District: About Haverford - History of the School District
History of the School District of Haverford Township
Take a look back ...
The first recorded purchase of land for educational purposes in Haverford Township was made on October 28, 1797. A stone structure erected on this site was a school until 1872. Today, known as the Federal School, the
building still stands and serves as a window to history for Haverford Township children. Every fourth-grade student spends a day at the Federal School learning what it was like to be a student in 1797.
After the Federal School, a series of classroom buildings accommodated Haverford's growing population of children.
In 1830, the Old School, now a private home, was constructed on the east side of Earlington Road between Mill and Strathmore roads. Classroom instruction continued there for 60 years. In 1846, the Haverford Seminary or the Edgewood School was built. Classes continued in this one-room school house until 1879 when the building was destroyed by fire.
On South Darby Road at Manoa Road, the Redmont School was built and was used until 1899. Penn Hall, a two-story school built in 1872, was located on a point of land between the south corner of Coopertown and Darby roads. This is referred to as the original Coopertown School. It closed in 1912. The Preston School on Martin Avenue was erected in 1876 and was used for nearly 75 years. In 1879, the original Manoa School, a two-story structure, was built on the property of John Leedom on the south side of Eagle Road. It was the neighborhood school until 1897 when the present Manoa School was built on Manoa Road at Furlong Avenue.
The Llanerch School was built in 1905 and still stands on Darby road. It served as the high school until 1910. The Oakmont School was built on Eagle Road at Hathaway Lane in 1912 to serve as the new high school. It remained the high school until 1923. The Chestnutwold School, at the corner of Loraine Street and Belmont Avenue, was constructed in 1908, and the Brookline School was erected in 1913 on Earlington Road between at Sagamore Road. Both continued as an elementary school until 1985. Brookline now houses the district's before and after school day care subsidiary and other special programs. A senior citizens' center occupies the lower floor. The Chestnutwold School was demolished to make way for a new school in 2005.
With the dawn of a new decade and World War I behind the country, Haverford Township began experiencing another wave of expansion. In 1923, the new Haverford High School on Darby Road was completed. It was
expanded to include a junior high school in the 1930s and now serves as the Haverford Middle School and Haverford's administrative offices.
New school construction followed the end of World War II and the growth of the suburbs. In 1951, the Lynnewood School was built on Lawrence Road near Eagle Road. The expansion had just begun. In 1955, the Chatham Park School was built at Allston and Glen Arbor roads after the construction of a new development on the surrounding streets and lanes.
In 1958, The new Coopertown School was built in the Bryn Mawr. In the midst of this population explosion, school directors realized a new high school was in order. In 1956, the new Haverford High School was constructed on Mill Road creating a complex of fields and buildings with the now Haverford Middle School. Renovations and additions to all school have been an on-going process at each of the districts seven schools.
As the last decade of the 20th Century began, Haverford's school community was asked to design the high school for the 21st century. The renovated and expanded Haverford High School was completed in 1999. Along with additional classrooms, the school gained state-of-the-art science labs, a community area, a new library and a new cafeteria. The much-anticipated New Chestnutwold School opens September 5, 2006 and is the district's first new construction in 47 years. The new building promises to be both an excellent learning facility and and community
center for its Ardmore Park neighbors.