Point Lighthouse Museum
The Piney Point Lighthouse Museum, flooded and closed by Hurricane
Isabel in 2003, is now relocated on higher ground on the park's northern
campus. This two-story structure currently houses the Lighthouse Lens
Museum Store and offers restrooms and visitor information. The museum
exhibits are being developed and installed in the museum building's first
floor, a project that will continue into 2006.
HOURS OF OPERATION
The grounds of
the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Park are open sunrise to
sunset 7 days a week.
The Museum and Lighthouse Lens Museum Store are open Friday
through Monday, 12 noon to 5 p.m., May through October. Special
opening in December for the holiday season. Please call for dates
docking facilities are available.
for students and adults are available by pre-arrangement with the
$3 adults, $1.50 Children 6 - 18, Free Children 5
Point Lighthouse Museum & Park are A.D.A. compliant.
For Directions Click
Lighthouse Museum and Park
Clement’s Island-Potomac River Museum,
38370 Point Breeze Road,
Point, Maryland 20626
Exhibits will focus on the construction and operation of the
lighthouse, the role of the United States Coast Guard, the attraction of
the Piney Point area as a get away for the social elite, and the story of
the Black Panther U-1105 German submarine sunk in the Potomac that now
serves as Maryland's first historic shipwreck dive preserve.
Lighthouse Lens Museum Store
The museum store offers an array of Piney Point Lighthouse souvenirs,
nautical gifts, books, jewelry, clothing, children's corner and more! The
store is operated by the Friends of the St. Clement's Island and Piney
Point Museums with proceeds returning to support museum programs, projects
and exhibits. The Lighthouse Lens is your destination for unique quality
gifts. And for the "one who has everything," consider a gift membership to
The Friends! Museum members receive a 10% discount on store purchases.
The Potomac River Maritime Exhibit
Also located on the northern campus is the building that houses the
collection of four historic wooden vessels on loan from the Paul
Hall School of Maritime Training and Education. The collection is
comprised of a 67-foot skipjack (Joy Parks), an 84-foot bugeye
(Dorothy A. Parsons), a log canoe, and Potomac River dory boat.
exhibit focuses on the life of the watermen who
sustained a livelihood working the waters of the Potomac for crabs, fish
Piney Point Lighthouse Grounds and Pier
Come by boat! The Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Park is also
accessible by boat, offering a sturdy handicap accessible pier with
accompanying step down platform. The pier connects to the wooden boardwalk
that surrounds the lighthouse grounds. The scenic riverside venue of the
lighthouse offers guests not only an aesthetic panorama and serene escape
but comfortable benches and picnic tables to accommodate an extended
Piney Point Lighthouse
Lighthouse of Presidents”
Built in 1836, the
Piney Point Lighthouse and keeper’s quarters are located 14 miles up the
Potomac River from the Chesapeake Bay. This beacon stands preserved today
as a witness to a bygone era of high society entertaining American
Presidents such as James Monroe, Franklin Pierce, Theodore Roosevelt and
other notables including Daniel Webster, Daniel C. Calhoun, and later,
the inimitable Kate Smith.
The lighthouse and
keeper’s quarters were built by master lighthouse builder, John Donahoo
for the contracted price of $5000. The circular tower stands 35 feet tall
from its base to the coping and the walls are 3 feet 10 inches thick at
the base and 2 feet 3 inches at the parapet. This lighthouse was the
tenth of the 12 lighthouses built by Donahoo in his lifetime.
Piney Point Lighthouse was a working beacon from 1836 until 1964 when it
was decommissioned by the United States Coast Guard. This lighthouse
served river navigators through the Civil War years, the steamboat era,
and both World Wars as witness to U.S. munitions testing. In 1980
the vacated property was deeded to St. Mary’s County by the federal
Time and tide had
taken its toll by the time preservation efforts of the Piney Point
Lighthouse began in earnest in 1990 by the Museum Division of St. Mary’s
County Department of Recreation and Parks. The Lighthouse was restored
and the outbuildings were renovated. The Keeper’s Quarters are a private
residence for security and grounds keeping purposes. The recently
restored tower steps allow visitors a bird's-eye view of the area at the
Annual Piney Point Celebration in May. Additional tower openings will be
announced when scheduled.
1849 John N.
Take 495/95 to exit 7a (Route 5 south to Waldorf). Follow Route 5 south
through Leonardtown to Callaway. Turn right on Route 249. Drive 9 miles
to Piney Point making a right onto Lighthouse Road
to the end.
Take State Route
301 to 234 east to Leonardtown. Turn right on Route 5 South through
Leonardtown to Callaway. Turn right on Route 249. Drive 9 miles to Piney
Point making a right onto Lighthouse Road
to the end.
Click Here for directions from MapQuest