one of the older English-speaking communities in America that still bears its original name. The City encompasses 14.7 square miles of land, of which, 4,398 acres are salt marsh wetlands. Plum Tree National Wildlife Refuge together with privately owned salt marsh lands make up the largest saline marsh in the lower Chesapeake Bay. The City has 89 miles of shoreline.

The first mention of Poquoson in Colonial records is contained in a land grant issued to Christopher Calthorpe by a court at Elizabeth City in 1631. By 1635 Messick Point was an important port for the shipping of tobacco, the prime industry of the area until the War of 1812 when the seafood industry was begun by settlers from the Eastern Shore.

General agriculture and seafood related businesses remained the predominant activities of the City until the construction of Langley Field prior to World War I. The Field then presented the residents with attractive employment opportunities.

Since World War II Poquoson has been a residential community for people working all over the Peninsula.

Poquoson, which was part of York County for over three centuries, became an independent Town in 1952 and was chartered as a City in 1975. Some constitutional services such as the Court, sheriff and jail continue to be handled by York County.

Return to the Top

About PCPS | Information | Academics | Area Schools | School Information
 Plans and Programs | Employment | Directory | Community Classes | Administration | Division Policies

E-mail Web Master/Author