Sister Cities of Flint

Contents

*      History

*      Mission                                                     

*      Board of Directors

*      Related Links

*      Contact Information

 

History

On a national level, the sister cities movement began on a small scale shortly after the end of World War II, but gained momentum in 1956 when former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed the “People to People” citizen-diplomacy program in the hopes that personal relationships among the world’s people would lessen the chances of future world conflict. Sister Cities International, with which Sister Cities of Flint is affiliated, became a separate non-profit corporation in 1967 as a result of the tremendous growth and popularity of the initiative.

 

Long before its incorporation on March 23, 1990, Sister Cities of Flint was actively involved in the citizen-diplomacy movement. In fact, through the CANUSA games which date back to 1958, Flint and Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) hold the distinction of having the oldest continuous sister-city relationship between a U.S. and Canadian city. Through the years, Flint has explored relationships with several cities around the world, including Trujillo, Peru, and Kielce, Poland. Formal, official relationships, however, are limited to Hamilton, Canada; Changchun, China; and Togliatti, Russia, although unofficial relationships link Flint to Suhum, Ghana, and Zaporozhye and Melitopol, Ukraine.

 

Mission

Sister Cities of Flint is dedicated to promoting citizen diplomacy nationally and internationally.

 

Board of Directors

Pamela Bakken, Executive Director

Linda Leser, President

Lawrence Ford, Vice President

Jerry Preston, Treasurer

Sally Jaeger, Secretary

Richard Cordell

Lewis Driskell

Bruce Edwards

John Freeman

Raymond Hall

Joyce Keys

Mike McPherson

Paul O’Donnell

James Whitinger

Marie Zuk

 

Related Links

*      http://www.sister-cities.org/

 

Contact Information

Mailing Address

316 Water St.

Flint, MI 48502

E-mail address

mailto:pbakken1@gfn.org

Office phone

810.767.7110

 

Back to top

 

Last revised: 6-13-06