Soon after 1900, some 373 miles of the original Central Pacific (now Southern Pacific) line between Reno and Ogden, Utah, was rebuilt. The work involved shortening of the line in some places. One such change took Wadsworth (Nevada), a division terminal, off the main line. During the summer of 1904 the terminal was moved to this location, which became the town of Sparks.
A huge 40-stall locomotive roundhouse was dismantled in 1959.
Still standing are the machine and erecting shops.
Had it not been for the railroad yards being moved here, the City of Sparks would not exist.