Park County, Wyoming
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places 5/21/63
The Wapiti Ranger Station, which is located in the Shoshone National Forest about 30 miles west of Cody, Wyoming, was built in 1903. It was the first ranger station constructed in the United States at federal expense. It was also located in the first national forest reserve which was established by President Benjamin Harrison in 1891. The Wapiti Ranger Station was built as a supervisory ranger station for the Shoshone division of the Yellowstone Timberland Reserve.