those who revel in history,
Historic District offers 640
acres of vintage homes, historic
sites, museums, monuments,
churches and cemeteries, with
122 acres of area listed on
the National Register of Historic
Places. Begin your explorations
at the Historic Roswell Visitors
Center where you will enjoy
a video of the area, view some
exhibits, and receive printed
materials and information.
The Visitors Center is located
at the intersection of Atlanta
Street (Hwy. 9) and Sloan Street,
in the Town Square area.
The Nature Center offers
woodland trails, marsh
boardwalk, exhibits, wildflower
gardens and native wildlife. A nature lover’s paradise.
These remains are located on Big Creek near its confluence with the Chattahoochee
River. The woolen mill was burned by federal troops in 1864, during the
Atlanta Campaign. Women operatives of the mill were sent north after Roswell’s
capture so that their skills would not benefit the Confederacy. The mill
stood from about 1855 until 1864 and then was rebuilt by Barrington King and
his son, James Roswell King (1827-1897).
Roswell founders had to cross the river in carriages, wagons and on horseback.
Confederate soldiers burned the bridge to slow the Union’s advancement
Built as the residence and office for the manager of Ivy Woolen Mill. He hoisted
a French flag in an effort to save the mills and his home during the Civil War. Union
troops destroyed the mills, but left the house.
This rock shelter is a scenic and cultural resource similar to others found along
the Chattahoochee and its tributaries. The shelters were used by Indian inhabitants
of the area as living quarters. The site is located at the end of an old railroad
cut (post Civil War).
This house is located along South Atlanta Street. Architect Neel Reid (1885-1926)
designed the front entrance of the house. H.I. Weaver remodeled the place in
1916. Reid was well known for houses in Atlanta and Macon. He designed the gardens
at Mimosa Hall and designed and built the Brantley-Newton House on Mimosa Blvd.
Hall (c. 1842)
Built for Roswell King’s
son, Barrington, the
home took five years to construct.
It has been described as one of metro Atlanta’s most beautiful homes and
is recognized as one of the best examples of Greek Revival Temple Architecture
in the United States (open for tours)
Square (1839) and Town Square Shops (1840-1854)
Roswell King’s New England background is evident throughout the town and
in particularly in its “Town Square” pattern. A commissary
built across from the Square (original building still stands) was actually a
general store that sold tonic, wine, sugar, sundries and most provisions, except
The home of Emily Dolvin Visscher, President Jimmy Carter’s aunt. (private
Completed in 1839 for Major James Stephens Bulloch, this magnificent house was
the childhood home of Mittie Bulloch. In December 1853, Mittie married Theodore
Roosevelt in the dining room of Bulloch Hall. Little did those in attendance
realize they were witnessing a union that would produce a U.S. President, Teddy
Roosevelt. (open for tours)
Originally built in 1842 and called “Dunwody Hall,” the structure
was of wood but burned during its house-warming. It was rebuilt of brick covered
with stucco and scored to resemble stone (completed in 1847). Private Residence.
Holly Hill (1846)
Built in the raised cottage style as a summer home for Savannah cotton broker
Robert Adams Lewis, whose wife was Roswell King's niece.
Built in 1839 as the first permanent home in Roswell. Now serves as an events
Completed in 1840, the church was used as a hospital for Union soldiers during
the Civil War.
Great Oaks (1842)
Great Oaks (1842)
residence of Rev. & Mrs. Nathaniel Pratt. Local clay was used for the bricks,
which were hand-molded by slave labor. The Pratts remained in the house during
the Civil War, even though General Garrard headquartered there and his troops
encamped on the lawns. (an events facility)
Teaching Museum North
Housed on the site of the original Academy, Roswell’s first school, featuring
exhibits depicting the history of Roswell, the U.S. and Georgia. (open
House (c. 1850)
Frances Minhinnett, an English stonemason and landscape gardener who helped build
many of Roswell’s early structures, built this small frame house on Mimosa
Blvd. A rock foundation encloses the basement kitchen and its fireplace.
Designed by renowned architect Neel Reid when he was living in Roswell as owner
of Mimosa Hall. (private residence)
Built in 1894. Currently used as a special events facility.
of “The Castle”
Originally called Labyrinth, Roswell King’s first Roswell residence site.
Home to a variety of unique shops, stores, restaurants and art galleries.
John Minton fought with General Andrew Jackson and Davy Crockett on the Georgia
frontier. When the War Between the States began, he once more offered his services.
During the first battle he was injured and sent home. (currently offices)
Goulding House (1857)
Home to Dr. Francis R. Goulding, minister, author and inventor. In 1842,
he invented a sewing machine but never had the machine patented
Founders Hall (1873)
Originally owned by Roswell’s first veterinarian; now an events facility.
on this site was reportedly built for H.W. Proudfoot who served as mill manager.
Today it serves as a special events facility.
Perry House (1880)
Home to one of Roswell’s early merchants and the developer of the north
end of town. A reconstructed log structure moved to the property now serves as
Roswell Cemetery (1848)
Originally the Methodist Church Cemetery.
Became the Masonic Hall in 1952.
Here you may observe antique alarms and bells, and other items showing the evolution
of Roswell’s Volunteer Fire Department.
Completed in 1845, the Smith Home is one of Roswell's historic treasures
complete with original out-buildings. A wonderful example of a well-to-do family
in early Georgia. (open for tours.)
Cultural Arts Center
Site of numerous plays, performances and community events. Roswell Historical
Society/City of Roswell Research Library and Archives is located on the 2nd floor.
Municipal Complex & Vietnam War Memorial
Church Cemetery (1840)
Many of Roswell’s most outstanding citizens are buried here, including
Archibald Smith and his wife Anne Margaret McGill Smith.
Roswell Visitors Center
Across from Town Square,
the Visitors Center offers
an enjoyable video of the area,
historical exhibits, and helpful
information about what to do
of the Old Bricks (1840)
Built for the employees of the Roswell Mill, “The Bricks” were among
the oldest apartments in the United States. Used as a hospital for Union troops
during the Civil War.
Mill Workers of Roswell Monument
Located in Old Mill
Park on Sloan Street, the
monument is dedicated to
the 400 women who were
sent north when during
the Civil War the Union
Army occupied Roswell.
Their fates remain a mystery.
Cemetery (Sloan Street)
Contains the graves of some of Roswell’s founding families, including Roswell
King, James Bulloch, and John Dunwody. Unmarked graves are those of the family
Creek & Dam
A 30-foot dam and millrace were constructed on Vickery Creek in the mid-to-late
1830s to supply power for the mills.
The first mill in Roswell was fully operative by 1839. During the Civil War,
the Roswell Mills were leading manufacturers of materials used for the Confederacy. The
mill standing today was built in 1882. It has been restored as offices.
Creek Covered Pedestrian Bridge
This bridge was constructed in 2005 to connect Vickery Creek Park and the Chattahoochee
River National Recreation area, just across the creek. The National Park
property contains Allenbrook, an antebellum home constructed between 1845-1857.
Entrance to the dam and old mill ruins can be accessed from this area.
The 1853 Machine Shop is the only extant building left of the original 1839 Roswell
Manufacturing Company. The building is a two story brick building and is late
Georgian in style. The trail to the left of the Machine Shop will lead
to the old mill ruins and the dam.